Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lage OUT

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady is water under the bridge. We should move on. Both sides have had good value out of his time with us. Good luck to him at Everton. I hope he retains his place in their team and they take up the option at the end of the season. We can't keep wallowing in nostalgia for ex players and ex managers.

I dont see why we should under value him. As i said, we have already done him and Everton a favour with this deal. If they want him make them pay a fair value for an England squad player, who is in good form in his prime years.

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
@Mutchy @bod101 can the various Lage threads be merged please?

Bizarre forum this at times. Thread titles never updated. You'd think Lage is still here.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Coady thing is pretty simple.

Who do you think is a better centre-back in a four? In my opinion, Collins is quite considerably better and long-term it’s not even up for debate.

If people think Coady, fair enough. However I would strongly disagree.

All the rest is on Coady.

Lage was vocal in his desire to have two players for every position and he obviously does not rate Toti or Mosquera. So why on earth would he not want Coady to stay?

He has praised Coady plenty in terms of his character. Now he wants him to go, knowing it will leave us short? I doubt it.

It really is as simple as Coady lost his place and he didn’t like it but the rest is on him.

In this instance, Lage’s ‘crime’ was to pick Collins over Coady. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Our defenders haven't been an issue this season. Our attacking impotence is.

Not once this season have I found myself thinking "I wish we had Coady back at the halfway line screaming for the ball" while we're fannying around near the opposition box.
I don't get it either. We had the best defence in the league before Collins got sent off against City. Maybe there's an argument in terms of leadership but we've had some awful defeats with Coady in the side. We haven't missed him at the back at all IMO.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The talk was around £9m-12m I believe. Remember being surprised at how low it was but I guess a player is only worth what somebody is willing to pay.

The feeling at the time was that we were being kind to Coady in recognition of his service to us by giving him the best chance of going to Qatar.
Which we undoubtedly were.

We bent over backwards really to get this done for him. Agreed to a loan. Agreed to sell to a rival. Agreed to a low fee. All for him.

It was a poor deal for us whichever way you look at it.

As mentioned above, from a football perspective there’s no way we wouldn’t want to keep him as backup. No way at all.

That adds to the disappointment with all the little digs that’ve followed (not all by him it should be said).

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't say I have noticed him being missed, until Collins suspension and that could have been covered by trusting in Toti as the backup.
Totally agree. To be honest I thought we would play a 3 of Coady, Collins and Kilman until World Cup and then move to a four once Collins bedded in. Once the decision was made to go to a 4 and on the back of pre-season then Coady was third on the list. I can see why he wanted to go and I thought the club handled it well.

I also believe that Bruno lost the dressing room, that was apparent from the Hoever game onwards. On reflection I can also understand the comments on the training sessions as being repetitive. Think about the videos they release, how different are they from week to the next, they were doing the same things day in day out - very much the youth team approach to honing skills and supports mine and others comments about being over coached or bored to death.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hoever can't hack it in defense for one of the best teams in the Netherlands, he'd be getting ragdolled week in week out by pretty much all of the mutant premier League strikers if he was to start in central defence here.

Absolute shocking player, Liverpool have had our pants down.
Agree. He's gash mate.

molinew

Reaction score
The Coady posts don't tell the story his family think they do.

However well he's done at Everton, he's not as good a CB as either Collins or Kilman, certainly not in a team aspiring to play a high line and more offensive football.

From the outside looking in, it looks like he was disgruntled at having to fight for his place, which doesn't necessarily paint him in the best light. I'm sure Lage would have been happy to keep him around if he felt like he would behave appropriately, as evidenced by his reluctance to play Toti or Yerson in Collins' absence.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
all the talk of coady, he didnt get sounded out for the 4-3-3 and the 4-2-3-1 in preseason, he was disgruntled it was obvious in pre season, he loves the club but had to go elsewhere while lage was in charge.

Wrong or right decision.

Either way, hes now happy at everton and they have a clause to buy him, hes going and staying at everton.

Best thing to do is rumour that we want him back, get Everton to pay a larger fee in January to keep him.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How the hell is Coady coming out of this as anything but correct and right??

Abomination of a manager, up there with Solbakken the fraud and Saunders the Clown.

Coady can't play in a back 4 - REALLY. This is a player who has successfully re-trained positions to great effect. He is an England international defender. Seems to be doing just fine in the best defence in the league currently. Coady earned the right to be dropped by playing poorly on the field this season, not unceremoniously dropped for Collins, who has undoubted great potential, but is still young, and a talented but inexperienced Kilman. Our defence IMO has only conceded so few because of how negative we are, not because of the defenders in play.

Coady's family posting stuff. So ****ing what. Scousers aren't stoically silent like Yam Yams can be, and I don't blame him for being unhappy. I don't get how some posters are effectively still "supporting" the manager here, who has just been sacked for being ****, rather than supporting the best captain we have had in decades.

Coady wanted to go - I don't blame him. Absolute break down in trust. Again, Lage has now been sacked as he's lost the dressing room. Selling Coady was a huge huge error. Why would he want to stay where is not wanted? Why show loyalty to a club that showed him little? A chance to live at home all the time, and see his kids? Can't blame a man for that.

Neves isn't half the captain Coady is yet, and being suspended so early is a huge blow.

For me this situation the epitome of Lage's reign. Poorly thought out, and poorly executed. I expect a ton of **** for this post, so do your worst.

I think with the revelations coming out now of Bruno losing the dressing room and his lack of man management skills ( stuff that isnt really a surprise and has been alluded to since last season) it casts even a poorer light on Jeff Shi and his handling of the situation.

One presumes that Coady being the captain would have approached Shi ( or been approached by Shi) to give the players side of the story.
It appears Shi and the board took Bruno's side and hence no longer do we have Coady and a few other of the older experienced heads.
That decision to back Lage has backfired badly!

In regards to Neves and the captaincy to be suspended for 5 yellows after only 8 games shows an appalling lack of discipline and again reflects badly on the lack of professionalism and accountability of the Bruno reign. ( management/ coaching staff , CEO & Board and players)

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Explains this from Coady's sister....

View attachment 30533
Before we hang Conor out to dry for someone else's misjudged tweet, can we establish who this is from?

She's definitely not his wife and as far as I know he doesn't have a sister? Could be sister-in-law? I have no idea, nor do I really think it says anything about him, except that he clearly had more antipathy to Lage than was obvious at the time he was loaned out.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can’t see how anyone is giving Coady **** here. He’s not done or said anything here. Some relative is glad to see the back of Bruno. WE’RE ALL DESPERATE TO SEE THE BACK OF BRUNO.

I’d have our lawyers looking for a get out clause and drag Coady back here right now.

No way is Coady leaving Everton.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Who do you think is a better centre-back in a four? In my opinion, Collins is quite considerably better and long-term it’s not even up for debate.

Lage was vocal in his desire to have two players for every position and he obviously does not rate Toti or Mosquera. So why on earth would he not want Coady to stay?

He has praised Coady plenty in terms of his character. Now he wants him to go, knowing it will leave us short? I doubt it.

It really is as simple as Coady lost his place and he didn’t like it but the rest is on him.

In this instance, Lage’s ‘crime’ was to pick Collins over Coady. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Spot on.

To add to this, in any other season than this basketcase one, Coady would probably have stayed here as club captain, not made a fuss, got on with being a model professional, bided his time, and at this moment in time he would be playing alongside Kilman in a back 4 due to Collins' absence through suspension.

But he had to be playing well every week to be on that plane to the ridiculously timed Qatar World Cup.

So the moment Everton expressed an interest, he forced a move.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Indeed. So I believe, he was told during that trip away (was it Portugal?) that we were moving to a two and that would mean he likely doesn't start for us. He then looked for a move, and we let him go.

Only issue is us letting him go rather than making him stay and be our first backup. Naïve from a typically ruthless business, doing the 'nice' thing for a nice human being, rather than thinking with their business heads.

Great captain for us but he's out of here now. We'll be better in the long term but he should still be here filling in while we're short.

Last edited:

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't get it either. We had the best defence in the league before Collins got sent off against City. Maybe there's an argument in terms of leadership but we've had some awful defeats with Coady in the side. We haven't missed him at the back at all IMO.
We've scored 3 all season.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
Its a shame that there's a cloud over Coady's departure. He should have gone with everyones best wishes and a great big send off at Molineux for 8 years of great memories, most of them good.

With a bit more insight there now seems to be a little more context in Saiss's message to Coady too, which always seemed a little oddly worded at the time.

Regardless, the chances of Coady returning 'to the fold' next season are most likely nil so the focus now needs to be on picking the squad up from the doldrums and finding a couple of leaders who can replace Coady (the man not just the player) on the pitch.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its a shame that there's a cloud over Coady's departure. He should have gone with everyones best wishes and a great big send off at Molineux for 8 years of great memories, most of them good.

With a bit more insight there now seems to be a little more context in Saiss's message to Coady too, which always seemed a little oddly worded at the time.

Regardless, the chances of Coady returning 'to the fold' next season are most likely nil so the focus now needs to be on picking the squad up from the doldrums and finding a couple of leaders who can replace Coady (the man not just the player) on the pitch.
what was Saiss’s message?

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It seems to me one of our attributes under Nuno was the the strength of our dressing room, big characters like Coady, Saiss, Boly etc always seemed to get us back on track after poor performances. All seemed to love the club, all now gone along with rumours of bust ups with Raul, Jonny. We look confused on the field. I understand why people say its up to the players to give 100% whatever is going on behind closed doors but when it's so many disgruntled players you've got to look at the coach. Glad he's gone, hopefully we'll get someone in at least competent.

Hugh Jarse

Reaction score
Our defenders haven't been an issue this season. Our attacking impotence is.

Not once this season have I found myself thinking "I wish we had Coady back at the halfway line screaming for the ball" while we're fannying around near the opposition box.
Nor have we had to stress that he'd get bulled by the likes of Mitrovic or Antonio.

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm not Coady's biggest fan, but let's be honest here, we forced him out the club. We played him with the 23s in pre season and made it clear he had no future here. And didn't even get a ****ing fee for him!

Since then we have played our best midfielder at CH.

There was a sensible middle ground where he stays and fights for his place, starts in a back 5 against the top 6. City game being an example of the back 4 getting ripped to shreds.

The whole thing just smacks of incompetence on Bruno's part.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No player or manager is bigger than the club!

Fans wanted a change of formation and Coady wasn’t first choice. Quite frankly no one should think they are first choice and guaranteed a start.

Whether he choose not to fight for his place or was moved on is irrelevant now. He’s gone and we need a fresh approach and voices. It’s gone too stale.

This is the exact argument we have had before!

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
I know we disagree on Coady's merits, but I'm not sure how keeping him would have increased our goal tally?
Behind Raul & Hwang he was our next highest goal scorer last season................

Not that I'm advocating that as a reason he shouldn't have been let go, but shows the issues we have across the team!

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I'm not Coady's biggest fan, but let's be honest here, we forced him out the club. We played him with the 23s in pre season and made it clear he had no future here. And didn't even get a ****ing fee for him!

There was a sensible middle ground where he stays and fights for his place, starts in a back 5 against the top 6. City game being an example of the back 4 getting ripped to shreds.

Yes, go back to last season where the back 5 kept City down to 5 goals. They were properly ripped to shreds!

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score

Completely agree with the third paragraph and that was exactly the way I would have gone. Collins and Kilman had looked excellent in pre-season and deserved to start in a four. But Conor should have been here to fight for his place and give us the option to start with a 5 against the better sides.

I think we bent over backwards as a club to accommodate his move though to give him the best chance of making the World Cup squad.

With the benefit of hindsight, I actually think the loan of Fabio has had more of an impact on our season so far than that of Coady…

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Yes he did. So that means he would have made a difference to the fact that we can't score?
He scored for us last season and he's doing it again for Everton. He offers more of a goal threat than anyone in our team bar Podence and Costa at the moment.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Completely agree with the third paragraph and that was exactly the way I would have gone. Collins and Kilman had looked excellent in pre-season and deserved to start in a four. But Conor should have been here to fight for his place and give us the option to start with a 5 against the better sides.

I think we bent over backwards as a club to accommodate his move though to give him the best chance of making the World Cup squad.

With the benefit of hindsight, I actually think the loan of Fabio has had more of an impact on our season so far than that of Coady…
I think there was also mutual distrust between Coady and Lage. I suspect Coady found it difficult to work for him, and Lage didn't want him around. At the time I supported Lage in refreshing this squad, because it needed it, and I'm perfectly happy with Kilman and Collins as first choice in a back four. But perhaps the deeper issues between Coady and Lage were the real reasons why he didn't stay here to give us more options.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted on another thread, but seems that The Athletic have a minor exclusive on some of the things that went wrong.

Would anyone mind sharing the bullet points of what the article mentions? "Players disengaged with training" article...

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He scored for us last season and he's doing it again for Everton. He offers more of a goal threat than anyone in our team bar Podence and Costa at the moment.
Oh come on, are we seriously suggesting that we should have kept him for his goal threat? Before last season he'd never scored more than one goal in any season. Argue that we shouldn't have let him go, by all means, but please don't try and pretend he'd have solved our striking problems!

Back
Top Bottom