Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Stadium Plans

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If FOSUN’s reason for cutting back on spending is because they want the club to be completely self sufficient, but they aren’t willing to upgrade the stadium (free from FFP restraints) in order to increase the capacity, commercial offerings and ultimately income of the club then that is a massive red flag.

It makes you question their long term ambitions really.
And i feel they will just repeat themselves when they screen the askwolves roundtable sessions.
They will also talk about the links with grasshoppers being innovative and yielding players like tote gomes.

GV Wolf

Reaction score
Precisely because the club are doing zero about it. May as well have a fan led design we can dream about!

More seriously, if at some point the club did decide to do a proper redevelopment of Molineux, they would likely seek fan input. Work gone into a fan concept, including wants and wishes, and preferred stadium style/features, would perhaps help to avoid another Morgan North Bank.
I understand why we would want fan input but please no fan input - posters on here can never agree on the yearly wolves home shirt saga let alone a new stadium. Just tell fosun to look at the 250 pages of the ground redevelopment thread and the 60 pages of this thread:) Infact they only have to read 10 pages of each thread as the threads tend to repeat themselves every 10 ish pages. However I still enjoy reading them for the different opinions.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I understand why we would want fan input but please no fan input - posters on here can never agree on the yearly wolves home shirt saga let alone a new stadium. Just tell fosun to look at the 250 pages of the ground redevelopment thread and the 60 pages of this thread:) Infact they only have to read 10 pages of each thread as the threads tend to repeat themselves every 10 ish pages. However I still enjoy reading them for the different opinions.

You may well be right there!

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If FOSUN’s reason for cutting back on spending is because they want the club to be completely self sufficient, but they aren’t willing to upgrade the stadium (free from FFP restraints) in order to increase the capacity, commercial offerings and ultimately income of the club then that is a massive red flag.

It makes you question their long term ambitions really.
I dont think it is as simple as that.
My guess is that they wanted to build out of town but were taken aback by the opposition to moving away from the town centre.
Trying to develop Molineux in the current location is much more difficult (technically snd politically) and involves many more stakeholders.
Whilst this may have been subject to discussions in the background, the pandemic hit and so many things are on hold.
Like many people i would like an update but i really doubt that Fosun have lost interest.

Warrington_Wolf

Reaction score
I dont think it is as simple as that.
My guess is that they wanted to build out of town but were taken aback by the opposition to moving away from the town centre.
Trying to develop Molineux in the current location is much more difficult (technically snd politically) and involves many more stakeholders.
Whilst this may have been subject to discussions in the background, the pandemic hit and so many things are on hold.
Like many people i would like an update but i really doubt that Fosun have lost interest.

Leicester and Man United are pressing ahead with fairly involved redevelopment projects. Think Palace have got plans to upgrade the main stand.

FOSUN posted large profits last year so the pandemic hasn’t had too much of an impact on them.

The Steve Bull stand isn’t far off being condemned now and is no longer fit for purpose. The North Bank has bolts falling off the roof and the Billy Wright went up in flames a few months back. Add to that the temp stand being out of action for much of the season and the club going quiet over the development of the corner between the South Bank and Steve Bull and it doesn’t look good.

I think they need to press on with the Steve Bull redevelopment now - if not now then when.

Hsvwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leicester and Man United are pressing ahead with fairly involved redevelopment projects. Think Palace have got plans to upgrade the main stand.

FOSUN posted large profits last year so the pandemic hasn’t had too much of an impact on them.

The Steve Bull stand isn’t far off being condemned now and is no longer fit for purpose. The North Bank has bolts falling off the roof and the Billy Wright went up in flames a few months back. Add to that the temp stand being out of action for much of the season and the club going quiet over the development of the corner between the South Bank and Steve Bull and it doesn’t look good.

I think they need to press on with the Steve Bull redevelopment now - if not now then when.
Same description could be applied to 75% of premier league stadiums……..Considering the amount of money clubs make the state of the stadiums is not what you’d expect from the so called best league in the world …..,compared to Germany and France the epl is way behind stadium quality and design

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I have told you a million times, dont exagerate!

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Fosun won't finance any development the club would loan money, and their financial outlook isn't that rosey. The Pfizer vaccine in China gamble that they took failed and they have a lot of debt

RedFlagWolf

Reaction score
Man Utd are likely to focus on taking Old Trafford's capacity up to 88,000.
I really hope they don’t!

One of my favourite ‘fun facts’ to glory hunting ManUre fans is to tell them that the highest attendance at Old Trafford was to watch Wolves v Grimsby!

These so called fans no so little about the club that they rarely believe me!

Alienwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If ever there was proof that we need a bigger ground, it’s the speed of sale for tickets against Norwich. I logged on before 10 to get a couple of tickets, to find that there were only a handful left in the BW & SB.

I’ve no idea what the solution is, but 62 pages tells me that it’ll only become more of an issue if it’s ignored for the next year or two.

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If ever there was proof that we need a bigger ground, it’s the speed of sale for tickets against Norwich. I logged on before 10 to get a couple of tickets, to find that there were only a handful left in the BW & SB.

I’ve no idea what the solution is, but 62 pages tells me that it’ll only become more of an issue if it’s ignored for the next year or two.
There aren't that many non-season tickets in those areas and the few that there are, especially seats together, will have already gone to Membership Plus.

There are still 1,300 tickets left in the SBL.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They wont be able to leave the ground as it is for too much longer. It is clearly in need of work in various areas. Concerning that there appears to be no evidence of anything in the pipeline whatsoever.
Various clubs updating their grounds and with expansions etc. It seems like we are doing nothing.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Loads of tickets in the Steve bull lower.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They wont be able to leave the ground as it is for too much longer. It is clearly in need of work in various areas. Concerning that there appears to be no evidence of anything in the pipeline whatsoever.
Various clubs updating their grounds and with expansions etc. It seems like we are doing nothing.
Why does it matter what other clubs are doing? That has no impact on what we should or shouldn’t do to the ground. It’s why you lose your head in the transfer window because you get obsessed with what others are doing.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why does it matter what other clubs are doing? That has no impact on what we should or shouldn’t do to the ground. It’s why you lose your head in the transfer window because you get obsessed with what others are doing.

Why the need for the dig? Cant some posters post on here without dishing out digs or is it too much to ask? Luckily the majority dont.

With regard to the stadium do you feel it is in need of work? I certainly do and that is my main point. Would be nice to see this happen and no harm in mentioning other clubs are updating their grounds, in my opinion.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why the need for the dig? Cant some posters post on here without dishing out digs or is it too much to ask? Luckily the majority dont.
Not a dig at all, it’s literally what you do?

There is absolutely no correlation between what we need to do to the ground and what other clubs are doing. If villa park is increased to 80k that has no bearing on the concourse being too tight in the Steve Bill does it?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a dig at all, it’s literally what you do?

There is absolutely no correlation between what we need to do to the ground and what other clubs are doing. If villa park is increased to 80k that has no bearing on the concourse being too tight in the Steve Bill does it?

What I do? I could complain that you constantly defend the club at all costs and make digs at you in this respect saying it is what you do but I dont as that is your opinion. Each to their own but you knew what you were doing when making that dig at me in the above post. You do it with other posters on here as well when they post something that dares be critical of the club in any way.

Anyway I'll leave you to it. I had enjoyed recent times on this forum without this sort of crap.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score

With regard to the stadium do you feel it is in need of work? I certainly do and that is my main point. Would be nice to see this happen and no harm in mentioning other clubs are updating their grounds, in my opinion.
Jeff Shi himself mentioned other clubs when referring to Wolves being one of the biggest clubs in the world in five years.
The current Molineux is a nice stadium but would have to be massively upgraded to meet the standard of those biggest clubs Jeff wants Wolves to join.
Not by a massive capacity, not 60 to 80k but a higher capacity, much better facilities for fans, more corporate stuff, perhaps made more iconic than it is.
Although there seems nothing doing at the moment, I always hope the club are working on plans to release to fans in the near future.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What I do? I could complain that you constantly defend the club at all costs and make digs at you in this respect saying it is what you do but I dont as that is your opinion. Each to their own but you knew what you were doing when making that dig at me in the above post. You do it with other posters on here as well when they post something that dares be critical of the club in any way.

Anyway I'll leave you to it. I had enjoyed recent times on this forum without this sort of crap.
Blimey o’reilly. Overreact much.

Oakhamwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
The ground needs some TLC at the very least, it’s well scruffy. Wonder if they have had to upgrade the away dressing room for the internationals ? It was a right sh*thole

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I would imagine that they didn't release all the tickets until after 10am then to membership.
Over 1000 tickets left on sale for standard members now.

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The ground needs some TLC at the very least, it’s well scruffy. Wonder if they have had to upgrade the away dressing room for the internationals ? It was a right sh*thole
Does it still have a huge column right in the middle of the room?

Attachments

• ENeEoOhWkAEEoZG.jpeg
    ENeEoOhWkAEEoZG.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 33

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeff Shi himself mentioned other clubs when referring to Wolves being one of the biggest clubs in the world in five years.
The current Molineux is a nice stadium but would have to be massively upgraded to meet the standard of those biggest clubs Jeff wants Wolves to join.
Not by a massive capacity, not 60 to 80k but a higher capacity, much better facilities for fans, more corporate stuff, perhaps made more iconic than it is.
Although there seems nothing doing at the moment, I always hope the club are working on plans to release to fans in the near future.

Thanks for the decent response Berlin.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The silence from the club after all the proposed redevelopment images they showed a couple of years ago does seem a bit worrying. Of course the playing side and keeping us established in the PL as a top half side is always priority, but a bigger, better stadium would attract better players, allow more fans in, and earn the club revenue on non match days too. Maybe they know that building on the existing site is difficult while we are playing there every other week and perhaps Fosun had hoped to build a new stadium elsewhere.

Appreciate its a very complicated scenario, and like Berlin said, I just hope one day the club announce something positive. Ive just stopped holding my breath any more on the subject.

Berlin Wolf

Reaction score
Villa are hoping to submit a planning application by late summer to take their stadium capacity beyond 50,000 with a complete rebuild of the North Stand.
Being a stadium enthusiast, good luck to them on adding extra capacity and a new stand, to an already excellent stadium.

Bondi Wolf

Reaction score
Bigger stadium
Stay where we are
Financially responsible

Pick two of the above. Three can’t be done. It’s horrendously expensive to do rebuilds.

Bondi Wolf

Reaction score
Villa are hoping to submit a planning application by late summer to take their stadium capacity beyond 50,000 with a complete rebuild of the North Stand.
Being a stadium enthusiast, good luck to them on adding extra capacity and a new stand, to an already excellent stadium.
Agree with what you say, but this article is announcing Villa has hired a PR firm. “Hoping to submit a planning application” doesn’t mean very much

Berlin Wolf

Reaction score
Agree with what you say, but this article is announcing Villa has hired a PR firm. “Hoping to submit a planning application” doesn’t mean very much
It will be a long process but a start has been made. They have a plan which is moving forward.
It might be scuppered when told how much its going to cost, probably 50 million plus for the size of stand they are planning.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It will be a long process but a start has been made. They have a plan which is moving forward.
It might be scuppered when told how much its going to cost, probably 50 million plus for the size of stand they are planning.

Exactly. They have a plan and they’re starting to prepare for it by appointing advisors and preparing a planning application. As you say, it won’t be cheap and could still stall before work starts, or even a final design presented. It’s not the first time they’ve stated an intent to expand further. By comparison we have planning approval for a second open air temporary stand for 500 fans, and Jeff occasionally talks about minor improvements to the 40 year old Steve Bill stand.

Last edited:

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

shi said the interest costs were too high two years ago. at that time interest costs were the lowest for 100 years+. they are now higher. building materials are up 40%+ so the overall cost is loads higher. there is literally zero chance of a rebuild or even a refurb

Bondi Wolf

Reaction score
I disagree. Appointing a PR firm is not a start.

If Wolves hired a PR firm to cover the stadium rebuild, and then Jeff pointed to that and said we have made a start, there would be uproar on here

Berlin Wolf

Reaction score

If Wolves hired a PR firm to cover the stadium rebuild, and then Jeff pointed to that and said we have made a start, there would be uproar on here
Well, Villa have appointed a public relations firm to consult with fans and the community over the proposed expansion of Villa Park.
There would more likely be uproar on here if Wolves didn't do that but pressed ahead like Steve Morgan did without fan consultation.
Villa also hope to submit a planning application by late summer, so I guess they must be preparing it for submission which is not far off.
But lets see how it pans out. Big talk making headlines is one thing but spades in the ground and the sight of a crane on the skyline is another.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes it is a start. Public consultation is a pre-requisite for large scale planning applications

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We could fill in more of the corners with graham hughes type stands just purely to absorb some of the waiting list and make some extra money too. That is if there are no plans torebuild molineux properly.
Do you guys think jeff shi will give us a stadium redevelopment update in the askwolves roundtable?

Maybe if the john ireland stand is close to being condemned it could force their hand.

Back
Top Bottom