Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

U18 & U23 news and info...

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking at the fixtures list it seems that our nder 23s are playing on Sunday at 2pm. Is this right that they are playing the same tijme as the first team? If this is correct why would the club agree to that?

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking at the fixtures list it seems that our nder 23s are playing on Sunday at 2pm. Is this right that they are playing the same tijme as the first team? If this is correct why would the club agree to that?

I think it’s happened a few times before. Can’t see it being a massive issue on a few occasions.

What are your concerns? The squad will be fairly young and not close to first team contention (the likes of Cundle, Bueno etc will all be with the first team) so we’re not leaving the first team short. The u23s will be weaker but the club have said time and again, they don’t worry about results too much but they do prioritise giving the younger lads exposure higher up… this’ll be the perfect opportunity

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it’s happened a few times before. Can’t see it being a massive issue on a few occasions.

What are your concerns? The squad will be fairly young and not close to first team contention (the likes of Cundle, Bueno etc will all be with the first team) so we’re not leaving the first team short. The u23s will be weaker but the club have said time and again, they don’t worry about results too much but they do prioritise giving the younger lads exposure higher up… this’ll be the perfect opportunity
My main concern is that I cant see anything in its favour. Anything that can be done at that time can be done at another time.
Any fans that might have gone to the match or watch it on WolvesTV have to make the choice between one or the other. Players and staff of the under 23s cannot take any part in the senior game or watch it.
I still feel that the likes of Cundle, Bueno, Jordao will still get benefit from playing and keeping up their fitness. Also improve their playing. Our under 23s do not play that brilliantly that they cannot find any improvement at this level in their game. If that was the case we would be up at the top of the league not getting pulverised at times by the better sides. In theory if we were in the top league we would be playing against better players.
At the moment it seems that any of our younger players have to be shelved out on loan to improve which is not necessarily the case. They will play a different type of game and be coached by the adopted club. I admit we are far from being the only club to suffer from this.
Anyway I will miss watching the match against the saints which could easily have been avoided.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My main concern is that I cant see anything in its favour. Anything that can be done at that time can be done at another time.
Any fans that might have gone to the match or watch it on WolvesTV have to make the choice between one or the other. Players and staff of the under 23s cannot take any part in the senior game or watch it.
I still feel that the likes of Cundle, Bueno, Jordao will still get benefit from playing and keeping up their fitness. Also improve their playing. Our under 23s do not play that brilliantly that they cannot find any improvement at this level in their game. If that was the case we would be up at the top of the league not getting pulverised at times by the better sides. In theory if we were in the top league we would be playing against better players.
At the moment it seems that any of our younger players have to be shelved out on loan to improve which is not necessarily the case. They will play a different type of game and be coached by the adopted club. I admit we are far from being the only club to suffer from this.
Anyway I will miss watching the match against the saints which could easily have been avoided.

Have a lie down mate, it's not that serious!

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see what the side is for tomorrows game for the u23's. I think that the likes of Roberts, Hubner, Lembikisa, Birtwistle will now be full time u23's apart from the Youth Cup. Would like to see Fraser getting more games for the u23's as well. I do wonder if we will invest in some strikers for the u23's as we are really lacking in this area for me.

I know we were linked with a young striker from Ireland a week or so back but havent seen anything since.

Would also love to know what is going on with Joe Hodge. Still hasnt kicked a ball for us since signing from Man City in the summer on a 3 year deal. The Man City fans really rate him as well.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Curious that the Under-23's can't score goals, either. Mid-table but have scored the fewest goals in the league. So it's endemic to the club, not just the first team.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Curious that the Under-23's can't score goals, either. Mid-table but have scored the fewest goals in the league. So it's endemic to the club, not just the first team.
Coaching, tactics or do we just recruit the 'wrong-type' of players? Interesting!

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coaching, tactics or do we just recruit the 'wrong-type' of players? Interesting!
Our best u23s get loaned out.

I.e. Corbeanu

Samuels is back now, I kinda hope he doesn't play. He's always scored goals at u23 level but I'd prefer the minutes were given to a player who would develop using those minutes (e.g. Fraser, Harkin et al).

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm presuming Chem Campbell is injured? No sign of him in the pics training with the first team last week or over the Christmas period.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting little piece on the Wolves Academy site about Dexter Lembikisa, who was on the bench for us against Sheff Utd at the weekend. Apparently has developed rapidly in the last few months. A wing back who can play further forwards and on both sides. Signed a pro deal recently. I have watched him a few times and he looks a good prospect. Bruno appears to rate him.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's good to see Corbeanu impress on his debut for MK Dons. A good season in League One and maybe one on loan to a Championship club next season.

I read that his contract ends in June 2023. He seems an ambitious and talented lad so hopefully we are working on a new contract for him even if it's just to protect his value.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Interesting little piece on the Wolves Academy site about Dexter Lembikisa, who was on the bench for us against Sheff Utd at the weekend. Apparently has developed rapidly in the last few months. A wing back who can play further forwards and on both sides. Signed a pro deal recently. I have watched him a few times and he looks a good prospect. Bruno appears to rate him.
He’s fantastic. One to really look out for.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Seems to have jumped ahead of Bueno unless Bueno is injured or going out on loan.
Bueno has been on the bench a couple of times. Maybe Bruno was just using the cup game as a chance to show Lembikisa what being in the squad was like.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bueno has been on the bench a couple of times. Maybe Bruno was just using the cup game as a chance to show Lembikisa what being in the squad was like.

Did notice that Bueno wasnt in the training pics last week.

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Bueno will be off on loan somewhere this month

westside wolf

Reaction score
Lewis Richards is 20, I believe, and the best loan he can get is Harrogate. Doesn't feel like a great sign he's ever going to progress to the first team.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lewis Richards is 20, I believe, and the best loan he can get is Harrogate. Doesn't feel like a great sign he's ever going to progress to the first team.
Better for him to go somewhere he is likely to play than a level or two up where he may not.
Harrogate will be a step up from u23 football.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Players develop at different speeds and stages, this is his first outing and hopefully he'll play regularly as per @Minimalist, then we'll see what happens.

Personally, whilst I like him, I haven't seen enough from him to suggest he'll play in the first team for us, but loans are often the making of players. That said, we also need to get away from the mentality that every youth player should be a first teamer - never going to happen. We develop them in the hope they will be, but as per an article I posted earlier this week, 97% of them don't. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try and then even if he doesn't play for us, hopefully he goes on to have a good career somewhere else and potentially raises us a few bob in the process to continue that cycle

westside wolf

Reaction score
Players develop at different speeds and stages, this is his first outing and hopefully he'll play regularly as per @Minimalist, then we'll see what happens.

Personally, whilst I like him, I haven't seen enough from him to suggest he'll play in the first team for us, but loans are often the making of players. That said, we also need to get away from the mentality that every youth player should be a first teamer - never going to happen. We develop them in the hope they will be, but as per an article I posted earlier this week, 97% of them don't. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try and then even if he doesn't play for us, hopefully he goes on to have a good career somewhere else and potentially raises us a few bob in the process to continue that cycle

I don't disagree with any of that, but I wonder how much we will have spent on him during that time. Not a criticism of him, but there must be a break-even sale price for any academy player?

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't disagree with any of that, but I wonder how much we will have spent on him during that time. Not a criticism of him, but there must be a break-even sale price for any academy player?

It's not even about breaking even on every individual player: we'll never develop youngsters for our first team if we don't also develop youngsters who won't make the first team. Robbie Keane needed teammates when he was 16!

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not one for jumping on players, especially youngsters but I don't rate him at all....think he will struggle to make a league 2 player personally...I hope I'm wrong......

Last edited:

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not even about breaking even on every individual player: we'll never develop youngsters for our first team if we don't also develop youngsters who won't make the first team. Robbie Keane needed teammates when he was 16!
Precisely. It's like some people want an under 23 team made up of Phil Foden level players. The attitudes i find most concerning in this modern world is that people seem to completely forget that these are young men who have put their life and soul to try and make it as a professional footballer. They aren't commodities, they're human beings. Have some empathy for their ability levels and potential future careers, at whichever level that may be.

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose the odds are he is unlikely to be a premier league player but I would have thought he has a good chance of making it as a professional player - he is definitely one of the better, more reliable players in our u23s in my opinion. A consistent, steady sort of player. Miles ahead of say, Estrada, Carty, Hodnett, Samules or Hesketh for me but a bit unlucky in that he has been shifted around from centre half to left back to cover for others and so he hasnt nailed any particular spot down and there are some good players competing with him. Bueno really is a good prospect in my view and now it seems Lembiska is highly rated. Then there are Marques, Sanderson, Lonwijk, and Tipton at centre half...We are strong in those areas.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really rate Richards and yes time he went out on loan.
I definitely think if it had not been for his injuries he would be well ahead of where he is now. Hopefully he is over them and this loan will allow him to build up to full strength again.
Scott I think was very good last season but has not done as well this season. So again that could be a good move.
Bueno again coming back from injury and there is a good player there.

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I definitely think if it had not been for his injuries he would be well ahead of where he is now. Hopefully he is over them and this loan will allow him to build up to full strength again.
Scott I think was very good last season but has not done as well this season. So again that could be a good move.
Bueno again coming back from injury and there is a good player there.
Jack Scott is a strange one. He was looking really good last year but he looks like he has gone backwards this term. Mind you he is another one who has been messed about in terms of position. He has played left centre half and left back and it seems to me he has struggled to adapt again each time he has switched.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nathan Fraser equalised in the 3rd minute of injury time to send us into extra time

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nathan Fraser equalised in the 3rd minute of injury time to send us into extra time
Wolves progressed to the next round winning 6-5 on penalties

Griffiths 1-1
Keri-Diwaya 2-2
Esen miss 2-3
Lembikasa 3-4
Tipton 4-4
Roberts 5-5
Francis Burrell 6-5

Well done lads… showed great character to come back from a goal down early on and also trailing 4-2 in the penalty shootout

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Griffiths 1-1
Keri-Diwaya 2-2
Esen miss 2-3
Lembikasa 3-4
Tipton 4-4
Roberts 5-5
Francis Burrell 6-5

Well done lads… showed great character to come back from a goal down early on and also trailing 4-2 in the penalty shootout

****ing brilliant! Great day for the u18's and the first team!

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Griffiths 1-1
Keri-Diwaya 2-2
Esen miss 2-3
Lembikasa 3-4
Tipton 4-4
Roberts 5-5
Francis Burrell 6-5

The starting team was

Arinbjornsson

Birtwhistle
Kandola
Tipton
Hubner
Lembikasa

Rees
Griffiths

Roberts
Fraser
Barnett