Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Listening to the Totally Football Show season preview podcast this morning...

"And next we'll turn our attention to the other end of the table and discuss who's going down this season....alongside Wolves, of course"

How on earth did we end up here?
To be fair, as I posted earlier, none of the writers on the actual podcast predicted us to go down, but they were referring to Matt Davies Adams, a regular pundit, who is convinced we are going down. He's been saying it since the end of last season. However, they were all pretty negative about us, and had us in the group of teams just above the relegation candidates.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The one thing i have seen about gibbs-white is they are really put off by the 30m which does go with what stever said, that he will only go if valuation met.

Also said about price tag for united and united havent yet come in but might.

This is my concern, that week 3 united put 60m on the table for neves and he is off.
It would definitely unsettle Neves, but without a 100% deal in place for a Prem ready midfielder then it would be suicide for us. 50 or 60m is pointless if we're relegated.
MGW 30m is decent but similar to above, I'd want the ink already on paper for a very good wide forward. Squad is paper thin as it is. Also would want decent add ons that could make it 40m total.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, as I posted earlier, none of the writers on the actual podcast predicted us to go down, but they were referring to Matt Davies Adams, a regular pundit, who is convinced we are going down. He's been saying it since the end of last season. However, they were all pretty negative about us, and had us in the group of teams just above the relegation candidates.

Sadly the wider football world sees our lack of goals and weak attacking play from last season coupled with our anaemic transfer window to address these problems and compared it to those who finished around us and their activity plus the newly promoted teams and made a very easy to see arguement that we could go down.

It is very easy to believe and talk about. Not many of my mates who support other clubs but take an interest in wolves believe we will finish top half, oddly only one thinks we will go down but the phrase “do a Leeds and Everton” is used by both to describe how they see next season for us.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It would definitely unsettle Neves, but without a 100% deal in place for a Prem ready midfielder then it would be suicide for us. 50 or 60m is pointless if we're relegated.
MGW 30m is decent but similar to above, I'd want the ink already on paper for a very good wide forward. Squad is paper thin as it is. Also would want decent add ons that could make it 40m total.

and Scott sellers will snap their hands off and then say “well it was a great deal for the player and we just didn’t have enough time to sort the replacement”

You can see it now

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a bit of an in-joke. One of their contributors has a reputation for successfully predicting unlikely relegation candidates and he said he thought we could struggle. They turned this into a joke about how we're nailed on to go down as a way of poking fun at the media hype machine and that contributor. None of the contributors on that episode thought we'd go down and the general consensus was as it is on here: if our first team stays fit and we can score goals we'll be fine, but goal scoring and strength-in-depth could see us struggle.

The general consensus was that the promoted teams, Leeds, Everton and Brentford are the most likely to go down. We were mentioned as part of a group of teams who could finish anywhere from eighth to 20th.
Ah thanks for clarifying, I was too depressed to carry on listening to it :tearsofjoy:

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont understand enzo fernandes and what happened there i really dont
We wouldn’t let him finish the copa libatadores I believe before he joined us……

Then they lost in the first round and he would be here now.

This lot are idiots, he is a player worth waiting a few weeks extra for and with the season almost cut into two mini leagues before the World Cup this was the season to be able
To entertain that type of deal.

But from how other transfers have fallen apart based upon ITK info sharing if the deal isn’t 100% suiting us we walk away. Admirable, but sometimes getting 90% of what you want to get a quality addition would be fine as we seem to cut our noses off to spite our faces.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If neves goes between now and the end of the window and sellars is trusted to replace him … i think toxic molineux might hit its peak
Selling Neves &/or MGW is beyond insane at this late stage no matter who is replacing them.
It also sends out dreadful signals to any players considering signing. You don’t grow your team by selling your brightest talents 30 seconds before kicking off.

I’ve been a (mostly) staunch defender of Fosun recently, after my post Fan Boy crash. But if we sell these two now it’s idiotic and will result in relegation. Even if we signed two unheard of wonder kids like Neto, no time to integrate them.

Sell your best players and replace with worse in a team that’s already been struggling for goals is cutting your own throat. If I were Jeff I’d be very, very worried about the repercussions of doing so. Molineux can be a magical cauldron of support, or a toxic **** hole of abuse and badly scribbled bed sheets. Beware the latter.

Whilst I know Fosun don’t have a ‘spunk the cash’ Risdale-esque desire to make the CL, I also don’t think they’re completely stupid and willing to intentionally tank everything they’ve built. Maybe I’m not clever enough but I don’t see any upside in them doing do. Here’s hoping sanity prevails, we stay up and some investors come in to rebuild Molineux and push us onto Champions League glory.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ruddy - replaced by Sarkic.

Marcal - was bought in to cover Jonny who is now fit. Semedo is nearing fitness.

Saiss - replaced by Collins.

Hoever - down the pecking order needs a lone.
Some context
It's a bit of an in-joke. One of their contributors has a reputation for successfully predicting unlikely relegation candidates and he said he thought we could struggle. They turned this into a joke about how we're nailed on to go down as a way of poking fun at the media hype machine and that contributor. None of the contributors on that episode thought we'd go down and the general consensus was as it is on here: if our first team stays fit and we can score goals we'll be fine, but goal scoring and strength-in-depth could see us struggle.

The general consensus was that the promoted teams, Leeds, Everton and Brentford are the most likely to go down. We were mentioned as part of a group of teams who could finish anywhere from eighth to 20th.
8-20 is exactly where we should finish. Which although obvious is the smartest prediction.

GateWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Have we still got a special relationship with Jorge Mendes? The only thing he seems to have done in the last twelve months is try and get a move for Adama; has he made any significant contribution since Nuno left?
I know it is not something that we are entitled to, but it is something that we definitely had.
nail on head

Wolf in the sun

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This year was “we need a refresh”
Last year was “trust us”
No interview with Bruno over all of pre season
A depleted squad last year, we have gotten rid of 6/7 first team squad players with only 1 incoming.
Fabio being moved on with out a replacement sorted
3 days away from Leeds and desperately need at least 3 for the first team let alone the squad but same “we will wait for the deal” **** constantly which generally means no one else is signing.
0 investment in 3/4 years

So you can understand completely why the fans are gathering and not happy. If you tell people you want to attack the top 7, then back it up with actions!!! if we can’t reach those levels then taper your expectations and go after a few decent signings.

It’s **** the way the footballing side is run and i feel sorry for Bruno who looks like he’s been silenced .

I’ve said the above so many times but I go back to the point, the season doesn’t start when the window closes September 1st it’s august 6th and we’ve all seen the “no rush” “wait for the deal” **** before and we will inevitably get let down again!!!!
THIS....unfortunately :mad:

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm fine with lots of things about our transfer window. I'm fine that we don't have oodles of cash to spend so have to be a bit more prudent (I'm sure we have some), I'm also fine with targeting the right player for the majority of the season rather than bringing in the first player you can so you've got him for the start of the season. I also know that two good signings with no major outgoings would make this a great window

However

The recruitment team simply have to produce (at least) those two signings. They rubber stamped the loan of our back up striker two weeks ago, surely implying that a replacement was imminent? But here we are about to go into the season with no fit centre forward. You'd have some sympathy if we'd brought one in and he'd picked up a knock, but not to have one after letting your back up go and then your main man getting injured? It's bordering on negligence. Obviously, the other area we really need another option is midfield and like a year ago we've been linked with a very good player, but are we going to leave that until it's too late to move on to someone else again?

Sink or swim for Sellars and his team in my opinion, if we haven't added a couple of first team players by the end of the window, I can't see how they can hold on to their roles - but hopefully we can hold on to our status

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the club and it's associated press contacts have made it quite clear that it intends to acquire two or three more players before the end of the window. After last seasons last minute failure to get the targets they had identified, naturally many are beginning to feel a little deja vu. Frustratingly it does on the face of it seem like poor planning that we are leaving things so late in the window once again. But I guess we have no idea of what specific variables have to come into play and what switches have to be turned on and pieces of puzzles fall into place to make things happen. Let's hope their is some good news soon but I do feel we have quite a few specific positives especially in defense compared to this time last season that may or may not give us a better start. But even with a bag full of new players this is not necessarily a recipe for a successful season as many teams have proven in the past.

MGW - new for this year quality player raring to prove himself
Ronan - possible midfield substitute back up (can pick a pass and scored a few scorchers for St Mirren that were as classy as some of Neves's goals).
RAN - improving massively all the time
Collins - New Quality defender, what we needed for when we want to play four at the back
Neto - looks to be firing on all cylinders again
Johnny - fully fit back to his old self
Neves - surprisingly still with us a massive bonus so far
Mosquera - fit again and keen
Toti - fit and good defensive back up

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An interesting point to think about is how little opposition these radical changes faced. The major Covid losses almost certainly have played a big role here. The new 70% rule effectively mandates that all clubs will now operate at a profit of some degree, so all clubs will be able over the next few years be able to recover some of the losses for the Covid affected period. UEFA have exploited this crisis to further cement the monopoly advantage of the top group, (there are13 clubs in the Rich list with a clear lead over the rest).

Its a dystopian model in my view and may well lead to a drop in interest in the game, (certainly for me at least!). That narrow window of competitive possibility still available is effectively been closed shut with these changes. There should be a legal challenge put together by an alliance of the most affected clubs, ie that strata able to assembe a competitive squad, with top level training facilities, backed by a passionate public, on the basis of restriction of trade and removal of competitive possibility, but there seems to be no appetite for that.
Of course, Wolves could just ignore the uUEFA rules and just follow the Premier's own, much looser restrictions. These allow for a £35 million loss per year, and no specification on wage cap limits as % of turnover. Arguably Newcastle are doing something in this vein. (which throws open the possibility that the Saudis may have to confront the UEFA's monopolistic regulations if they were to qualify for Europe).

Wolves, however, have already been sanctioned once for breaching UEFA's rules and could face elimination if it happens again. Furthermore, selling the club has included the prospect of European qualification in recent years. And the club becomes notably less attractive to top players without that carrot.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I genuinely feel that bruno cant verbalise his discontent, remember its his job and livelihood.

He will maybe put a few strong arm statements in his pre leeds presser but other than that i dont think he can push to far.

Fosun can easily give him the jump and look for another mendes client
He seems the type that if we lose against leeds he wont be able to help himself saying something about the squad.
Which may get him in trouble, so they could chop him and get a 100% yes man in.
Could just make Sellars the manager, get it over with

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this place goes into proper meltdown when posters go from legitimately worrying about what has (or hasn't) happened, to worrying about what could potentially happen if we were actually run by idiots.

Let’s not forget that the club have spent £90m on four strikers who are still on our books, not one of which is fit and available to play on Saturday, and who’s total market value is now a fraction of that. Raul’s excellent form before his injury is covering up a very mixed performance when it comes to buying strikers.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hate to repeat what has been said elsewhere but are we really going into the first game of the season without a fit senior striker? It's embarrassing and represents gross negligence from FOSUN. We've been in the Premier League for 4 years now with all the financial benefits that entails, there's no excuse for not having all positions adequately covered, especially one as important as the CF role. If they're not interested in backing the club any longer then they need to sell up to those who are and will take us forward. You can't expect to be comfortable in the Prem doing it on the cheap.

For the record, the lack of investment probably demonstrates that they are looking to sell at least part of the club within the next few years. After all, why would you invest large sums in an asset that you potentially plan to sell in the near future? Midtable finishes to maintain and even increase the club's sale value will clearly be the aim for the foreseeable but that's far from guaranteed with serious holes in the squad.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will IMO. There’s no uncertainty in my mind. Neves is more than just a top class midfielder, he’s talismanic and represents modern day Wolves. He’s a symbol of the project, I think selling him will be far more damaging than the bean counters realise.

Well, I think one thing more idiotic than selling Neves, is to speak in absolute certainties in football. IMO.

If we sold Neves, but brought in Nunes + another say £10m-20m first team ready holding/central midfielder, then I can't see how we'd be certain to go down.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, I think one thing more idiotic than selling Neves, is to speak in absolute certainties in football. IMO.

If we sold Neves, but brought in Nunes + another say £10m-20m first team ready holding/central midfielder, then I can't see how we'd be certain to go down.
If we bought in Ronaldo, Mbappe and Messi I also think we’d stay up, however I’d say the likelihood is less than zero…. Which is a similar probability to us signing Nunes AND a 20m first team ready central midfielder (unless we’re selling Donk as well).

As for my alleged ‘idiocy’, firstly that’s not very polite, and second it’s an opinion. That’s kind of the point of forums.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

So Nunes, who doesn't want to join us now, will want to join us after we sell our best player?

If we sell Neves at this stage of the window it's total panic stations for me, we will look absolutely clueless and devoid of any ambition.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Let’s not forget that the club have spent £90m on four strikers who are still on our books, not one of which is fit and available to play on Saturday, and who’s total market value is now a fraction of that. Raul’s excellent form before his injury is covering up a very mixed performance when it comes to buying strikers.
I've got that very much in the legitimate causes for concern column. I don't have the head space for 'imagine how bad it will be if we sell Neves and MGW next week'.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we bought in Ronaldo, Mbappe and Messi I also think we’d stay up, however I’d say the likelihood is less than zero…. Which is a similar probability to us signing Nunes AND a 20m first team ready central midfielder (unless we’re selling Donk as well).

As for my alleged ‘idiocy’, firstly that’s not very polite, and second it’s an opinion. That’s kind of the point of forums.
I'd say there's an above zero chance of us signing Nunes + A.N. Other CM if Neves went.

Well, the reason I said idiotic, is because that's how you'd described the situation you'd imagined - perhaps it's only impolite when it's aimed at you, rather than when you aim it at others? Either that, or it might look like you're being hypocritical.

And just because something is an opinion, doesn't mean it has any inherent value.
But if we sell these two now it’s idiotic and will result in relegation.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So Nunes, who doesn't want to join us now, will want to join us after we sell our best player?
With an extra £60m in our pockets I imagine we might be able to put a more compelling offer to him.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hate to repeat what has been said elsewhere but…

One feels that should be the intro on all the other posts from the namby-pamby, belly-achers. It’d at least prevent me from reading the same old ****e, over and over and over and over and over…

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It will be crazy if we dont give ourselves more options in the squad and improve it, especially with 5 subs.

This ^

We shouldn't be in a position where we're relying on players who haven't even played at championship level to be game changers at this level.

No other team in the league has such a drop off in quality on their subs bench. The 5 subs rule is just going to make this much, much worse.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With an extra £60m in our pockets I imagine we might be able to put a more compelling offer to him.
Only if he’s entirely mercenary and happy to a club that isn’t interested in moving up the table. Playing with Neves would be more compelling than an extra few hundred grand signing on fee?

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd say there's an above zero chance of us signing Nunes + A.N. Other CM if Neves went.

You didn’t say A N other - you said a 10-20m first team ready CM AND Nunes - which we absolutely won’t. Not unless Donk goes as well.

As for my alleged ‘hypocrisy’, I suggested that selling Neves & MGW would be idiotic (ie. as an idea), not that any specific individual is an idiot. As such I didn't directly insult anyone…

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
None of us want a William Jose type signing but is there not a loan signing out there to play up top?
I am getting desperate now but it seems the club just doesn’t care

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As for my alleged ‘hypocrisy’, I suggested that selling Neves & MGW would be idiotic (ie. as an idea), not that any specific individual is an idiot. As such I didn't directly insult anyone…

I didn't call you (or anyone else) an idiot, I said:

Well, I think one thing more idiotic than selling Neves, is to speak in absolute certainties in football.

So to me, that looks like I was criticising an idea. And yet you took offence when I did it, but not when you did.

And I simply shortened it to A.N. Other for brevity.

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang at Striker isn’t the end of the world.

He would do a job before the return of Raul.
I agree to be honest, people are saying we haven’t got a fit first team striker but we have. As long as he isn’t asked to play wide again, get him in the box and give him the ball I think he can get a goal or two while we wait for reinforcements.

Back
Top Bottom