Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its not the same squad though, its concerning but not to this level.
You are as only as good as the games in front of you we arent in the past, it can be used as an idea but cant predict the future.

If we are back 4 against leeds that straight away changes the narrative of last year. Would therefore defunct any data of the past as there are to many variables.

12 players is greats, they are rebuilding there entire team, thats a lot of disjointed players to get moulded into a team quickly, where as we as a core are definitely a team.

Forest havent lit anything up in preseason

Newcastle
West Ham
Everton
Tottenham
City

If they have got more than 6 to 9 points then fair play to them

We did not have Neto/Jonny fit and available at outset, nor did they have a chance to get a full preseason in.

Kilman - improved as a player
Ran - Improved as a player
Collins - Improvement
I get all of that and your optimism but the elephant in the room is who scores the goals?
Coady , our third top scorer cant get a game.
Raul is injured.
Hwang hasnt scored since forever.
Our midfield dont score anywhere near enough.
We are pinning a lot on MGW, who hasnt scored many at this level.
Podence and Neto could manage a few , say 10 between them but we wont stay up with under 40 goals this season. We cant continue to rely on freak statistics. And, my point re forest is that we often hear "we cant force people to come to Wolverhampton" well they cant force people to come to Nottingham either and thats no better than Wolverhampton, yet 12 have decided they are a better option. Why? So we have a reputation now for being tight fisted? Just an open question. I have no idea.

Personally , I think Sellars and Shi decided that could "do this recruitment malarky" without Uncle George and Uncle George then stepped back. Now he has stepped back he has little need to step forward again.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't want or expect us to go out and spend ridiculous money on players, giving them huge contracts, etc.

I do expect us to have more than one striker, three central midfielders, and three fullbacks in the squad.

We kick off a Premier League campaign in a few days and we don't have a striker. Our backup central midfielder is a 24-year-old who has just returned from a loan at St Mirren.

Do we have valid reasons for not spending loads of money? Sure, I can accept that. Do we have valid reasons for allowing the squad to be in this state at the start of a Premier League season? Absolutely not. It is unacceptable.
That sums it up well

Johnny5

Reaction score
Wtf are we doing making enquiries for the first time about a player, 3 days before the season starts. Really poor stuff.

I genuinely believe players will only be brought in if players go out.
With all due respect mate, this is based on a story from the internet.
We don't know if this is remotely true.

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This year was “we need a refresh”
Last year was “trust us”
No interview with Bruno over all of pre season
A depleted squad last year, we have gotten rid of 6/7 first team squad players with only 1 incoming.
Fabio being moved on with out a replacement sorted
3 days away from Leeds and desperately need at least 3 for the first team let alone the squad but same “we will wait for the deal” **** constantly which generally means no one else is signing.
0 investment in 3/4 years

So you can understand completely why the fans are gathering and not happy. If you tell people you want to attack the top 7, then back it up with actions!!! if we can’t reach those levels then taper your expectations and go after a few decent signings.

It’s **** the way the footballing side is run and i feel sorry for Bruno who looks like he’s been silenced .

I’ve said the above so many times but I go back to the point, the season doesn’t start when the window closes September 1st it’s august 6th and we’ve all seen the “no rush” “wait for the deal” **** before and we will inevitably get let down again!!!!
Also to add if a (as in 1) deal goes to the end of the window then fine but not all of our business which is the ****e being sprouted every year from the club and why we don’t sign anyone because we have a menu pinchers from the top down

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will be interesting what Bruno Lage says about this summer and the complete lack of movement when he does his pre match press conference!

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yowch....that's a very chastening statistic to read.

How the hell did we finish top half last season???
Good question. My concern is Bruno.
We had Raul, Silva and Hwang last season as strikers……how did that work out?

Even if we get a decent striker and CM in, my worry is whether Bruno can get us more goals. Somehow we can’t create enough decent scoring chances.
Yes we have Neto and Podence back to full fitness and hopefully MGW will still be here but can Bruno‘s tactics inspire or mold them into an attacking force?
Hope so.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
three in for sesko, one of which is manure, two others my guess would be newcastle are one the last one is it us? who knows could be chelsea

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Even if we get a decent striker and CM in, my worry is whether Bruno can get us more goals. Somehow we can’t create enough decent scoring chances.
Yes we have Neto and Podence back to full fitness and hopefully MGW will still be here but can Bruno‘s tactics inspire or mold them into an attacking force?
Hope so.
He proved at Benfica he can create an attacking team! The problem isn't Bruno, it's the lack of backing he's receiving!

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Hope so.
Didn't his Benfica side break record for goalscoring?

I don't disagree with what you're saying in terms of us not creating scoring chances, but I put that down to the personnel.

Unfortunately we can't judge Saturday for the reason we all know.

If we have a team that consists of MGW, Podence, Neto & Jimenez and we can't create chances then questions do need to be put to the manager.

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
None of the forwards got many goals last season, hopefully the new formation will get more of a tune out of them. We do need a new attacker as well though.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
on another note, seems we must be "monitoring" the whole ****ing world of football, monitoring about 150 players, like a football manager shortlist.
It's 1:45am, we're still scanning the dance floor, ranking our possibles, then we blink and the house lights are on, the slow dances are finished and our "targets" are walking out the door on someone else's arm.....

R

reanswolf

This is what you get when you leave things so late. Other clubs increase their demands because they know clubs are getting desperate. No one wants to lose quality players at the point a new season starts.

Sorry but it is looking grim IMO, I have little faith I’m afraid and they really haven’t earn’t trust at all. At this point anyway.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get all of that and your optimism but the elephant in the room is who scores the goals?
Coady , our third top scorer cant get a game.
Raul is injured.
Hwang hasnt scored since forever.
Our midfield dont score anywhere near enough.
We are pinning a lot on MGW, who hasnt scored many at this level.
Podence and Neto could manage a few , say 10 between them but we wont stay up with under 40 goals this season. We cant continue to rely on freak statistics. And, my point re forest is that we often hear "we cant force people to come to Wolverhampton" well they cant force people to come to Nottingham either and thats no better than Wolverhampton, yet 12 have decided they are a better option. Why? So we have a reputation now for being tight fisted? Just an open question. I have no idea.

Personally , I think Sellars and Shi decided that could "do this recruitment malarky" without Uncle George and Uncle George then stepped back. Now he has stepped back he has little need to step forward again.
Tight fisted and boring.

D

Deleted member (smith)

Question….? why is Renato Sanches being sold for only 15 m euros?

Last edited by a moderator:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I don't disagree with what you're saying in terms of us not creating scoring chances, but I put that down to the personnel.

If we have a team that consists of MGW, Podence, Neto & Jimenez and we can't create chances then questions do need to be put to the manager.

Yes, fully fit Neto is a huge gain from last seasons opening matches. Raul will hopefully be even more recovered from his horror injury - and I still believe that, even at 80%, he is easily our best goal scorer.

Though support from midfield is lacking though. It's really common that most other teams have a midfielder who also gets to link play with the forwards. Where for us, when we are creating nothing, we generally have this pattern of 3 forwards up the pitch and the rest all sat back with this big gap in between. Pumping out the long balls for them to battle defenders for and even if they win out, they are pretty much on their own. It's a rare player who can work like that. (and we sold him to Liverpool).

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He proved at Benfica he can create an attacking team! The problem isn't Bruno, it's the lack of backing he's receiving!

First off…..I’m just saying I’m concerned about Bruno. Not saying I don’t have any confidence in him. But last season was dire. Week after week and showing no signs of learning from the previous week’s mistakes.

As for his record at Benfica…..great. But your only as good as your last game or coaching gig.
Plus Benfica weren’t in the PL.

Like I said…..even if we get two good players in, (and I think we will ), can Bruno turn us into an entertaining and attacking club. Will we feel by Xmas or mid Feb. that Europe is a good possibility the following season?

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First off…..I’m just saying I’m concerned about Bruno. Not saying I don’t have any confidence in him. But last season was dire. Week after week and showing no signs of learning from the previous week’s mistakes.

As for his record at Benfica…..great. But your only as good as your last game or coaching gig.

Like I said…..even if we get two good players in, (and I think we will ), can Bruno turn us into an entertaining and attacking club. Will we feel by Xmas or mid Feb. that Europe is a good possibility the following season?

It was no worse than the season before under Nuno when we were absolutely abhorrent for the entire season. Last season, for 2/3 of the season we were solid and even in European contention for much of it. You're in la la land if you think Bruno is the problem. The clowns above him giving him no support whatsoever are the problem! Since he's walked through the door he's had no support, yet somehow had us in a top 6 battle for much of the season until the latter third. The man deserves proper backing before he's even remotely judged. You're seriously saying players wouldn't join us because of Bruno? Do you know how silly that sounds? If players don't join us it's because of the club's total lack of ambition, not the head coach.

R

reanswolf

Last season was dire because the club would not bring in any players he wanted to make it more attacking.

Simple and as straightforward as that.

We still have the same issues. I am not saying he is a great manager but I feel so sorry for him. Well and truly let down, at least to this point.

Wolf in the sun

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's 1:45am, we're still scanning the dance floor, ranking our possibles, then we blink and the house lights are on, the slow dances are finished and our "targets" are walking out the door on someone else's arm.....
theres always one last chance in the chippy queue though....or the taxi rank if that doesnt work !!

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
Incredibly we’ve been linked with more players this summer than ever before. 46 players in total so far.

At this point in the window, it’s enormously frustrating that only one player has come into the squad.

Here’s the link to transfer window summary thread which is fully up-to date with all of the names. Link

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Fair point.

If we do get a progressive CM and a striker in then Bruno can have no excuses in terms of the style of play.

I won't judge him on Europe personally. That's the dream but realistically there are six teams that should always finish above us. West Ham & Aston Villa should rightly expect to finish above us, then we're in a group with Newcastle, Leicester (both of who probably expect to finish above us), Palace, Brighton etc.

Asking us to effectively win that league is a massive ask. In fact, with our squad depth, even with two more players, I'd say it's near impossible, we'd need all our key men to play virtually every game.

However, we should be able to create an entertaining side that has a go and doesn't treat every game like an underdog in the cup.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last season was dire because the club would not bring in any players he wanted to make it more attacking.

Simple and as straightforward as that.

We still have the same issues. I am not saying he is a great manager but I feel so sorry for him. Well and truly let down, at least to this point.
I think it’s fair to say we both are optimistic in different ways….
you are more optimistic about Bruno once he gets backing and I feel that we will get players in.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair point.

If we do get a progressive CM and a striker in then Bruno can have no excuses in terms of the style of play.

I won't judge him on Europe personally. That's the dream but realistically there are six teams that should always finish above us. West Ham & Aston Villa should rightly expect to finish above us, then we're in a group with Newcastle, Leicester (both of who probably expect to finish above us), Palace, Brighton etc.

Asking us to effectively win that league is a massive ask. In fact, with our squad depth, even with two more players, I'd say it's near impossible, we'd need all our key men to play virtually every game.

However, we should be able to create an entertaining side that has a go and doesn't treat every game like an underdog in the cup.
I was enjoying my morning coffee until I read your depressing second paragraph……thx:(;)

D

Deleted member (smith)

1 year left on his contract.

thank you for this…I was wondering why we were not interested in Sanches having nearly acquired him last year at a higher price. But the transfer fee is of course only one element of cost to the buyer….salary , age, length of contract are also key issues. As the contract runs down the sellers value falls and the player perhaps demands a higher salary.

seems very similar to our position with Traore. He won’t sign an extension because we won’t pay what he wants …value will fall rapidly to zero as the contract runs down and all value will be in the salary cost .so even on a free he may not be attractive if his salary demands are too high.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should be able to create an entertaining side that has a go.
Well we failed to entertain in 90% of last seasons games with the same players more or less so I think entertainment will be something other teams will do we just need to try and stay up.
Entertainment and Wolves aren't normally words that go together, boring, predictable, stale and depressing are a few that are more apt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom