Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lage OUT

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
all the talk of coady, he didnt get sounded out for the 4-3-3 and the 4-2-3-1 in preseason, he was disgruntled it was obvious in pre season, he loves the club but had to go elsewhere while lage was in charge.

Wrong or right decision.

Either way, hes now happy at everton and they have a clause to buy him, hes going and staying at everton.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You could see the problems at the end of last season. After arsenal away it started to unravel and by the time we played city we were only getting 80% at best out of the players

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Don't forget this is a massive chance for The Athletic to bag themselves some Wolves fans looking for answers. They would be daft not to be offering some kind of post mortem/expose. Just hope it is based on fact
Pretty similar to the article written after nuno left
Cold and distant giving players the silent treatment etc players were confused in training

There’s obviously some truth in it but it’s about getting subscriptions

I don’t trust the albion fan to write anything positive
B2FDB64E-1209-4302-8507-015340A87533.jpeg

Last edited:

NorthWolf

Reaction score
Ego, Lage thinks his way of playing is perfect, thus not changing the system, not making subs, not making tactical changes, from that he regards anyone who can't play his way or understand his system or wants to change it as inferior. Unfortunately for him his system doesn't work, and his ego won't let him acknowledge that so he deflects and criticises those undertaking it, the players, but the players can see it is his system which isn't working for them, this is when it falls apart. The players know it's not going to work and give up on the ideas of the coach, and begin to lose the sharpness that gives them the edge as they don't put all of themselves into practise and game day application.

Generals, Presidents, business people have all gone down a similar path and it ultimately ends one way, failure.

The best people have ego, but they all have one other factor, a trusted advisor who can tell them they are wrong, this is an ego escape valve, lets them change and justify it to their ego. Clough had Taylor for example. Lage has no one, this is why having your brother and a goalkeeping coach, thankful for a job higher than he rates, around you and will agree with you no matter what doesn't help one bit. In fact it inflates the ego more, making you less likely to change. You need someone there to challenge you when you need to be told no, and more importantly someone who you respect enough to allow you to change.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can’t see how anyone is giving Coady **** here. He’s not done or said anything here. Some relative is glad to see the back of Bruno. WE’RE ALL DESPERATE TO SEE THE BACK OF BRUNO.

I’d have our lawyers looking for a get out clause and drag Coady back here right now.
Can he be recalled from his loan?

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can he be recalled from his loan?

Why would you want to? He's constantly out of position for Everton and being bailed out by their midfield three.

He gets a pass from their fans because he's playing with passion for his boyhood club and celebrated like a madman Vs their local rivals.

In a similar way to how a load of our fans thought Danny Batth was good enough to play for England because he put in a few strong tackles in league one.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Anyone else seen some of the stuff in the athletic this morning? Seen some snippets on twitter. Apparently he had lost the dressing room at the end of last season after fall outs with multiple players. Looks like those like me who were derided last season for believing this was the case may well have been right. Staggered he wasnt fired in the summer. Shi needs to get this right now as he should have acted in the summer.
There's one quote from someone who it says doesn't want to be named saying that.

To be honest I thought it was some senior pros who knew they weren't in his plans and tried to undermine him. In that situation they go or he goes, maybe Shi made the wrong choice there!

More generally a suggestion that he liked talking the team tp death while not spending time with individuals and building relationships.

The picture of Cloughie might be relevant, Lage spent too much time coaching and had no impact when it came to the weekend, just the opposite.

Jayjaywolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
How the hell is Coady coming out of this as anything but correct and right??

Abomination of a manager, up there with Solbakken the fraud and Saunders the Clown.

Coady can't play in a back 4 - REALLY. This is a player who has successfully re-trained positions to great effect. He is an England international defender. Seems to be doing just fine in the best defence in the league currently. Coady earned the right to be dropped by playing poorly on the field this season, not unceremoniously dropped for Collins, who has undoubted great potential, but is still young, and a talented but inexperienced Kilman. Our defence IMO has only conceded so few because of how negative we are, not because of the defenders in play.

Coady's family posting stuff. So ****ing what. Scousers aren't stoically silent like Yam Yams can be, and I don't blame him for being unhappy. I don't get how some posters are effectively still "supporting" the manager here, who has just been sacked for being ****, rather than supporting the best captain we have had in decades.

Coady wanted to go - I don't blame him. Absolute break down in trust. Again, Lage has now been sacked as he's lost the dressing room. Selling Coady was a huge huge error. Why would he want to stay where is not wanted? Why show loyalty to a club that showed him little? A chance to live at home all the time, and see his kids? Can't blame a man for that.

Neves isn't half the captain Coady is yet, and being suspended so early is a huge blow.

For me this situation the epitome of Lage's reign. Poorly thought out, and poorly executed. I expect a ton of **** for this post, so do your worst.
No **** from me, I feel this is a fair comment.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Abomination of a manager, up there with Solbakken the fraud and Saunders the Clown.

Coady can't play in a back 4 - REALLY. This is a player who has successfully re-trained positions to great effect. He is an England international defender. Seems to be doing just fine in the best defence in the league currently. Coady earned the right to be dropped by playing poorly on the field this season, not unceremoniously dropped for Collins, who has undoubted great potential, but is still young, and a talented but inexperienced Kilman. Our defence IMO has only conceded so few because of how negative we are, not because of the defenders in play.

Coady's family posting stuff. So ****ing what. Scousers aren't stoically silent like Yam Yams can be, and I don't blame him for being unhappy. I don't get how some posters are effectively still "supporting" the manager here, who has just been sacked for being ****, rather than supporting the best captain we have had in decades.

Coady wanted to go - I don't blame him. Absolute break down in trust. Again, Lage has now been sacked as he's lost the dressing room. Selling Coady was a huge huge error. Why would he want to stay where is not wanted? Why show loyalty to a club that showed him little? A chance to live at home all the time, and see his kids? Can't blame a man for that.

Neves isn't half the captain Coady is yet, and being suspended so early is a huge blow.

For me this situation the epitome of Lage's reign. Poorly thought out, and poorly executed. I expect a ton of **** for this post, so do your worst.
Dendoncker fits right here with Coady for me. Whether you like him or not, Dendoncker was always willing to play whatever helped the team without question. Through Nuno and Lage. Those are the types of team players that are worth holding onto. Coady and Dendoncker both should still be here, IMO.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Only thing I'd disagree with is Neves not being half the captain Coady was. What he said on Saturday after the game needed saying and he basically called everyone out, no hiding behind clichés of us working hard to get better or being behind the manager etc, he just told it as it was. You can come up with theories if you try and join the dots (2+2= whateveryoureckonitis!), but he laid a lot bare on Saturday and to me that's someone willing to put his head above the parapet and speak out because he cares

Leadership

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Why would you want to? He's constantly out of position for Everton and being bailed out by their midfield three.

He gets a pass from their fans because he's playing with passion for his boyhood club and celebrated like a madman Vs their local rivals.

In a similar way to how a load of our fans thought Danny Batth was good enough to play for England because he put in a few strong tackles in league one.
Strange. I thought moving him on was correct, although it surely doesn't look like it now.
However he seems to be doing very well at Everton and maybe has had to go even more OTT about how glad he is to be there as Liverpool was his boyhood club.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only thing I'd disagree with is Neves not being half the captain Coady was. What he said on Saturday after the game needed saying and he basically called everyone out, no hiding behind clichés of us working hard to get better or being behind the manager etc, he just told it as it was. You can come up with theories if you try and join the dots (2+2= whateveryoureckonitis!), but he laid a lot bare on Saturday and to me that's someone willing to put his head above the parapet and speak out because he cares

Leadership
he’s too prone to a booking. needs to be on the pitch more!! 39 bookings in 160 games..

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Conor is/was ur captain and our leader. Best skipper since Mike Bailey and we’ve had a few since then. He has limitations I know, but his leadership skills cannot be questioned and that is vitally important both on and off the pitch.

Captain of Everton while Pickford has been injured and probably on the plane for the World Cup.

I would put him straight back in our defence tomorrow. A back 3 of Kilman, Coady and Collins would be ok by me. Just to say I will never understand why we dispensed with Conor, Saiss, Boly, Marcal and the versatile Donk who can play in central defence as well. Baffling!

All about opinions I know and that’s mine.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pretty similar to the article written after nuno left
Cold and distant giving players the silent treatment etc players were confused in training

There’s obviously some truth in it but it’s about getting subscriptions

I don’t trust the albion fan to write anything positive
View attachment 30532
Those players, if they do exist, who have been "confused" by two very different managers, need to look at themselves.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
Interesting some of the things that are already quickly coming to light.

I think it was obvious to many with players body language on the pitch that things weren't right, just a couple of weeks ago Mouthino had a right rant at Lage at the touchline in response to something Lage said to him, not to mention some of the rumours that were coming out of Compton.

The behaviour and sudden downturn in performance of players that have been nothing but outright professional for 4+ years, should have set alarm bells ringing much earlier.

On Saturday Lage and many of the players not coming over to acknowledge travelling fans, was though, for me, completely unforgivable, then throwing players under the bus AGAIN, criticising them for it, not understanding that lack of respect starts and end with him.

Even Southgate, who has been on the receiving end of a lot of flak recently, had the decency to applaud the fans after his teams performances and take the proverbial kick to the nether regions.

Things all seemed to go wrong from about Feb/Mar last year, around the same time of Hoevers public shaming (and that's not to say Lage was wrong, look at Hoevers current managers comments on his work ethic, just wasn't done in the right way) rumoured spats with Jonny and other senior players and things just seemed to have unravelled dramatically this season since Coady departed.

Regarding Coady, I've said before, I wonder as club captain whether he defended Lage for as long as he could, but also shielded the players as much as he could from Lages man management. If his reward for that was to be told he couldn't play in a back 4, demoted to playing 3rd sub, and stripped of the captaincy, you really can't blame him for feeling a bit aggrieved and wanting out.

Since joining Everton, Coady has fitted straight into a back 4, has taken the Captains armband and Everton gone from having the 16th best defence in 21/22 to now the best in the PL. Now that's a strange co-incidence!

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
He does like a booking. Gets a lot for shouting at the ref though, he must be really abusive with that because they don't hang about getting the card out!
I wonder if that's because refs have now been educated on the meaning of certain Portuguese insults :)

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady, Saiss, Dendoncker and Boly gone. Neves ending up playing centre back. What has he done to our squad. I hope the damage can be repaired quickly.
You can add Marcal to that list as well, Frank. Hoever could also play in central defence and he’s gone for the season too.

6 players who play/can play in central defence out and 1 coming in.

Baffling, just baffling!

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Coady is/was a modern day Wolves legend but I have no issue in him not starting the season in a back four for us. He had an awful time there when we tried to play a back four under Nuno and was the common denominator in some of the worst defensive performances we have given in the Premier League in that formation (Albion, West Ham and Burnley at home immediately spring to mind).

He also looked out of sorts and a long way behind Collins and Kilman in that formation in pre-season so I had no issue with him having to start on the bench and wait to win his place.

However, to loan him out when the Manager obviously doesn’t trust Toti and Mosquera to play and when we have ended up going to a back three with Neves as a sweeper is crazy.

As far as I’m aware, he was still Club Captain so the situation was similar to what happened with Danny Batth when we initially transitioned to a three under Nuno. Batth was Club Captain but Coady took the armband on the pitch.

Shame it has ended as it did for both him and us. Snide comments on Social Media don’t help anyone though.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Conor is/was ur captain and our leader. Best skipper since Mike Bailey and we’ve had a few since then. He has limitations I know, but his leadership skills cannot be questioned and that is vitally important both on and off the pitch.

Captain of Everton while Pickford has been injured and probably on the plane for the World Cup.

I would put him straight back in our defence tomorrow. A back 3 of Kilman, Coady and Collins would be ok by me. Just to say I will never understand why we dispensed with Conor, Saiss, Boly, Marcal and the versatile Donk who can play in central defence as well. Baffling!

All about opinions I know and that’s mine.

I agree about dispensing of the depth - we're horrendously short in all key areas of the pitch and that's all on Scott/Jeff and their day to day handling of the club.

If his biggest asset is leadership, then Coady adds nothing to this squad by being on the bench, he's shown time and time again that he can't be trusted in a 4, under two managers, and let's face it he threw his toys out of the pram during pre season and couldn't wait to get out of here when he found out he wouldn't be starting.

His comments on leaving, and his families reaction on social media lead to the assumption that he would be contributing to a toxic atmosphere in the background - hardly fitting of "captain leader legend".

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hoever could also play in central defence and he’s gone for the season too.

Hoever can't hack it in defense for one of the best teams in the Netherlands, he'd be getting ragdolled week in week out by pretty much all of the mutant premier League strikers if he was to start in central defence here.

Absolute shocking player, Liverpool have had our pants down.

Bradstonian

Reaction score
Coady brought so much to the team that can't be quantified. The fact he's noticed more by his absence tells you that.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady brought so much to the team that can't be quantified. The fact he's noticed more by his absence tells you that.

Our defenders haven't been an issue this season. Our attacking impotence is.

Not once this season have I found myself thinking "I wish we had Coady back at the halfway line screaming for the ball" while we're fannying around near the opposition box.

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
@Mutchy @bod101 can the various Lage threads be merged please?

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't say I have noticed him being missed, until Collins suspension and that could have been covered by trusting in Toti as the backup.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Explains this from Coady's sister....

View attachment 30533

Thats not particularly classy from her, but i guess we dont know whats happened behind the scenes.

All i can say is we better not accept anything less than 25 million for Coady. He's playing well and thats not an unfair valuation for an English center half in his prime.

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ive not saw once social media post from any of our players thanking Bruno or anythiing. Think that speaks volumes. He had to go. Hopefully the damaged can be repaired and still early enough in the season to sort. We need a good appointment now.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thats not particularly classy from her, but i guess we dont know whats happened behind the scenes.

All i can say is we better not accept anything less than 25 million for Coady. He's playing well and thats not an unfair valuation for an English center half in his prime.
I assume the option price has already been set. Was it reported at the onset of the loan?

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
I assume the option price has already been set. Was it reported at the onset of the loan?

The talk was around £9m-12m I believe. Remember being surprised at how low it was but I guess a player is only worth what somebody is willing to pay.

The feeling at the time was that we were being kind to Coady in recognition of his service to us by giving him the best chance of going to Qatar.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Its only an option, and i'm sure we could refuse it as it isnt an obligation. We have done him and Everton a favour loaning him out, we dont have to be the gift that keeps on giving.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its only an option, and i'm sure we could refuse it as it isnt an obligation. We have done him and Everton a favour loaning him out, we dont have to be the gift that keeps on giving.
Coady is water under the bridge. We should move on. Both sides have had good value out of his time with us. Good luck to him at Everton. I hope he retains his place in their team and they take up the option at the end of the season. We can't keep wallowing in nostalgia for ex players and ex managers.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well @Hoganstolemywife think you stated we were looking to replace him in the summer but we had no chance of getting the candidates or candidate.

If its amorim it would be interestings.

My concern, is the rumours of forcing podence to get coritsone injections to play, if he lost the dressing room last year after going down to 10th, how we have succumbed to playing 8 games with the ****!
Shi and Sellars have a fair bit to answer to.
I'd fire the lot .

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We've agreed a fee for the option, it's the buying clubs discretion whether they activate it or not. Don't think we can reject it after it's written into the contract.

Back
Top Bottom