Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get where you’re coming from but most were saying the squad needs gutting and rebuilding towards the end of the season, perhaps that’s just what they’re doing and they’re looking to see how much they can extract fee wise before pulling the trigger on signings they’ve lined up (possibly with deals in the works for higher and lower value players whilst we wait to see what kind of budget is available).

I’m sure it’s been said Lopetegui’s first summer at Sevilla had a huge player turnover, perhaps it’s same again.

Also the concerns about the club being half ***** this summer based on the past isn’t necessarily an indicator either as there’s a fair few new faces behind the scenes now, namely Hobbs.

Let’s see what happens over the next few weeks, there aren’t many I’m desperate to keep. I just hope we get things moving along quickly and start to see some incomes soon too, squad was never going to be ready by 1st July but let’s hope it’s near enough sorted by the first game of the season, unlike last summer.
We've just had two rebuilds. We need to lose some of our 8 wingers not our best players.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get where you’re coming from but most were saying the squad needs gutting and rebuilding towards the end of the season, perhaps that’s just what they’re doing and they’re looking to see how much they can extract fee wise before pulling the trigger on signings they’ve lined up (possibly with deals in the works for higher and lower value players whilst we wait to see what kind of budget is available).

I’m sure it’s been said Lopetegui’s first summer at Sevilla had a huge player turnover, perhaps it’s same again.

Also the concerns about the club being half ***** this summer based on the past isn’t necessarily an indicator either as there’s a fair few new faces behind the scenes now, namely Hobbs.

Let’s see what happens over the next few weeks, there aren’t many I’m desperate to keep. I just hope we get things moving along quickly and start to see some incomes soon too, squad was never going to be ready by 1st July but let’s hope it’s near enough sorted by the first game of the season, unlike last summer.
Great reply, time will tell and hopefully my 60+ plus years of cynicism will be ill placed but still wouldn't bet against it.

Oldvic161

Groupie
Reaction score
I won’t go over old ground, but we all know we’re in a ffp pickle. Most have said there are very few they see as stalwarts of this club, Dawson, lemina and Gomes perhaps, the rest I’m not sure many would be upset if the went. Seems to me like bit part players ie Collins are being sacrificed for the greater good, JL will know a good few players up to the standards we need at decent prices hopefully. I doubt we will see the overpriced youngsters being gambled on, Scott included, with mature physical types targeted, I think we will be harder to beat.
Not sure at what point we go for players we can profit from, we need to be identifying along the likes of caciedo etc, even getting one decent season from them and bang sell them. we’ve had our overpaying period and if from now on can unearth cheaper potential, then surely that has to be our blueprint for the future. We will never be top 4 in this state sponsored league, I still think we can achieve Europe again but it won’t be next season unless things click up front.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great reply, time will tell and hopefully my 60+ plus years of cynicism will be ill placed but still wouldn't bet against it.
I at least used to be an optimist, maybe I'm just getting older and grumpier.
I don't think its cynicism if its based on what is happening. We have been selling low and buying high for the most part for the last 3 years. And we haven't got anyone new in recruitment at all, just the number two from the last couple of transfer windows, where for the most part we recruited completely non-essential players that just bulked up the squad with wingers and defensive midfielders.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's sell anyone that can bring in a fee and replace with an unknown quantity, what could possibly go wrong?

Nothing. We will be starting the season with me and Dawson as the first choice centre backs and I cant head a ball and cant tackle that well either.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sure plenty will disagree, but i think he would be an absolutely superb signing for us, or any club similar to ours.

Wages probably rule us out but if it was Collins out Maguire in, thats a serious upgrade.

Dont quite get this Collins move tbf. 100% something pretty big must be in place behind the scenes, as the move seems to make so little sense on so many levels.

Interesting weeks ahead.
I'm confused, and I don't mean this harshly, but has anyone watched Maguire for the past few seasons. An error prone, experienced centre back, who often makes mistakes despite being in a side that defends much less than the majority of the league. He's slow, he can't read the game, he has awful awareness, he can't pass a ball.

He's just a huge no for us.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Better would cost more. Dawson is no spring chicken, Max will continue to grow.
He ain’t going to get any quicker same as Semedo very average players that can be replaced for half the price

Goal input from both last season?? Too defensive we need players that want to contribute

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've just had two rebuilds. We need to lose some of our 8 wingers not our best players.
Well at least one of those didnt work and the other is up in the air
Going on the majority of last season we need a total reset, as very few of the squad came out with much credit, and JL sees that
Nothing against Collins or Kilman but if we get decent money there better out there
Players like RAN and Pod if they dont suit JL need to go too
Ofc they will need to be replaced with players JL trusts and wants, who also want to be here and are up for the challenge
Not easy with the money tight but certainly not impossible,just needs doing relatively fast,with only 6 weeks to next season

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well at least one of those didnt work and the other is up in the air
Going on the majority of last season we need a total reset, as very few of the squad came out with much credit, and JL sees that
Nothing against Collins or Kilman but if we get decent money there better out there
Players like RAN and Pod if they dont suit JL need to go too
Ofc they will need to be replaced with players JL trusts and wants, who also want to be here and are up for the challenge
Not easy with the money tight but certainly not impossible,just needs doing relatively fast,with only 6 weeks to next season
I think what you have described there is unachievable.
Collins can go because he's a fringe player.
Kilman Coady and Neves going in the same window...you may as well judge dig a whole and bury us.

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
Kilmans peaked. I'd take 35m +
I agree. The much maligned Lage was the first coach to play him regularly. Even Nuno didn't trust him with a regular start. He looks good with an experienced head alongside him but looked very out of sorts alongside Collins at the beginning of last season with no Coady to organise him. It was no coincidence that he looked more like himself when Dawson arrived. So I would cash in while his stock is high. Neither him or Collins are irreplaceable IMO and the money they raise could be used to invest in potentially 3-5 players JL wants.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really? I was so excited about Collins but he's disappointed me so much. I want to like him, but I just haven't seen anything suggesting he's going to be the player we read about.

I think we hold on to poor signings for too long (Cutrone springs to mind!), so I like the decisiveness on this one.
Imagine Kilman playing in the Premier League at 21? He played minimal minutes at 22. Or Coady?

Cutrone was **** from day 1 and never showed any flashes of good. Collins had many good games with a couple bad mistakes that we should have been able to coach out.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Corbeanu is another player who needs selling. Endless loans are no good to us & he's not going to be a PL player.
Dexter I'd far rather see in the Championship or League One. Much better for him
He needs to be given a run of games first. So many of these loans he's played in the wrong position or never really given a regular chance. He's much better than he's been able to show.

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
What sort of **** would we be in needing to replace Collins and kilman when we are currently at 17 foreigners in the squad ...would be a ludicrous descision squad wise needing 2 centre backs....
Maybe something in the Maguire rumours after all. Who knows. Maybe we are looking at another Dawson type signing or signings?

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think what you have described there is unachievable.
Collins can go because he's a fringe player.
Kilman Coady and Neves going in the same window...you may as well judge dig a whole and bury us.
Your right about kilman n Neves but Coady hasn't even been part of the squad for 12 months ..not even fringe...

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having met Collins a couple of times incl. at open training he gave off a very Billy Big Potatoes vibe, compared to eg. Toti who was super friendly & humble. Purely my own opinion and means naff all, but I’m not sorry or surprised he’s going.
He might just be allergic to kebabs. ;):D

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe something in the Maguire rumours after all. Who knows. Maybe we are looking at another Dawson type signing or signings?
Maguire would be solid signing if we can get him for say 20m or loan with obligation 25m don’t think anyone would pay anymore considering his age

Worries me the lack of pace for him and Dawson… together if we want an aggressive high line

Mavropanos is a no brainer he would be good signing, Baku also if possible

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing. We will be starting the season with me and Dawson as the first choice centre backs and I cant head a ball and cant tackle that well either.
I'd still have you in there over Jonny and Semedo

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
I at least used to be an optimist, maybe I'm just getting older and grumpier.
I don't think its cynicism if its based on what is happening. We have been selling low and buying high for the most part for the last 3 years. And we haven't got anyone new in recruitment at all, just the number two from the last couple of transfer windows, where for the most part we recruited completely non-essential players that just bulked up the squad with wingers and defensive midfielders.
Outside of Cutrone, who have we lost money on in the last three years to where you claim that we buy high and sell low?

Based on the evidence so far, Hobbs is playing a blinder…Coady for 7.5+1mil, Collins with a tidy profit even though he warmed the bench last year, and Neves for 47mil! And then bringing in Joao Gomes, Lemina, and Dawson in January was crucial. All signs behind the scenes that he’s got things lined up to where Julen stayed on—that’s some trust.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm confused, and I don't mean this harshly, but has anyone watched Maguire for the past few seasons. An error prone, experienced centre back, who often makes mistakes despite being in a side that defends much less than the majority of the league. He's slow, he can't read the game, he has awful awareness, he can't pass a ball.

He's just a huge no for us.
Absolutely. Overrated and ****. Far better keeping Kilman.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unsuccessful ones that maybe didn’t go far enough. You can count on one hand the number of players that have consistently performed for us the past couple of years, Neves was head an shoulders above and then a few others have been decent with purple patches.

I’d say any of our players could reasonably go at the right price, including some of our 8 wingers.

Back
Top Bottom