Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

City Verdict

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Man City are world class, but we made it look like a training game for the most part. Their players constantly in acres of space, they could have scored 10 and it wouldn't have flattered them at all.

Coady and Donk standout of the dreadful players tonight.

Playing it out from 2 yards and tapping it around our goal line with a high City press was suicidal, and should have been punished even more than it was. Insane tactics.

Chiquino did well.

To me this game sums up how we've regressed from the high point these past few years, we've generally at least given City a game.
This is a damn good summary.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
5-1 flattered City. They could have scored 8. Wolves is a million miles from being the type of team that Fosun suggested they wanted us to be when they took over. While we huffed and puffed, the difference in class stood out a mile. Unfortunately, we caught City at their best whereas we were slightly better than our worst, whereas in the past, we've played them with a good deal more confidence and nous from Nuno.
The most enjoyable bit for me was the three minutes between Dendoncker's goal and City's second; after that there was only going to be one outcome and it was just a question of how many!
I don't think any Wolves' played covered himself in glory and too many were below their best or even an acceptable standard. If Fosun is serious in taking us to the top 6 or even 4 (and I'm not sure they are), then this game has shown the gulf between a decent side, on our day and the very best. It's enormous!
Roll-on the end of the season and let's see how serious we are, because we still have Liverpool at Anfield and they won't be any-less formidable than City were last night.

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I felt for RAN as thought he was given the ball too many times when he had no time or space and had nowhere to go.
Literally, nowhere.

Thought he played very well, one our very few players who is prepared to take a player on. He's going to be a very, very good player in a few years time, great feet. Had a few really poor balls from Moutinho and Boly to deal with last night and did well to even keep the ball in play and not lose possession. MOTM for me.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First one debatable, probs 60-40 in favour of a pen personally, second one on Neto definitely wasn't. Looked it in real time but clearly not on replay.
It certainly wasn't no. The fact some still chirp on about it being one and the how the ref was obviously against us after seeing the replay just shows that for some reason people need to find an excuse for when we're hammered/****/outplayed as they just can't accept that sometimes we just aren't either A. Very good or B. We come up against a far far better team

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The worst thing about the match is that we got hammered by a team that didn't even have a striker on the pitch!!

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You know…..there’s not much to say…..

Wolves were bad.

Sadly…….oh dear lord…
.…very sadly ……City were going through us like we were a playground

sswolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Men v boys. Beaten by one of the best team in the world.

Wolves above average premier league team. It’s going to take years to get to Man City level that’s if wolves ever do

Got to remember It’s taken Man City from 2008 under the current owners to get to where they are. Previous owner the Thai businessman only owned them for a year.

beppe7619

Reaction score
If we are going to play 4-4-2 we need a defender with pace who can sniff trouble and cut it out in its tracks.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah i saw a 3. I think it might have tried to be a sort of flexible, 3 without ball 4 with it but was just a mess

Was probably a 5 but Chiquinho was massively higher than Ait-Nouri was on the left which meant it looked like we were playing a 4 at times when there were quick turnovers in midfield. Didn't look pretty anyway, very disjointed
This.

Put the summaries together and you get "very disjointed mess".

Don't mind getting beaten by one of the best 4 sides on this planet, but the lack of a coherent well-drilled strategy when defending was unforgivable.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m 40 with a dodgy knee and I think I’d have had a chance of outpacing most of our central defence and midfield last night. We need to address this. City were just waltzing through us. Got absolutely nowhere near them. Don’t think we even picked up a booking did we?

City are on a different planet, but I dare say they will be very pleased with how we decided to set up last night as it let them put on a bit of an exhibition for everyone. Very thoughtful of us.

The end must be nigh here for a number of players here? A few are certainly playing like it. Big changes are needed or we could be in big trouble next season. Boly for example looks utterly shot. Tbh If we could get decent money for Donk or Coady I’d probably rip someones arm off.

Who’d honestly be shocked to see a limp defeat to Norwich followed by a thumping at Anfield? Then what? What a dire and deflating 3 months or so this has been. The summer is massive

Last edited:

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve said City were brilliant but you can see how they rely upon tactical/cynical fouling as part of their game when it comes to defending and they are very good at it (we are terrible at it btw).

There were times we got the wrong side of them and could (imv should) have had more rewards for doing so. A couple of players walking a yellow card tight rope and going 3-2 instead of 4-1 could well have made it a different game, I think there were enough opportunities for the referee to have given those couple yellows and a pen.

Totally agree with your comments on Atkinson. City's tactic of choice was a wrist pull. They did it about 10 to 15 times througout the game whenever our players were getting past them and they never once got penalised for it. Should have been several yellows. Stopping the game for a non head injury when we were in an attacking position is another disgrace. Atkinson was sickingly deferential to City all night. All of their subbed players were shaking his hand on the way off and I'm not surprised.

I'm not complaing at the scoreline but I am absolutely sick of Premier League reffing. The constant unchallenged bias is a disgrace IMO. We were comfortably beaten and the 1-5 scoreline flattered us but even though we were played off the park I still like to see a fair game and 99% of the time when we are playing the top 6 we never see it. TBH I'm getting to the point where I think **** it I cant be bothered this constant one sided PGMOL *******s.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree with your comments on Atkinson. City's tactic of choice was a wrist pull. They did it about 10 to 15 times througout the game whenever our players were getting past them and they never once got penalised for it. Should have been several yellows. Stopping the game for a non head injury when we were in an attacking position is another disgrace. Atkinson was sickingly deferential to City all night. All of their subbed players were shaking his hand on the way off and I'm not surprised.

I'm not complaing at the scoreline but I am absolutely sick of Premier League reffing. The constant unchallenged bias is a disgrace IMO. We were comfortably beaten and the 1-5 scoreline flattered us but even though we were played off the park I still like to see a fair game and 99% of the time when we are playing the top 6 we never see it. TBH I'm getting to the point where I think **** it I cant be bothered this constant one sided PGMOL *******s.
Post of the year, I’m actually thinking I’d the championship better as the bias towards the top 6 is unbelievable. To not get one of 3 penalty calls? I still remember the Sterling one at theirs or the Mahrez one 2 years ago, don’t even mention the moutinho handball. They battered us but the complete lack of a level playing fiend from refs is beyond a joke

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This.

Put the summaries together and you get "very disjointed mess".

Don't mind getting beaten by one of the best 4 sides on this planet, but the lack of a coherent well-drilled strategy when defending was unforgivable.
We didn't defend, basically. When we had the ball we tried to go forward, which is good and why we look at last night like we tried to have a go at them, when we didn't have the ball though we didn't do any of the ugly stuff that you need to do against a side like Man City to have any chance of a result. From a defensive point of view, we did seem to play it like a training match

Narfolk Wolf

Reaction score
Outclassed by the best side in the world. Thought we looked alright going forward but our centre-halves have been in an awful run for a couple of months now. Love Coady and Boly (and Saiss) but there is definitely a discussion to be held around the defence next season.

Thought Raul and Ait-Nouri played relatively well. Neves and Moutinho understandably struggled and Sa didn’t cover himself in glory for a couple of the goals.

Chiquinho was exciting but still not convinced he will be ready to start regularly at this level. Huge potential there though and a great Plan B.

Sa 5
Jonny 5
Coady 5
Boly 5
Chiquinho 7
Neves 5
Moutinho 5
Dendoncker 6
Ait-Nouri 6
Raul 7
Neto 6

Need to get more athleticism and mobility throughout the side, but particularly at centre-half and in midfield.

No shame in losing to that City side and I can handle defeat when you at least work hard and try to have a go, which we did. Have just lost the defensive stability which kept us in games earlier in the season.

Lots of big decisions to make in the Summer around both the Manager and some players who have been absolute heroes for the club.
The only bits I differ on is our front 2. I thought their movement was very poor.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What were the verdicts on the penalty shouts from those who've seen them properly? I thought Chiquinho was unlucky, felt Zinchenko got him before getting the ball, but couldn't see either of the other two clearly

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was probably a 5 but Chiquinho was massively higher than Ait-Nouri was on the left which meant it looked like we were playing a 4 at times when there were quick turnovers in midfield. Didn't look pretty anyway, very disjointed.
That makes sense.

BridgnorthWolf Inc

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

100%.

I find it astonishing that more do not feel like this.
The sickening bias is so obvious!

Sycophantic, fawning and frankly corrupt refereeing.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't normally watch city games that closely, but it's v clever how they play ( if like wolves the other team are daft enough to do it )
Wolves set up with 2 lines , a back 5 ish and a midfield 3 in front ( that should have been a rigid midfield 4 ) ....those lines have to be close to eachother when city have the ball to allow no space in between!
But....when city couldn't get space, they go backwards,even as far as edderson ...then daftly our midfield line go chasing the ball, leaving a 20 yard gap for debruyne and 4 other city players to fill that gap, and can't be marked...then they score

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ouch.

Well done Chiquinho ... almost our only player with the athleticism and strength to get anywhere near them and rattle a few ankles.

We need a good summer otherwise next season might be difficult. Is that 11 defeats out of 16 now? What’s happened?

Wolves Bard

Reaction score
Outclassed by the best side in the world. Thought we looked alright going forward but our centre-halves have been in an awful run for a couple of months now. Love Coady and Boly (and Saiss) but there is definitely a discussion to be held around the defence next season.

Thought Raul and Ait-Nouri played relatively well. Neves and Moutinho understandably struggled and Sa didn’t cover himself in glory for a couple of the goals.

Chiquinho was exciting but still not convinced he will be ready to start regularly at this level. Huge potential there though and a great Plan B.

Sa 5
Jonny 5
Coady 5
Boly 5
Chiquinho 7
Neves 5
Moutinho 5
Dendoncker 6
Ait-Nouri 6
Raul 7
Neto 6

Need to get more athleticism and mobility throughout the side, but particularly at centre-half and in midfield.

No shame in losing to that City side and I can handle defeat when you at least work hard and try to have a go, which we did. Have just lost the defensive stability which kept us in games earlier in the season.

Lots of big decisions to make in the Summer around both the Manager and some players who have been absolute heroes for the club.
Leicester had six put past them at man city. I reflect we are similar to Leicester going through a transition. Things are not as bad as they seem.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't normally watch city games that closely, but it's v clever how they play ( if like wolves the other team are daft enough to do it )
Wolves set up with 2 lines , a back 5 ish and a midfield 3 in front ( that should have been a rigid midfield 4 ) ....those lines have to be close to eachother when city have the ball to allow no space in between!
But....when city couldn't get space, they go backwards,even as far as edderson ...then daftly our midfield line go chasing the ball, leaving a 20 yard gap for debruyne and 4 other city players to fill that gap, and can't be marked...then they score
I agree. Our tactics weren’t right tonight ... not that it would have made much difference. I’d add playing a relatively high defensive line as plain wrong ... especially when the back 3 have the collective pace of a wounded Brian the snail.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why were city allowed so many cynical fouls without a card? They were at it from the very start.
Mourinho has been moaning about this since Pep’s Barca days. They know exactly where and how to foul. It’s so effective that the fans of the player fouled applaud the player for “winning” the free kick.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree. Our tactics weren’t right tonight ... not that it would have made much difference. I’d add playing a relatively high defensive line as plain wrong ... especially when the back 3 have the collective pace of a wounded Brian the snail.
That's funny , but true.
First goal Coady let Bernardo bring the ball down , read the match program, and pass it...cos Coady knew if he tried to tackle him he d still be turning round to run after him

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The Rebuild begins.

1. Sa
2. ?
3. ?
4. Kilman
5. ?
6. ?
7. RAN
8. ?
9. ?
10. ?
11. Chiquinho
For me the jury is still out on RAN. His final delivery is usually poor and anyway he usually stops and passes back when we are on a break and the opposition is unbalanced allowing them to reset.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ouch.

Well done Chiquinho ... almost our only player with the athleticism and strength to get anywhere near them and rattle a few ankles.

We need a good summer otherwise next season might be difficult. Is that 11 defeats out of 16 now? What’s happened?
Chiquinho didn't give a monkeys who these world class opponents were ..
Others back off city and Liverpool players

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was quite obvious really as he was moving around just to go man to man on him , close the space and try to stifle the time and space he had all game which we didn't do and let him stroll around the pitch like he owned it....even a shirt pull or a tactical foul stops the 3rd goal yet we did nothing.
We watched him stroll around and play whatever game he wanted to play. The midfield couldn’t keep up with his bursting runs but they ALL still played further forward. At least one of them needed to sit deeper and actually pick him up from time to time.

HKWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I had sympathy for Lage after the January transfer window when he was shafted by the 2 incompetents (Shi and Sellars), but he’s now joined their club and also needs sacking.

There was no change in approach last night. It was the same old negative, boring, bull**** formation with merely Saiss out, Boly moved over, Jonny pushed across and Chiquinho in Jonnys place. If Lage had any balls or even a brain, he would have seen the state of their defence and attacked them. We were never going to get anything having Coady standing in the centre of a line of 5 marking absolutely no one. There was no one to even mark other than De Bruyne 20 yards ahead of him but behind a midfield 3 totally out numbered thanks to our players holding hands in a line of 5 by our penalty box.

Last night should have been 4 at the back and we should have tried to attack the 50 year old Fernandinho. At least by attacking them we would have kept them further away from our goal.

The other thing about Lage are the subs. We were getting absolutely battered yet all he did was swap Trincao and Hwang for Raul and Neto. What a joke and how exactly is putting another winger out of position supposed to help?

We were absolutely destroyed last night playing a negative park the bus formation, and it should/could have been 10. Had we gone for it can anyone seriously think it would have been worse? As far as I’m concerned last night was ****ing pathetic and cowardly, we achieved nothing by being so defensive and I want him out.

The only player to come out with any credit last night was Chiquinho. I feel sorry for him being expected play right back and right winger at the same time.

Notsoslimshady

Groupie
Reaction score
When i saw the team i figured it was either Donk in the back 3 with Chiquinho in the front 3, or Jonny as CB with Chiquinho wing back. And i think we chose the wrong one. If that was indeed what we were playing, as at times it seemed unclear. For me it was not the game to experiment. We have had a tried and tested way of playing city and we tried something new. Though, with as 'on it' as city were, i think we would have lost whatever. I think we, and the ref made it easier for them.

I have never known a team get away with so many counter-attack-stopping, yelliw card worthy fouls as city. They are masters of it. KDB should have already been on a yellow.

I understand Neto not doing 90mins but don't get why Raul came off. And why Silva didn't come on instead of Hwang and Trincao makes no sense.

Ref and commentators as annoying as ever

Positives: Chiquinho looked good going forward. We actually looked better going forward. I thought Raul was playing his best for some time. RAN did ok. We scored.

Let's just please have a good go and convincingly beat Norwich.

JH1902

Groupie
Reaction score
They're one of the best teams in the world and they clearly showed it last night. I thought it was going to be double figures at one point, KDB ran the show (we did give him a load of space to do so) and they cut through us like a hot knife through butter at some times.

Chiquinho really impressed me last night, one of the positives. Interesting refereeing performance too.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot of OTT comments on here
Yes we had a pasting and could have been worse,but this is probably the best team on earth we were playing on top form
They have scored 22 goals in their last 5 games in the toughest league on the planet

We didnt actually play that bad,just had too many players off their best or in the wrong position
Probably Neves worst game in a wolves shirt hardly heard him mentioned all night
Mouts and Donk not much better,Jonny at CB? really?
Throw that lot in and its obvious why they tore us a new one

They can do that to any team when on song and they were a choir last night,and needed no help from us at all
Yes they got a few decisions but i dont think any of the pen shouts were wrong tbh
Should have had a couple more yellows for some cynical fouls but thats about it

Chico had a decent game,we may have a player there
Raul had his best game for ages totally understand his anger at coming off
Neto started well then for some reason got all sulky, no idea why but he needs to cut that out
Thats about it for positives im afraid,but at least we tried to have a go at them on occasions and actually played some decent football when the allowed us to lol

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As good as Sa has been this season some of his distribution v city was very poor.
And persevering with the playing out from the back between Sa and Boly seemed downright kamikaze..

Sheffield Wolf

Reaction score
I never thought I’d appreciate watching Wolves lose 5-1, but that was a master class last night.

The simple truth is, when they had the ball, we were chasing shadows. I think we’ve been blessed these last 4 years having Moutinho, and to a lesser extent, Donk in the team, but one is slowing down and the other is too slow.

The game has moved on in the last few years, with teams pressing all over the pitch and if you’re centre midfield is too slow to do that, you’ll get taken apart.

You can say that we switched off and didn’t track runners, but they were given too much time to pick out the runs.

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

In the first half (couldn’t see the second half as well as I was low down in the South Bank) every time we had a free kick in a defensive area Bernardo stood directly in front of the ball delaying the kick whilst Foden distracted the ref by complaining and waving his arms around and Atkinson let them get away with it every time.

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm going to put that display down to a manager trying to prove a point to the owners. You've brought me here to play a more attractive and attacking style of football, so we need more players that can do that.
It's the only thing that makes sense.
Liverpool, 2nd in the league, played pragmatic football against City a couple weeks ago.
Wolves played pragmatic football against City a few months ago, suddenly now with so many first team players missing, we think we can go toe-to-toe with a country like Man City.
My verdict is this has to be a statement match to the owners, it can't be anything else?

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The difference in class last night was what we should have shown against Chorley last season.

Back
Top Bottom