Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not just Tielemans:

“Tielemans is one of 10 players now in the final year of their contracts. Caglar Soyuncu, Ayoze Perez, Daniel Amartey, Mendy, Choudhury, Ryan Bertrand, Jamie Vardy, Jonny Evans and captain Kasper Schmeichel will all be free agents next summer as things stand.”

As someone in the comments has mentioned, despite generally being perceived to have done good business every year, the build up of duds in the squad on good money who don’t want to/can’t be moved on has built up and is resulting in a bloated squad that needs a refresh but they’re unable to because of the amount of money tied up in wages.

This is the thing when people complain about their own clubs business in comparison to [insert club here], you only really look that what they did right compared to the full picture of your own club.

Also, as that clubs day in the sun falls away you expect your club to now be as good as the next one to come through and have a purple period.

It was Southampton, now doing a Southampton isn’t a good thing anymore apparently, then it was Leicester, that’s turning too. Currently it’s West Ham. Next will be Villa/Newcastle if they get their recruitment right or perhaps Brighton if they can progress again this season despite us leapfrogging all of those clubs in recent years.

The reality is for any club outside of the top 6 it’s incredibly difficult to bridge the gap or even sustain your place as best of the rest, even when you do throw money at it.

A lot more luck involved in the success of clubs outside the top 6 than people realise. Leicester seem well run, but they might well have been relegated without the good fortune to unearth two top players in Kante and Mahrez.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks Benteke makes sense. Not saying I want the signing. But he's a Target man that knows the league, available and can cover us upfront. Not going to be great but not many are better then him in the air.
He's crap and on big money.... Why in God's name would we sign a player whose best years were a decade or so ago at the Vile?

Sidaway

Reaction score
Why not? It’s our first friendly with fans since COVID and the day after Fabio’s loan (which was agreed for weeks) was announced.
Think you’re clutching a bit there mate.

I’m sure a new first team signing would be buzzing to be announced at a pre-season friendly in Benidorm infront of a few hundred Wolves fans…

Madmalc

Reaction score
A rumour from our very own Molineux Mix News Feed:

He might do a good Frank Wignall, come on, throw his weight around, cause completely different problems for a defence, make his presence felt and grab a few goals.

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think you’re clutching a bit there mate.

I’m sure a new first team signing would be buzzing to be announced at a pre-season friendly in Benidorm infront of a few hundred Wolves fans…
This is 100% clutching - but wouldn’t a player want to be announced to actual physical fans than just a tweet from the team?

R

reanswolf

I don't particularly want him, but for a change, someone who can actually win a cross, and will get stuck in for a header.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not just Tielemans:

“Tielemans is one of 10 players now in the final year of their contracts. Caglar Soyuncu, Ayoze Perez, Daniel Amartey, Mendy, Choudhury, Ryan Bertrand, Jamie Vardy, Jonny Evans and captain Kasper Schmeichel will all be free agents next summer as things stand.”

As someone in the comments has mentioned, despite generally being perceived to have done good business every year, the build up of duds in the squad on good money who don’t want to/can’t be moved on has built up and is resulting in a bloated squad that needs a refresh but they’re unable to because of the amount of money tied up in wages.

This is the thing when people complain about their own clubs business in comparison to [insert club here], you only really look that what they did right compared to the full picture of your own club.

Also, as that clubs day in the sun falls away you expect your club to now be as good as the next one to come through and have a purple period.

It was Southampton, now doing a Southampton isn’t a good thing anymore apparently, then it was Leicester, that’s turning too. Currently it’s West Ham. Next will be Villa/Newcastle if they get their recruitment right or perhaps Brighton if they can progress again this season despite us leapfrogging all of those clubs in recent years.

The reality is for any club outside of the top 6 it’s incredibly difficult to bridge the gap or even sustain your place as best of the rest, even when you do throw money at it.
Typical SSN reporting of a non top six club, they only mentioned Tielemans! Leicester could be on the precipice of a real problem

As frustrating as it was that we didn't strengthen in January when well in the hunt for at least a top six spot, throwing money at going for Europe is stupid unless you can guarantee staying there. You might have your day(s) in the sun, but you'll eventually get burnt

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m holding onto the hope that a new signing will be announced at the friendly tomorrow.

I would say zero chance of that. My hunch is nothing is imminent with regards to any incomings. They've let players go before and not replaced them. MGW is a classic example last summer.
It is annoying that yet again Raul is left as the only no9 at present. This has happened before.

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would say zero chance of that. My hunch is nothing is imminent with regards to any incomings. They've let players go before and not replaced them. MGW is a classic example last summer.
Yeah, and I’ve made that argument as well, but the E&S lads (invited to training by the team) have said that a striker is definitely coming in, just maybe not this week. I doubt Wolves would let them say that if there wasn’t some truth there.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yup, and when they did win the league and get into the Champions League the big boys picked off their best players. Some made the argument our best ones would still have stayed
Our best players would stay... until the big boys started lining them up and offering them £250k a week, collectively clipping our wings

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is all I'll say on the whole ITK debate.

Football is a workplace and, broader than that, a pretty small community. In any industry you get people who gossip, who share info, and who have opinions about what their employer is up to. And like any industry, that info will vary from person to person and sometimes be wholly contradictory. Go to the pub with a shelf stacker from a supermarket, you'll get opinions about what's going on in the shop. Go to the pub with a shift leader you'll get different opinions. Go to the pub with the manager you'll get different opinions again. Are any of those opinions right or wrong? Depends. Is the information they pass on about changes to the company going to be 100% nailed on? Not ever.

A friend of mine is working on a tv show that's set to start filming soon. Each time we talk, plans have radically changed. Someone who was CONTRACTED to do a thing is nolonger doing the thing. Someone they'd never thought to approach in the first place is now thinking over an offer. Things change.

Some people doubtless come here to make up info and have fun watching what happens. Others get genuine snippets and pass them on. Others still will have pretty solid info but, because of how they get that info, would never dream of sharing it on a messageboard. And even the most genuine info is prone to change at a moment's notice if Scott Dann picks up the phone at the wrong moment or Greg Halford tweets out something stupid. Or whatever the reason the Nick Powell thing got called off even after he was in being photographed in the shirt - I forget the reason.

We all chip in on threads about RUMOURS. We should take them for what they are and not get angry if they don't pan out. Just enjoy the ride.

I'm quite chilled at the moment.I was like a lot of you where we are fed up with having no signings.But the thing that's got me is hearing we are still after players that dow want to come here.Now that's really ****ed me off.I dow care how good they are but they ay no good to us if they're ony here cuz nobody else has bid for em.I heard from a mate who has worked at wolves for years that the young uns are really impressing Bruno,Morgan.Luke.and Co are working their hoofs eh I mean socks off.So I'm gonna wait till these friendlies are over before I start me pant wetting.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was reported wasn't it that he wanted two years of the same wage but we was only interested in offering him 1.

Then when he was signed, it said he came back as he was told he'd be a major player for us this season
I would still be very surprised if we needed to offer him £100k per week. What would he have got at Porto even on a free transfer?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, and I’ve made that argument as well, but the E&S lads (invited to training by the team) have said that a striker is definitely coming in, just maybe not this week. I doubt Wolves would let them say that if there wasn’t some truth there.

I watched the video they seemed to suggest we have to sign a striker but not saying one is definitely signing. The impression I got from that video is neither thought anything was imminent unless I am mistaken.

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watched the video they seemed to suggest we have to sign a striker but not saying one is definitely signing. The impression I got from that video is neither thought anything was imminent unless I am mistaken.
I think that’s right, but they did mention how quickly Collins was signed (unless that the TW podcast)

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neither thought it was an urgency either which is quite astonishing looking at the scoring rate of Hwang and Raul last season. Hwang to his defence was often played on the wing, but before he joined us, he'd scored zero in 20 games for Leipzig.

His goalrate at Salzburg suggests he can score goals. But consistently at this level?

And then Raul, forever a Wolves hero. But only 6 goals last season, and more sadly looking a shadow of his former self..

We needed a new striker even before Silva left...

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm quite chilled at the moment.I was like a lot of you where we are fed up with having no signings.But the thing that's got me is hearing we are still after players that dow want to come here.Now that's really ****ed me off.I dow care how good they are but they ay no good to us if they're ony here cuz nobody else has bid for em.I heard from a mate who has worked at wolves for years that the young uns are really impressing Bruno,Morgan.Luke.and Co are working their hoofs eh I mean socks off.So I'm gonna wait till these friendlies are over before I start me pant wetting.
Good post. And we do need to demonstrate to youngsters that there's a pathway to the first team squad. However, we still need a striker, especially with Fabio going for the season. That aside, good luck to the youngsters this season

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neither thought it was an urgency either which is quite astonishing looking at the scoring rate of Hwang and Raul last season. Hwang to his defence was often played on the wing, but before he joined us, he'd scored zero in 20 games for Leipzig.

His goalrate at Salzburg suggests he can score goals. But consistently at this level?

And then Raul, forever a Wolves hero. But only 6 goals last season, and more sadly looking a shadow of his former self..

We needed a new striker even before Silva left...
Totally agree. To be honest they seemed to even think if we don’t get a striker in by Leeds it shouldn’t be a panic as we will want the right player. One problem guys. We have one striker and we have been here before.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think the problem is more creating chances than missing them. Hwang has missed a couple of sitters tbf but I can barely remember Raul missing a sitter all season. He tends to stick his chances away. But he spends most of his games trying to do stuff away from the goal, which then takes us back to the style issue and the type of football we played for the vast majority of last season. Very dull. Even when we were playing okay and picking up points, think about Leeds away and clinging on for dear life for 80 mins, Villa away where we got battered for 80 mins then something wild happened, etc. Very few games I thought we played really well in. I remember West Ham at home being a fully deserved win and good performance. Spurs away we had a great first 50 mins. Watford at home. But I genuinely can’t remember many others during the season. It was all a bit meh after the opening few games where we played well and ridiculously lost them all.

So let’s see what the next few weeks bring. But buying a striker changes nothing unless everything changes behind Raul/new striker too.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess it’s possible an announcement was due today but has been deferred out of respect to Keith Pearson

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I can hope we bring someone in but I have a feeling it may be August before a next first-team signing

Is that what I want no, but could maybe see it happening

4 friendly's this week, then two games next Saturday, I also think it wont be starters but good options for both striker and cm depending on what Bruno thinks

Besides there's weeks of the window after leads, we lost our first 3 last season to begin with, but let's see what Bruno is cooking up currently, the team have been working hard afterall

Madmalc

Reaction score
May be the 5 substitutes rule means Bruno is going to mix it up a bit, young legs and old heads, swapping for old heads and young legs..

The under 23/21s didn't have a problem scoring goals last season and there have been very few loaned out so far.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
18 days until the season starts, still so much work to do! Tick tock Jeffery!! Striker and midfielder needed at the absolute bare minimum

I know everyone is fixed on August 6th but they also must remember that the window closes long after that

I'd hope we would have a backup striker in by then however cm would mean we have 6 ( current by Spain squad, Neves, Moutinho, Donk, Cundle, Ronan) on the books not including Jordao whatever he is doing.

Need to move two on either sale or at least a loan for Cundle

R

reanswolf

Think the problem is more creating chances than missing them. Hwang has missed a couple of sitters tbf but I can barely remember Raul missing a sitter all season. He tends to stick his chances away. But he spends most of his games trying to do stuff away from the goal, which then takes us back to the style issue and the type of football we played for the vast majority of last season. Very dull. Even when we were playing okay and picking up points, think about Leeds away and clinging on for dear life for 80 mins, Villa away where we got battered for 80 mins then something wild happened, etc. Very few games I thought we played really well in. I remember West Ham at home being a fully deserved win and good performance. Spurs away we had a great first 50 mins. Watford at home. But I genuinely can’t remember many others during the season. It was all a bit meh after the opening few games where we played well and ridiculously lost them all.

So let’s see what the next few weeks bring. But buying a striker changes nothing unless everything changes behind Raul/new striker too.
Bang on.

Wellington Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Not a scoobies what you've said but I think I agree 100%.
We've invested massively in the academy over the last few years and the only way we attract the best young talent is to blood them and give them a chance to shine. If not then the best young talent won't come here. Pointless building an academy to sell player to Birmingham for nominal fees.
This is the only way clubs like us can get close to the sky 6 and so we have to give these lads the chance.

Imo opinion anyway!

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just for anyone who thinks I’m crazy for thinking a new signing could be announced at the friendly tomorrow, Dybala is basically being announced at tonight’s Sporting/Roma friendly.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Very good point...
I'd say midfield is key to that. Either if we:
- Play 4 at the back, but have 2 mobile midfielders, that covers a lot of ground and are able to win the ball back fast
Or:
- Play our usual 5 at the back, but have at least one midfielder able to change pace, and run win the ball, as well as join in attack.

At the moment of course, the midfield issue hasnt been adressed..
I think there's a hope, that having 2 ballplaying central defenders in Collins and Killman will help, which is obviously will, as they'll both be able to come forward and play as an extra midfielder.
But will it be enough?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Yep, even a lot of the really good wins as well it wasn't like we had a myriad of chances in them for the most part. So you leave yourself open to getting sucker punched which nearly happened vs Everton at home that springs straight to mind.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
With patience being a virtue again this window, I think success would be us bringing in 3 first team ready players:

(CB) Collins
(CM) Nunes
(ST) Ramos or better

+ 2 First team prospects

+ keeping Neves, MGW and Traore.

I think that would be a success and would show that fosun will invest when the correct business plan is proposed to them.

With Nunes it's rumbling on could his price get lower further through the window? Are sporting needing cash?

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With patience being a virtue again this window, I think success would be us bringing in 3 first team ready players:

(CB) Collins
(CM) Nunes
(ST) Ramos or better

+ 2 First team prospects

+ keeping Neves, MGW and Traore.
Would be a superb window. I seriously doubt that this sort of ambitious window will even cross Shi and Sellars mind.

Back
Top Bottom