Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno- stay or out?

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Am very surprised to see that he is now the favourite to be the next premier league manager to be sacked on Oddschecker at 5/1
Ahead of Roy Hodgson. He was about 50/1 just a short while ago. I wonder if these firms do have any inside info?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Am very surprised to see that he is now the favourite to be the next premier league manager to be sacked on Oddschecker at 5/1
Ahead of Roy Hodgson. He was about 50/1 just a short while ago. I wonder if these firms do have any inside info?
Almost certainly based on money going on, based on rumours online which may or may not be accurate.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's been the same now for at least a couple of seasons under two manager's but mostly the same players.
Bruno was waving them forward on Saturday, as he has done many times before, but what did they do ? They passed it backwards. Seems to me the players don't want attacking tactics.
I think it's because they can't except in short bursts. We've got a decent squad with some excellent players but... we are overloaded with defensively minded / suited players. I know this is all well rehearsed stuff now but I'm going to be self-indulgent...

We play with 3 central defenders. Nothing necessarily wrong with that except that right in front of them we only have defensive midfielders. Neves and Moutinho are class but they sit and mostly break up play, then go short, back or occasionally diagonally, with neither ever driving forward with the ball (not a criticism, they're both class at what they do). The other option is Dendonker. Then to one side of the 3 centre backs is Semedo, who again is class at what he does well but is better suited to a full back role. Which leaves up to 4 attacking players; with choices including the bang average Hwang, the dosser Trincao, and the currently impotent Silva and Raul. You can wave them wherever you like, they're a defensive unit who don't have it in them to attack.

Time for some big changes but I'm not sure that includes the boss.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's because they can't except in short bursts. We've got a decent squad with some excellent players but... we are overloaded with defensively minded / suited players. I know this is all well rehearsed stuff now but I'm going to be self-indulgent...

We play with 3 central defenders. Nothing necessarily wrong with that except that right in front of them we only have defensive midfielders. Neves and Moutinho are class but they sit and mostly break up play, then go short, back or occasionally diagonally, with neither ever driving forward with the ball (not a criticism, they're both class at what they do). The other option is Dendonker. Then to one side of the 3 centre backs is Semedo, who again is class at what he does well but is better suited to a full back role. Which leaves up to 4 attacking players; with choices including the bang average Hwang, the dosser Trincao, and the currently impotent Silva and Raul. You can wave them wherever you like, they're a defensive unit who don't have it in them to attack.

You put that very well. Why can't Big Jeff and Scott Sellars see that. It they can what have they done or are doing to change it. It's gone on far too long.

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
Woy has said he wont be managing Watford next season, so they can't quite have their finger on the pulse.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Plenty of shots of the players in training pics today on the official site. Not one of Bruno though.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Plenty of shots of the players in training pics today on the official site. Not one of Bruno though.
Quote above the gallery.

Bruno Lage and his Wolves players have been hard at work on the training pitches at Compton Park as they look to turn around their form and end the season on a high.​

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder what Jeff thinks of our performances or is he sitting on the fence? Is he satisfied with Bruno even if we lose our last 4 games?

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder what Jeff thinks of our performances or is he sitting on the fence? Is he satisfied with Bruno even if we lose our last 4 games?
Doubt he'll be impressed with the performances, nor should he be, performance-wise we're no better than last season (they will be paying attention to the stats that back this up). He'll be even less impressed with the form though, seven defeats in ten is relegation form no matter how you dress it up, and it could get worse by the end of the season with games against the top three still to come

In a lot of ways it's reminding me of the situation in Fosun's first season. Lambert had had some great results and good performances, but on the whole performances had been lacklustre at best, the fan base was split as to whether to keep him, and we ended the season in poor form. The board sacked him, made a very good appointment, and we enjoyed the best years we'd had for decades

We need the right man in charge for the start of next season

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I never thought anyone could talk more meaningless drivel in interviews than Nuno, but Bruno tops him.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I never thought anyone could talk more meaningless drivel in interviews than Nuno, but Bruno tops him.
I like to think/hope it is a language thing and that it's Bruno's enthusiasm that leads him away from the prepared meaningless drivel we were accustomed to with Nuno into random meaningless drivel. I suspect even the most multi-lingual of us might struggle trying to make up platitudes off the cuff in Portuguese. Mind you, you only have to tune in to Sky, or MOTD, to hear native English speakers who make about as much sense.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Lostwolf your post sums the situation up perfectly. We have some very good players but too many with similar attributes which top quality coaching can only change up to a certain point. Teams like Palace have sussed that if they effectively press us, we don't have the ability to recycle and move the ball quickly, thus massively blunting any attacking threat. This isn't a new thing with this group of players but seems to be increasingly exploited by our opponents.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Strange take on things.
Nuno went out of his way to avoid giving straight answers to questions, preferably to avoid answering much at all.
Bruno, in a second language, goes out of his way to respond as honestly and as fully as possible.

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quote above the gallery.

Bruno Lage and his Wolves players have been hard at work on the training pitches at Compton Park as they look to turn around their form and end the season on a high.​

Rehashed weekly since January

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lostwolf your post sums the situation up perfectly. We have some very good players but too many with similar attributes which top quality coaching can only change up to a certain point. Teams like Palace have sussed that if they effectively press us, we don't have the ability to recycle and move the ball quickly, thus massively blunting any attacking threat. This isn't a new thing with this group of players but seems to be increasingly exploited by our opponents.
Agreed completely and without pace down the wings (Jota, Neto, Traore) they can push very high against us without threat of ball over top.

Having said that Rui’s overhit ball aimed at Doc every time was equally frustrating!

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d keep Bruno personally but I’d be amazed if he’s here next season.
I agree. I don't subscribe to the 'false position' fallacy, your position is generally where you should be. The form is cause for concern but if those players are capable of downing tools for Bruno, they're capable of downing tools for any manager, which calls into question their mentality. They're not even his players for the most part.

Yes he's made mistakes and the paradox of exhilarating defeats and turgid victories has been, well, confusing. And yes, we've been fortunate with Sa playing a blinder. But we've also down excellent defensive organization for much of the season, yielded better performances in midfield despite no change in personal, and Kilman has come on leaps and bounds.

So I'm kinda undecided but I think I know which way it's going anyway.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also why cant he deal with the press today? It is still done remotely and other head coaches have still done press conferences remotely with Covid. Says he has taken some training at a distance this week and is feeling fine but cant do a press conference.

The goalkeeping coach also doing the press conference. Really odd. Where is his assistant or the other coach? Something not adding up here to me. Sorry if that sounds all conspiracy theory like but really odd the assistant head coach or 1st team coach isnt doing this press conference and Bruno cant do it when he is apparently feeling fine and the press attend the conferences online now rather than in person.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also why cant he deal with the press today? It is still done remotely and other head coaches have still done press conferences remotely with Covid. Says he has taken some training at a distance this week and is feeling fine but cant do a press conference.

The goalkeeping coach also doing the press conference. Really odd. Where is his assistant or the other coach? Something not adding up here to me. Sorry if that sounds all conspiracy theory like but really odd the assistant head coach or 1st team coach isnt doing this press conference and Bruno cant do it when he is apparently feeling fine and the press attend the conferences online now rather than in person.

Maybe the others aren't comfortable in answering/responding to questions in English?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe the others aren't comfortable in answering/responding to questions in English?

His brother speaks fluent English from what I have seen and he is assistant head coach. The other coaches all speak English as well from what I have seen. I am finding it all a bit odd to be honest. Bruno apparently feeling fine and taking training from a distance this week but unable to do a press briefing where the Journalists attend via Skype. Strange.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yep, I agree. Too convenient that this happens a week after a supposed row.

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

His brother speaks fluent English from what I have seen and he is assistant head coach. The other coaches all speak English as well from what I have seen. I am finding it all a bit odd to be honest. Bruno apparently feeling fine and taking training from a distance this week but unable to do a press briefing where the Journalists attend via Skype. Strange.
Bruno is apparently not experiencing any symptoms. Surely he can do a press conference. Sounds like the coward has gone into hiding.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly what I think. Why is it left to the goalkeeping coach to do this as well?
Not sure. To be fair Roberts does seem a bubbly character that could handle the press well, so might be as simple as he's more confident than Lage's brother or whoever else. Obviously it's his first language as well.

Still think something's odd overall though.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno is apparently not experiencing any symptoms. Surely he can do a press conference. Sounds like the coward has gone into hiding.
Or gone away for a rest - the way folk sometimes do in Shanghai and Beijing!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I find myself flip flopping on this one.

How many people were predicting a relegation battle this season? Plenty, yet we flirted with the top six and will comfortably finish top half. Calling that a false position over the season is just silly. We've got the points to get us there and we haven't fluked those points.

Those first three games gave us all an idea that this was how Bruno wanted to play. Plenty of theories as to why he abandoned it, but there's still that feeling that it's the kind of football he really wants.

These aren't his players. He's had hardly any chance to work with players of his choice. Every manager deserves that chance.

Set against that, the way the season has imploded has been quite a sight. Some of the questions over his abilities seem quite justified. In game management. Strange tactics. Public criticism of players. Is the latter a mistake? Or maybe a reflection that this squad no longer has the edge, the nasty side, to challenge and push each other to be better?

I can't decide. On balance I think I'd like to see him given the chance to gut this squad and build the one he wants. Risky? Yes, but so is the alternative.

Excellent summing up. I agree with every word. Felt that Nuno should have been given the backing and another season to change our style, too. But that didn't happen and it looks like same could happen to Bruno. It's quite similar to what happened with Nuno - only at a much faster pace, the rise and implosion happening in less than a year, instead of gradually over three seasons.

If this squad has lost the edge, then no new manager is really going to fix it, not without significant player transfers. Does look like this could have been the thinking behind getting Bruno. Hope for a new manager bounce rather than spending big on players. And it has worked, to an extent.

The core of the squad needs some "succession" work. Several key players now approaching 30 and over. Better to change and evolve gradually than try and squeeze one more season out of them - and it would have to involve playing this same style, too - and make huge changes in a year or two.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Maybe Roberts is just more comfortable then? Any of the behind the scenes videos he's quite vocal so perhaps makes more sense?

Do the journalists still attend via Skype at us now? Thought they go to the press room now?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doubt he'll be impressed with the performances, nor should he be, performance-wise we're no better than last season (they will be paying attention to the stats that back this up). He'll be even less impressed with the form though, seven defeats in ten is relegation form no matter how you dress it up, and it could get worse by the end of the season with games against the top three still to come

In a lot of ways it's reminding me of the situation in Fosun's first season. Lambert had had some great results and good performances, but on the whole performances had been lacklustre at best, the fan base was split as to whether to keep him, and we ended the season in poor form. The board sacked him, made a very good appointment, and we enjoyed the best years we'd had for decades

We need the right man in charge for the start of next season

We had similar runs last season and plenty "dressed it up" and questioned the sanity of anybody who suggested it was relegation form. We ended the season with 6 defeats from 10 - and that 10 included 2 wins and a draw against the relegated 3. Among the worst 3 teams the league has ever seen.

The different personalities of Bruno and Nuno seem to be a factor as much as any actual results. Nuno's charisma must be a big plus. Bruno hasn't really got any charisma! It's just showing that without charisma, in life, you often have to do better to get respect.

Performances are a difficult one. One one hand, to me, it feels like we really have got forward more and tried to be less dour and negative than last season. Yet as you say, the stats aren't really any different. Goals, XG, shots etc are all very similar, sometimes worse. I just remember the tedium of *knowing* we would plan on doing nothing in the first half of every match last season. Stay in the game for 60 minutes minimum, then hope that Traore or Neto could go on a run and snatch it at the end. 2 of those wins (sheff U and fulham) were exactly that. Horrible to watch as these were against teams who others had strolled over.

This season, surely we've spent more time in the opponents half? More time in the opponents final 3rd? But then it all falls down as we are inept at the finish. I really don't believe any manager can change that with these players available. Hopefully a Neto returning to fitness can score a couple.

Any idea who the "good appointment" would be? Nuno was an excellent appointment - he came with 3 or 4 absolute key players who knew him, had played at much higher level than a mid-table Championship club and would never have joined otherwise. The equivalent for us now at *this* level, is a new manager who can, within weeks of joining, bring in Andres Silva, Renato Sanches, Alphonso Davies or equivalents, because the Almighty himself couldn't turn our current lot into a good goal scoring team. Gerrimin!! (shame he doesn't exist).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom