Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Is Dendoncker our most important player?

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You don't get a lot of caps for a top international side like Belgium for nothing. He has been through a bad patch and sometimes been asked to play an attacking role he is not suited to. I still think he is best as a CB but his flexibility and effort are very important for the squad. Yes we need a quality central midfielder but for me Dendonk is a vital member of the squad. Well done today.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You don't get a lot of caps for a top international side like Belgium for nothing. He has been through a bad patch and sometimes been asked to play an attacking role he is not suited to. I still think he is best as a CB but his flexibility and effort are very important for the squad. Yes we need a quality central midfielder but for me Dendonk is a vital member of the squad. Well done today.
Steve McManaman / John Barnes ?

But yes, a useful squad player but I don't want to see him playing week in week out and failing to make basic challenges for the ball.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was good today so credit where it's due, but it's also by far and away his beat performance in 18 months. If he can play like this regularly then that's back to how he was when he first joined us. Playing in a 3 helped.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dendoncker reminds me of Lampard without the ability to strike the ball. He's ALWAYS in the right place but he likewise always blazes it over.

Nevertheless, wonderful to see him do so well today!

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He was good today so credit where it's due, but it's also by far and away his beat performance in 18 months. If he can play like this regularly then that's back to how he was when he first joined us. Playing in a 3 helped.

He suits a 3 far more than a two, a good performance from him today, scored but also made some important challenges.

R

reanswolf

Pretty much what I think most Wolves fans feel.

R

reanswolf

It seems that Lage doesn't agree with those on the Mix slagging off the Donk...

expressandstar.com: Bruno Lage: Leander Dendoncker is Wolves' unsung hero.
I think that is frankly a laughable bit of journalism, what prat Liam Keen is. He has only played well once. No, unsung hero refers to Saiss or Semedo. Not a player who plays well one game.

Don't get me wrong, he played well at Spurs and long may that continue. I want him to prove me wrong, but he has been substandard for too long. But he is a good lad and rarely seems to moan.

Bruno isn't going to hang his players out to dry is he, it's easy to say a few good words after one good game, but the fact he places him on the bench so often tells you a lot more about Bruno's true thoughts - beyond the fluffy, nice comment, that is to utilise him as a squad player but not valued as a 1st team regular. Which would seem to reflect the thoughts of many of those Wolves fans deemed as critics simply for voicing opinion on a forum. No one has booed him at a game for instance, certainly not when I have been there. But having opinions is one thing, booing a player and getting on his back is different altogether.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that is frankly a laughable bit of journalism, what prat Liam Keen is. He has only played well once. No, unsung hero refers to Saiss or Semedo. Not a player who plays well one game.

Don't get me wrong, he played well at Spurs and long may that continue. I want him to prove me wrong, but he has been substandard for too long. But he is a good lad and rarely seems to moan.

Bruno isn't going to hang his players out to dry is he, it's easy to say a few good words after one good game, but the fact he places him on the bench so often tells you a lot more about Bruno's true thoughts. Which would seem to reflect the thoughts of many of those Wolves fans deemed as critics simply for voicing opinion on a forum. No one has booed him at a game for instance, certainly not when I have been there. But having opinions is one thing, booing a player and getting on his back is different altogether.
In general l agree with your last para. Sadly some have done exactly what you say shouldn't happen though. There were several AHs in the North Bank Upper at the Arsenal game for example.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It seems that Lage doesn't agree with those on the Mix slagging off the Donk...
expressandstar.com: Bruno Lage: Leander Dendoncker is Wolves' unsung hero.
Seems rather like damning with faint praise by Bruno, seeing as he's benched Dendoncker for most of this season. This feels a bit like when your local amateur side praises the "clubman", the less talented chap who nonetheless turns up every week, trains hard and happily sits on the bench or runs the line. The gaffer only really starts Donck when we want to flood the midfield for some away games, or if we have injury problems with centre mids and wingers as we do now. When Neves and Moutinho are fit and if Neto and Hwang return well, Donk won't be getting a look in and a lot of that is because he hasn't earned a starting place through his performances.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

Seems rather like damning with faint praise by Bruno, seeing as he's benched Dendoncker for most of this season. This feels a bit like when your local amateur side praises the "clubman", the less talented chap who nonetheless turns up every week, trains hard and happily sits on the bench or runs the line. The gaffer only really starts Donck when we want to flood the midfield for some away games, or if we have injury problems with centre mids and wingers as we do now. When Neves and Moutinho are fit and if Neto and Hwang return well, Donk won't be getting a look in and a lot of that is because he hasn't earned a starting place through his performances.
There’s nothing wrong with being a good clubman. That why teams give awards to recognise the value.

Donck has been an integral part of getting us to where we are and he still has potential to get better. While he is happy to be at the club then I think we should avoid making him a scapegoat, and be thankful we have him in the squad at this particular point in time (particularly when we don’t appear to be going to buy anyone else for the foreseeable).

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Bruno isn't going to hang his players out to dry is he, it's easy to say a few good words after one good game, but the fact he places him on the bench so often tells you a lot more about Bruno's true thoughts - beyond the fluffy, nice comment, that is to utilise him as a squad player but not valued as a 1st team regular. Which would seem to reflect the thoughts of many of those Wolves fans deemed as critics simply for voicing opinion on a forum. No one has booed him at a game for instance, certainly not when I have been there. But having opinions is one thing, booing a player and getting on his back is different altogether.
Bruno did say he didn`t understand the tactics.
you can either blame Donc. for that or Bruno for not explaining them correctly

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s nothing wrong with being a good clubman. That why teams give awards to recognise the value.

Donck has been an integral part of getting us to where we are and he still has potential to get better. While he is happy to be at the club then I think we should avoid making him a scapegoat, and be thankful we have him in the squad at this particular point in time (particularly when we don’t appear to be going to buy anyone else for the foreseeable).
Oh, yes. He should certainly have our support when he plays, which will be important seeing as he will be first choice central midfielder next season *ducks for cover*

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Donk had a good game at Brentford also, with a hand in both goals so not accurate to slag off Keen on the basis that Donk has only had 1 good game.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dendoncker reminds me of Lampard without the ability to strike the ball. He's ALWAYS in the right place but he likewise always blazes it over.

If he consistently puts away a good chunk of his chances then i would have no qualms with his overall contribution. Let's hope it continues.

R

reanswolf

Donk had a good game at Brentford also, with a hand in both goals so not accurate to slag off Keen on the basis that Donk has only had 1 good game.
To call him an unsung hero is way OTT. So yes, I think he does need pulling up on that.

Players like Saiss and Semedo are our unsung heroes, players who have consistently performed at the top of their game week in week out, for little praise.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately Dendoncker is in a VERY long list of wolves players over the years that a portion of fans turn on and become a scapegoat and nothing they do will change their mind.

He’s clearly not Zidane but hes also nowhere near as bad as some make out. If he put a transfer request in tomorrow there’d be plenty of premier league clubs who’d have him.

R

reanswolf

Unfortunately Dendoncker is in a VERY long list of wolves players over the years that a portion of fans turn on and become a scapegoat and nothing they do will change their mind.

He’s clearly not Zidane but hes also nowhere near as bad as some make out. If he put a transfer request in tomorrow there’d be plenty of premier league clubs who’d have him.
Be interesting to see how much we could get for him.
Personally, I don't think we could get much.
Having said that, if he ups his game to those standards of the first 2 seasons then I would happily reappraise.
Personally I can't see many premier clubs offering much for him.

Having said all that, I have heard Wolves fans en-masse turn on players and make a scapegoat out of them, from Geoff Palmer to Paul Butler, from Paul Stewart to Paul Cook, which is disgusting and something I would never dream of.

People might question Donk's application and ability, but I have never heard fans have a go at games, on mass at least.

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Reminds you of Lampard if you told him he was superman and the ball was cryptonite?

He reminds me of Jeanne Claude Van Damme if JCVD was a crap footballer not an actor, and had different hair, and looked different, and was taller

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Be interesting to see how much we could get for him.
Personally, I don't think we could get much.
Having said that, if he ups his game to those standards of the first 2 seasons then I would happily reappraise.
Personally I can't see many premier clubs offering much for him.

Having said all that, I have heard Wolves fans en-masse turn on players and make a scapegoat out of them, from Geoff Palmer to Paul Butler, from Paul Stewart to Paul Cook, which is disgusting and something I would never dream of.

People might question Donk's application and ability, but I have never heard fans have a go at games, on mass at least.
I think you’ve done him a bit of a disservice there. He’d get into a lot of teams, he gets through huge amounts of work which is unnoticed like tracking runners, pressing and rarely gives the ball away. Obviously he’s not the most expansive player but he’s not in there for that. He’d significantly improve most teams in the bottom half.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you’ve done him a bit of a disservice there. He’d get into a lot of teams, he gets through huge amounts of work which is unnoticed like tracking runners, pressing and rarely gives the ball away. Obviously he’s not the most expansive player but he’s not in there for that. He’d significantly improve most teams in the bottom half.
Wasn’t there a rumour a couple of seasons ago Juventus were planing a bid for him. £20M I think was mentioned.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn’t there a rumour a couple of seasons ago Juventus were planing a bid for him. £20M I think was mentioned.
Yeah there was talk of that. I actually think he’ll go this summer as I’m sure he only has a year left on his contract. At a £12 million price we paid we’ll easily make our money back. 26, 100 plus games in the premier league, 25 caps from a strong international side will get us a few million profit for sure

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah there was talk of that. I actually think he’ll go this summer as I’m sure he only has a year left on his contract. At a £12 million price we paid we’ll easily make our money back. 26, 100 plus games in the premier league, 25 caps from a strong international side will get us a few million profit for sure
I hope that he doesn't go but as you say there would doubtless be interest if he was made available.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doncks is a useful utility player whose form has been awful for two seasons so let's not pretend otherwise. One good game doesn't change that but I'd be happy if he contributed going forwards for sure.

R

reanswolf

Doncks is a useful utility player whose form has been awful for two seasons so let's not pretend otherwise. One good game doesn't change that but I'd be happy if he contributed going forwards for sure.
Bang on mate.

I have watched him closely for many games, very closely. He tracks back but is nearly always chasing shadows rather than getting the ball. His stats are appalling. And he is very poor with the ball.

I don't want to, or enjoy feeling that way about a Wolves player, and I want him to turn things around. I will support him at a game.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bang on mate.

I have watched him closely for many games, very closely. He tracks back but is nearly always chasing shadows rather than getting the ball. His stats are appalling. And he is very poor with the ball.

I don't want to, or enjoy feeling that way about a Wolves player, and I want him to turn things around. I will support him at a game.
I don’t think any of the midfielders jobs is to “get the ball”. There was an article with a player for us recently (can’t think who) about Bruno’s philosophy when we don’t have the ball is to press and put the opposition into “traps” whereby they end up giving the ball away rather than being tackled. I too watch dendoncker (who i agree with hasn’t been in great form) but his tracking back and pushing players into those positions for traps is very good.

Back
Top Bottom