Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Morgan Gibbs-White

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can’t wait. It’s totally unrealistic and it’s a weak excuse to cling to IMO.

MGW agreed terms with Forest weeks ago (Romano) and had no intention of signing a new deal with Wolves (Ornstein & Keen).

If you don’t want to believe them, fair enough.
If you don’t see that as a player effectively forcing his way out, fair enough.

Seems pretty clear to me he’s left Wolves in a position where they realistically have to sell.

That doesn’t sit too well with me considering he’s said on camera last month he wanted to ‘prove to the manager why I should be here and playing every week’.

Yet he was singled out for more praise than anyone in pre-season and has played under Lage…

He is also doing this to join Forest. Not better than us, equally as hard to get in the XI and so on as mentioned above.

I’m personally disappointed an academy lad would act in this way and I see him as someone chasing the money and hope it doesn’t work out for him at all at Forest to be honest.

Will leave it at that. The main thing is we got a good deal and we’ve got enough options to cope without MGW in my opinion, even if I do think he’s talented and could go on to have a very good career.
It's just not as black and white as you are making it. Both parties have valid concerns, neither is in the wrong imo. And for the record, I believe what I got told was correct by somebody who knows MGW pretty well and i believe them over these journos. Morgan was happy enough to stay, he just wanted to make sure it it was right for him.

I don't see the difference between him and Adama really yet you aren't as critical of Adama and calling for him to be booed. The only differences are one had a successful loan spell and the other didn't, and one had clubs after him and the other doesn't.

Last edited:

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I fior one will be delighted if we have to pay Sporting all of the add ons!
As for MGW I'd like him to have stayed and signed a new contract but if its not going to happen then that is too much to turn down especially as its being said that £7-10 million is very achievable.
I'm only guessing here but maybe £7M for Forest staying up this season and another £3M based on appearances.

I reckon the harder to attain add-ons are European qualification, England debut and England appearances.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the face of it, this is a good deal for Wolves. MGW had one good season in the Champo, but is unproven in the Prem. £25m rising to a probable £35m is probably better than we received for Jota and lots believed that to be a good deal.
MGW wouldn't sign a new contract so had evidently fallen out of love with a club to whom he had been with for 14 years. We nurtured him, developed him and stood by him. We couldn't have done more and despite Bruno stating he would have liked to keep him, a swap for Nunes (similar money if the add-ons are triggered), is stunning business for Wolves. It will be interesting watching Morgan's progress at Forest, but personally, I think we got the best of the deal.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we would have held our ground with him tbh if he had an extra year on his contract. With 5 subs you are probably going to see 14 or 15 players getting plenty of gametime and he could have interchanged with Guedes, Neto, Podence, Hwang and Traore probably.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Forget the fee for a moment, he clearly wants to leave and join Forest as opposed to staying here.

Even without my gold tinted specs, that’s a bit odd is it not.

Something never quite right with his time here. Don’t quite though what it is. I still think his mrs doesn’t help the situation either, don’t care what anyone says.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I guess if MGW’s preference was to stay to see if he got the game time he wanted but didn’t want to sign a long term contract, he could have signed a 1 year extension. The danger from Wolves pov is that the downside of his value deteriorating due to performance level and lack of playing time outweighs the potential upside of performing to a level that commands a fee above £35m so most sensible for Wolves to sell.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He could have signed a new deal but didn’t. That’s why he’s been sold. Had he signed a new deal, Forest would have gotten the hint and we wouldn’t have sold.

He wanted to leave. He wanted to leave to go to Forest, it would have been more understandable if it was a good club.

Basically he’s come back from loan with his agent and family blowing smoke up his bum, effectively demanded playing time and refusing to sign a new contract until the CLUB have proved themselves to HIM?! I don’t get what he’s done in his career to actually think that’s ok.

If Forest go down he will be the first one knocking doors down to get out of there despite being seemingly desperate to join them.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Forget the fee for a moment, he clearly wants to leave and join Forest as opposed to staying here.

Something never quite right with his time here. Don’t quite though what it is. I still think his mrs doesn’t help the situation either, don’t care what anyone says.
Agree compare his attitude towards the club to neves or Neto
I appreciate that he wasn’t treated well by nuno but he’s long gone

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In a 433 mgw wasn’t in our best 11.
4231 and I’d of said it was pretty close between him and podence, but Bruno definitely seems to favour podence there.

I’ve always felt we, as a club, have a policy of being very willing to sell players that aren’t nailed on starters. Especially given a short contract situation.

It’s a good deal for us. I wish him well and actually like forest so will enjoy following his career there.

(imo if forest had made a straight £20m bid even without any add ons we would have ended up excepting it, we just wanted to control the timing. They’ve got themselves a good player, but I think they have handled negotiations naively)

Himleywolf

Reaction score
I feel it’s a good deal for everyone.
Let's face it he has never looked like he fits in with the Wolves. Apart from that 2nd half against Chelsea a few years ago, we don't seem to get the best out of him (even though we don't know what his best is, if that makes sense).
Well done Wolves with the negotiations it would have been so easy to have cashed out a few weeks ago, my only slight worry is in the future we look back like we do with Jota and think we have maybe come out of this 2nd best.

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The whole partying during lockdown soured alot of fans opinion of him including myself

I've heard from people who have been around him say his ego was ridiculous when he broke into the first team, and his current missus made his attitude worse.

Could be just hearsay tbh I don't know, thats what I was told/heard

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There was all of us thinking we'd have to sell Neves to free funds up to get quality in.
Jeff's like Nah, keep Neves and sell some squad fodder to bring in quality instead.

MGW is OK, he just never really fitted in the way we play under Bruno or Nuno, so to get that sort of fee for a player who will never be a regular is great for us.

Reaction score
I wanted him back this season and think he could have cemented a place in the starting XI.
Despite his waffle, he's clearly never been interested in grafting for that place and wanted it gift wrapped.
We've done the right thing selling him. If you're not Old Gold through and through then cheerio!

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given what was said in the Nunes thread:

WhY haveNt ForeESt ann0nuced th1s yet? Hwo lonG doeS it taek to mak a neW singnging vide0?

Woody

Groupie
Reaction score
The whole partying during lockdown soured alot of fans opinion of him including myself

I've heard from people who have been around him say his ego was ridiculous when he broke into the first team, and his current missus made his attitude worse.

Could be just hearsay tbh I don't know, thats what I was told/heard
I have no real knowledge about his ego but during the course of my work I've been lucky enough to mingle with the players on a few occasions and I've always thought that he stood out as being slightly extravagant in his appearance, considerably more 'blingy' than his peers.
That said, Patricio did walk around in a watch worth a cool half million

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably in the minority here, but I am actually sad to see him go. Has a much higher ceiling than players like Podence and Hwang imo and I think he would have a good season with us. Really liked the spirit he showed in the Fulham game.

However, if he didn't want to sign a contract Wolves did the right thing.

Now I'm gonna start to save up for my £100 bet: MGW to score when Forest visit Molineux.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He could have signed a new deal but didn’t. That’s why he’s been sold. Had he signed a new deal, Forest would have gotten the hint and we wouldn’t have sold.

He wanted to leave. He wanted to leave to go to Forest, it would have been more understandable if it was a good club.

Basically he’s come back from loan with his agent and family blowing smoke up his bum, effectively demanded playing time and refusing to sign a new contract until the CLUB have proved themselves to HIM?! I don’t get what he’s done in his career to actually think that’s ok.

If Forest go down he will be the first one knocking doors down to get out of there despite being seemingly desperate to join them.

Tbf to Morgan, he has a good relationship with their coach so its not exactly a surprise he sees them as a good option.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given what was said in the Nunes thread:

WhY haveNt ForeESt ann0nuced th1s yet? Hwo lonG doeS it taek to mak a neW singnging vide0?
The forest media team are worn out.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has alot of potential and I can understand the price tag so I don't view it as crazy money.
Jota was different as he wasn't playing for us at the time but we all knew he was a natural goal scorer on his day.
Liverpool have improved him since but he still remains injury prone.
I think the club did all they could to keep MGW. Be interested to see how Forest utilise him and how he progresses.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He didn’t wait though?

You’ve said this a few times and I don’t get your point. I would agree entirely if he did actually wait but he didn’t. He signed elsewhere in the first window possible.

He hasn’t moved to a better club. He hasn’t increased his chances of game time. He hasn’t increased his chances of getting into the England squad.

He’s also made it significantly harder to get a move to a top club in the near future as he’s stuck on a long contract at a bottom half club.

From a football perspective there is no reason for this move, so it’s clearly financial.

That’s his prerogative so if that’s what he wants to do, that’s up to him. It’s his right.

He should get booed coming back to Molineux though because he’s refused to sign for us and effectively forced a move to Forest.

Agree that it’s a good deal for us though.
How can you dislike a local lad who came through the academy and has become our record selling fee?

Anyone booing him has to be a complete dick.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think his experience of being brought back from his loan spell at Swansea to bench warm, and being our best player pre-season 20/21 to bench warm again until loaned at to Sheff Utd, would have dissuaded him from club loyalty.

Going from a club who, along with many of its fans, questioned his ability to one where he was clearly wanted and adulated (Sheff Utd) would certainly boost his self confidence and belief. With Forest he is perhaps their ‘key’ signing and clearly wanted. At Wolves he’d be joining the queue for game time. Again.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How can you dislike a local lad who came through the academy and has become our record selling fee?

Anyone booing him has to be a complete dick.
I explain quite clearly.

Because he refused to sign a new deal and chose to move to a club worse than us.

You say ‘local lad who came through the academy’ as though it means he has love for the club when his actions suggest the complete opposite.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I explain quite clearly.

Because he refused to sign a new deal and chose to move to a club worse than us.

You say ‘local lad who came through the academy’ as though it means he has love for the club when his actions suggest the complete opposite.
We don’t know that Forest are a worse club than us yet; they are probably ahead of us in where we were when we got promoted, have good local support and some good players and coach. We can only make that judgement at the end of the season.
I wanted MGW to stay, and I am convinced that he would have remained a key player for us, but I wish him well, we have got good money for him and I hope Forest stay up. Indeed I hope that all midlands clubs do well (as long as they are behind us, obviously) because I want the midlands to be a football powerhouse again, and not the NW or London.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Why should Forest waste this opportunity to build on Cooper's upward momentum? What would be the point in exercising caution, to then be relegated and take the parachute payments?

Forest are determined to make this season a memorable one, and Sunday's victory over West Ham provided firm evidence that they could surprise people this season.

Maybe in a few years, the expression 'Doing a Forest' will be used for promoted clubs daring to aim higher than just mere survival.

Pretty sure that’s doing a Wolves is it not, or did I dream the bit where we came up went to an FA Cup semi and finished 7th qualifying for Europe?

Maybe worth pointing out that the 'win' against West Ham came after a goal where the ball was kicked off their new striker, and West Ham missing a penalty and hitting the woodwork 600 times.

A long way to go for them, but Cooper is probably the man to do it.

Sanewolf

Reaction score
MGW is a bottom half premier league player at best IMO, we have just sold said player for a fee of up to £45 million. I believe this to be the best piece of business Wolves have ever done (Steve Bull signing excluded), we have basically signed Nunez for free.

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We don’t know that Forest are a worse club than us yet; they are probably ahead of us in where we were when we got promoted, have good local support and some good players and coach. We can only make that judgement at the end of the season.
I wanted MGW to stay, and I am convinced that he would have remained a key player for us, but I wish him well, we have got good money for him and I hope Forest stay up. Indeed I hope that all midlands clubs do well (as long as they are behind us, obviously) because I want the midlands to be a football powerhouse again, and not the NW or London.
No way are they ahead of us from when we got promoted.

We came up known as probably the best team to come out of the championship. We signed superstar names like Patricio and Moutinho. We then went on to finish 7th and get to an FA Cup semi final.

Forest came up through the playoffs and have signed A LOT of average players. Lets see where they finish.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For the fee involved, it's an absolute no-brainer to sell, especially with his reluctance to sign a new deal. For me, he was never anything better than "ok" in a Wolves shirt, but too concerned with flicks and tricks than playing the pass at the right pace and at the right time. Maybe Nuno and Lage have been using him in the wrong positions, and Cooper will find the right solution, but he always seemed to struggle to find the right pockets of space.

I do wonder what exactly the big pull for him with Forest is though. You would think for a local lad who's been at the club since 8 to be able to play for that team in the Premier League would be the ultimate fantasy, but he seemed somewhat non-plussed about making it here in the end. Firstly, preferring to stay at the Blades last season when apparently he could have returned in January and now being content to go to a newly-promoted team that hasn't played top flight football in 23 years.

This isn't comparable to Traore wanting to get a move to one of the biggest clubs in world football and to return to his homeland.

In any case, it was probably inevitable that we would have to manage to make one big sale in light of Guedes and Nunes (and another) coming in. As we aren't Aston Villa, FFP will apply to us. Far better that we keep proven PL quality like Neves and Neto at the club than MGW.

Last edited:

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our achievement was arguably the greatest by a newly promoted club in the entirety of this century, after 2001 Ipswich, yet it has been memory holed in short order by the plurality of sports media. I won't lie - the way they fawned over Leeds' midtable place finish, and how Bielsa somehow wended his way onto the Manager of the Season shortlist when Nuno was snubbed, really bothered me. Perhaps they view us as some corrupted puppet of the wicked super agent, and that what we achieved somehow doesn't count?
I totally agree with your sentiment and think that it is all down to style of play. Bielsa ball fast furious fit and score both ends or Nuno ball shrewd counter stacking and start from a sound defence, especially the first year back.
We are I hope, morphing yo a bit more of an attacking style. Sure, it will cost us some goals and a few points but we will also surprise a few teams with our attacking intent, especially some of the big guns who won’t expect us to go at them. I believe that Bruno is a naturally attacking manager regardless of who his teams play and he has been forced into a half way hybrid for the past year. Now it’s his squad, his system and he will live or die by the results he achieves

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I explain quite clearly.

That’s just a bit stupid and deliberately negative tbh.

We’ve sold him - he’s not chosen to leave, he was under contract and we’ve decided £45m is too good to turn down. And realistically, it didn’t matter which club he moved to, any club offering crazy money like that would have been accepted.

You just like slagging the club and it’s players at every opportunity.

modenawolf

Reaction score
Now confirmed by Wolves on official site:

Interesting that there's no comment from Sellars again, especially as he'll have overseen a lot of MGW's development...

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has alot of potential and I can understand the price tag so I don't view it as crazy money.
Jota was different as he wasn't playing for us at the time but we all knew he was a natural goal scorer on his day.
Liverpool have improved him since but he still remains injury prone.
I think the club did all they could to keep MGW. Be interested to see how Forest utilise him and how he progresses.
Jota improved because he left us to play with more world class players under an elite coach.

Morgan has made a very stupid move for his career in the long run.

He was better here with neves, nunes, moutinho, Neto, guedes and podence than he is with forest as their squad while new and expensive doesn’t have the fraction of international quality players to learn from.

Yeah he is working with the manager of his dreams, but forest will go down if Henderson doesn’t continue his heroics in goal…… just like Sheffield United, he is a keeper who can keep a side up regardless of the quality of those infront of him.

Badly advised and I am glad we got a sum
Of money that is frankly too much for a player with no track record behind him.

Back
Top Bottom