Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't want gyokeres, he's not a PL striker
I'm tending to agree with you Andy watching the play- off match Coventry V Boro and I've seen him before in a few games on tv..
He looks slow and ponderous comparing Gyokeres to Haaland it's like comparing a Mini to a Ferrari :D
He ain't got that explosive pace that you need for a top PL player / striker these days

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm tending to agree with you Andy watching the play- off match Coventry V Boro and I've seen him before in a few games on tv..
He looks slow and ponderous comparing Gyokeres to Haaland it's like comparing a Mini to a Ferrari :D
He ain't got that explosive pace that you need for a top PL player / striker these days
Similar player to Fabio Silva on that viewing today

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is reason Brighton let Gyrokees go when the only option they had up front was Maupay.....He probably would have made a decent addition in January as he was used to the physicality side .....if he is part of a major shake in the forward areas them I'm ok.....but if he is the only addition in the striker department then it will be a long old season...

We need to aim higher in my opinion...we need 2 for me....En Nesyri is exactly what we need, as is Lois Openda.........not sure on Gyokeres..

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think we’ve slowly but surely created a squad that would probably be great in La Liga and the Portuguese Super Liga but not the Premier League.
Although we sometimes look like we lack effort, I think it’s more a case that our general lack of pace and physicality means that in some games the players are chasing shadows.
I find it hard to be too critical of our forwards, as they are so starved of any decent service and frequently have to drop virtually into midfield to get the ball. If they were frequently missing sitters, it would be different.
JL’s got to find a blend of the right players that can get us higher up the pitch without leaving us over exposed at the back. A lot of our players have played under 4 different managers (including the temp manager) at Wolves and our sideways and backwards tendency has remained a constant.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we’ve slowly but surely created a squad that would probably be great in La Liga and the Portuguese Super Liga but not the Premier League.
Although we sometimes look like we lack effort, I think it’s more a case that our general lack of pace and physicality means that in some games the players are chasing shadows.
I find it hard to be too critical of our forwards, as they are so starved of any decent service and frequently have to drop virtually into midfield to get the ball. If they were frequently missing sitters, it would be different.
JL’s got to find a blend of the right players that can get us higher up the pitch without leaving us over exposed at the back. A lot of our players have played under 4 different managers (including the temp manager) at Wolves and our sideways and backwards tendency has remained a constant.
No, you watch some of the players (English ones included) and they do walk or slowly jog when they should be sprinting or running to get back or give an option.

I think they are technically good ball players, but movement and getting into space or in behind has been an issue for some time and that is another massive part of our problem.

We have signed the majority of a squad who just don’t have that drive and intensity in them to bust a gut and do what is needed to be in the chance to potentially make a difference or get on the end of something.

The attitudes of some of the players isn’t the right one to be succesful on the pitch in a competitive environment like the premier league, it is why the training videos look so much better than what they show on a matchday when they take to the field.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We need to spend a shed load of cash to get anywhere near the top eight. There’s many players past their sell by , many players not good enough , some players we need to keep
I don’t think FOSUN are going to furnish JL with enough cash for him to sort this **** out and even if they did , won’t FFP be an issue
It’s been a mess since we sold Jota and Doherty and then downgraded the team with their “ replacements “. Couple this with Rauls awful injury and we have drifted into a position that is not totally irreversible but it’s going to cost a lot more now than if proper investment had been forthcoming back then
You reap what you sow
We have already tried upgrading by spending loads of cash and look what we’ve got. Semedo, Guedes, Nunes, Cunha, etc. Not one of them has shone. Not saying they are bad players but for the money, disappointing would be an understatement.

It’s possible to build a good side without spending a lot of money but we don’t seem to have that sort of scouting system. I hate to say it but can we shop in a different market please. The Portuguese connection has run its course. Not saying we shouldn’t have any in the squad but the prem is a league that demands attributes, most of them don’t have in abundance.

I think part of the reason things went pear shaped, is because it became too much home from home. Too many players got a bit comfy with putting in halfhearted displays and picking up their wages.

Time for a reshuffle and rebalancing of the squad please.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me, Lemina is better in that deep role, he has an engine and seems to be able to cover that deep area in front of Kilman and Dawson, on his own.
Agree. Lemina drops deep and then carries it forward with pace. Neves does it to usually then just play a safe ball that the defender could easily make, so it just sets us back 20/30/40 yards.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Complete rebuild. JL has seen enough of this squad.

I reckon Jonny, Raul, Neves, Nunes, Semedo, Sarabia, Adama and RAN are gone, Kilman too if Newcastle offer silly money. Possibly Neto as well.

Don't think any of Fabio, Sanderson, Cundle, Giles, Corbeanu or Lonwijk will pass muster so they will be sold or loaned again.

4 or 5 players from Spain/Portugal to come in along with 1 or 2 homegrown.

Last edited:

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because they have players who actually try things.

We pass for the sake of it, they pass with a purpose. This is why I defended Podence yesterday. Yes, he gives it away, but he does try things and can make things happen.

There's zero pace in our side. There's no intensity, so we don't get numbers in the box. We just pass, pass, pass, and no matter where we are, we end up backwards.

It nearly summer it up when Antony had the great chance early on after Kilman slipped. We had a throw in their half and THEY ended up having a great chance from it, all because of our negativity.

We need energy, pace and dynamism this summer.
I think we have energy, pace and dynamism in Gomes and maybe Bouba but you are right we need more players like this.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves is no problem at all... totally sums up the delusion.....clearly our best player. ....else he wouldn't be looking to move for champions league football.....Neves will leave a massive whole in the team .....our talisman, our captain, nearly our leading goalscorer....what more can he do......don't worry I will laugh at anybody who suggests otherwise ...
Don’t you think Neves wants the move, not because he doesn’t love being at Wolves, just time for him to find out what he is capable of. He admitted that last season he almost went, I have no doubt he is doing his best for us, however in his heart he want to be at a bigger club, I don’t think any of us begrudge him the opportunity.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t you think Neves wants the move, not because he doesn’t love being at Wolves, just time for him to find out what he is capable of. He admitted that last season he almost went, I have no doubt he is doing his best for us, however in his heart he want to be at a bigger club, I don’t think any of us begrudge him the opportunity.
Yes off course...I dont begrudge him at all ..just took offense to the 'time to go'.... straight after the game...post from yesterday that was basically implying he was holding us back in midfield ...

He is by far our best player still.....

Reactions: Ned

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes off course...I dont begrudge him at all ..just took offense to the 'time to go'.... straight after the game...post from yesterday that was basically implying he was holding us back in midfield ...

No doubt he has been a great player, but the transition from a back 3 to a 4 has made quite a few players look off their game. Hopefully we all get what we want Neves gets the opportunity to play CL and we get a more balanced squad, with a more attacking mindset.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Complete rebuild. JL has seen enough of this squad.

I reckon Jonny, Raul, Neves, Nunes, Semedo, Sarabia, Adama and RAN are gone, Kilman too if Newcastle offer silly money. Possibly Neto as well.

Don't think any of Fabio, Sanderson, Cundle, Giles, Corbeanu or Lonwijk will pass muster so they will be sold or loaned again.

4 or 5 players from Spain/Portugal to come in along with 1 or 2 homegrown.
My worry here is, we are going to have to sell most of them at a lower value than we’d have hoped for a year ago.

Is anyone going to pay us what we paid for Nunes? Not saying he won’t be worth it one day but in what we have seen so far, other clubs will offer well below our valuation, I think.

What about Neto? We talked about 50 million before his injury but I would be surprised if anyone would gamble more than 25 million on him ever regaining that form.

Raul, Adama and Jonny fetch next to nothing. I really hope JL has a definite plan already because I do worry about trying to bring in so many new, quality players, with the budget we will have.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That is not entirely correct is it? Whilst I did say it was time for him to maybe move on now, I did say it would also be in his best interests to go to a top club and that he has been a great servant to the club.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This last Man United match show exactly what our position is.

Possession WWFC 52% - Man Utd 48%
Shots on target WWFC 0 - Man Utd 9
How does that happen ?
This was a rhetorical question . It shows graphically what has to change next season.
We have all watched this type of blunt play since 2019 ! It almost got us relegated.

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This last Man United match show exactly what our position is.

Possession WWFC 52% - Man Utd 48%
Shots on target WWFC 0 - Man Utd 9
How does that happen ?
All forwards ba Cunha and Costa should be sold (Neto included)

Our forwards have been far too inconsistent since jota left and Raul lost his mojo. Podence Neto Hwang jiminez Sarabia(maybe) all need to go.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All forwards ba Cunha and Costa should be sold (Neto included)

Our forwards have been far too inconsistent since jota left and Raul lost his mojo. Podence Neto Hwang jiminez Sarabia(maybe) all need to go.
Agree re Cunha, but Costa should go. May give Neto more time as well

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, you watch some of the players (English ones included) and they do walk or slowly jog when they should be sprinting or running to get back or give an option.

I think they are technically good ball players, but movement and getting into space or in behind has been an issue for some time and that is another massive part of our problem.

We have signed the majority of a squad who just don’t have that drive and intensity in them to bust a gut and do what is needed to be in the chance to potentially make a difference or get on the end of something.

The attitudes of some of the players isn’t the right one to be succesful on the pitch in a competitive environment like the premier league, it is why the training videos look so much better than what they show on a matchday when they take to the field.
We need 11 Joao Gomes’.

Back
Top Bottom