Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Without a recognised striker on Saturday what will be our plan B if Leeds score first?

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only if he’s entirely mercenary and happy to a club that isn’t interested in moving up the table. Playing with Neves would be more compelling than an extra few hundred grand signing on fee?

I hate to break it to you, but money plays a large part in why any footballer plays for the club they do. And we could afford to give him a lot more than an extra few hundred K, in that situation.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course, Wolves could just ignore the uUEFA rules and just follow the Premier's own, much looser restrictions. These allow for a £35 million loss per year, and no specification on wage cap limits as % of turnover. Arguably Newcastle are doing something in this vein. (which throws open the possibility that the Saudis may have to confront the UEFA's monopolistic regulations if they were to qualify for Europe).

Wolves, however, have already been sanctioned once for breaching UEFA's rules and could face elimination if it happens again. Furthermore, selling the club has included the prospect of European qualification in recent years. And the club becomes notably less attractive to top players without that carrot.
I would like us to be in the position where we have to think about UEFA again. With this squad at the moment there is little danger of us troubling their accounting dept.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Neves does go I can see Donk dropping into a deeper midfield role and us trying to bring in two more attacking midfielders. It would be unbelievably bad timing and given recent windows I would have no faith we’d achieve two and we’d try and limp through to January happy to have sold Neves for top dollar.

One of our biggest issues is we are nowhere near such an attractive option as when we brought most of our squad. Anyone thinking we’ll be pushing for 7th is wildly optimistic to the point of madness in my view and potential signings know it too. Add in that we are not big payers, the West Midlands is not a particularly attractive area to many young footballers and their partners and you need really good people to scout and negotiate to find and bring in players. We seem a million miles from that, hopefully they can prove me wrong but I won’t hold my breath. I can see a winter of discontent looming.

Himleywolf

Reaction score
Why?

Because it’s a very prudent business decision and makes financial sense.

In the world of football, where finances are out of control and prudent business decisions are rarely made, it’s actually quite refreshing.

Yes, like most Wolves fans, I’d love us to be in a position like Newcastle, without the need to be prudent. Or City, who have the turnover to back up their unconstrained spending too!

But we’re not in that position. Everton should show people that being frivolous doesn’t work. Trying to compete with the biggest spenders by following the same business model is doomed to fail.

Leicester too have got to a position where they’ve maxed out on squad numbers and wages, to the point where they are forced to sell before they buy, rather than it being a business decision.

All those clubs should prove to people why choosing to operate like we are makes sense longer term, especially with the cap on spending and wages that’s coming (clubs capped to 90% of turnover on wages and transfer fees this season, 80% next season, then down to 70% the year after). We are already at 72% of turnover just on wages.

Add in the risk that at any point, China could pull the plug. A risk that I don’t think will happen, but is there. It makes even more sense for us not to be reliant on Fosun underwriting our debt or pumping money in just so we can operate on a day to day basis.

It all makes sense. It will give us the upper hand on similar sized clubs in time. People just need some patience!
Very well said.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Leeds do go ahead I can see Shi coming off the bench. He is a generational talent .

At the moment the project feels more like the wheels are coming off or we bailing out water after hitting the rocks .

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This summer I've made the leap from checking transfer threads every hour, to maybe once a day. Sometimes I even forget to do that. I can't think of any other club in the premier league (or many below that) that would be happy to go into a new season without one fit recognised first team striker. With Wolves I can't even say I'm all that surprised really. Yet we hardly scored goals for fun last season as it was.

I know signing quality players is tough and takes time, so if in a week or so we get a couple of razzle dazzle signings then fantastic- we can perhaps say it all made sense - but I have to say I'm feeling pretty sceptical about that at present. It all just feels really complacent again to me.

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This summer I've made the leap from checking transfer threads every hour, to maybe once a day. Sometimes I even forget to do that. I can't think of any other club in the premier league (or many below that) that would be happy to go into a new season without one fit recognised first team striker. With Wolves I can't even say I'm all that surprised really. Yet we hardly scored goals for fun last season as it was.

I know signing quality players is tough and takes time, so if in a week or so we get a couple of razzle dazzle signings then fantastic- we can perhaps say it all made sense - but I have to say I'm feeling pretty sceptical about that at present. It all just feels really complacent again to me.
I wish I had this level of self control. I am slowly losing hope of some additions (even 3-5M types) but can’t seem to stop checking here and twitter every few minutes.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know im just repeating myself but I'm still scratching my head and in total shock how anyone at the club thought sending out Fabio Silva on loan without a replacement was anything close to being the right thing to do!!??

What on earth is going on.....

If a decent replacement isn't brought in soon then sorry Sellars should be shown the door!

Last edited:

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hate to break it to you, but money plays a large part in why any footballer plays for the club they do. And we could afford to give him a lot more than an extra few hundred K, in that situation.
Do you take lessons in condescending writing? ‘I hate to break it to you’ - Jesus Christ.

My point (which you’ve intentionally missed) is that money isn’t the ONLY reason players move. Neves & Jota didn’t come here for money they came to be part of a project. If Nunes isn’t convinced to move here now, then selling Neves and offering a bit more cash shouldn’t entice him…. and if it does we should steer well clear.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wish I had this level of self control. I am slowly losing hope of some additions (even 3-5M types) but can’t seem to stop checking here and twitter every few minutes.
At the start of the summer I was quite optimistic. Really thought we'd bring in 4/5 good signings and push the boat out a bit after last summer and that disappointing end to the season. From here, I still wouldn't be shocked to see us bring in a couple, but neither would I be shocked to see us bring in nobody else at all tbh. I guess checking for transfer updates/news on Wolves right now feels pretty dull and pointless. Hoping to end up pleasantly surprised.

One day we will eventually buy a first team ready CM and I will probably pass out with shock

Last edited:

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just to recap, this squad failed to beat Norwich and Burnley last season, failed to score in 17 games, lost 9 times on their own pitch, including being doubled by the mighty Palace, annihilated at home by mid table Brighton, took one point off Leeds who leak like a sieve and managed to capitulate from a possible European challenge to mid table mediocrity. We have shown a number the door , quite rightly but we have been very slow in getting acquisitions through the door. Just as an example , newly promoted Forest have signed 12 players including one of Englands best goalkeepers. We have bought a promising centre half from a relegated club. Its no longer pant wetting , it is a real concern.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just to recap, this squad failed to beat Norwich and Burnley last season, failed to score in 17 games, lost 9 times on their own pitch, including being doubled by the mighty Palace, annihilated at home by mid table Brighton, took one point off Leeds who leak like a sieve and managed to capitulate from a possible European challenge to mid table mediocrity. We have shown a number the door , quite rightly but we have been very slow in getting acquisitions through the door. Just as an example , newly promoted Forest have signed 12 players including one of Englands best goalkeepers. We have bought a promising centre half from a relegated club. Its no longer pant wetting , it is a real concern.
Its not the same squad though, its concerning but not to this level.
You are as only as good as the games in front of you we arent in the past, it can be used as an idea but cant predict the future.

If we are back 4 against leeds that straight away changes the narrative of last year. Would therefore defunct any data of the past as there are to many variables.

12 players is greats, they are rebuilding there entire team, thats a lot of disjointed players to get moulded into a team quickly, where as we as a core are definitely a team.

Forest havent lit anything up in preseason

Newcastle
West Ham
Everton
Tottenham
City

If they have got more than 6 to 9 points then fair play to them

We did not have Neto/Jonny fit and available at outset, nor did they have a chance to get a full preseason in.

Kilman - improved as a player
Ran - Improved as a player
Collins - Improvement

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I know im just repeating myself but I'm still scratching my head and in totally shock how anyone at the club thought sending out Fabio Silva on loan without a replacement was anything close to being the right thing to do!!??

What on earth is going on.....

If a decent replacement isn't brought in soon then sorry Sellars should be shown the door!
Not forgetting spending £35M on him in the first place

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One feels that should be the intro on all the other posts from the namby-pamby, belly-achers. It’d at least prevent me from reading the same old ****e, over and over and over and over and over…
You're deluding yourself if you think it's OK for a premier League club to not have a single fit striker for the start of the season. Time to wake up

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Its not the same squad though, its concerning but not to this level.
You are as only as good as the games in front of you we arent in the past, it can be used as an idea but cant predict the future.

If we are back 4 against leeds that straight away changes the narrative of last year. Would therefore defunct any data of the past as there are to many variables.

12 players is greats, they are rebuilding there entire team, thats a lot of disjointed players to get moulded into a team quickly, where as we as a core are definitely a team.

Forest havent lit anything up in preseason

Newcastle
West Ham
Everton
Tottenham
City

If they have got more than 6 to 9 points then fair play to them

We did not have Neto/Jonny fit and available at outset, nor did they have a chance to get a full preseason in.

Kilman - improved as a player
Ran - Improved as a player
Collins - Improvement
Accepted but still no fit striker

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just checked if there is any news on the old transfer front.

I can smell the wee through my phone :(

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you take lessons in condescending writing? ‘I hate to break it to you’ - Jesus Christ.

Some things are easy to look down on. Please note that this is a general point, aimed at an idea, rather than a personal insult directed at you, as I do not wish to offend your sensibilities.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Accepted but still no fit striker
Fully agree not saying its good, we need a striker id be one of the first at the door and should have been done while we were in spain, minimum, and have gone to portugal

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just had a random thought…..

If Neves goes, could Coady be his ideal replacement?

No longer needed in a back 4, decent tackler, great range of passing, ideal position for a talker like him.

Oh how our expectation have been lowered!!

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

My point (which you’ve intentionally missed) is that money isn’t the ONLY reason players move. Neves & Jota didn’t come here for money they came to be part of a project. If Nunes isn’t convinced to move here now, then selling Neves and offering a bit more cash shouldn’t entice him…. and if it does we should steer well clear.

Life's only motivators. Fear, greed and ego. Not in a negative way, but if you break everything down those things are at the heart of any decision. Fear is taken out of the equation somewhat for new recruits, but it does play a part in players staying and signing new deals (fear that the grass isn't greener, playing time, etc.). Most new signings will be about greed (higher wages) or ego (more chance of becoming a star).

I'd agree with you that Neves and Jota wasn't about money. They came here primarily for ego - to be part of a bigger project and potentially be lauded as club icons, as Neves now will be. Jota too to an extent. There were aspects of both ego and greed in Jota's move to Liverpool.

It's been mentioned a few times, but part of the issue we face now is in selling 'the project' to future recruits.

In The Championship, it was easy to an extent. Selling the dream of re-establishing one of England's founder league members, back to the higher echelons of the game. And selling that to a lower level of player than we are aiming for now was always going to be a lot easier, particularly with Jorge Mendes on side.

But what are we selling now? "You have the chance to join a sustainable Premier League outfit, who will pay you the going rate but probably no more, with maybe a 1 in 10 chance every season of qualifying for Europe!" When we are recruiting against the likes of Newcastle, who have a much better project/product to sell, it's always going to be tough.

There's nothing we can really say now that appeals to either the greed or the ego motivators, other than to give the example of playing time for younger players like Jota, Neves and Neto. Those are the sorts of players we need to be recruiting, but it's also why selling Jota and eventually Neves and Neto has to happen, as it shows that pathway to greatness for a youngster and ticks the ego motivator!

We are now at something called a ceiling of complexity. Where doing things the same way you've done to become successful will no longer yield the same results. Happens to people all the time, in that their knowledge, experience and qualifications only takes them so far, then you either settle at that level or learn something new. Happens to businesses/organisations too and that's where we've got to.

We've exhausted most of the Mendes stable for the level of player we need. The next level of player within the Gestifute stable are currently out of reach. So that supply line of young talent looking to make a name for themselves has dried up.

Back
Top Bottom