Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

If Lage was to go who replaces him?

L78

Reaction score

Carlos Carvalhal just left his job wouldn't suprise me if shi got him cheap option​

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Off main topic a bit.

Liam Keen posted on Twitter that Tony Roberts is staying to help Steve Davis and James Collins. The only one of Bruno’s backroom staff to currently keep his job.

Good goalkeeping coach imo, just hope he’s good at motivation, attacking football, tactics, substitutions and just about everything else that Bruno struggled with.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tony Pullis, Harry Rednap, Fabio Capello and a others have returned back to clubs they have managed before to be successful.
I would love Nuno to come back.

Yeah we know. It’s not happening.

Daglish, Zidane, Keegan, Mourinho, McGarry, Turner… for every “success” there are 10x failures of returning managers. It rarely works.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Off main topic a bit.

Liam Keen posted on Twitter that Tony Roberts is staying to help Steve Davis and James Collins. The only one of Bruno’s backroom staff to currently keep his job.

Good goalkeeping coach imo, just hope he’s good at motivation, attacking football, tactics, substitutions and just about everything else that Bruno struggled with.
Isn’t he our set piece coach? I’d guess he’ll be moved on when the new manager brings his own man in.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I saw someone mention Zidane earlier because Fosun had him lined up for Bordeaux.

Absolute non-starter for me, not least because 'He's Zizou Zidane's man, he's better than Zidane' doesn't make any sense at all
Yeah bit of a mouthful for the barmy army chant too.

For that reason, I’m out.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think the is actually a perfect candidate.

Lopetegui, slow possession based football.

Bo, 3412 only managed smaller teams and massive culture clash.

Pedro Martins, never managed at a top level.

Amorim, 343, €30m buy out and probably won't join anyway.

AVB- Seems to have fallen out of love with football. Original Lage?

BrierleyHillWolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't think the is actually a perfect candidate.

Lopetegui, slow possession based football.

Bo, 3412 only managed smaller teams and massive culture clash.

Amorim, 343, €30m buy out and probably won't join anyway.

AVB- Seems to have fallen out of love with football. Original Lage?
Lopetugui is first choice for me , if you think it's going to be slow possession based football then you will be in for a shock

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to Transfermkt he's been manager for 58 games in the Champions and Europa Leagues alone, excluding qualifying rounds.

The PL has examples of Managers/HCs who, before they entered it, never managed at a high level.

Bigcheese

Reaction score
I think we have to accept that football now is a business, and fosun will run us as such.
If say the club can only afford Martin's, then that is what we're going to have to accept. On the other hand, if we can afford say Pochettino or Tuchel or Amorin, then we should be approaching them to find out what they want to manage our great club.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not heard of Bo Svensson.

Checked him out and found he is the love child of Bo Derek and Sven Goren Erikson.

Sorry - you won’t get that image out of your head.
Sounds more like someone you'd see in a scandanavian stick flick!!

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetugui is first choice for me , if you think it's going to be slow possession based football then you will be in for a shock

Only real Madrid and Barcelona average more possession but they're normally in the bottom half for shots and expected goals.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Having read scouting reports on Svensson's style of play I'm quite excited, especially as he was Brighton's favoured candidate at one point. I'd far rather go for a manager who's on the up than one (JL) who may well be in decline. And he's averaged more points at Mainz than both Klopp and Tuchel.
Have absolutely no wish to appoint another manager whose team has endless possession and no shots. Give me some of that high-pressing, high-intensity. I want Wolves to be exciting to watch again.

Wolf616

Groupie
Reaction score
Don't get this "Nuno back" stuff, reeks of rose tinted nostalgia.

Yes, he did a great job for us but then look how badly he did at Spurs. Other teams worked out his tactics and our squad has changed, bringing him back would be folly (if it were even remotely likely, which I don't think it is).

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having read scouting reports on Svensson's style of play I'm quite excited, especially as he was Brighton's favoured candidate at one point. I'd far rather go for a manager who's on the up than one (JL) who may well be in decline. And he's averaged more points at Mainz than both Klopp and Tuchel.
Have absolutely no wish to appoint another manager whose team has endless possession and no shots. Give me some of that high-pressing, high-intensity. I want Wolves to be exciting to watch again.

Very good points.
What I will also add to my earlier points about Svensson is, that he's quite pragmatic when it comes to formation. He chose 352 at Mainz because it suits the players, but he played 4231 or 433 at Liefering and he doesn have a favoured formation. He will however most probably chose a formation that fits Wolves (if he comes), then stick with it. He's a bit like Nuno in that regard. His focus is very much on every player knowing their roles, and he thinks that changing formation from week to week disturbs that.
His style of play is much the same no matter what formation he chooses. Very good defensively, fast direct in attack, very relentless in their "gegenpressing".
Another thing that really sticks out about him is his manmanagement. He's a disciplinarian, but with a big focus on players taking responsibiliy for the group.
Oh and another aspect. He's just a really likeable guy. There's a ton of people here, that speaks well of him. Its rare to strike that balance between being very clear in your demands, and at the same time being likeable. But he's good at that. Players enjoy playing for him.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very good points.
What I will also add to my earlier points about Svensson is, that he's quite pragmatic when it comes to formation. He chose 352 at Mainz because it suits the players, but he played 4231 or 433 at Liefering and he doesn have a favoured formation. He will however most probably chose a formation that fits Wolves (if he comes), then stick with it. He's a bit like Nuno in that regard. His focus is very much on every player knowing their roles, and he thinks that changing formation from week to week disturbs that.
His style of play is much the same no matter what formation he chooses. Very good defensively, fast direct in attack, very relentless in their "gegenpressing".
Another thing that really sticks out about him is his manmanagement. He's a disciplinarian, but with a big focus on players taking responsibiliy for the group.
Oh and another aspect. He's just a really likeable guy. There's a ton of people here, that speaks well of him. Its rare to strike that balance between being very clear in your demands, and at the same time being likeable. But he's good at that. Players enjoy playing for him.
The description sounds similar to Amorim in how he treats players. Very dissimilar to Lage. He would be a risk, Mainz aren’t pulling up trees this year but are one of the smaller teams.

If we want Martins we’ll have to be quick as I wonder whether he might be going to Forest as he was at Olympiacos for a while (longer than the average manager). He was also very used to managing a massive squad as he inherited 40+ players at Olympiacos and seems to have maintained that size.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
Don't get this "Nuno back" stuff, reeks of rose tinted nostalgia.

Yes, he did a great job for us but then look how badly he did at Spurs. Other teams worked out his tactics and our squad has changed, bringing him back would be folly (if it were even remotely likely, which I don't think it is).
To be fair to Nuno I think he could have done well at Spurs, but it was a poison chalice for anyone to take on and despite his good start the fans turned on him in seconds because they were never going to be happy, and some folks think that giving Lage almost 50 games was harsh! Not to mention that Kane was being a complete &*%$ with his contract shenanigans (and he admitted his conduct was not good but not until after Nuno got axed) unsettling the squad even more.

But you're right, going back to Nuno wouldn't be the right move, he built a great platform for the club to progress from and hopefully the club management will learn from the 'Lage experiment' and now make an appointment that can build on what Nuno started and take the club to the next level.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
Very good points.
Ok I'm sold :D

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While I suggested the wife would be on suicide watch if we went anywhere near Dyche. I genuinely believe Dyche would be ten times better than Cooper who has demonstrated a chasm between his present abilities and those of a premier league manager.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like Cooper and he's done a great job at Forest to get them up. I think Forest should stick with him. It's a massive job for anyone to get over 20 strangers to become a team in the Premier League so it would be incredibly harsh to sack him.

Having said that I'm confident Wolves have greater ambitions than Cooper. Being 'under consideration' sounds like he's just a name towards the bottom of a list in case Wolves become desperate.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Steve Cooper? No no no.

Dyche I would be meh to, on some respects, I wouldn't mind him, he is at least proven in the PL and would demand respect.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Bo Svensson story is so out of the blue there must be some truth in it.
I know him quite well as his progress has been covered quite closely here and I must say it could be a very good appointment.
What he's done at Mainz is nothing short of remarkable and there's no doubt could well follow in the footsteps of other ex Mainz coaches Klopp and Tuchel
He's like Lopetequi in that he likes a solid defensive but there approach with the ball is very different. Svensson wants quick direct attacks, with Lopetequi preferring a slower build up.
I know he's not the biggest name, but he has the full package. Tactics, manmanagement, etc.
Gerrimin!

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't understand why Cooper is considered a joke and this Bo whatever his face is isn't.
Goes to show that there aren't many ways for british managers to get jobs that are a step up on what they already have. If it's a choice between someone who seems like a nice guy at Mainz, or a guy that finally got Forest promoted I'll give it to the latter every time.

lycophilos

Reaction score
Nah...2 / 3 decent teams in Spanish league, ( unlike here ) , and they are 17 th ??
Not with a barge pole
There are far more than just 2/3 "decent" teams in the Spanish league. Yes, only 3 teams at present seem to have a realistic chance of winning the league - but that's little different from the EPL at present. It doesn't mean that the rest of the Spanish top division is rubbish.

Back
Top Bottom