Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

England Women: The Lionesses

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As opposed to a lot of comments on here, I didn't watch as I can't stand most women's sport where it tries to copy men's sport... football, cricket, rugby, you can keep it. And as for those screaming schoolgirls. :joycat:
Jeez

rg4352

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As opposed to a lot of comments on here, I didn't watch as I can't stand most women's sport where it tries to copy men's sport... football, cricket, rugby, you can keep it. And as for those screaming schoolgirls. :joycat:

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They feel threatened and they're insecure. As my son would say, they're man-lets and feel the need to deride or troll because women succeeding make them feel less of a man. They're very sad really.

On social media, my general approach is not to feed the trolls but I also think it's good sometimes to give an alternative point of view that others will read, and feel supported if they read it, and maybe some others will change their minds. I don't do it to particularly argue with the insecure man childs of this world, older idiots who still troll women are never going to change.
Well summarised WB

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
must admit the celebrations with the team, the fans, the manager and media were the best ive ever seen
So refreshing to just have people enjoying themselves,no racism,booing, violence, no senseless pitch invasions
The team were still on the pitch over an hour after the game ended
Almost 90k in the stadium brilliant
The men can learn a lot from these girls

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How often was VAR involved? I recall one mention of checking a possible handball penalty shout, which no one seemed to have seen. Basically the officials officiated & the players largely accepted that. Germans got stuck in, Russo put herself about a bit, some 'professional' time-wasting (re-spotting the ball at corners etc) but very little in the way of diving & play-acting & unnecessary whingeing..
It was involved several times but usually in the background
It was a bit slow with our winning goal i think and one possible penalty but otherwise hardly mentioned
As you say little diving and rolling around,thought the Germans got away with a few things and got a bit fiesty as we ran down the clock, but that just shows how much they wanted it too

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Just managed to log back on after the forum issues....

Went to the game yesterday with my 7 year old daughter. She said it was the best day of her life :hearteyes:. That to me is everything.

I been to over 500 live games, but this was something else. The atmosphere everything about yesterday was amazing.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
must admit the celebrations with the team, the fans, the manager and media were the best ive ever seen
So refreshing to just have people enjoying themselves,no racism,booing, violence, no senseless pitch invasions
The team were still on the pitch over an hour after the game ended
Almost 90k in the stadium brilliant
The men can learn a lot from these girls

So can the fans of the men's game

R

reanswolf

I listened to it on the radio, and they were saying how quiet it was for long spells, infact the German fans were the only ones singing, I guess it was partly anxiety like the mens Euro final.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
17.4 Million peak of viewers on BBC One and another 5.9 Million on BBC iPlayer yesterday - making the Lionesses win THE MOST WATCHED Women’s Sporting Event in UK History by far!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently the German press thought we were nasty !!

What’s this, Germany as sore losers? Surely can’t be. The epitome of logic and sporting greatness humbled by losing two Wembley finals in almost 60 years :oops:

Not only that, but now the British press are in a conspiracy of silence over the “crystal clear penalty”!

Last edited:

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely loved all the knock-out games, felt far more emotion than I ever did last summer, which would have been unheard of a couple of years ago. Just an incredible achievement that hopefully makes new paths for youngsters in this country.

Still find it hilarious that Phil Neville was parachuted into the manager's role and completely fluffed it. A small example of everything that's wrong with the men's game.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do people have to make stuff up to try and justify the game? Say it as it was.

What was wholesome and nice of Jill Scott screaming in someone's face '**** off you ****ing *****' after they had committed the most standard foul you have ever seen?

The German's are right, the England team were nasty but that's good - they did what they had to to win.

After they went 2-1 up the ball was hardly in play. They were time wasting like mad, they were doing everything you'd expect a team that are winning in a final would do.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
What’s this, Germany as sore losers? Surely can’t be. The epitome of logic and sporting greatness humbled by losing two Wembley finals in almost 60 years :oops:

To be fair, BILD is Germany's version of the Daily Mail, there to stoke up animosity in order to get more clicks and sales for their advertisers. Unsurprising that the Daily Mail were the first ones to pick up on this and use it as a way of getting more clicks themselves, ticks all the right boxes with their EU hating readership. Nothing better for the Daily Mail than to celebrate by bashing the Germans, people lap it up. BILD have done the same thing for their audience too. Hate sells. It's a shame the Metro have picked up on it.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do people have to make stuff up to try and justify the game? Say it as it was.

What was wholesome and nice of Jill Scott screaming in someone's face '**** off you ****ing *****' after they had committed the most standard foul you have ever seen?

The German's are right, the England team were nasty but that's good - they did what they had to to win.

After they went 2-1 up the ball was hardly in play. They were time wasting like mad, they were doing everything you'd expect a team that are winning in a final would do.
Loved the way they kept them pinned in their own left corner, for what seemed like hours! The number of times you want your team to do that and instead they float an aimless cross into the box.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loved the way they kept them pinned in their own left corner, for what seemed like hours! The number of times you want your team to do that and instead they float an aimless cross into the box.
Exactly. They knew the dark arts and they did what was needed to win. Nothing wrong with that yet some on here are trying to make their own narrative to what they feel it should be.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, BILD is Germany's version of the Daily Mail, there to stoke up animosity in order to get more clicks and sales for their advertisers. Unsurprising that the Daily Mail were the first ones to pick up on this and use it as a way of getting more clicks themselves, ticks all the right boxes with their EU hating readership. Nothing better for the Daily Mail than to celebrate by bashing the Germans, people lap it up. BILD have done the same thing for their audience too. Hate sells. It's a shame the Metro have picked up on it.

The point is though that when the boot is on the other foot, the same German press would be exactly as they are complaining about the British press. They would be silent if the not given penalty call was against the, and incredulous that the other side were not gracious in defeat. It just shows that the British are no worse losers than the Germans.

By the way, I have a number of long time German friends, and I can guess without asking, which would be gracious in defeat, and which will be quietly seething :)

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Exactly. Said as much last night watching it. So frustrating when you’re the one losing and experienced it so many times, so it was great to be on the other side of it for a change.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just to put a little bit of realism into all of this before the victory parade.
The problem will be to maintain this interest in between big tourneys.
We never managed to do it in Sweden.
There has always been great interest in the big tourneys over here..Olympics,WC,EC.
It hasn´t spilled over in any significant way regarding the everyday club football.
This will be the real huge challenge for Englands womens football as well.
I recon it will take a great amount of time still.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly. Said as much last night watching it. So frustrating when you’re the one losing and experienced it so many times, so it was great to be on the other side of it for a change.
I’ve never understood people losing their mind about teams running the ball into the corner (even if we’re on the end of it), there’s nothing in the rules to say you can’t, it’s not cheating anymore than a team leading and playing possession football across the midfield and defence, ultimately it’s up to the opposition to deal with it.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Confession time. Having grown up in the 1970's, Women's Tennis and Athletics were the norm and I'd happily watch both sexes compete with equal enthusiasm and I had many female sporting heroines from these sports that were household names on a par dare I say with men.

Women's Rugby and Football didn't really exist as such, Cricket was only really known because of Rachel Hey-Ho Flint and as for Boxing, surely that would never happen.

I gave Woman's football a go when it started to be shown on TV and if I'm honest I was indifferent, mainly because of the standard than anything else. I then, as you do, became a little resentful when Sky Sports went really over the top in forcing it down its viewers throats and was done for a particular agenda rather than the merits of the sport.

Started to watch this tournament because my wife had the games on (not just England) and primarily to earn brownie points (she loves football and goes to games btw). But started to enjoy it and found myself getting into it. I began to plan my day so we could see the England games and even tried to get hold of tickets (unsuccessfully). I became hooked

Like other women's pioneers the Lionesses have broken down barriers, for future generations they'll accept women's Football as just a normal sport that women compete in, the same our generation did with Tennis and Athletics.

This team also had something different, there is an attitude, freshness and honesty about them that is missing from the men's game now, this and their achievements has endeared them to the nation and is a gamer changer.

I was wrong and not ashamed to admit it. I was the same about Boxing for example, but now we personally know a Women's Boxing World Champion, who recently went to South Africa and came back with the Championship Belt, and I know the sacrifices she's making to do this. It's moment's like this that we need to embrace and enjoy, and ride that wave of emotion, you'll be better for it.

The Lionesses have achieved so, so much and they'll no doubt get their place in the sport's history, and they deserve it.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Women's Rugby and Football didn't really exist as such
Not sure how widely known or talked about it is but it’s interesting how few people in the mainstream are aware that Women’s football was massively popular after the first world war. On Boxing Day in 1920, Dick Kerr Ladies FC v St Helen’s Ladies had a sell-out crowd of 53,000 at Goodison Park, with another 14,000 outside trying to get in. A lot of women players were household names, so of course, the FA banned women’s football a few months later simply because it was getting too popular.

They didn’t lift the ban until 1971. 1971! Meaning the women’s game was literally outlawed for 50 years. The FA owe the women’s game some kind of reparations for sure. It’s really no surprise that the game is so popular, people love football in all shapes and forms and styles.

Personally, I think it's a shame the narrative isn't more in line with the fact that women were literally excluded from football by the FA for so long, rather than that it’s taken so long to capture the nation’s imagination because it should be a source of national shame.

So it really is a remarkable win. All power to them.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m Hoping the success of the England ladies might inspire Shi to change his mind and put a bit more investment into Wolves ladies - it will be chickenfeed compared to the mens team but a little money would go a long way for our ladies team and we could really make a leap forward - plus start attracting girls and women of all backgrounds into the game.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure how widely known or talked about it is but it’s interesting how few people in the mainstream are aware that Women’s football was massively popular after the first world war. On Boxing Day in 1920, Dick Kerr Ladies FC v St Helen’s Ladies had a sell-out crowd of 53,000 at Goodison Park, with another 14,000 outside trying to get in. A lot of women players were household names, so of course, the FA banned women’s football a few months later simply because it was getting too popular.

They didn’t lift the ban until 1971. 1971! Meaning the women’s game was literally outlawed for 50 years. The FA owe the women’s game some kind of reparations for sure. It’s really no surprise that the game is so popular, people love football in all shapes and forms and styles.

Personally, I think it's a shame the narrative isn't more in line with the fact that women were literally excluded from football by the FA for so long, rather than that it’s taken so long to capture the nation’s imagination because it should be a source of national shame.

So it really is a remarkable win. All power to them.

Absolutely right. The FA have apologised for their historic ban but they need to do more to right the wrongs given the 50 years it was in place.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
lol as if anyway. Never anywhere near a penalty. Fancy them bringing up the 66' world cup debate. They forgot to mention the far more obvious Lampard one against them. I'm sure they can consoul themselves in the many international trophies both mens and womens German teams have won over the years. Also serves them right for trying to intimidate and bully us (particularly Stanway) because they knew we'd out-football them.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The best thing that can happen for the women's game is the BBC need to buy all the rights to the WSL and European matches, the whole lot and broadcast the big matches every week. If it's on free to air it'll explode.

I saw that BBC and Sky paid 8m a season for the rights but the lionshare go to Sky. I doubt it'll gain much exposure on PPV.
I also saw the BBC paid 20m+ for the champions league highlights. You can watch the highlights for free on UEFA.com the day after.
The BBC should just pay the 20m to get the full women's game rights instead.

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
For those being turned off by the media "over" hyping the women's game, I assume you'll also be turning off and cancelling your subscriptions for Premier League, Champions League & World Cup football too for the same reasons.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a shame you didn't watch. You missed England's first goal which was a world-class finish by any standard. The most delicate chip when under extreme pressure and travelling at speed. Messi couldn't have done it better.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can’t pretend I’m emotionally invested or in anyway elated, but it is clear that the standard of football England play is excellent, it was a wonderful achievement, and the girls game will hopefully evolve now. Three very big pluses and the England girls deserve immense credit.
I'm chuffed for the ladies and will always back English sportsmen/women in a final against Germany especially! I could only watch parts of the final, but what I saw was decent. It was a top-class finish by Toone for 1-0, but all three goals stemmed from poor defending (which is one of the outstanding issues about the women's game). Only a black-hearted ghoul wouldn't draw some enthusiasm from the effect this is having on girls throughout the nation.

I am not so enthused however about the "the women have done what the men can't" comments. It's been suggested we enjoy women's football in of itself and not make comparisons to the men's game. Rightly so, they're incomparable for a number of reasons; yet this provocative crap predictably creeps through - from those who are happy to dispense labels like "manlet" or "troll". There's more than a hint of projection in that.

More broadly, I am not comfortable with how the women's game, particularly recent international tournaments, has been astroturfed into the public conscience by media outlets like the BBC over far more organically successful competitions like the Championship. There are politically socialist / equality of outcome overtones in that which I cannot abide, from a media outlet mind that were complaining only a few days ago that there aren't enough black women in the team. Top-tier women's Football averaged 1000 spectators per game just last year, yet I'm supposed to believe there was a full house at Wembley for the final because of a meritocratic growth in popularity since? Sure. It's certainly a stark reminder of the power of the media to engineer interest and shape perception.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom