Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The source could just be reporting what was told to him by Julen’s camp. It’s very possible this “promise” was leaked to put pressure on the club even though they told Julen money would be tight.

Or maybe they’ve just been continuously lying! I just find it a little hard to believe they’d move the goalposts a second time like that.

We’ve signed Tom King and Matt Doherty. It is clear they do not want to spend.

Rowzed

Reaction score
If JL does indeed depart,as looks likely, I'd sooner have Rob Edwards than O'Neill,at least he's a wolf.
me too, though Edwards is in a job where almost whatever happens the next step for him is up. He doesn’t need to leave Luton yet, he can gain PL experience at no risk. Everyone expects them to sink.

Wolves is different gravy, we have a much better squad than Luton and whatever people think of Lopetegui, when he’s gone his mythology will be defined by what the next man does: fail and JL is a hero, succeed and he is remembered as the man who undid Lage‘s mess, as Lambert was to Zenga

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Schrödinger’s box…….

is JL going or staying?

Anyone else hoping that it can still work out? Are Wolves prepared to pay the price by letting JL walk?
Or do you not give in to blackmail and call him a taxi?
I don’t want Wolves to cut off their nose despite their face.

Bottom line, we need JL to stay.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Schrödinger’s box…….

is JL going or staying?

Anyone else hoping that it can still work out? Are Wolves prepared to pay the price by letting JL walk?
Or do you not give in to blackmail and call him a taxi?
I don’t want Wolves to cut off their nose despite their face.

Bottom line, we need JL to stay.

He's gone quite obviously.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't understand why all the anger is being directed at Julen. He is the one that was lied to/misled over transfer funds. If he leaves it will be down to Shi. If we get O'Neill it will Shi's decision. If we get relegated, it will be down to Shi.

They’ve spent a fortune for him, Cunha, Gomes, Traore, Sarabia, Dawson, Bentley this year and now Doherty in as a free.

Apart from neves no one who left was a regular starter and he’s had Sasa and Fabio added to the mix.

If he is the coach he says he is then work with what you have and ride out the financial constraints they aren’t forever. Instead he’s sending a message to his players he doesn’t think they are good enough, terrible man management as it is.

If he looks at the league and doesn’t think he can finish above Luton, Sheff United, Bournemouth, Forest, Everton as a bare minimum we’re better off without him

NJWolves69

Groupie
Reaction score
We’ve signed Tom King and Matt Doherty. It is clear they do not want to spend.
Not wrong (even though the window is still open), but it’s more a matter of if this was communicated to Julen when they met after the season. Which I feel like it was.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The source could just be reporting what was told to him by Julen’s camp. It’s very possible this “promise” was leaked to put pressure on the club even though they told Julen money would be tight.

Or maybe they’ve just been continuously lying! I just find it a little hard to believe they’d move the goalposts a second time like that.
When the news came out that Lopetegui was staying, Sources from Wolves' side said there was money for £8-15m caliber players & that Lopetegui was happy to commit to Wolves & these plans to bring them in. Again - It's not happened & the promise of players has been broken.

Percy

"It is also understood that any new signings will be in the £8-15 million bracket, following a £200 million spend last season under owners Fosun.

Lopetegui has spoken extensively with sporting director Matt Hobbs since the end of the season and is relishing the prospect of taking Wolves forward, after guiding the club to Premier League survival."

Last edited:

so-called fan

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Lopetegui's done exactly what he said he'd do back in May.

He agreed to stay on the basis that Fosun promised to back him with signings. It obviously hasn't happened.

Reports from Relevo in Spain (who broke the news in the first place) said back in May that he agreed to stay as he was promised there would be more arrivals than departures, and if not, tensions would return again in August.

Fosun lying to make him stay has caused this & now they're dealing with the consequences. If they couldn't see this happening, then they're more naive than I thought.
Those reports were Pete's spin on things though. He, or somebody close to him, was feeding the stuff to the reporters. It's hardly unbiased reporting.

T

TheConcourse

When the news came out that Lopetegui was staying, Sources from Wolves' side said there was money for £8-15m caliber players & that Lopetegui was happy to commit to Wolves & these plans to bring them in. Again - It's not happened & the promise of players has been broken.

Percy

"It is also understood that any new signings will be in the £8-15 million bracket, following a £200 million spend last season under owners Fosun.

Lopetegui has spoken extensively with sporting director Matt Hobbs since the end of the season and is relishing the prospect of taking Wolves forward, after guiding the club to Premier League survival."

The people defending Jeff want to disregard this for some reason.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I havn't read through all the posts but all I know is that this whole situation is utterly mad. To lose such a good manager under any circumstances is ridiculous. Clearly he was told untruths at some point and both he and Hobbs were led to believe there would be at least some funds available this summer for incomings. The goalposts were changed seemingly without any proper consultation with either of them. Rank bad management by Shi.
So here we are losing Loptegui, a proven international manager and apparently replacing him with O'Neil whose track record bar a period with Bournemouth last season is pretty much zero. Unbelievable. A yes man who will be cheap and cause no ripples. Talk about diminishing the status of the club at one stroke. And for what-is it Jeff's ego on the line here which is going to cost the club so dearly? Why could he not have acceded to a small deal or two to cover obvious gaps in the squad and assured Loptegui of future funds next summer? Why could he not as chairman have got Loptegui's confidence especially with the pre season going well and the squad looking so well drilled and full of potential.

If all this comes to pass and O'Neill is appointed this will go down as a new low for the club in recent history. And guess what once we start losing matches the panic button will be pushed and I would bet on another manager coming in post Christmas as Shi panics again.

Loptegui mentioning his disappointment at the sudden turnaround in transfer policy is hardly earth shattering. Surely he could have been persuaded to keep up the good work with the promise of normal service returning next summer. The players are clearly behind him and what was needed was for Shi to work far more closely and honestly with Loptegui.

I am not saying Loptegui is an angel but at this stage in his career he does not want to keep fighting relegation battles. There is a clear need for a couple of reinforcements-that is all and not Scott or similar, just a solid CB and perhaps another midfielder or striker...possibly on loan if necessary. It seems instead that Shi has completely shut up shop in the transfer market despite the £90 odd million that has been brought in with the threat of further outgoings. Any manager worth their salt would be unhappy with this.

The repercussions of this imbecility could be enormous....not only will player morale be destroyed but I can see a lot of upcoming defeats under O'Neill who is an absolute novice in the Premier League and of very average repute bar his efforts in the second half of last season. And guess what, despite that, mighty Bournemouth did not retain him. And yet it seems he may become our new manager. Extraordinary, ridiculous, **** poor all round. Only at Wolves.... surely Shi's position must be under review once the poor results start mounting up and supporters' protests and anger make themselves increasingly felt.
Above all I feel sorry for the players - they have been badly let down. And so have we the supporters. Just when a feeling of optimism was sprouting after the last couple of team performances.....now all that is crushed. Loptegui is not a yes man and that is what Shi wants now....seemingly whatever the cost.

PS How many millions will it cost to pay off Loptegui and his large coaching team? Enough to buy an effing CB or more!

Last edited:

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Percy

And as you say, the goalposts have moved again.

Unbelievable. £8-15m players was not an unreasonable expectation.

FOSUN have ****ed us.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fans need to stop thinking we’re shopping at the level of Potter.

It will be O’Neil, or an otherwise unheard of Portugueser. But I suspect we’ve cut our ties with Mendes now.
Somebody mentioned Hassenhuttl, who may no be a bad short-term option. Plays a high press, just like JL, so he's got the players to do that.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Those reports were Pete's spin on things though. He, or somebody close to him, was feeding the stuff to the reporters. It's hardly unbised reporting.
You mean his contact directly from Wolves? As that's where he gets his news from.

You can't claim the source in Spain is unreliable as it "could've come from Loeptegui's camp", yet when a source comes from the Wolves side saying exactly the same thing, dismiss it as being biased too!

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They’ve spent a fortune for him, Cunha, Gomes, Traore, Sarabia, Dawson, Bentley this year and now Doherty in as a free.

Apart from neves no one who left was a regular starter and he’s had Sasa and Fabio added to the mix.

If he is the coach he says he is then work with what you have and ride out the financial constraints they aren’t forever. Instead he’s sending a message to his players he doesn’t think they are good enough, terrible man management as it is.

If he looks at the league and doesn’t think he can finish above Luton, Sheff United, Bournemouth, Forest, Everton as a bare minimum we’re better off without him

I do think thats a very good point - We do have to balance the books that's business.
Bigger clubs spend because they have bigger incomes
It is pretty quiet transfer wise in the league

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cowardice from Shi, he's out of the Country
Hardly cowardice.
He‘s probably on holiday visiting extended family, a wedding of a cousin etc.
He probably thought that JL was on board. The last thing Jeff wanted just before the season starts is this power play from JL.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Strange how not one player afaik has said a dicky bird about JL leaving, so p[erhaps this all *******s and clickbait

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unbelievable the club are effectively sacking JL and replacing him with O-****ing-Neil, Jesus wept.
Has JL been told that Scott and Elvedi won't be signed, or not unless someone like Nunes or Cunha are sold?
Strange we can't find the money for 2 players but can find it for ****ing JL and his team off.
Fosun out

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont see much hate toward O'Neiil here. In fact I think most including myself have sympathy for the guy.
But you cant honestly think that what he did at Bournemouth qualifies him for the job at Wolves? 39 points from 36 games isnt exactly a major achievement
And with regards to working with the players. He was there already coaching them, when appointed. Its not like they were strangers to him. He knew the squad, their strenghts and weaknesses.
True, but the squad he inherited was far poorer than what Lopetegui inherited, they had lost their previous three games 3-0, 4-0 and 9-0 and the previous manager had thrown his toys out of the pram like Lopetegui is now and said he hadn't been backed enough in the transfer window and it wasn't possible to keep them up. The job he did to keep them up was very impressive. Like i said he wouldn't be my choice but I don't see why we'd be certainties for relegation if he came in given what he did with a far poorer squad last season, I'd at least give him a chance.

If Lopetegui wants out though he should just reign, this talk of a pay-off and mutual agreement stinks. What has he done to deserve anything more than what he has already been paid to date? He's a snake.

Last edited:

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I imagine we'll hear from the club tonight? It's been reported that JL has left Compton so I imagine the bare bones of the agreement are done and dusted. I guess it depends if they want to announce his departure and the new incoming manager at the same time. Time to switch Twitter notifications on from the official Wolves account.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hardly cowardice.
He‘s probably on holiday visiting extended family, a wedding of a cousin etc.
He probably thought that JL was on board. The last thing Jeff wanted just before the season starts is this power play from JL.
It's insane the stories people will tell themselves, eh? lol

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This should of happened months ago
JL threw his own country under the bus at a world cup

He's just a mercenary manager
Any decent manager woukd of kept us up last year

The money was spent last year and in January

Good riddance best wolves squad great job for someone
You told us it was rubbish yesterday?

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s clear that the goalposts have been moved again. Lopetegui had agreed to stay and was satisfied with the transfer strategy - something has clearly changed since then.

I assume this is down to the money that Fosun are demanding from the club which would also explain why Hobbs and Shi have been to China recently - maybe trying to get this decision, at least, deferred.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People here claim fosun read this forum….

Well this reaction and the venom coming from this being the case and the rumour Ed front runner shows us two things;

They are remedial when it comes to running a football club

They only read the positive stuff and ignore the rest…. Which isn’t a good way to run a club.

If they do appoint the clown that is O’Neil, then it perfectly displays the two points above with the Cherry of, even when the distain for their crap decision is almost universal they don’t give enough of a **** to care as they already took our season ticket money at the increased rate of thinking we were going to see JL build on last season.

Robbing *******s!!! Putting up season tickets every year for a lesser and lesser quality product…..,

so-called fan

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You mean his contact directly from Wolves? As that's where he gets his news from.

You can't claim the source in Spain is unreliable as it "could've come from Loeptegui's camp", yet when a source comes from the Wolves side saying exactly the same thing, dismiss it as being biased too!
'Tensions will return' is clearly a threat, and has to have come from Lopetegui's side.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
'Tensions will return' is clearly a threat, and has to have come from Lopetegui's side.
Of course, but do you really think he didn't tell Wolves that too? He literally only agreed to stay on & commit provided there'd be signings in the first place. If this wasn't an issue, there wouldn't have been doubts about his tenure at the end of last season & talks over the strategy for the summer in the first place!

The promise for signings is right there to see in both the reports from Spain & Wolves' side with Percy/Keen/Madeley etc.

Back
Top Bottom