Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Stadium Plans

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Guo would have been taking in the steve bull stand for two hours and probably thinking how dilapidated it was looking. Do you think he will knock it down and rebuild it after player recruitment is finalised this summer.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Guo would have been taking in the steve bull stand for two hours and probably thinking how dilapidated it was looking. Do you think he will knock it down and rebuild it after player recruitment is finalised this summer.
The bottom tier I think might get some work done on it

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Not because of that, to my eye it looks fine anyway. You can't see the bruised shins, the 20 minute queue for the loo or the concourse crushes, from across the pitch.

However, if it's true that the funding is back before FFP kicks in harder, then increasing capacity is a must. South Bank expansion is the logical first step though surely?

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The cynical me of a week ago would have said no. More chance of me sleeping with Margot Robbie. But after recent forays into the transfer market, the new optimistic me says, sure, why not, but we will probably get a whole new stadium.

Oh, that's the door, Margot coming round for breakfast. Got to go.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Be nice just to get a steer either way. Not the fosun way though.

We will just be up one day with a new article saying ‘wolves development back on track ‘ etc.

Look forward to it ;)

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Funnily similar thoughts crossed my mind last night. If the rumours of new investment are true, then just as we’ve seen significant investment in the squad, then we may also see stadium plans moving forward. It’s possible that the earlier plans to properly redevelop Molineux will be dusted off to replace the cheaper bit by bit approach outlined earlier this summer.

All speculation, but I could imagine a hybrid approach.

Steve Bull lower closed demolished in the spring (away fans limited to quad during development), with a new larger lower stand built over the spring and summer, so it’s ready for 23/24 season. Square to the pitch, as close as NB is to touchline, and continues into both corners either side albeit with pitch access at both corners for summer concerts.

Steve Bull upper redeveloped through 23/24 season by removing the roof, building a new structure behind the old SBU core, and overlaying a new SBU deck over the old structure and linking to the new lower stand already open. Like the new lower stand, square to the pitch (the curve now lost within the structure below it), but now rising to same height at the NB, with new corporate facilities, and the NE quad completed. Then a new roof is attached to the new rear structure, similar or greater height and style to the NB roof. Inside the new SBU all the old space including offices are made use of, and renovated, so it’s much more spacious and modern. Away fans permanently located in the upper NE corner of the stadium, in the Quad and a section of the new SBU depending on away ticket demand. End result looks like a new stand similar to the vision they showed a few years ago, but avoids the time and expense of demolition of the old core.

Third phase is expansion of a single tier South Bank backwards and upwards, to the same height as the new Steve Bull and with SE corner filled. New spacious concourse in the new rear structure and the work carried out while most of the South Bank remains open. Screens moved to the roof of NB and new South Bank as envisioned by Morgan’s plans.

Total cost around 100m, expanded capacity to the low 40k’s, with enough new seats to more than meet the ST waiting list and the future option to develop the BW to take the stadium to around 50k if warranted.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Funnily similar thoughts crossed my mind last night. If the rumours of new investment are true, then just as we’ve seen significant investment in the squad, then we may also see stadium plans moving forward. It’s possible that the earlier plans to properly redevelop Molineux will be dusted off to replace the cheaper bit by bit approach outlined earlier this summer.

Steve Bull lower closed demolished in the spring (away fans limited to quad during development), with a new larger lower stand built over the spring and summer, so it’s ready for 23/24 season. Square to the pitch, as close as NB is to touchline, and continues into both corners either side albeit with pitch access at both corners for summer concerts.

Steve Bull upper redeveloped through 23/24 season by removing the roof, building a new structure behind the old SBU core, and overlaying a new SBU deck over the old structure and linking to the new lower stand already open. Like the new lower stand, square to the pitch (the curve now lost within the structure below it), but now rising to same height at the NB, with new corporate facilities, and the NE quad completed. Then a new roof is attached to the new rear structure, similar or greater height and style to the NB roof. Inside the new SBU all the old space including offices are made use of, and renovated, so it’s much more spacious and modern. Away fans permanently located in the upper NE corner of the stadium, in the Quad and a section of the new SBU depending on away ticket demand. End result looks like a new stand similar to the vision they showed a few years ago, but avoids the time and expense of demolition of the old core.

Third phase is expansion of a single tier South Bank backwards and upwards, to the same height as the new Steve Bull and with SE corner filled. New spacious concourse in the new rear structure and the work carried out while most of the South Bank remains open. Screens moved to the roof of NB and new South Bank as envisioned by Morgan’s plans.

Total cost around 100m, expanded capacity to the low 40k’s, with enough new seats to more than meet the ST waiting list and the future option to develop the BW to take the stadium to around 50k if warranted.
Would be ideal. Not just for capacity increase but will give us an advantage at home. Home fans close to the pitch

There’s a reason why it’s harder to win away. We need to make it as intimidating as possible

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would be ideal. Not just for capacity increase but will give us an advantage at home. Home fans close to the pitch

There’s a reason why it’s harder to win away. We need to make it as intimidating as possible

I agree. It’s the logical place to put the away fans long term.

As described it sounds much easier just to demolish the old SB structure and build fresh, but this takes time and money. Liverpool and others have demonstrated it’s possible to redevelop around an older structure and still build what looks and feels like a brand new stand. So if sound, then no reason why something similar couldn’t be done to the Steve Bull. Then it’s just a question of how much change is desired. Anything from a low cost renovation to a complete overhaul, which what I described as more like the latter. To fans or passes by, it would be very hard to tell the old structure was still there hidden within as everything visible would be entirely new, even the stand’s footprint. It’s more complex for the architects to fit all the desired facilities into it, but the volume is there, they just have to work around the old concrete core when fitting in floors and facilities.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

To some degree you’d end up making compromises having to build over and around the old core structure.
I do suspect sometimes it’s over stated the difficulty of demolishing the old stand entirely. Fulham have just built over a river! We fret over knocking down some big concrete pillars!!
Just knock the whole thing down.
(Could get lower tier removed during season then soon as season ends knock rest down and start rebuilding, wouldn’t be too long before new lower tier was useable).

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Reckon you double that price with cost of materials and labour nowadays.

Wonder what funding model would look like, club takes loan with Fosun supporting down-payment & guaranteeing loan to keep interest rates lower?

Perhaps they foot the bill to help FFP and just draw some revenue back out of the club to get ROI on it (I'd be fine with, we aren't entitled to a free lunch)

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To some degree you’d end up making compromises having to build over and around the old core structure.
I do suspect sometimes it’s over stated the difficulty of demolishing the old stand entirely. Fulham have just built over a river! We fret over knocking down some big concrete pillars!!
(Could get lower tier removed during season then soon as season ends knock rest down and start rebuilding, wouldn’t be too long before new lower tier was useable).

Said it before, that whether you demolish the old Steve Bull stand entirely or not, that the lower stand could be demolished and at least partially rebuilt while the rest of the stand remained open. We saw that when they did the work in the NE corner, and we know that the core of the existing stand was built before the lower tiers were built. Realistically, the lower stand, because it’s away fans and not home STH’s, could be closed part way through a season demolished while the season continues, and rebuilt so that it’s ready for the start of the next season.

It’s been estimated by both Morgan and now Fosun that demolition of the whole Steve Bull would take a year, and then another 1-2 years to build a completely new stand. There is a lot of concrete in that stand, so it’s not quick or cheap to remove. Phasing the lower stand work as above can help to a degree, but it won’t eliminate the impact entirely. The lost revenue from the SBU and boxes alone is a few million, on top of the demolition cost. If that can be avoided by incorporating the old core into a redeveloped stand without requiring significant compromises in the final design, then why wouldn’t you do that?

Of course, if the Qataris are indeed to put money in, then they could finance a far more ambitious project at very attractive interest rates. If so, forget everything I’ve said, buy the Asda site, temporarily move Wolves to another stadium and rebuild Molineux completely as a state of the art stadium. :)

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reckon you double that price with cost of materials and labour nowadays.

Wonder what funding model would look like, club takes loan with Fosun supporting down-payment & guaranteeing loan to keep interest rates lower?

Perhaps they foot the bill to help FFP and just draw some revenue back out of the club to get ROI on it (I'd be fine with, we aren't entitled to a free lunch)

See my last post. If rumours of Qatari investment are true and come to fruition, then they would be a potential source of much more competitive finance for the club. Still debt on the club’s books to be repaid, but with long term low interest fixed rates, it would massively derisk the project for the club. The Qataris take a large minority equity stake so generate their returns through a combination of equity growth in the club and interest on money loaned to the club.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

See my last post. If rumours of Qatari investment are true and come to fruition, then they would be a potential source of much more competitive finance for the club. Still debt on the club’s books to be repaid, but with long term low interest fixed rates, it would massively derisk the project for the club. The Qataris take a large minority equity stake so generate their returns through a combination of equity growth in the club and interest on money loaned to the club.
I've had a look at that firm speculated, I am very unconvinced that they have the capital that is being banded around. Not a big firm whatsoever candidly (can't remember the bloody name now but looked into them).

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've had a look at that firm speculated, I am very unconvinced that they have the capital that is being banded around. Not a big firm whatsoever candidly (can't remember the bloody name now but looked into them).
That would be a shame. The Qataris in general have an immense amount of capital to invest. Would be a shame if we couldn’t connect with one of the better funded ventures. From experience they also have companies based in Europe which don’t appear well funded on paper, but are backed by the state so have effectively unlimited reserves to back investments. Did a large deal with one some years back.

NewOrder306

Groupie
Reaction score
Plenty of World Cup stadiums coming down after the WC, maybe drop one onto the I-54 !!!:eek:

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
I seem to remember pre-Covid the Rhetoric was about getting involved with the Council and the University and Molineux becoming an integral part of the City's regeneration plans.

Maybe having seen the inability of the Council to refurb a concert venue within a seven year period, let alone the complete **** up they've made of the town centre by digging the whole thing up to lay some block paving (Nick Knowles would have had it done in a week!), Fosun have been trying to extricate themselves from any agreement and will go it alone.

My preference is that Fosun, as China's UK Business Lead, approach the Dept of Levelling Up (or whatever they're called this week) and offer to take over the Regen from the Council and crack on with it all, before dis town is coming like a ghost town.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Plenty of World Cup stadiums coming down after the WC, maybe drop one onto the I-54 !!!:eek:

Not sure this one is ideal for Molineux, but it’s designed to be taken apart and rebuilt somewhere else, wholly or in parts. Maybe a cheap and cheerful replacement for the Steve Bull stand!

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree. Just level it. In stages.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was thinking this myself. Buy a modular stadium from Qatar, they could probably keep the outdoor A/C system though.

The fact it's modular means it can be built in stages at Molineux as the old ground is demolished.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sure the rules are squeezing to get rid of loopholes with regard to stadium building, so Fosun gifting us a stadium is probably out of the question.

However our circumstances are slightly different aren't they? We own our stadium but lease the land. Can Fosun gift a renovated stadium to Wolverhampton council in order to circumvent FFP rules?

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sure the rules are squeezing to get rid of loopholes with regard to stadium building, so Fosun gifting us a stadium is probably out of the question.

However our circumstances are slightly different aren't they? We own our stadium but lease the land. Can Fosun gift a renovated stadium to Wolverhampton council in order to circumvent FFP rules?
Really don’t think they would even if they could.

I think if they did anything substantial to the stadium they’d be looking for outside investment to help pay for it.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On a slightly delicate note, I seem to remember when north bank was built it being stated that we had to have the disabled bays as they are due to regulation regarding that sort of access. I’m sure it was said disabled areas had to be available in all stands at all levels? However I don’t notice them in Liverpool’s new stands or Tottenhams ?

Maybe the north bank is done as it is because the rest of our stadium has such poor facilities this way?

The areas just seem to stand out more than in other stadiums; I wonder if the people in them feel isolated? They surely could have been designed better.

De Wolfs Mullet

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not sure this one is ideal for Molineux, but it’s designed to be taken apart and rebuilt somewhere else, wholly or in parts. Maybe a cheap and cheerful replacement for the Steve Bull stand!

It's funny you say that. I went to see Gloucester City play in National North a while back, and their main stand is built from shipping containers. Quite a clever and cheap way of doing things.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
On a slightly delicate note, I seem to remember when north bank was built it being stated that we had to have the disabled bays as they are due to regulation regarding that sort of access. I’m sure it was said disabled areas had to be available in all stands at all levels? However I don’t notice them in Liverpool’s new stands or Tottenhams ?

Maybe the north bank is done as it is because the rest of our stadium has such poor facilities this way?

The areas just seem to stand out more than in other stadiums; I wonder if the people in them feel isolated? They surely could have been designed better.
IIRC it was both the need for access at all levels, and the wheelchair ‘bays’ needing to be fire retardant (hence the big walls) to keep wheelchair users safe during a lengthy evacuation. Though as you say other new stadiums seem to blend them in better.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

For me the stadium is going to be the tell-tale sign of why the purse strings loosened. If it’s because China want to use Wolves/Fosun as good PR (as some think) then a new stadium would be fast tracked. If it’s because Guo wants them to show more ambition within their means (as I think) then the club will stick with the current plan.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Put one of these up somewhere out near compton for a year. Rebuild Molineux. Then keep a smaller version of the temp stadium for academy & womens teams.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Put one of these up somewhere out near compton for a year. Rebuild Molineux. Then keep a smaller version of the temp stadium for academy & womens teams.
Trouble is the Council would have to sort out access, them and roadworks are a never ending combination. Will just end up with loads of red barriers on the roads of Compton and Finchfield for the next ten years.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

They're awful. I've walked down there at pitch side. It does feel completely removed from the stand. Really bad design.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's funny you say that. I went to see Gloucester City play in National North a while back, and their main stand is built from shipping containers. Quite a clever and cheap way of doing things.

My daughter did one of her Masters internships at Gloucester. Friendly club. They wanted to offer a job as full time sports scientist and physio after she qualified but couldn’t really compete with Middlesbrough, where she ended up. Boro being a Cat 1 academy and Boro being the team she supports! While she would have been part of the first team coaching staff at Gloucester, and she’s started as a physio at Boro’s academy, the progression to a Champ or PL first team physio is easier starting in a top academy than a non league team.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My daughter did one of her Masters internships at Gloucester. Friendly club. They wanted to offer a job as full time sports scientist and physio after she qualified but couldn’t really compete with Middlesbrough, where she ended up. Boro being a Cat 1 academy and Boro being the team she supports! While she would have been part of the first team coaching staff at Gloucester, and she’s started as a physio at Boro’s academy, the progression to a Champ or PL first team physio is easier starting in a top academy than a non league team.
Middlesbrough supporter, where on earth did you go wrongo_Oo_Oo_O:tearsofjoy:

De Wolfs Mullet

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Wow! I have a season ticket at Leamington who are in the same league as Gloucester. Leamington's idea of sports science is very much of the bucket and sponge variety!

Leamington are also part time and very much punching above their weight in the division. Guess it shows how much budgets can vary at that level.

Back
Top Bottom