Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Morgan Gibbs-White

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Forest would be mad to sign him without wanting him as a nailed on starter. Unless it's the chairman playing football manager which can't totally be ruled outside considering who he is.
Why would they?

There’s five subs and apart from us most clubs go for depth! Plus MGW can be viewed as a long term investment due to his age.

As I said he would undoubtedly feature every game for them and would back himself to get in the XI quickly but he would, in my opinion, start every game here.

If he moves to Forest game time cannot be accepted as a valid reason.

He’s got no more chance of becoming a key player there than he has here.

Have a read on the Forest forum, some are wondering whether he’s been signed to play CM such are their options, which obviously isn’t going to happen!

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only way I'd want us to sell him is if it was £30M plus a hefty sell on fee (around 20%). I'm convinced that he's going to be excellent this season and let's be honest, if that's the case, there's no way he staying at Forest. I could see him going to somewhere like Arsenal or Spurs for big money.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
30M is only a lot because his contract expires in 2 years.
He's 22 and seems to develop fast now. In 3 years, his value will be twice that, probably being an England international and a well established PL player by then.
I understand the need to cash in, if he wouldnt renew, but otherwise it doesnt make sense. 30M is nothing compared to what he will be worth.
Again, how much do you think he'll be worth? 50 million? 60 million? 100 million?
One of the best in the world? What do you think we are letting go here?

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Interesting that Cooper was having a little moan about the amount of players Forest have brought in (12 so far). He’d have preferred a few additions to the Championship squad.
It's going to be really interesting to see how Cooper does. I know he has a good reputation from his England coaching and also the general consensus that he did a good job at Swansea with limited resources. However, even though he got them to the playoffs, the Swansea fans were glad to see the back of him as the football was pretty dire and uninspiring. I know it's hard to believe this now, but they really were glad to see him leave. They went down the table the next season so it may be a case of 'be careful what you wish for.'

Regardless, he is used to working with young British players on a limited budget (or just by nationality with England), maybe not so much experience of recruiting a squad from all over the world and getting them to gel and play coherently. If he hasn't had much of an influence in the recruitment that might be a worry.

Also, a colleague of mine was a top researcher into the effect of home advantage in sports performance, and was the first person to think of, and seriously investigate, the role of testosterone in HA. The basic premise is that when teams play at home on their patch, their testosterone rises and performance increases. It was based on the principle that animals protecting their home territory have rises in testosterone that allow them to fight and compete better than their opponent. The research has shown that when you bring in a load of new players who have no previous affiliation to the stadium, club, or area, it takes a long time for this increase in testosterone to kick in as they don't perceive it as their home territory for quite a well. Could be a problem for a team like Forest with so many new players in one of the most competitive leagues in the world and in which small margins are very important.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Assuming we bring in a central midfielder and a striker (I know, but the club have said they are trying).

I think Gibbs-White’s place in the squad then comes down to Traore.

I don’t think Bruno sees MGW as a midfield option, even in a 3. He’s perhaps too forward thinking. He’s been almost exclusively used as a right sided attacker in pre-season.

It looks like 433 is the preference, so 3 spots for forward players.

When all fit, it’s likely we have….

Jimenez, Neto, Podence and Hwang, plus a new striker, plus one of Traore or Gibbs-White.

6 for 3 positions is a lot. 7 would be far too much.

Out of all those, Jimenez, Neto, Traore would probably be the preferred 3 if Traore stays. It would probably be Jimenez, Neto, Podence if Traore leaves.

So take the short-term out of the equation and Gibbs-White has a lot to do to force his way in as a starter here when everyone is fit. That’s even before anyone new comes along.

And no one knows what Traore wants either!!!
This is similar to what I'm thinking. If we play a front three, MGW is in a scrap for the final forward spot because we'll play a striker (when we have one!) and Neto is the first pick of the support cast. I'd like to see him have a go for us, but it's far from inconceivable that he could struggle for half a dozen games and then spend a big chunk of his time kicking his heels on the bench.

The numbers being touted are a lot to turn down

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's going to be really interesting to see how Cooper does. I know he has a good reputation from his England coaching and also the general consensus that he did a good job at Swansea with limited resources. However, even though he got them to the playoffs, the Swansea fans were glad to see the back of him as the football was pretty dire and uninspiring. I know it's hard to believe this now, but they really were glad to see him leave. They went down the table the next season so it may be a case of 'be careful what you wish for.'

Regardless, he is used to working with young British players on a limited budget (or just by nationality with England), maybe not so much experience of recruiting a squad from all over the world and getting them to gel and play coherently. If he hasn't had much of an influence in the recruitment that might be a worry.

Also, a colleague of mine was a top researcher into the effect of home advantage in sports performance, and was the first person to think of, and seriously investigate, the role of testosterone in HA. The basic premise is that when teams play at home on their patch, their testosterone rises and performance increases. It was based on the principle that animals protecting their home territory have rises in testosterone that allow them to fight and compete better than their opponent. The research has shown that when you bring in a load of new players who have no previous affiliation to the stadium, club, or area, it takes a long time for this increase in testosterone to kick in as they don't perceive it as their home territory for quite a well. Could be a problem for a team like Forest with so many new players in one of the most competitive leagues in the world and in which small margins are very important.
Yeah Cooper managed to create this image as a fantastic attacking modern coach when it’s not true at all.

Funnily enough, that’s why I think they’ll do well next season (10th-15th). They’ll be hard to break down with a back three/five and excellent on the break with the players they’ve got.

I think they’ll be a poorer version of our Nuno team that went up and play in a similar way.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This thread sums up the modern football fan for me...

With very little evidence, most are nailing their colours to the mast.

MGW is still unproven in the PL, £30M+ is a good deal - the timing sucks. If he won't sign a new contract, we'd have to sell though, preferably with a replacement coming in straight away.

Personally I'd like to see him given the chance here but that's still a gamble.

None of us can predict the future. All we can do is pick a side and shout about it - some will be proven right and laud it over us saying "I told you so" when in reality they guessed right and nothing more.

As usual I'll sit on the fence unless I can form an opinion based on facts and not gut feeling or guesswork.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't say one way or another if I would sell or not simply because I don't know what Jeff knows. What's the deal on offer for MGW, and more to the point who do the recruitment team (or uncle Gorge) think they can get as a replacement?

Every season in every league there is always a player or two that have a massive breakout season and their value rises. May be the MGW money can be used to find those under the radar talents before their value rises.

Look at MGW, if anyone had offered £6m+ for him a month before he went to Sheffield on loan 90% of people on here would have taken the money.

Across the football World there must be a couple of dozen future MGW's waiting for their breakout year. Use the MGW money to get three or four of them in and it's a good deal - you just have to believe in your recruitment team.

I always want an home grown lad to do well, but when the fee is pushing £30m and more, that is starting to get to fund three very promising alternatives.
100% we don’t know what Jeff knows.

Sell MGW, Traore and Coady and have £60m to spend or sell Neves and have £60m to spend (for example could be his debate). Likely to be lots of spinning plates and some fall before we can get back to them.

Every player has a price we’d sell at (as do every football club).

Fans are rightly worried about the replacements/lack of and spending of the money.

The reality is 1st September we’ll know until then head down and enjoy the ride. No point stressing.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Actually it is….. based on what I have heard this is what is said about some owners in the league by other clubs:

The glazers are roundly mocked for their Man Utd on the pitch work, but the other owners do listen when they talk about the branding and marketablity and how they do so well in commercial arrangements as Man Utd have done massive deals and create new sponsorship opportunities that others hadn’t though of before and copied for example they have a sponsor for their training ground bottles…..

there is a massive amount of respect for Stavely at Newcastle even if the other owners aren’t happy about their financial over lords.
What owners and who collated the information? How would a poll of boardroom opinions about Jeff even be collated?
In fact, why would any owner mock Fosun and Jeff? Perennial Championship club establishing themselves in the Premier League. Yeah, that’s really worth football boardrooms across the country, to be laughing and mocking.
Sounds like you’ve taken pure speculation and bull**** and made it fact.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I want this to be put to bed asap tbh, if we reject the next bid which is suppose to be over 30m just tell them its a definitive no.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What owners and who collated the information? How would a poll of boardroom opinions about Jeff even be collated?
In fact, why would any owner mock Fosun and Jeff? Perennial Championship club establishing themselves in the Premier League. Yeah, that’s really worth football boardrooms across the country, to be laughing and mocking.
Sounds like you’ve taken pure speculation and bull**** and made it fact.
No, I have been told this by mates and connections I have who work at different levels from physios up to commercial leaders at 6 different premier league clubs first hand…. These are based on conversations and emails they have seen and had with people who have interacted with Jeff and his team when they have had “review” and planning strategy to engage with us about enquiring about one of our players.

One big London club are very interested in neves and are miffed and put off that the fee for him is higher than the Jota fee to Liverpool and it is that deal that is stopping people coming in for him now as they feel we are over pricing neves.

So I would say it is fairly accurate and I have a few stories and incidents i cannot share because I could cost people I like and care about their jobs.

luiandlui

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’d happily let him go for 30m and let him drop down to the championship which will be his natural level long term

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has scored 7 goals in about 18 games worth of minutes last season. Hardly proven himself has he?
Come on now… you know damn well that’s not how things work judging players!

Fwiw I’m not hell bent on Ramos either, I’d probably rather get somebody in the midfield for that money and get somebody in short term and a LTB for the forward position.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes "we've" spoken to his old man....
Thank Christ!!!!!!

Morgan looked really happy in the training videos and in pre-season and I hope even if the club agree a sale he chooses to stay which was always a real possibility that does happen.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't really get why people are so obsessed with Ramos tbh. Only year younger than MGW and average numbers in a league that apart from the top teams is similar in quality to the championship.
He has a fancy name. That's it.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

MGW is still unproven in the PL, £30M+ is a good deal - the timing sucks. If he won't sign a new contract, we'd have to sell though, preferably with a replacement coming in straight away.

None of us can predict the future. All we can do is pick a side and shout about it - some will be proven right and laud it over us saying "I told you so" when in reality they guessed right and nothing more.

As usual I'll sit on the fence unless I can form an opinion based on facts and not gut feeling or guesswork.
It sums up the modern fan that we would rather see a talented player actually play for us rather than cash in and watch him flourish for another team.

Come again.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I don't see that amount of money as a good deal in today's market.Your right no one can predict future but I like the club at least see how he go's until next transfer window.

T

TheConcourse

Christ, we aren’t seriously talking about Traore again.

Our options are dreadful. Even with MGW you’d argue that our injury records with Neto and Podence are so bad that you’d want a quality back up.

We’ve got Hwang and Traore. Hwang can’t control a football and Traore doesn’t want to be here.

Absolutely mind blowing the imbalance in this squad and such a lack of uncertainty a day before the season.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah sounds like for sure Forest are playing the media to see if that pressures us into a deal. Doesn't mean we won't sell but I don't think its the near certainty yet the forest press are saying. If course knowing my luck he will be announced as a Forest player at 5pm.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After 3,394 posts I have formed this opinion on the MGW situation - what will be will be.
suoswgx53kt01.jpg

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So much bull**** on here.

Not going anywhere and that's from his father!!!

Even if your source is legitimate I don’t think it’s his decision. If Forest meet Wolves valuation then he’s off, simple as that. Sure he might say he’s happy to stay, but that doesn’t mean he won’t be sold.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even if your source is legitimate I don’t think it’s his decision. If Forest meet Wolves valuation then he’s off, simple as that. Sure he might say he’s happy to stay, but that doesn’t mean he won’t be sold.
Player can reject the move

W

WasStefan

But if there is to be trust between manager and club, Shi has to respect Bruno’s wishes. It’s absolutely clear he wants MGW to stay.

If this is true and MGWs dad says it’s rubbish then it’s obvious MGW is very happy to stay.

Therefore if MGW ends up going it tells us a lot about Wolves mgmt and specifically Shi.

If they sell him under his nose i would not forgive them, and if i was Bruno i’d walk. It’s not even abour MGW, it’s the time of the sale and the manner that it would have happened.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last I heard,he wanted to stay but that was a week or so ago and things change. If Forest offer 30m upfront and a big sell on etc could be hard to turn it down.

Just hope we get a replacement in that's actually decent. Not just go **** it Adama and Podence will do

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hope he stays and we see what he can or can't do. No one knows how he'll perform so let's perhaps stop with the england vs championship predictions!

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It sums up the modern fan that we would rather see a talented player actually play for us rather than cash in and watch him flourish for another team.

Come again.
I was referring to the bi-polarity of the oh so sure predictions on both sides of the sell him/keep him divide.

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let’s wait and see how it pans out, we should have a good idea if he lines up tomorrow or not.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't see that amount of money as a good deal in today's market.Your right no one can predict future but I like the club at least see how he go's until next transfer window.
Based on your perception of how well you think he'll do?

Because it seems a fair price for someone unproven at PL level.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Assuming we bring in a central midfielder and a striker (I know, but the club have said they are trying).

I think Gibbs-White’s place in the squad then comes down to Traore.

I don’t think Bruno sees MGW as a midfield option, even in a 3. He’s perhaps too forward thinking. He’s been almost exclusively used as a right sided attacker in pre-season.

It looks like 433 is the preference, so 3 spots for forward players.

When all fit, it’s likely we have….

Jimenez, Neto, Podence and Hwang, plus a new striker, plus one of Traore or Gibbs-White.

6 for 3 positions is a lot. 7 would be far too much.

Out of all those, Jimenez, Neto, Traore would probably be the preferred 3 if Traore stays. It would probably be Jimenez, Neto, Podence if Traore leaves.

So take the short-term out of the equation and Gibbs-White has a lot to do to force his way in as a starter here when everyone is fit. That’s even before anyone new comes along.

And no one knows what Traore wants either!!!
I don’t see Traore as anything but an impact sub, even if he stays, and Hwang is probably another sub/ back up.
If Raul plays then we have Neto, Podence and MGW trying to play in 2 spots (assuming 4-3-3) and with Podence’s injury record and Neto just coming back from a long and serious knee injury I would suggest that MGW will get plenty of starts.
And if we play 4-2-3-1 then MGW definitely plays.

Back
Top Bottom