Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Morgan Gibbs-White

rubyloo

Reaction score
I am forever grateful for those two little turn/flicky things he did against Chelsea a few years ago.

Apart from that, never saw anything in this bloke apart from giving the ball away cheaply.

I live in Nottingham, so this season is going to be very good or very bad for me.

Last edited:

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You’ve got 35 million on the table

Fabio silva sitting in one chair

MGW sitting in the other one.

Who would you spend your money on?
I have never thought MGW has shown enough on a consistent basis but that’s just my opinion. A lot of managers must have checked him out last season but only Forest interested, tells you something.

I can see how you’re thinking with this scenario and that is you would take MGW, no brainer.

I personally, would take Silva and here are my reasons. MGW hasn’t improved quickly enough for me to think he will ever be anything other than mediocre. With the players we had already and the new ones just in, we have better options for his position.

Fabio still has time to improve and is two and a half years younger. There aren’t many 20 year old centre forwards that have ripped up the prem or were miles better at his age so whilst I’ll admit it would be a bit of gamble, that is what I would do.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not only have we bought well this window it appears we have sold very very well too!
So does that means we have even more to spend on a CF?

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Imagine if we played forest in the final game and they needed 3 points to stay up, and we got £7m if they stay up from the MGW deal.

Completely made up scenario, but has anything happened like that before?

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Imagine if we played forest in the final game and they needed 3 points to stay up, and we got £7m if they stay up from the MGW deal.

Last game of the season last season villa benefited from man city winning the league with greasy and we would have benefited from Liverpool winning they league with jota

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes there’s always that possibility but I don’t think we could run the risk of playing him for a season or 2 and hoping he reached that level. Especially when there’s this sort of money on the table and he’s out of contract next year.
I have just looked to check and his current contract runs out June 2024.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Maybe in a few years, the expression 'Doing a Forest' will be used for promoted clubs daring to aim higher than just mere survival.

Pretty sure that’s doing a Wolves is it not, or did I dream the bit where we came up went to an FA Cup semi and finished 7th qualifying for Europe?
Our achievement was arguably the greatest by a newly promoted club in the entirety of this century, after 2001 Ipswich, yet it has been memory holed in short order by the plurality of sports media. I won't lie - the way they fawned over Leeds' midtable place finish, and how Bielsa somehow wended his way onto the Manager of the Season shortlist when Nuno was snubbed, really bothered me. Perhaps they view us as some corrupted puppet of the wicked super agent, and that what we achieved somehow doesn't count?

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our achievement was arguably the greatest by a newly promoted club in the entirety of this century, after 2001 Ipswich, yet it has been memory holed in short order by the plurality of sports media. I won't lie - the way they fawned over Leeds' midtable place finish, and how Bielsa somehow wended his way onto the Manager of the Season shortlist when Nuno was snubbed, really bothered me. Perhaps they view us as some corrupted puppet of the wicked super agent, and that what we achieved somehow doesn't count?
I think it’s much simpler than that, we were new and interesting and then it became normal and they got bored.

Leeds will be just another club this season as, apparently Forest are going to be the interesting new toy for a while.

Gold67

Groupie
Reaction score

Cracking point. Classic conflict of interests. Especially if we won the Premier by 10 clear points, Forest stayed up, and Vile were relegated after a 3-0 NF win.
That buzzy noise is a hornet or two.... million

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m coming in round to this deal after an initial pang of disappointment.

Yea, the lad got a bit screwed over by Nuno a few years back but as far as I’m aware he’s had no other reason to be unhappy at Wolves?

It speaks volumes for his character off the pitch if, after one good loan spell in the championship, he’s come back demanding full game time and trying to hold the club to ransom due to his contract length, or lack of.

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Someone call the police on Jeff, because today we've witnessed daylight robbery.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I’m coming in round to this deal after an initial pang of disappointment.

Yea, the lad got a bit screwed over by Nuno a few years back but as far as I’m aware he’s had no other reason to be unhappy at Wolves?

It speaks volumes for his character off the pitch if, after one good loan spell in the championship, he’s come back demanding full game time and trying to hold the club to ransom due to his contract length, or lack of.
That's just an absurd overreaction. He's not holding anyone to ransom, wanted to wait on new deal logically and we got an offer to good to turn down. Worked out for everyone.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's just an absurd overreaction. He's not holding anyone to ransom, wanted to wait on new deal logically and we got an offer to good to turn down. Worked out for everyone.
It’s worked out well, I agree, but if he wanted to stay then he would have signed the contract that we allegedly had on the table for him. Waiting it out for a better deal is all well and good but not when you are his age, inexperienced and having only had 1 real good season.

I’d have preferred to have kept him as I think he’s a class player and will be fantastic in a few years but he clearly wasn’t keen on staying. So here we are…

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

It’s worked out well, I agree, but if he wanted to stay then he would have signed the contract that we allegedly had on the table for him. Waiting it out for a better deal is all well and good but not when you are his age, inexperienced and having only had 1 real good season.

I’d have preferred to have kept him as I think he’s a class player and will be fantastic in a few years but he clearly wasn’t keen on staying. So here we are…
Waiting out was the only logical thing to do for him. Signing a new deal made no sense.

Good for us and wish him well

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good luck to him. He has a couple of season ro reach Nunes stage of development.

Fair exchange is no robbery

TStarr

Reaction score
Don't like seeing home grown talent leave, but tbh I have never seen anything in MGW to make me think he was going to be a worldy for Wolves - so to think we have virtually swapped him for Nunes, seems a rather fantastic deal, and hats off to Wolves management, whilst wishing MGW all the best.

Netherton Wolf

Reaction score
I'm actually more gutted with this than Coady, would rather have lost Hwang/Podence ( but that was never going to happen), good luck Morgan, you are going to a nice club ( glad u chose these over Everton if rumours r to b believed ) , hope you have a fantastic career

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm actually more gutted with this than Coady, would rather have lost Hwang/Podence ( but that was never going to happen), good luck Morgan, you are going to a nice club ( glad u chose these over Everton if rumours r to b believed ) , hope you have a fantastic career
I was hoping we would keep him, but they obviously want him to sign the contract now to cover themselves so we don't get stuck with another player declining in value like Adama.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Waiting out was the only logical thing to do for him. Signing a new deal made no sense.

Good for us and wish him well
He didn’t wait though?

You’ve said this a few times and I don’t get your point. I would agree entirely if he did actually wait but he didn’t. He signed elsewhere in the first window possible.

He hasn’t moved to a better club. He hasn’t increased his chances of game time. He hasn’t increased his chances of getting into the England squad.

He’s also made it significantly harder to get a move to a top club in the near future as he’s stuck on a long contract at a bottom half club.

From a football perspective there is no reason for this move, so it’s clearly financial.

That’s his prerogative so if that’s what he wants to do, that’s up to him. It’s his right.

He should get booed coming back to Molineux though because he’s refused to sign for us and effectively forced a move to Forest.

Agree that it’s a good deal for us though.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

He didn’t wait though?

You’ve said this a few times and I don’t get your point. I would agree entirely if he did actually wait but he didn’t. He signed elsewhere in the first window possible.

He hasn’t moved to a better club. He hasn’t increased his chances of game time. He hasn’t increased his chances of getting into the England squad.

He’s also made it significantly harder to get a move to a top club in the near future as he’s stuck on a long contract at a bottom half club.

From a football perspective there is no reason for this move, so it’s clearly financial.

That’s his prerogative so if that’s what he wants to do, that’s up to him. It’s his right.

He should get booed coming back to Molineux though because he’s refused to sign for us and effectively forced a move to Forest.

He did wait, he wouldn't sign a new contract so he waited out to see what happened move to a manager he knows loves him. And with Nunes and Guedes he'll play a lot more football.

He'll be a nailed on starter at Forest. Don't think you understand how much Cooper loves him.

Imagine being pressed enough to boo him, what a strange thought process.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He didn’t wait though?

I don't believe it's Morgan forcing the move. This is pretty much what I got told weeks ago what's happening now. I don't blame him for not signing straight away and seeing how things go, and I don't blame Wolves for not wanting to leave themselves vulnerable again with a player declining in value who nobody seems to want. I think it's more a Fosun instigated move rather than a MGW one.

I don't think he has done anything disrespectful enough to deserve being booed. Nobody is suggesting that for Adama who has also refused to sign a new contract and wants a move, and he is still worshipped by plenty on here still despite this. To me, it's just sensible from everyone to get the move done.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He didn’t wait though?

Hang on. What do you mean he didn't wait? Do you realise that it is our club that is selling him? You might not like him but you cant make up stories that have no substance. What do you seriously think he put a contract forward for Forest to sign without Wolves knowing? Forest approached Wolves and that is the way it is done. If Wolves wanted Morgan to stay he would still be here. Simple as. One could even turn your argument round the other way. If Wolves had waited to see how things went. But they didn't.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He did wait, he wouldn't sign a new contract so he waited out to see what happened move to a manager he knows loves him. And with Nunes and Guedes he'll play a lot more football.

He'll be a nailed on starter at Forest. Don't think you understand how much Cooper loves him.

Imagine being pressed enough to boo him, what a strange thought process.
The fact that visiting players happen to have played for us in the past just seems like an excuse to boo these days rather than a genuine axe to grind. Booing opposition players became even more popular after Albion players on the receiving end like Paul Crichton and the other bloke Buckley took to Albion from Grimsby turned to gibbering wrecks. Seems the rationale is if it put a few players off their game in the past let's try it with as many as we can be ***** to dish it out to just in case. I've even seen players get booed mercilessly all game then get a decent reception at the end of the game.... go figure!

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

The fact that visiting players happen to have played for us in the past just seems like an excuse to boo these days rather than a genuine axe to grind. Booing opposition players became even more popular after Albion players on the receiving end like Paul Crichton and the other bloke Buckley took to Albion from Grimsby turned to gibbering wrecks. Seems the rationale is if it put a few players off their game in the past let's try it with as many as we can be ***** to dish it out to just in case. I've even seen players get booed mercilessly all game then get a decent reception at the end of the game.... go figure!
Yeah, it doesn't bother me just find it a bit odd and cringey at times. The Jota one was particularly weird

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hang on. What do you mean he didn't wait? Do you realise that it is our club that is selling him? You might not like him but you cant make up stories that have no substance. What do you seriously think he put a contract forward for Forest to sign without Wolves knowing? Forest approached Wolves and that is the way it is done. If Wolves wanted Morgan to stay he would still be here. Simple as. One could even turn your argument round the other way. If Wolves had waited to see how things went. But they didn't.
How did he wait?

All summer the (now proven to be false) narrative has been MGW will wait until the transfer window has shut and then will sign a new contract at Wolves if he’s a regular because it’s all about football apparently.

So how has he waited? He’s left before the deadline after playing EVERY minute possible so far.

He was talked up in the press. He was handed the captaincy in a friendly and namechecked as a potential future captain.

He’s had an offer on the table since May to sign a new deal.

So, Wolves wanted him to stay.

We have one of the most reliable journalists around (Ornstein) saying he refused to discuss a new deal with Wolves.

We have another (Romano) claiming personal terms were agreed with Forest weeks ago.

As far as I see it, MGW has left Wolves with two choices.

1. Sell a player who will see his value drop significantly in the next two windows as he’s refusing to sign a new deal.

2. Keep a player who wants to leave for a season or two all whist his value is dropping.

In reality, that’s not really a choice. Everyone chooses to sell now instead of keeping a player who wants to go.

Again, he’s a footballer, it’s his job. He can do it if he wants but he’s engineered this.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How did he wait?

All summer the (now proven to be false) narrative has been MGW will wait until the transfer window has shut and then will sign a new contract at Wolves if he’s a regular because it’s all about football apparently.

So how has he waited? He’s left before the deadline after playing EVERY minute possible so far.

He was talked up in the press. He was handed the captaincy in a friendly and namechecked as a potential future captain.

He’s had an offer on the table since May to sign a new deal.

So, Wolves wanted him to stay.

We have one of the most reliable journalists around (Ornstein) saying he refused to discuss a new deal with Wolves.

We have another (Romano) claiming personal terms were agreed with Forest weeks ago.

As far as I see it, MGW has left Wolves with two choices.

1. Sell a player who will see his value drop significantly in the next two windows as he’s refusing to sign a new deal.

2. Keep a player who wants to leave for a season or two all whist his value is dropping.

In reality, that’s not really a choice. Everyone chooses to sell now instead of keeping a player who wants to go.

Again, he’s a footballer, it’s his job. He can do it if he wants but he’s engineered this.
As far as I am aware, the narrative has always been he would sign around January if he was happy with his playing time and the only way he would be sold earlier would be because Fosun weren't willing to wait.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally I don't care if MGW wanted out or Jeff told him we were selling him. You will never get to the truth of the situation each side will have different perceptions.

The more interesting question is did the MGW deal yeild any extra unplanned income.

If they got to £30m guaranteed last week, but Jeff pushed for an extra £5m - is that a bonus that means we can buy an extra player, or we can push for a more expensive striker?

I don't mind losing Morgan from a football perspective, he is talented and in five years will be a good Premier league player. But we have players in Guedes and Neto who can do the same job. Freeing up £30m for a striker, which we desperately need, is a no brainer.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As far as I am aware, the narrative has always been he would sign around January if he was happy with his playing time and the only way he would be sold earlier would be because Fosun weren't willing to wait.
You can’t wait. It’s totally unrealistic and it’s a weak excuse to cling to IMO.

MGW agreed terms with Forest weeks ago (Romano) and had no intention of signing a new deal with Wolves (Ornstein & Keen).

If you don’t want to believe them, fair enough.
If you don’t see that as a player effectively forcing his way out, fair enough.

Seems pretty clear to me he’s left Wolves in a position where they realistically have to sell.

That doesn’t sit too well with me considering he’s said on camera last month he wanted to ‘prove to the manager why I should be here and playing every week’.

Yet he was singled out for more praise than anyone in pre-season and has played under Lage…

He is also doing this to join Forest. Not better than us, equally as hard to get in the XI and so on as mentioned above.

I’m personally disappointed an academy lad would act in this way and I see him as someone chasing the money and hope it doesn’t work out for him at all at Forest to be honest.

Will leave it at that. The main thing is we got a good deal and we’ve got enough options to cope without MGW in my opinion, even if I do think he’s talented and could go on to have a very good career.

Back
Top Bottom