Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Stadium Plans

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
The Holte End and Trinity Road are way ahead of what we’ve got. The North Stand is about the same age as the Steve Bull with the same issues, whilst the Doug Ellis upper suffers from having the road so close behind.
I only just got in this season and was in the back corner of the Doug Ellis lower, I'd never realised before that you're behind pillars. It's a poor design for a relatively modern stand. Likewise upper concourses make the Steve Bull look palatial. I've been in the North Stand upper (Fa Cup semi) the view was good (too good as it turned out!). Lower is OK too. Never had the joys of the Holte or Trinity.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 28797

A Sligo Rovers fan fell through the stand at their game against Bala Town yesterday

And some folk think Molineux is bad :D
This was away at Bala Town in the Europa Conference and NOT at the Showgrounds.

Just in case there are any Sligo Rovers fans on here, like me!!

The Bit O’ Red !!!

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Virtually right next to each other

mx3L4Z1.jpg

Few other clubs that have stayed close to their original locations

Cardiff probably closest

35Deq1C.jpg

Huddersfield didn’t move far either

cZt95Rc.jpg

Burton

View attachment 25815
Millwall and Hull another two, and Rotherham who have probably had the best ground move of anyone moving into the town centre.
Bringing back an old post, but saw this photo this morning

ACgJYtL.jpg

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Virtually right next to each other

mx3L4Z1.jpg

Few other clubs that have stayed close to their original locations

Cardiff probably closest

35Deq1C.jpg

Huddersfield didn’t move far either

cZt95Rc.jpg

Burton

View attachment 25815
Millwall and Hull another two, and Rotherham who have probably had the best ground move of anyone moving into the town centre.
Spuds? Arsenal moved about a mile and a half.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Forest have planning now for a 38k stadium.

Looks impressive when done

Nottingham Forest stadium expansion set for approval Nottingham Forest stadium expansion set for approval
Looks great! What Forest can do, Wolves can do.. demolish the Steve Bull Stand and build new, like Forest are doing.
Forest are newly promoted to the PL, Wolves starting their fifth season, yet Forest are showing much more stadium ambition than us.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Looks great! What Forest can do, Wolves can do.. demolish the Steve Bull Stand and build new, like Forest are doing.
Forest are newly promoted to the PL, Wolves starting their five season, yet Forest are showing much more stadium ambition than us.
Ahem, remember back before Covid when we were opening shops in China, having fashion shows, winning the South Asia Cup and leaking artists impressions of a 50k seater Molineux? We can all unveil plans

Berlin Wolf

Reaction score
Ahem, remember back before Covid when we were opening shops in China, having fashion shows, winning the South Asia Cup and leaking artists impressions of a 50k seater Molineux? We can all unveil plans
True! We can all unveil plans. But some clubs have activated them like Portsmouth, Fulham, Liverpool and Everton.
Lets see how far Forest get.. and Villa too.. at least they are moving proper plans forward. Covid was not confined to Wolverhampton.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
True! We can all unveil plans. But some clubs have activated them like Portsmouth, Fulham, Liverpool and Everton.
Lets see how far Forest get.. and Villa too.. at least they are moving proper plans forward. Covid was not confined to Wolverhampton.
It’s taken Everton a lifetime to get theirs off the ground. I don’t think it’s the right time economically to do too much, and as people have less expendable income it makes sense not to increase capacity beyond likely demand.

Reaction score
But the overriding point is that pre-Covid Chinese investment in the UK was at a peak, since then the relationship between the two countries has cooled and we know the Chinese Government have told it's companies to pull back from its investment in Football and no doubt behind the scenes it's investment plans in the UK as well (don't ask for proof here I'm no secret global economist).

I remember when Teresa May was in power she was having dinner with Guo and the guys, don't think that's been happening with Boris!

It's not just about the club and it's mega rich owner, unlike others we have global politics hanging over us as well.

Berlin Wolf

Reaction score
But the overriding point is that pre-Covid Chinese investment in the UK was at a peak, since then the relationship between the two countries has cooled and we know the Chinese Government have told it's companies to pull back from its investment in Football and no doubt behind the scenes it's investment plans in the UK as well (don't ask for proof here I'm no secret global economist).

I remember when Teresa May was in power she was having dinner with Guo and the guys, don't think that's been happening with Boris!

It's not just about the club and it's mega rich owner, unlike others we have global politics hanging over us as well.
All of what you have posted VP, has no doubt put the brake on big stadium re-development plans at Molineux which were unveiled.
The club know the Steve Bull Stand in particular, needs urgent improvement, hence Russell Jones mentioning a nine stage plan for that stand.
With not much money to play with, a budget of 16m doesn't get you a brand new side stand, is how the cheaper solution has come about.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Fosun always planned to pull back their investment imo, but the CCP ruling I think limited who they can partner with.
Was actually looking around at some of their usual partners, but couldn't really see any than proper big industrial partners who obviously couldn't give a **** about "diversifying" into football.

Reaction score
All of what you have posted VP, has no doubt put the brake on big stadium re-development plans at Molineux which were unveiled.
The club know the Steve Bull Stand in particular, needs urgent improvement, hence Russell Jones mentioning a nine stage plan for that stand.
With not much money to play with, a budget of 16m doesn't get you a brand new side stand, is how the cheaper solution has come about.
TBH I think the final nail in the coffin was getting involved in the Council's hair-brained regeneration schemes. They can't even finish a pavement and the town centre currently has a monopoly on the UK's supply of red safety barriers and tumbleweed. You couldn't blame Fosun for looking at the debacle the town's become and wonder why they'd invest in any part of the Town's future.

Bet it wouldn't have taken the Chinese seven weeks to refurbish the Civic Hall never mind seven years

Coshamwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
TBH I think the final nail in the coffin was getting involved in the Council's hair-brained regeneration schemes. They can't even finish a pavement and the town centre currently has a monopoly on the UK's supply of red safety barriers and tumbleweed. You couldn't blame Fosun for looking at the debacle the town's become and wonder why they'd invest in any part of the Town's future.

Bet it wouldn't have taken the Chinese seven weeks to refurbish the Civic Hall never mind seven years
Nail on the head and i`ve said this all along that once any future redevelopment came under the Molineux northern quarter regeneration, it will take an eternity, as the Club are now playing second fiddle to the Uni ..which i think quite suits them.

Last edited:

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s taken Everton a lifetime to get theirs off the ground. I don’t think it’s the right time economically to do too much, and as people have less expendable income it makes sense not to increase capacity beyond likely demand.
Just squeeze every penny out the 32000. Far easier than expanding to 40000.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The nine stage theory of development for one stand!!!! Genius.

stuj4z

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Once the replacement for FFP comes in with the new rule that any infrastructure projects count towards profit and sustainability, nothing will ever be done to Molineux again.
No coincidence that all these clubs are pushing through stadium redevelopments now.

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The nine stage theory of development for one stand!!!! Genius.
It’s like the nine stages of grief (we’ve probably seen all of them on this thread)… the final stage being “acceptance”… that it’s not going to happen :D

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know, and maybe that caused certain restrictions which would affect some concerts being held? Maybe Rod had the volume turned down, or had to finish earlier? Bon Jovi was in front of the North Bank, when rules still permitted use of the old access steps down the South Bank end. I honestly have no clue! All I know is that Anfield now has pitch access at both corners either side of the new Main Stand, and we don’t.
There's no electrical sockets that end so for Rod's gig they had to use an extension cord on a reel which the health and safety people moaned about.

Future concerts will need to be from the other end of the stadium unless they get some sockets wired in. They actually bought a set from Wilko, the type with the USB plugs above the main plugs) but because all the electricians went back to Poland post-Brexit there are no immediate plans to install them and future gigs will be from the other end.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Once the replacement for FFP comes in with the new rule that any infrastructure projects count towards profit and sustainability, nothing will ever be done to Molineux again.
No coincidence that all these clubs are pushing through stadium redevelopments now.
Do we know how it will really impact?

Debt and interest payments should come into FFP for infrastructure but capital injections should not impact IMO.

Given the costs of rebuilding a stadium if it is at face value “any expenditure” then that would stop every club from spending money which is not realistic and cannot be the aim - as all clubs at some point need to redo their stadium. Or it would drive clubs to find a way around it eg sell stadium (at commercial rates) and rent it back (which is an FFP impact) and then the owner of the stadium is free to do up stadium outside of FFP.

PS - all irrelevant as no sign to me we are going to do up the stadium - which with rising interest rates I think was a missed opportunity.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Debt and interest payments should come into FFP for infrastructure but capital injections should not impact IMO.

Given the costs of rebuilding a stadium if it is at face value “any expenditure” then that would stop every club from spending money which is not realistic and cannot be the aim - as all clubs at some point need to redo their stadium. Or it would drive clubs to find a way around it eg sell stadium (at commercial rates) and rent it back (which is an FFP impact) and then the owner of the stadium is free to do up stadium outside of FFP.

PS - all irrelevant as no sign to me we are going to do up the stadium - which with rising interest rates I think was a missed opportunity.
Given Wolves' own history (we went bust in 1982 as a result of building a new stand and rising interest rates leading to repayment levels we couldn't afford) we may, unless they could definitely have fixed low interest rates long-term, just possibly have dodged a bullet.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So what's paying the interest payments?
Certainly any intention of covering the building costs over a reasonable period makes cheaper tickets rather unlikely. Off the top of my head l can't think of a single case where a club increased capacity through major construction and cut ticket prices.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Certainly any intention of covering the building costs over a reasonable period makes cheaper tickets rather unlikely. Off the top of my head l can't think of a single case where a club increased capacity through major construction and cut ticket prices.
Need a West Ham type deal where the government effectively builds a brand new stadium and the club picks it up for peanuts.

stuj4z

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Why do you think Real Madrid and Barcelona who are both supposed to be skint have renovated their stadiums now?
None of the Super League clubs will need to do anything to their homes for 50+ years.
It's there to keep the status quo as it always has been

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Need a West Ham type deal where the government effectively builds a brand new stadium and the club picks it up for peanuts.
That suspiciously never gets mentioned when people spaff over West Ham's ticket prices (also never gets mentioned that their owners charge them interest on the loan they gave, which ours never did. I believe to the tune of north of £20M).

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That suspiciously never gets mentioned when people spaff over West Ham's ticket prices (also never gets mentioned that their owners charge them interest on the loan they gave, which ours never did. I believe to the tune of north of £20M).
It was a disgrace they got “gifted” that stadium on that deal. Effectively the UK taxpayer ((or the London rates payer) is subsidising the club. Should be taken account of in FFP or whatever!

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

It was a disgrace they got “gifted” that stadium on that deal. Effectively the UK taxpayer ((or the London rates payer) is subsidising the club. Should be taken account of in FFP or whatever!
100%, the whole affair stinks to high heaven. I note that the original stadium cost ballooned by £50M, the cost estimate provided by the previous Mayor of London naturally..

Back
Top Bottom