Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Morgan Gibbs-White

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I buy into the “wolves, only wolves” philosophy. The Portuguese guys seem a great bunch of lads who represent the club well on and off the pitch. No drunken falling out of pubs or breaking covid rules etc.

As an aside if we end up with 5-6 players in the Portuguese squad I’ll take more interest in them at the World Cup than waistcoat and his bunch

Geuinely giving some serious thought to getting a Portugal top for the World Cup. But then, I am technically Jockanese anyway.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't really understand why the player being English helps you enjoy it?

The player being a local lad, sure - that has an extra emotional attachment. But say Coady and Ruddy - are they any more "Wolves" than Neves or Raul?

Not like Morgan was ever a Wolves fan either, sure nice to see local lad done good but I think Neves and Raul have embraced the club as much even though they weren't born here.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

He'll end up a good player, but this is a terrific deal and one we have to take. Seems like there are easy to achieve addons and basically ones that aren't worth the paper they are written on. But even if it is £35M+ it works.
I was pretty confident he was always going, we weren't going to have a net spend of like £100M.

IMO we don't need to replace him directly, just get a proper CF in.
Podence/Hwang/Neto/Guedes with Adama as a wildcard is more than enough.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neto goes out quite a lot, in London when he gets spare time with Jordao.

Good for him. I'm not criticising those choices at all.

Just suggesting that maybe Forest might have an environment that Gibbs-White fits into more than here. Similar to how he seemed to fit into the environment more at Sheffield United.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Geuinely giving some serious thought to getting a Portugal top for the World Cup. But then, I am technically Jockanese anyway.
I've been a Portugal "fan" since the FOSUN takeover and have much more of an interest in how they do compared to England (who I couldn't give a **** about)

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just read that Des Lyttle coached Gibbs-White when he was at Thomas Telford.

Wonder if he helped persuade him to join Forest?!

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Good for him. I'm not criticising those choices at all.

Just suggesting that maybe Forest might have an environment that Gibbs-White fits into more than here. Similar to how he seemed to fit into the environment more at Sheffield United.
Yeah, I think he is extremely hard working and fits in with the squad very well.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Real shame to see MGW go but, similar to Coady, we can't give him what he needs and he can't give us what we need, so it's better for all parties to move on. Forest have a good player who might hold down a regular place in a team fighting relegation, we've got the money to sign a centre forward. Everyone wins, but mostly Wolves!
16 new players they’ve signed now, according to the BBC. Going to be a challenge for Cooper !

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ah but how much is it ?-flat fee is £25 million plus £17 million add ons -some of which it is said won’t be paid .Smoke and mirrors -so many transfers .

Whereas Nunes is £38 million plus £7 million add ons .

What are the add ons -that’s the key
I fior one will be delighted if we have to pay Sporting all of the add ons!
As for MGW I'd like him to have stayed and signed a new contract but if its not going to happen then that is too much to turn down especially as its being said that £7-10 million is very achievable.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I don't really like Portugal because of how boring the style of football is for the astonishing level of talent they have. People talk about England being negative under Southgate fairly but Portugal are so dour and boring (see their Euro win).

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've been a Portugal "fan" since the FOSUN takeover and have much more of an interest in how they do compared to England (who I couldn't give a **** about)
I made my peace with England years ago. Whilst the wolves have given me incredible highs and incredible lows in my lifetime, England have consistently flattered to deceive. I sat there watching the Euros final with my pals who all looked a nervous wreck, England just don’t give me those “feels” at all

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Ah but how much is it ?-flat fee is £25 million plus £17 million add ons -some of which it is said won’t be paid .Smoke and mirrors -so many transfers .

Whereas Nunes is £38 million plus £7 million add ons .

What are the add ons -that’s the key
Nunes add ons are for champions league qualification, so we are just as cheeky as forrest with the never achievable add ons

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not like Morgan was ever a Wolves fan either, sure nice to see local lad done good but I think Neves and Raul have embraced the club as much even though they weren't born here.

He wasn't? Sell him even faster then!

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't really like Portugal because of how boring the style of football is for the astonishing level of talent they have. People talk about England being negative under Southgate fairly but Portugal are so dour and boring (see their Euro win).
Yeah but we have a bit more “buy in” with a host of current and ex players in there. I’d be happier seeing Neves score the winner in a final than Harry Kane.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Unfortunately they have a negative coach kept out of good will from wins in the euros and nations league. Most Portuguese fans want a more attacking philosophy.

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sad to see he’s not had a chance to see if he could replicate the Sheff Utd form but it’s insane money.

I only hope that we can spend on a striker before the window closes, otherwise it’s going to look like the cash has gone straight on the Nunes deal.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He wasn't? Sell him even faster then!

Nope boyhood united fan like a lot of gloryhunting kids of that generation and older. Less so now I'd imagine with our rise and united decline.

Not that I'm saying I'll only support the local lads who are one of us but I don't think being local makes him automatically more one of us than foreign players.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, perhaps.

I had a few doubts about his story to be honest. For instance, if he found out the day before Liverpool which he claimed, did he not find it odd he was playing against Norwich the week before? To me, and I presume most, that was him having a send-off otherwise why had we dropped our POTY for a game that ultimately cost us £5-6m in prize money?

Probably for another thread.

Either way, I certainly appreciate what Ruddy and obviously more so Coady did for the club but they didn't leave in great ways IMO.

MGW is far, far worse for me. He has engineered this and got his wish.
Christ this has to stop, I’m agreeing with you twice in one day!

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
16 new players they’ve signed now, according to the BBC. Going to be a challenge for Cooper !
But how many have they lost? They had loads (a dozen??) on loan/ending contracts … I’m sure I read somewhere that they’ve lost about 10 or 11 meaning they’ve only added about 5 (numerically).

They do have a lot of “meshing together” to do though.

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The only teams that I can remember buying essentially a whole new squad in the summer window were Fulham and also Sunderland under Steve Bruce.

Both were relegated.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But how many have they lost? They had loads (a dozen??) on loan/ending contracts … I’m sure I read somewhere that they’ve lost about 10 or 11 meaning they’ve only added about 5 (numerically).

Yeah they had to add for sure and have brought some players of a reasonable quality. It's just the getting them all to play together without those existing links Villa did similar but still had more existing players plus greasy Jack and *just* stayed up and we know how fulham did. So forest really are relying on Cooper to be able to bring them all together.

We really did have it ideal by having the likes of Coady, Boly, Doherty, Neves, Jota as a consistent spine and then upgrading fantastically in some key areas.

The Pie Poker

Reaction score
Absolutely.

Take this comment from a John Percy article....

View attachment 29673
Now contrast that to a player like Gibbs-White.

I don't think for one minute that Gibbs-White is a troublemaker, but he's a different character, with a different lifestyle and different priorities to most of our squad.

No doubt he will be making TikToks with Jesse Lingard in no time! :tonguewink:

It's not his lifestyle, it's his culture, he's English. I'm sitting in the pub with a beer as I type this, no Portuguese in here.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Forest's problem, funnily enough, is that they've got too many good/similar players.

Lingard, MGW, Johnson. All three will expect to start. One won't. Or if they all play together, they're risking no natural striker.
Awoniyi and Dennis bought for significant fees. One likely to be fifth choice attacker and whilst Awoniyi looks the worst by far, he's the only one who has the physical strength to play with his back to goal.

Worth noting Watford players apparently celebrated when Dennis left and he's seen as a real troublemaker in the dressing room.

In midfield it's the same.

Freuler has to play really, that takes one place. You then have Mangala (£15m), O'Brien (£12m), Kouyate and Yates, the latter of which who was instrumental in promotion. Potentially Garner as well!

I don't think they've signed badly, in fact most look good players but he's not going to settle on his best team for some time and when he does, he's going to be leaving out players who were bought for a decent sum and presumably expected to play.

Going to be hard for Cooper, although I do think they have enough to stay up.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Forest's problem, funnily enough, is that they've got too many good/similar players.

Lingard, MGW, Johnson. All three will expect to start. One won't. Or if they all play together, they're risking no natural striker.
Awoniyi and Dennis bought for significant fees. One likely to be fifth choice attacker and whilst Awoniyi looks the worst by far, he's the only one who has the physical strength to play with his back to goal.

Worth noting Watford players apparently celebrated when Dennis left and he's seen as a real troublemaker in the dressing room.

In midfield it's the same.

Freuler has to play really, that takes one place. You then have Mangala (£15m), O'Brien (£12m), Kouyate and Yates, the latter of which who was instrumental in promotion. Potentially Garner as well!

I don't think they've signed badly, in fact most look good players but he's not going to settle on his best team for some time and when he does, he's going to be leaving out players who were bought for a decent sum and presumably expected to play.

Going to be hard for Cooper, although I do think they have enough to stay up.
They've had chaotically large squads with huge player turnover ever since Marinakis took over, and actually have it more under control now than they did before. In 2019/20 there were 49 players who made an appearance for them, then it was 48 the season after and 46 last. They sign far too many players on far too high wages and would have been a complete basket case if they hadn't lucked upon one of England's best managers last season. I think they'll still struggle in the medium to long-term.

By way of example, 32 year-old Harry Arter's been there since 2020 on supposedly huge wages. He's made 13 appearances, been largely terrible, but by virtue of their promotion got a pay rise and a contract extension.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I understand your point but I presume the issue is the idea that the foreign players don't care.

However, in our case, the foreign players maybe care more!!

Ruddy left and had a pop at the board. Coady left and mentioned 100x how desperate he was to go because he was dropped for one game and MGW had no intention of signing a new deal.

On the other hand, Neves was virtually in tears when he thought he was leaving. Even Jota didn't kick up a fuss and spoke well after he went.

It's natural to think English/local players care more because they know more about the club and even if they aren't fans grow up knowing the size/history etc.

All I care about is having players who are committed and pleased to play for Wolves when they do - and I think we've got that right now.

I can't believe the reaction to MGW to be honest on here. He's turned down a contract, had no intention of signing and has pushed to go to a club who are at best our equals. I presume it's down to the happiness of signing Nunes that he's not getting more stick.

But, point is, we don't want people like that at the club, whether they're from Stafford or Lisbon.
I really don't see how he's pushed for the move. The guy wants to play games. He isn't good enough for where we want to be. We've done a fantastic job playing him to drum up interest, but really we need better performances than the ones we got from him the first two games this year.
Forest have totally overpaid. It is quite hilarious.
Compare his value to Neves(who incidentally has still not signed a contract, despite being given the captaincy. Is he also pushing for a move?) or nunes it's insane.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I actually wanted Sheff Utd to win the playoffs, as I thought that was our best chance of getting 20 mill for him.

Shows again how I know the square root of bugger all.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An open goal from 2 yards out.
Beller can you tell me that he is the first player ever to have missed an open goal? Can you tell me that Raul has not? Can you tell me that even the best and experienced strikers have never missed an open goal?

Woody

Groupie
Reaction score
Absolutely.

Take this comment from a John Percy article....

View attachment 29673
Now contrast that to a player like Gibbs-White.

I don't think for one minute that Gibbs-White is a troublemaker, but he's a different character, with a different lifestyle and different priorities to most of our squad.

No doubt he will be making TikToks with Jesse Lingard in no time! :tonguewink:
I visited the training ground on business not long after we'd signed Neves.
At lunchtime I was outside talking to a couple of guys when I saw someone walking up the long driveway loaded down with 2 carrier bags full of shopping. It was Neves. He'd walked to a local shop to do some shopping in his lunch break.
Tells you all you need to know about just how grounded some of our star players are.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be honest I thought he would go when i saw that video with Bruno explaining something to him, I'm not sure there was the right chemistry and a bit of language barrier. It's a crying shame, I real real shame because not only he is one of our own but more importantly I think he is about to blossom in the PL. I guess that will now be under his old boss, which in some ways you can understand the kid wanting. It is what is, we are portuhampton and thats hopefully the right way for us. We are still going to need that final piece of the jigsaw as we have just lost another 10 goals IMO.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I read that of their play-off winning eleven (team) 5 were loanees who returned to their clubs and the keeper refused a new contract and went off to France. Continuity there isn't...

Woolywolf

Reaction score
I know it’s good money, especially with only two years left on his deal ,but I’m actually gutted. I’m convinced he will become a top player and that our new formation was going to be the making of him.
In my mind we need to replace him. We’re not short of options for front three , but we do need options for the no 10. Nunes isn’t that player. Don’t see Podence being the only option there

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I buy into the “wolves, only wolves” philosophy. The Portuguese guys seem a great bunch of lads who represent the club well on and off the pitch. No drunken falling out of pubs or breaking covid rules etc.

As an aside if we end up with 5-6 players in the Portuguese squad I’ll take more interest in them at the World Cup than waistcoat and his bunch
Fully agree with all of that.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I also assume that this also puts any potential Neto sale to bed?

Which is good news from Jeff's point of view,given my 5 year old lad is swanning around with a new Neto top and his temper is shorter than our odds of signing Ramos.
Neto isn't going anywhere. RAN the most likely sale if anyone is to go, but not expected.

Back
Top Bottom