Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Chelsea

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm torn... We stopped debtors prisons centuries ago. Where families were in prison with a father or mother who were in debt.
Sanctioning someone we must have absolutely clear evidence that the person has carried out a crime, not just because he's friends with someone committing a crime imo.
e.g BT. British Telecom, was a state owned 1980, if Mrs Thatcher was still around causing mayhem, should the C.E.O of a now privatised British Telecom be sanctioned for being the C.E.O of BT and doing a deal with Thatcher's government to purchase BT?
If I was a billionaire Russian, I'm not going to go up against putin, e.g speak out against him. it's suicide, look how many billionaires he's taken out who have spoken out against him.

He’s more than a friend. He helped Putin become President by recommending him to Yeltsin. I agree that he cannot go up against Putin, unless Putin is happy for him to “play that role”. Smart yes. Innocent no.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s more than a friend. He helped Putin become President by recommending him to Yeltsin. I agree that he cannot go up against Putin, unless Putin is happy for him to “play that role”. Smart yes. Innocent no.

Better the devil you know, sometimes.

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Had putin invaded Ukraine in 1990.
If I recommend a guy for a job, then twenty years later we find out the guy was stealing money from his department, am I guilty?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I recommend a guy for a job, then twenty years later we find out the guy was stealing money from his department, am I guilty?
Exactly…..who is guilty or innocent?
If a country freezes someone’s assets because of this invasion, can the countries government be sued.
It seems oligarchs are assumed to be criminals.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You think they haven’t been in contact since? You think they’re not associates? You think Roman gets to retain his wealth and business dealings in Russia without being close to Putin? All the major Russian companies have links to Putin and his associates. It’s how business is done in Putin’s Russia. It doesn’t mean that they all necessarily agree with everything that Putin does, but they have to cooperate and do what’s expected, or they lose their business and potentially their liberty or worse.

JJ59

Reaction score
If a country freezes someone’s assets because of this invasion, can the countries government be sued.
Some years ago the BBC broadcast an in depth documentary showing in detail how these Oligarchs achieved their wealth. The usual modus operandi was to persuade company owners to sign away their ownership at the point of a gun. Paperwork concluded the ex-owners were killed. The programme named the Oligarchs concerned and a number of them would be names most mixers would recognise. If you want to see how Russian backed authorities behave watch Winter on fire on Netflix.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't see how he's going to get any of his money tbh. Sales will take months and he'll be well sanctioned by then. The quicker him all his family and all the other Russian crooks **** off back to Russia the better.
He won't be going back to Russia!
Israel would be my bet . He has Israeli citizenship.

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I feel not a fart's worth of sympathy for Chelski nor Abramovich. But I also think the Premier League is bent and despise the fact that clubs are hawked around the globe to the highest bidders. And yes, that includes us. I know it's pie in the sky but I'd love to see all clubs run by fans, not for profit, and to be entirely self sustaining.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some years ago the BBC broadcast an in depth documentary showing in detail how these Oligarchs achieved their wealth. The usual modus operandi was to persuade company owners to sign away their ownership at the point of a gun. Paperwork concluded the ex-owners were killed. The programme named the Oligarchs concerned and a number of them would be names most mixers would recognise. If you want to see how Russian backed authorities behave watch Winter on fire on Netflix.
Good post and I have no love or respect for Putin and his fellow criminals. For years I have been a bit of a nerd on Russia, persuading 4 libraries to bring this or that book on Russia. It’s fascinating.
That said, who or how does a government decide who is a bad Russian and deserves to be sanctioned
Thx for the tip on the Netflix documentary.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel not a fart's worth of sympathy for Chelski nor Abramovich. But I also think the Premier League is bent and despise the fact that clubs are hawked around the globe to the highest bidders. And yes, that includes us. I know it's pie in the sky but I'd love to see all clubs run by fans, not for profit, and to be entirely self sustaining.
I share your sentiment but it takes a savvy businessman to run a PL club……fans can’t do it.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really don't think we are in a position to criticise others when our own owner has been involved in corruption issues himself.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
It's very good. Also Bill Browder's Red Notice book is essential reading, as is Putin's People by Catherine Belton. All these appeasing and empathetic hot takes on the poor old oligarchs would soon disappear.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, he was 'arrested' in 2015 and was 'assisting' authorities and also accusations of dodgy property deals.
Hold on a sec…..….that’s not proof.
The Chinese government is a criminal gang and might well have been putting pressure on Guo for any number of reasons……not toeing the party line, not donating to the party, speaking out about democratic values etc.

So, you grab Guo, hold him for incommunicado for several days and when his ‘re-education’ is complete, you release him.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hold on a sec…..….that’s not proof.
The Chinese government is a criminal gang and might well have been putting pressure on Guo for any number of reasons……not toeing the party line, not donating to the party, speaking out about democratic values etc.

So, you grab Guo, hold him for incommunicado for several days and when his ‘re-education’ is complete, you release him.

No idea, but has Abramovich actually been found guilty of anything? But we seem to have made our minds up. Reality is these billionaires with links to government are all corrupt in some fashion or another, I am sure.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No idea, but has Abramovich actually been found guilty of anything? But we seem to have made our minds up. Reality is these billionaires with links to government are all corrupt in some fashion or another, I am sure.
Maybe they are….but our judicial system is geared around proof and not specuration.
What about these people? All I’m saying we have to be fair.

James Dyson27.3 billionConsumer
61Jim Ratcliffe25 billionIndustrial
91Hinduja family15 billionDiversified
171Hugh Grosvenor13.2 billionReal Estate
242Michael Platt9.91 billionFinance
247Denise Coates9.75 billionEntertainment
288Anthony Bamford & family8.73 billionIndustrial
330Richard Branson7.9 billionDiversified
339Andrew Currie7.7 billionIndustrial
340John Reece7.65 billion
367Charles Cadogan7.09 billionReal Estate
398Joe Lewis6.64 billionDiversified
410Simon Reuben6.43 billion
411David Reuben6.43 billion
448Laurence Graff6.04 billionConsumer
481Clive Calder5.65 billionEntertainment
497Tom Morris

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe they are….but our judicial system is geared around proof and not specuration.

497Tom Morris

Right, and that was my whole point, people are on here being judge, jury and executioner with Abramovich when our very own owner has been linked to similar dealings.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Right, and that was my whole point, people are on here being judge, jury and executioner with Abramovich when our very own owner has been linked to similar dealings.
Oops….sorry, guess I misinterpreted your post.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing Chelsea return to the state they were in last time I went to see Wolves play at Stamford Bridge. It was March 1979. Chelsea were at the bottom of the league, there were 14000 in the ground, and Wolves beat them 2-1, IIRC. They got relegated.

bully9

Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing Chelsea return to the state they were in last time I went to see Wolves play at Stamford Bridge. It was March 1979. Chelsea were at the bottom of the league, there were 14000 in the ground, and Wolves beat them 2-1, IIRC. They got relegated.
Never really seen chelski as a big club ,mid table second division with what I thought 10-15000 fans at best

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Stick to strongly football related please folks.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stamford Bridge is in prime Chelsea real estate and must be worth a fortune alone. Then add in the value of the club itself, with its income stream including the two hotels and stores at the stadium, and I can see how you would get maybe to 2bn. So maybe 3.5bn including wiping the debt if the seller were not desperate. But he is, so he will take a big hit on that.

I should imagine the one thing which Chelsea has over other big 6 clubs is the value of the ground, I don't know the situation with the ground ownership but if it is owned by the club it would add a significant amount to the value.

However he is desperate to sell and everyone knows that so he won't get anywhere near what is been requested.
The freehold is owned by Chelsea Pitch Owners which is in place to prevent the land being sold for redevelopment.

Abramovic tried a while back to change the ownership back to the club but even he couldn’t get the approval required.

This is probably more a hindrance that an help to any potential quick sale as they also own the name Chelsea Football Club too, rather than the club’s parent group.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The freehold is owned by Chelsea Pitch Owners which is in place to prevent the land being sold for redevelopment.

Abramovic tried a while back to change the ownership back to the club but even he couldn’t get the approval required.

This is probably more a hindrance that an help to any potential quick sale as they also own the name Chelsea Football Club too, rather than the club’s parent group.

May be another reason for his “generous” offer to give the “net” proceeds to a charity.

D

Deleted member (smith)

Abramovics association with Putin is well established and goes back many years. Abramovic s great wealth came for his ability to buy state assets well under value due to his connections and it is probable he funneled large gains back to Putin. ( Putin may be a silent partner in Chelsea?)Any potential corruption took place in Russia and was apparently of no interest in the uk until Russia became a pariah…. This has been coming for some time as Putin murdered opponents, invaded neighbors etc. Putin has brought this on himself by uniting the world against his murderous regime…Abramovic and chelsea are merely collateral damage.

From a football point of view the Chelsea story is a case study in how much it costs to break into the big six and how long it takes.And that was done before FFP fettered the amount of loans or equity that owners can put in ( Putin)to cover losses. Perhaps a study of Chelsea’s financials compared to wolves would give a clearer idea why the “next step “ is so difficult and often underestimated by fans who have a short term view.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really don't think we are in a position to criticise others when our own owner has been involved in corruption issues himself.
That, given the absence of any qualifying caveats, is a dangerously strong statement which me learned friends could have a field day with....

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
War is indiscriminate and unfair.
When civilians are being bombed and dying , this post seems pedantic.
The West wants to isolate Russia and its means of wealth creation - its the Wests reply to bombing and killing . Attacking the economy , not the civilians.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Chelsea will be fine without him, they earn such gigantic revenues now he didn't give them money for a few years before Covid and they still spent heavily.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember when he bought the club in 2003 and it was crazy for those first few weeks. Everyday I'd come home to find out they had bought another player for a massive fee. It was mad.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In raw terms as an owner. Hes been the best one, he came, he put his money where his mouth is, improved Chelsea in all facets, made them arguably one of the biggest teams in world football collecting trophies galore along the way.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I've read the offerings of a few of the Chelsea fans and they were heavily laden with praise for Abramovich on a personal and business level. They must be anxious about the future but a few names are already being mooted as to who might replace him. It's likely that while I typed this people, soldiers and citizens were being killed in Ukraine, it's all unbelievably surreal.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

497Tom Morris

Jim Ratcliffe the man who blackmailed the UK, it doesn't seem to mention that in the link.

Back
Top Bottom