Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Diego Costa

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What was Billy Wright like as a ****houser??

I’m putting this up to illustrate what some people seem to like about Costa, but I feel dirty in even mentioning Sir Billy in the same context!

Billy was just a class above all of that, both on and off the field !!

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

1+1 if he hits certain goal objectives. I don't have any problem with that, if he bangs in 10 goals everyone will be begging for him to be renewed anyway. Bring it on. He'll adapt here very easily because half the team/coaching staff are Portuguese/Spanish, and the fans will embrace him wholeheartedly if he throws his weight around and takes his chances.

He's either going to be terrible and past it, or brilliant and a cult hero. Strap your seatbelts in all!

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What was Billy Wright like as a ****houser??

I’m putting this up to illustrate what some people seem to like about Costa, but I feel dirty in even mentioning Sir Billy in the same context!

Billy was just a class above all of that, both on and off the field !!
Good question,different era where players got up and got on with it as there was no subs, imagine VAR back in their day, be bizarre

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well I am late 30s and I grew up with the knowlege of what a superstar he was
Me too (in my 40s) but our knowledge is based upon other people's knowledge.

I doubt very much if I've even seen 90 minutes (total) footage of him playing.

We take it in good faith that he was as good as they say, and have no reason to question the old tales - the stats seem to backup the hype.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We take it in good faith that he was as good as they say, and have no reason to question the old tales - the stats seem to backup the hype.
My dad thought he was God like, so do I dad’s know best

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

i was fortunately enough to have watched him play for 4 to 5 years although very young, he was a player you always remember,
as someone else on here said he was hard as nails but not dirty and gave as good as he got, He was from a different mould to the likes of chopper Harris, Tommy Smith, and the Leeds animals, etc etc who followed Sir Billy's era,

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, Billy Wright, Emlyn Hughes & Andy Gray were probably higher profile from a U.K. public perspective.
Wright and Hughes were also what we now call "celebrities", known in the UK at least, outside of football circles, in the way that Beckham or Ronaldo have been. Don't think Costa falls into that same category.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly many believe that football started in1992 (have a look at Sky, who only talk about players since the PL was formed). Luckily I am old enough to have seen Billy play. Big namet and even more impressive person.
Unless he's completely oblivious to Wolves history, it must have been.

Although I remember one poster having never heard if Ferenc Puskas so you never know.

doogisgod

Groupie
Reaction score
i was fortunately enough to have watched him play for 4 to 5 years although very young, he was a player you always remember,
as someone else on here said he was hard as nails but not dirty and gave as good as he got, He was from a different mould to the likes of chopper Harris, Tommy Smith, and the Leeds animals, etc etc who followed Sir Billy's era,
Billy captained England in 90 consecutive matches. He was never cautioned (i.e. yellow carded) or sent off even once during his whole career. All Wolves supporters have every reason to be proud of him and to be grateful he played for our wonderful club.

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Billy captained England in 90 consecutive matches. He was never cautioned (i.e. yellow carded) or sent off even once during his whole career. All Wolves supporters have every reason to be proud of him and to be grateful he played for our wonderful club.
Unfortunately lots of fans remember him for the hungary game at wembley when puskas destroyed us

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

1+1 if he hits certain goal objectives. I don't have any problem with that, if he bangs in 10 goals everyone will be begging for him to be renewed anyway. Bring it on. He'll adapt here very easily because half the team/coaching staff are Portuguese/Spanish, and the fans will embrace him wholeheartedly if he throws his weight around and takes his chances.

He's either going to be terrible and past it, or brilliant and a cult hero. Strap your seatbelts in all!
I agree with this. I think we'll all know pretty quickly how good/bad he now is. We could all sadly clearly see the decline in Jimenez. It will most probably take him up to the WC break to perform well over 90 minutes? Up to then if he just moves around the penalty box and provides an option for our creative players and distracts the opposition that's fine by me. We haven't had any presence in the area since Jimenez's injury.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Wright and Hughes were also what we now call "celebrities", known in the UK at least, outside of football circles, in the way that Beckham or Ronaldo have been. Don't think Costa falls into that same category.
That's a fair point, suppose my counter would be that football coverage since Premier League has been all consuming in a way I'm told it wasn't in the past (part of reason someone like my Dad is a bit sick of it).

Costa was larger than life which helped, also was a top player. He can get the FA Cup to complete his English trophy tally with us to tick all boxes

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Billy Wright was well-known locally and globally. Football was more about the legacy fans back then. Billy would just show up in Bilston and help a random person he didn't know move house - he was known on and off the field regardless of whether those people liked football or not, and was known globally for the floodlit friendlies and being England captain. His legacy has lived on thanks to his presence around Molineux for many years, and the club ensuring our history isn't forgotten.

Emlyn Hughes was well-known nationally but not so much globally. Maybe some football fans but that's about it, and he wouldn't have been recognized by everyone nationally (although football fans would, without doubt). Football didn't have the same gravitas within society as it does now.

Costa would be recognized by any football fan within a certain age group anywhere across the globe. He might not have married a Beverley Sister or been on Question of Sport, and he may not be as important to us or have achieved as much in the game as some players mentioned, but in terms of profile with football fans across the globe this is pretty big.

Emlyn Hughes is not even close to the same category as David Beckham. Miles off. Beckham coming to Wolves instead of PSG or AC Milan when he did would have been stratospheric.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Feel like no one is really disagreeing, just a different world isn't it.
Different question, is his currently the "best" player in our squad at their respective peaks? Joao the only other real competitor, but Costa was more of a big time Champions League player imo so he'd pip him.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean, regardless of his quality it's crazy to see Wolves have a rocky start after spending huge and then still going out and TRYING to find a replacement. That's really encouraging.

Hope this kind of support continues.

This feels far bigger than when we got Moutinho. And that was huge.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You'd hope that is just a formality tbf, wonder what money he is on? Few million doesn't seem off, £40kish? Strikers get paid more anyway and we are desperate - however doubt other teams lining up.
If he can get us 10-15 goals this season that's great. I expect he could better that next season.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

He certainly took some hits in that Mineiro video. If he can still walk after that, the Prem will be like a holiday.
Brazil game is way less intense pressing wise and in terms of duels but yeah South American football is far more brutal.

Marcos Rojo was lobbing fire extinguishers around after a loss a few years ago.

dennison11

Reaction score
Personally I think with him in the team it's going to create more.space for Neto, Podence and Nunes to score and create more. Can't ****ing wait to see him pull the shirt on

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if Costa has any chance of a WC slot in the Spanish team?

Back
Top Bottom