Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Is Dendoncker our most important player?

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He may do some of the dirty work but we desperately need to upgrade on Dendoncker.

As soon as he went into a midfield 2 he went to pot. Played us into trouble on a few occasions.
Huge part of many of our recent goals. Dog **** take right here.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Wasn't great? Huge part of both goals. Multiple important clearances.

Holy **** some of these posts are annoying.
Being called annoying by you is a compliment. He was one of our better players but it was a bad performance as Bruno said.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not his biggest fan but has been much better last couple of games and is starting to bring something to side, seems Lage likes him making that run in behind their left back did it a lot before Moutinho went off and he switched position...

Hopefully he keeps it up!

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
That strange position he plays really confuses me. It's like 343 in possession and 352 when we lose it. However I thought he did very well today, especially first 20 minutes when he worked well in attack in particular and after we went 2-1 up when he broke up their attacks. Used his physicality more than usual. He's not great, but he certainly contributed enough today.

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pulled his weight today, wasn’t a perfect performance but it’s been a steady improvement from him the last couple of games, and had a big part to play in both our goals

I’d stop shy of singing his name from the rafters but he deserves some credit for some impact on the game and some good improvement to go alongside his usual work rate

Being selected a few games in a row now must be helping him as he suffers when he’s in and out the team and loses a lot from his game

Has done enough to keep his place for the next two games for me as Bruno looks all but certain to keep 352 for now and that means the Donck stays in the team and can hopefully continue to improve to a level where we’re properly praising him once more

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great runs early on, but those mistakes second half make it difficult to trust him in a 2. He is also completely incapable of marking at a throw in

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was marking Lookman outside the area for their goal, Lookman ran forward and he just let him go and lost him. I'd say he was at fault for the goal.
That was my initial thought too. But I've noticed that in some areas of the pitch, notably out wide, there are situations where a midfielder hands over the marking responsibility to a defender. I guess only Bruno and the players know if this is meant to be the case in central areas as well. I also thought Kilman was playing unusually poorly today, then he makes a break into midfield and helps set up our 2nd...

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doncks was ok today tho it has to be said that our midfield were atrocious overall. The goal wasn't his fault. He was following Lookman then Max should have taken over but he was too slow to realise the danger. Perhaps a lack of talking, who knows, but I'd say Max was at fault more than Dendoncker there. Good goal tbf.

What we are seeing is an improvement in his forward play, tho I still don't think he's anywhere near good or positive enough to be a regular starter if we play 3 in midfield more often. We need a new signing there who is a different type of player. Tielemans ran that game.

fleck1

Reaction score
Hand in both goals and I thought very good first half, drifted out of the game second half. Hopefully starting to find some confidence and form, we can start to see the Donk of his first couple of seasons on a more regular basis.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That strange position he plays really confuses me. It's like 343 in possession and 352 when we lose it. However I thought he did very well today, especially first 20 minutes when he worked well in attack in particular and after we went 2-1 up when he broke up their attacks. Used his physicality more than usual. He's not great, but he certainly contributed enough today.
Yes noticed when we play Mouts Neves and him, he effectively plays very high up as the 3rd ‘attacker’ pressing when the opposition back line have the ball

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was marking Lookman outside the area for their goal, Lookman ran forward and he just let him go and lost him. I'd say he was at fault for the goal.
To be fair, Lookman did make a very intelligent run in between Kilman and Semedo. It could also be argued that Semedo should have alerted Kilman of the danger...

But it is all "if and buts"....... and it happened and I'm sure Bruno will pick up on it.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
To be fair, Lookman did make a very intelligent run in between Kilman and Semedo. It could also be argued that Semedo should have alerted Kilman of the danger...

But it is all "if and buts"....... and it happened and I'm sure Bruno will pick up on it.
Be interested to know what the coaches on here think. For me you can't have a midfielder staying with a runner in behind when the back line is trying to hold a line or he just ruins the offside line. If anything Kilman needs to be more aware and do a bit better?

R

reanswolf

Wasn't great? Huge part of both goals. Multiple important clearances.

Holy **** some of these posts are annoying.
He wasn't great though. Holy **** some of these posts are annoying :)-.

He has done better recently, and started well yesterday, but then just faded too, and in fact became a liability. Even his biggest fan Liam Keen remarked upon his poor game in his player ratings in the Express and Star: - "A very good first half-hour was followed by a few sloppy passes and Dendoncker was fortunate they were not punished". Gave him a 6 .

But yesterday, Moutinho wasn't at the races at all and was rightly subbed. He was not looking fit to me. Also felt Ruben struggled somewhat, maybe due to quality around him.

But how anyone could have watched yesterday and not seen that our midfield is so immobile is beyond me. Its not a case of hating a player (well not for me), its watching what I see week in week out. I know Ruben is the key, the quality, I know Mouts has quality too but is 35. Donk is a great lad too, a 'harrasser', but he needs upgrading even if that sounds harsh. How much better would we be with a mobile CM alongside Neves.

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Thought Donk had a very good start to the game and supported the forwards well in the first 20 minutes. After that he was pulled from pilar to post by Lookman and Tielemans who are just better, more agile players.

Not unlike Moutinho who was largely ineffective - there was only really Neves who competed in the middle of the park and it showed. We still need another option in the middle of the park, someone who can have an impact.

it's like Groundhog Day though, we've been saying this for 2 years and yet we are still challenging for European places so probably best to just see what happens.

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just from memory, Leander, played major parts in all of our last 6 goals v Leics, Spurs, Bees.

Will do for me, but needs be one of three in midfield, not a two.

Last edited:

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At least the last two games have shown a real improvement and more like when he first came. Shouldn't be near a two but if neves isn't playing then his height (and cundle/moutinho lack of) gives us no choice.

Perhaps it is about consistent game time and understanding his pros and cons.

R

reanswolf

Just from memory, Leander, played major parts in all of our last 6 goals v Leics, Spurs, Bees.
Did he?

Yes for Spurs goal he scored, fair play for following up. Raul's goal was after he classically totally mi**** his shot into the ground, which the keeper inexplicably fluffed into his path.
Last night he won a header that was knocked back by Raul to Ruben to shoot, but not really a major part. For Podence's goal, a short pass was neat but really that was simply a great individual goal. If he was involved in Joao's and Ruben's goals at Brentford was was very small time.

Credit to him for being in there, but his involvement was not major was it, were any of them genuine assists? No, it was down to individual brilliance by other players for 4 of them (Neves twice, Moutinho once, and Podence once), then a mis-hit shot that the keeper fluffed, and a jammy rebound off a post that he tapped in.

Don't get me wrong, he has been better in a 3 man midfield. But jeez if you called his contribution as 'major parts' in all 6 of these goals, its a bit far-fetched a description. He works bloody hard I will grant you and is a great lad who never complains.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Tielemans was by far the best midfielder, and player, on the pitch yesterday. Gulf in class and played those through the lines balls that Neves doesn't do enough. He doesn't have more talent than Neves, but there is a reason Barca and PSG are linked with him & not Neves at the moment.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tielemans was by far the best midfielder, and player, on the pitch yesterday. Gulf in class and played those through the lines balls that Neves doesn't do enough. He doesn't have more talent than Neves, but there is a reason Barca and PSG are linked with him & not Neves at the moment.
strange the leicester paper gave him a 6 and said his set pieces were poor which they were

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dendoncker has been better in recent games, started off the game Sunday really well I thought, but got less involved as the game went on and the less said about his spoon to put the Leicester player in the better!

A recent improvement is a start but he still has some way to go to make up for the year or so of consistently poor performances

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He has done better recently, and started well yesterday, but then just faded too, and in fact became a liability. Even his biggest fan Liam Keen remarked upon his poor game in his player ratings in the Express and Star: - "A very good first half-hour was followed by a few sloppy passes and Dendoncker was fortunate they were not punished". Gave him a 6 .

But yesterday, Moutinho wasn't at the races at all and was rightly subbed. He was not looking fit to me. Also felt Ruben struggled somewhat, maybe due to quality around him.

But how anyone could have watched yesterday and not seen that our midfield is so immobile is beyond me. Its not a case of hating a player (well not for me), its watching what I see week in week out. I know Ruben is the key, the quality, I know Mouts has quality too but is 35. Donk is a great lad too, a 'harrasser', but he needs upgrading even if that sounds harsh. How much better would we be with a mobile CM alongside Neves.
lol didn't read

Dendoncker rules.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tielemans is a classy player, but he’s not getting better really and wants out. Neves is getting better as the season goes on. Neves is a bargain to be had at 60m Tielemans will probably cost the same with his contract running down. Wonder if citeh will make a move for him??

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a position we definately need to strengthen this summer. I presume we're in the same position that we need to sell before investing heavily in the team.
We will possibly need 2 with Moutinho coming to the end of his career, have we sanchez lined up?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

At the bare minimum regardless of formation we play with two rigid holding midfielders, so you could get the most mobile midfielder in the world and Bruno would still want them to “sit”

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Tielemans is a classy player, but he’s not getting better really and wants out. Neves is getting better as the season goes on. Neves is a bargain to be had at 60m Tielemans will probably cost the same with his contract running down. Wonder if citeh will make a move for him??
Dunno how Neves is getting better and Tielemans isn't tbh, same age and Tielemans has already tied his best goalscoring season this year.

R

reanswolf

At the bare minimum regardless of formation we play with two rigid holding midfielders, so you could get the most mobile midfielder in the world and Bruno would still want them to “sit”
That depends whether he plays with 2 or 3 CMs though surely? I get it that he will want 2 to sit, but I don't know what he thinks. Does he want a 3-man midfield? If he plays 3, imagine a more effective Donk alongside Neves and another. Not an easy position to fill I accept.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The lesson from the past couple games is, Leander needs to get his butt into the box rather than get lost in MF along the way. As reamswolf pointed out, his involvement in the last 4 goals was strictly about him being there, and being aware. CB skills combined with fantastic luck were enough.

hambaps

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely abysmal first half, launched 3 of West ham's best attacks single handedly. Genuinely Kilman would be a better option there.

Back
Top Bottom