Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Burnley verdict thread

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno gets the video analysis out, studies the opposition, attention to detail, thoroughly briefs his players like a chess mastermind.

Unfortunately, it unravels when the opposition manager decides to move a few pieces after the game unfolds.

We have the lowest points from losing positions.

It points to a serious flaw in our manager

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How on earth are we 8th?!??!

Because we have more points than the teams below us. A better question is, why aren't we 6th and the answer is, Neves out, Neto not back to his best, Kilman was badly affected by what is happening in his own country and of Course Jiminez lost his Mojo after that awful injury. The reason we aren't in the top 6, is because of lack of investment, in the last few transfer windows.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There was a moment about 10 mins from time and I think it was Boly had the ball held way in Burnley's half and not one player was moving for a pass.
I clocked that too. I watched Man City yesterday. I know they're in a different stratosphere, but the way they move move move move is absolutely exemplary. Fabio moved around but Hwang and Jimenez today were just pedestrian

I agree with Tring's ratings. I thought Coady was impressive but poor for their goal. Everyone else was just very ineffective.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never could I muster up a group of players less capable of doing the necessary requirements to win games like today.

A system utterly drained of everything. A midfield that offers literally zero in terms of creativity and goals. And to top it off no pace, no physicality, no courage.

Burnley played 2 and a half days ago and we've had 16 days rest. I give up.

Super NES

Groupie
Reaction score
How many times do we get chances to really put pressure on those ahead of us and we falter - so predictable yet again.

If Fosun want regular European football we need a few signings this summer which will take us to the next level - a team who's first thought is to win and play on the front foot, not just "compete" I.e. stay in games for as long as possible, hope to nick a goal and if we do concede look like we have no idea of what to do next!

On a positive note, Silva did well again. Keep him in the first team for the rest of the season - his performances have earned it.

The Fat Bloke

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because we have more points than the teams below us. A better question is, why aren't we 6th and the answer is, Neves out, Neto not back to his best, Kilman was badly affected by what is happening in his own country and of Course Jiminez lost his Mojo after that awful injury. The reason we aren't in the top 6, is because of lack of investment, in the last few transfer windows.
Plus the fact Bruno makes the wrong changes and too late in games.

How many substitutes has he got right?

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another Lage masterclass. Players look like they're on the beach, that's 100% on him and his tactics.

So much for a team with two weeks break supposedly focused on Europe.

Seems like a nice bloke, but he needs sacking.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My verdict is that was an absolute disgrace after the Newcastle shambles. Six defeats in nine now and we look dreadful the last two games. A powder puff attack, no proper pressing even when we went a goal down. A head coach taking off the wrong players and leaving dreadful ones on. Tactics look non existent and some of the players dont look bothered. I am concerned about Lage as yes he may not have had huge backing but is tactics and subs are very worrying to say the least.

May as well go 4 at the back now and actually try and attack teams rather than this power puff rubbish we have seen the last 2 games but I dont think Lage will have the bottle to do it.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I brought the argument about it being Nuno's group of players etc for a while. But how long will this remain an excuse for these pitiful performances against sides we should have long since learnt how to at the very least compete with and god forbid create chances against.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
8 defeats in 13 since we let Adama go and gambled that none of our midfielders got injured. Ultimately, that gamble has resulted in 0 points from games against Palace, Leeds, Newcastle and Burnley and has cost us Europe.
In other words, relegation form since we let go of Adama. His haters are going to recognise this when he's gone - his impact on the game is so much more than his goals and assists column.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Burnley fans were really enjoying themselves that last half hour. None of that tension that we would have 1-0 up.
They knew that we weren't going to score.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So angry watching that tbh, as soon as we go one down you just know we won't get back into the game a real lack of character and lack of ideas going forward... We aren't even creating any chances for crying out loud! We don't get the ball into the box and when was the last time we had someone run in one on one with the keeper?

Jimenez is well off form and has been for most of the season he needs a real kick up the backside as if he carries on playing the way he has been I feel he is player that needs replacing in our first team... While Silva isn't scoring as well at least he is getting involved pressing and moving off the ball.

Hwang is actually dreadful the fact he was on loan and we needlessly signed is a joke questions need to be asked about that signing as he is no way a premier league player...

Really REALLY disappointed with that performance.

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
8 defeats in 13, wow, I didn't think it had been that bad.

I'm just glad somehow we're 8th and have nothing to worry about over the next few weeks.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Almost what I predicted in the score thread. I said Burnley would win 2-0, which they didn't, but the rest was spot on: 'Burnley have a worse team than us but they will win it because they will want it more than us'. Pretty much sums it up. I also said I wouldn't have picked Hwang on the pre-match stuff. I am not a professional coach, but I think I could do at least as well as Bruno. No flexibility or ability to think on his feet. Just not good enough. Without massive spending I think we could go down next season. The club is not a shadow of what it was 3 years ago.

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are the most utterly boring and predictable side in the league. It’s embarrassing to watch, utter dross.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Burnley wanted it more pure and simple
Had them creaking before their goal but totally toothless up front
Once they scored they fought for everything and we just didnt
We have been like this for weeks now,no fight, no desire,no passion
There are a few players that just need to go now,and unfortunately Raul is one of them based on his last few shows
Never thought i would say that but its plain for all to see at the moment

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another year of making Burnley look great. 6 games against them with this side and 15 points they have taken off us playing exactly the same way. It is hilarious really. I mean don't get me wrong, credit to them but **** me, we clearly have just never learnt, always play into there hands.

A few points

- Bruno does not understand in game management. Period.

- Hwang is not good enough. Nowhere near good enough. The footballing committee can **** right off when trying to justify signings. "why risk climbing one position by spending x amount". **** right off you amateur ****s. Justify this misery signing.

- I read the point above, performances the same, results better. That is absolutely spot on. What we put that down to <insert answer here>

- Sell Raul. He is not the same player but still has appeal. Cash in.

- Whether Bruno Lage remains our head coach, one thing must change. We need new players. We need new players. We need new players. We need new players. If this Burnley side getting the better of us again isn't a clear sign, I do not know what is. We are stale. We have one way of playing, one way only. The moment they got bodies back after scoring and we put 4 at the back, we literally had no idea what to do.

- Whether we finish 8th or 13th. Take a snapshot of performances. In the space of 12 months, have things really changed that much? I don't believe they have.

- I think there are going to be a fair few outgoings this summer. Neves being one. We have saw how much we have missed him. Do we trust Bruno Lage and Scott Sellars and the working mens club committee, sorry, footballing committee to head it? No, not sure I do either.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Feels like we're approaching the end of the road for a fair few of our players. We need to revolutionise the way we play and forge a new identity if we want to move on, and that may require breaking up large parts of the team.

Judging by the last two games there are numerous players we should be saying goodbye to. Some of them dont look bothered which is a disgrace.

djmikeydickens

Reaction score
No Neves no party. Baffling subs yet again too. We need a clear out in the summer, it's all gone very stale. 4-5 out same amount in, I'd give Bruno until Xmas break to see if it improves

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Feels like we're approaching the end of the road for a fair few of our players. We need to revolutionise the way we play and forge a new identity if we want to move on, and that may require breaking up large parts of the team.

You aren't wrong but unless we get £200m for Neves the money just isn't going to be there to do it.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've hovered between positive and ambivalent towards Bruno until now, but I lost faith in him today.

Starting line-up was exciting, showed attacking intent, but when it became apparent that there was nothing different in the strategic set-up - no front two with one behind them - my heart sank. Hwang is not a wide forward. Raul definitely is not, and he categorically did not want to play there, he was awkward and sullen throughout. The ball was recycled out wide time and time again, and we lost possession time and time again. That's not the players. That's tactical inadequacy, and that's entirely on the manager.

And then the kicker, taking off Fabio. The best of the front three by an absolute mile, he ran and took up good positions and carried, and was motivated. And Bruno hooked him.

Sorry, but no. That was unforgiveable.

Raul was the worst player on a team that also included Hwang, so that's saying something, and either of them being substituted - for either Neto or Trincao - would have been justified. Or, at the very, very least, hook Fabio to enable a change to the strategy. But, no.

So, fair play, it's been a better than expected season, and Bruno is a decent manager, but he's nothing special. We're every bit as one-dimensional and fragile as at the end of last season, and - as Tring correctly points out - that's 8 defeats in 13 post-Traore, a run that largely coincides with the insipid Hwang's return to the team. Bruno has had no answers whatsoever, and today was every bit as lightweight and uninspired as Newcastle, and we've had two weeks to work on it.

If we change coach in the summer, I won't so much as bat an eyelid. 8th is great, but our mindset and tactics are not, and that's Bruno.

T

TheConcourse

Enjoyed the first 20 minutes when the sun was out.

Sa - 5: Nothing to do.

Semedo - 5: Poor today.

Boly - 5: Dreadful positioning for the goal

Coady - 4: Grateful for his leadership and his ability to get players who are technically miles better up for games. That’s sarcasm, btw. Should be seeing the bench in the summer. Toilet.

Saiss - 5: Is what he is, an over the hill CM who can’t perform consistently as a CB.

Jonny - 6: Worked hard

Moutinho - 6: One man midfield

Donk - 4: His pass success rate must be well over 90%. Loves a little non-committal 10 yard pass back to our CB

Jimenez - 3: MLS awaits.

Hwang - 3: Beyond poor. Pointless.

Silva - 7: genuinely thought he played well. Desperately unlucky to be hooked on favour on Jimenez who has seen his best days.

Bruno - 2: Taking Silva off and persevering with Raul and Hwang. Are you mad? Seriously. Got about 5 games to keep his job. Totally clueless without Neves.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'd no more give Moutinho a new contract than I'd get back together with my first wife. Great player but he is simply far too slow. And his free kicks/corners are ****.
Raul? Let's accept what is plain to see - he needs to go to the MLS
Hwang? In what parallel universe did someone think he was worth £14m. That's incompetence on an epic scale

Longford Wolf

Reaction score
I’m really sick of watching us now. Boring as hell, no pace, lack of intent, sideways and backwards passing. Bruno clueless yet again, he can leave for me, totally uninspiring. Why do we always give every **** team a leg up. Totally ****ed off.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have the lowest points from losing positions.

It points to a serious flaw in our manager
Or the terrible lack of fire in the players when they're out there on the pitch.

While he could make much better decisions when it comes to substitutions, Lage can't hold their hand once they cross the white line.

I've yet to see Trincao, Hwang or Silva really ready to suffer to pull a result out of the fire, and we just keep accumulating these type of players. Semedo is also too timid as an attacking force. Podence is a decent creative option, but his endless tendency to take weeks off for minor knocks doesn't convince me that he is really ready to fight for a career at the highest level for which he could potentially achieve with his talent. Sa seems the only one to buck the trend in recent years of having some sort of edge about him.

Last edited:

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd no more give Moutinho a new contract than I'd get back together with my first wife. Great player but he is simply far too slow. And his free kicks/corners are ****.
Raul? Let's accept what is plain to see - he needs to go to the MLS
Hwang? In what parallel universe did someone think he was worth £14m. That's incompetence on an epic scale

Mouts is still good enough, but he isnt good enough anymore to control a midfield by himself. He's easily worth a contract, but we all knew we needed a midfielder in January in case we lost one of ours for a while, and its come back to bite us in the rear end.

Back
Top Bottom