Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

England Women: The Lionesses

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Also, the women's game is night and day from 10-15 years ago. As enjoyable (and not!) as any men's match. Any detractors, shame on you.
The standard is great now, although it's taken me a while to cotton on.

Fantastic result tonight, especially the resilience after getting pegged back. Putting the men's team to shame.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Two things the women's game needs now, as well as the obvious crowds and media support.

Firstly, greater depth of competition; it's getting there at international level, but there needs to be more than three or four top club teams and then a bunch of average ones who get pumped 4-0 every other week. Competitive sport is successful sport, whatever sport that is, so hopefully young players with high standards start coming through at 'other' clubs and aren't immediately snaffled up by the fat cat clubs.

Secondly, there needs to be a superstar. Someone who comes through with a blend of pace and technique and outrageous moments of "wtf did I just see" skill that blow up on twitter and youtube, a real face and name of the sport. Because once there's one there'll be more, and whether they come from England or the US or France or wherever, it will be something special and memorable.

Next few years could really be brilliant.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
Two things the women's game needs now, as well as the obvious crowds and media support.

Firstly, greater depth of competition; it's getting there at international level, but there needs to be more than three or four top club teams and then a bunch of average ones who get pumped 4-0 every other week. Competitive sport is successful sport, whatever sport that is, so hopefully young players with high standards start coming through at 'other' clubs and aren't immediately snaffled up by the fat cat clubs.

Secondly, there needs to be a superstar. Someone who comes through with a blend of pace and technique and outrageous moments of "wtf did I just see" skill that blow up on twitter and youtube, a real face and name of the sport. Because once there's one there'll be more, and whether they come from England or the US or France or wherever, it will be something special and memorable.

I’d argue Sam Kerr is already that star but naturally she doesn’t garner as much respect and exposure purely because she is a woman.

There is no questioning the skill and athleticism of these women but the sad unfortunate reality is it will always play second fiddle to the men’s game.

In saying that, I still do not think the women’s game has peaked yet, so it is indeed exciting times ahead.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d argue Sam Kerr is already that star but naturally she doesn’t garner as much respect and exposure purely because she is a woman.

There is no questioning the skill and athleticism of these women but the sad unfortunate reality is it will always play second fiddle to the men’s game.

In saying that, I still do not think the women’s game has peaked yet, so it is indeed exciting times ahead.
Sam Kerr is superb, to the extent that if you added her to any one of a half dozen teams in this tournament they would have won it. And she's a great example, you're right, because her name pops up on social media more than any other female player, she's the current headliner. The player who comes through to take her crown will be phenomenal.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Amazing achievement, will rightfully become role models for a generation of young girls (and probably a lot of young boys too)... and let's not forget, this group have achieved this without any (or many) role models like that for them when they were growing up. Without the infrastructure and foundations that are being built, and will be built stronger on this win. They accomplished this, regardless.

Just imagine what the Lionesses of the future will be able to achieve.

Great day for England, great day for women's sport, and great day for sport in England, full stop. Time to build on it.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
Sam Kerr is superb, to the extent that if you added her to any one of a half dozen teams in this tournament they would have won it. And she's a great example, you're right, because her name pops up on social media more than any other female player, she's the current headliner. The player who comes through to take her crown will be phenomenal.
She’s unreal. The good news is I’m an Aussie and although our current squad is probably slightly weaker than it was when she first arrived on the scene, I’m hoping the home ground advantage will also work in our favour for the WC like it has done for the England men and women over the last 2 summers.

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well done to the Lionesses the Wenches have shown the lads how to do it, and as for the manager she is "The Special One".

Gromit

Reaction score
Brilliant achievement ladies.
Trust the women to bring it home after the men have failed for 56 years!!!

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Managed to travel home just in time to see the final. Absolutely brilliant. I love the way England women always go for it and don't play safety first or with fear. I'm Welsh, but have lived in England for quite a while, and my kids were all born in England. Maybe it was tiredness from travelling but, as a Welshman, I found myself shedding a few tears for this wonderful England team. I've loved the atmospheres at games, the joy, the inclusivity, and am aware of what it could mean for women's sport in general, women's football, and opportunities and dreams young women and girls up and down the country.

I still can't believe that the FA banned women from using their facilities and pitches until the 1970s. It's unbelievable how backwards and insecure the FA were until very recently. Not sure if they have done, but if they haven't apologised yet, they should do. Well done England. I hope it's a game changer for women's sport and football in this country, I think it will be.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The standard is great now, although it's taken me a while to cotton on.

Fantastic result tonight, especially the resilience after getting pegged back. Putting the men's team to shame.
Same sport, different game. Like tennis and golf if you see the game for what it is it’s a great watch .

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reminds me of how the mens' game used to be 60 years ago. Much simpler and more honest. Easy to identify with the players. Loved watching them. Stopped watching the England men decades ago.
Said almost that to my wife. I said 70s

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How often was VAR involved? I recall one mention of checking a possible handball penalty shout, which no one seemed to have seen. Basically the officials officiated & the players largely accepted that. Germans got stuck in, Russo put herself about a bit, some 'professional' time-wasting (re-spotting the ball at corners etc) but very little in the way of diving & play-acting & unnecessary whingeing..

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As opposed to a lot of comments on here, I didn't watch as I can't stand most women's sport where it tries to copy men's sport... football, cricket, rugby, you can keep it. And as for those screaming schoolgirls. :joycat:

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As opposed to a lot of comments on here, I didn't watch as I can't stand most women's sport where it tries to copy men's sport... football, cricket, rugby, you can keep it. And as for those screaming schoolgirls. :joycat:
Yet you felt the need to have to come on this thread to share that. And copy men's sport? They have just bettered our mens results not copied them

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shame your closed mind meant you missed out on a genuinely fantastic sporting occasion

siwolf80

Reaction score

As you didn't watch it let me help with a few bits of information.

This England team have beaten higher ranked teams in every knockout round.

This England team have embraced the pressure of a home tournament whilst engaging with the fans after the game.

Finally and most importantly this England team have won a major tournament.

I'm not sure how you think they've copied anyone.

Extremely proud and completely deserved.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As you didn't watch it let me help with a few bits of information.

This England team have beaten higher ranked teams in every knockout round.

This England team have embraced the pressure of a home tournament whilst engaging with the fans after the game.

Finally and most importantly this England team have won a major tournament.

I'm not sure how you think they've copied anyone.

Extremely proud and completely deserved.
Whoosh!!! Tumbleweed. :smilingimp:

T

TheConcourse

Men don’t own sport. It’s just sport.

Assume this is just humour ;)

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Funny how some people seem to try just a little too hard to tell everyone how much they don’t like or don’t watch womens sport.
They feel threatened and they're insecure. As my son would say, they're man-lets and feel the need to deride or troll because women succeeding make them feel less of a man. They're very sad really.

On social media, my general approach is not to feed the trolls but I also think it's good sometimes to give an alternative point of view that others will read, and feel supported if they read it, and maybe some others will change their minds. I don't do it to particularly argue with the insecure man childs of this world, older idiots who still troll women are never going to change.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I´m an old git.
I actually watched the Womens Euros back in 1984..when we;Sweden,were the champions after beating England in the final match on penalties(the great Pia Sundhage with the decisive penalty).
That match was played in Luton on what must be the most rainsick pitch I´ve ever seen.I guess the attendance number for that match was 2500.
Comparing that to the match yesterday the development has been amazing.
I´ve watched alot of womens football over the years..and the game certainly continues to develop.
Yesterdays match and this tourney as a whole contines this permanent trend.
Congratulations England,it was close and it could have gone either way..but I do think you deserved the luck of the green.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I was thinking this as well. In the main the best women teams are those linked to the big mens teams. It would seem money has affected the womens game arguably even worse than the mens game as the big teams vacuum up all the talent.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Its all just sport, and should be open to anyone. There is no men's ownership, and thankfully the men who thought there should be are becoming a thing of the past - though there is obviously still some way to go.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Knowing I can access here on my phone again and can squeeze this in before Day 4 of B2022, ECSTATIC is the word!

Fully deserved it yesterday and on another day, could have been 3/4 but who cares how a 109th minute winner flys into the net.

English Women Sporting teams have provided us with a truly magnificent decade of success:

- 2014 Rugby World Cup - very nearly defended in 2017
- 2017 Cricket World Cup - very nearly defended this in 2022
- 2022 Football European Championships

This is simply amazing and I have no doubt we can mark July 31st 2022, as the day which helped take football to a new level!

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also, the women's game is night and day from 10-15 years ago. As enjoyable (and not!) as any men's match. Any detractors, shame on you.

The standard was hideously slated on this very forum only 1 year ago (?). To be fair to the detractors, the progress has been rapid.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Whoosh!!! Tumbleweed. :smilingimp:
I assumed you were on the windup but tone didnt come across well. Normally a winking emoji, or exlamation mark helps with that sort of thing, otherwise you just come across as a bigot.

R

reanswolf

I can’t pretend I’m emotionally invested or in anyway elated, but it is clear that the standard of football England play is excellent, it was a wonderful achievement, and the girls game will hopefully evolve now.

Three very big pluses and the England girls deserve immense credit.

Ps I’m on a Wolves forum and am allowed to comment

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Funny how some people seem to try just a little too hard to tell everyone how much they don’t like or don’t watch womens sport.
Too hard!

I commented on a forum, not put an announcement in the Guardian or wrote to my MP. :joycat:

Back
Top Bottom