Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Palace verdict

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm surprised Hwang didn't come off for Traore, he looked off the pace today

Our central midfield is the most pressing issue imo. Beggars belief we've only got one more option there
Dendoncker isn’t even an alternative option - he’s painfully slow and seems incapable of playing a forward pass.
To let MGW go out on loan, and sell Otasawie was a shocking transfer window leaving us effectively youth players to fill the bench.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno essentially has two conundrums to solve, both of which are hindering our progression. Who and how he replaces Coady and Moutinho?
To be fair, I think that seems out of his control when it seems Jeff is leading our recruitment

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
As I said earlier other than the goals I haven’t seen any of it but it is evident with many of the players we have we will always get performances like this .
There are so many issues we need to address ,size of squad ,what system we play ,more commanding central defenders,greater mobility and physicality in midfield,a greater scoring presence and better use of our substitutes
Some are more of a priority than others but collectively they all add up to yesterday.We are having to get a tune out of what we have and yes we have had a good run but the issues still have to be addressed.
I said at the start of the season that after what we all endured for 18 months and the turmoil of Nuno going I would be happy to hover round midway and stay out of trouble .That said that can’t be the norm because we do need to push on

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Dendoncker isn’t even an alternative option - he’s painfully slow and seems incapable of playing a forward pass.
To let MGW go out on loan, and sell Otasawie was a shocking transfer window leaving us effectively youth players to fill the bench.
I agree

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa - clueless? Let’s take 10 minutes to take a goal kick attract the palace press then give it away. What the **** is this tactic about? 4

Coady - shouldn’t have started . Got bullied. 1

Saiss - thought he was fouled for the goal to be fair . 2

Kilman - not his best game . Wandering forward aimlessly at times . 5

Semedo - 1 absolute disaster for the goal

Ait nouri - 6 only player with any credit really. Took someone on multiple times and actually looked like he wanted to have a go

Moutinho - 1 got a lesson in controlling a match by McCarthy . Embarrassing

Neves - 3 on his own out there in midfield and on a different wavelength to anyone else on our team

Trincao - possibly the worst performance in a wolves shirt since we’ve come back to prem. Cannot understand why he starts . 0

Hwang - diabolical . Cheat. Waste of space . Flick here. Lose the ball there . 0

Jimenez - no service but so lazy at times - 2

Overall some harsh scores, when in reality Bruno completely lost us the match by getting palace bully us in the midfield . Completely clueless at changing a game before it’s too late.

Dendoncker for Trincao and traore for hwang at half time and we probably win that match
Blimey.

Thats a total of 25 points for 11 players!

Every couple in Strictly Come Dancing got more than that last night!

it is going to be interesting when the January transfer window arrives because it is obvious we need reinforcements especially in midfield. Someone like Gallagher of Palace, who is a livewire and makes a nuisance of himself would be ideal. Renato Sanches could be that player imo. We also need a ‘tough guy‘ in there as well to stop us being bullied. Play him in front of our back 3 or 4 and push Neves and (hopefully) Sanches further forward. Neto will hopefully be back in January as well and I do hope he will be the same player after his serious injury. He will make a difference.

Bruno’s squad is more or less what Nuno had to choose from with the exception of Hwang and Trincao. Let him get his own players in (sooner rather than later) and get a consistent style of play. We are very inconsistent this season, brilliant to watch at times and awful at others.

What does baffle me is that when we play badly it is every player, not just 3, 4 or 5 but the whole team. It was the same under Nuno and it is still the same with Bruno.

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I regret to write that this defeat is to put to the credit of the officials including those in charge of the VAR of the match and to our Manager. Let me start with the officials. Wolves were denied a clear penalty, AIT did not stop after he was fouled outside, but it was the second tripping by Ward which was surely on the line if the penalty area if not even inside it, but once again the VAR went against Wolves. I hope before I die, I will be able to view a VAR decision going in Wolves favour. It will be a huge achievement as immediately there is going to be a VAR decision, I immediately say, why did they bother to check it, their decisions are always against Wolves. The second goal had two infringements against Wolves and both were discarded. First there was a foul and then a clear hands ball by the scorer. Not this count I have also to fault our players in these VAR decisions, you can see the Palace players rounding the referee all the time their is going to be a decision against them, while our players become sheep not Wolves during these actions, and therefore the VAR people would notice such emotions and decide in favour of those who make the more shouting. Our players should also show their emotions and do not allow others to take advantage of their honesty.

I think that Bruno was incorrect with using the same players as he did against Everton. He should have only remembered the first half of that match and forgotten the performance of the second half of our players. He should have rotated some of our players. He should know that our players played late on Monday, normally they do not train on Tuesday, trained only on Wednesday and Thursday, and travelled to London on Friday and therefore Crystal Palace players had 48 hours of rest more than our players and had no travelling for the match. Surely he should have brought in Adama from the start, Potence and Marcial at half time. Palace play very rough football.

Now our players will go around the world due to the international break and turn up on Thursday or even Friday before the match.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's a reason Palace was almost sold out and they haven't lost at home this season.
At the Everton game I was saying to my mates trust me Bruno's clever, he's telling Adama, Boly and Hoever they are starting against Palace, a strong team that we need to physically fight against.
As soon as I saw the team sheet I knew it was going to be a tough day to get anything.
They saved themselves for the second half, something we used to do, and we didn't react, got bullied way too easily.
My verdict: Poor team selection, poor trust in squad, poor information on the team we're playing against.
Great last point. It’s obviously not the case but if Bruno came out and said “we didn’t really bother to look at Palace so just set up the same way as the last win” then I wouldn’t exactly be shocked (obviously I would but the point still stands).

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was sat near the Wolves fans in the Palace section and have to say that it’s such a strange atmosphere at Selhurst. Yes it’s loud and pretty constant but it feels almost manufactured. There doesn’t seem to be any off the cuff passion, it’s not an intimidating atmosphere - it’s a bloke with a drum and a hundred or so people around him, a few flags and almost forced noise trying to pretend that they’re “ultra” fans from the continent.

It’s just a bit strange and doesn’t feel right even though it’s quite loud at times.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I don’t know if it has got mentioned but we are 2-0 down and yet Silva doesn’t come on until the 89th minute .What the heck is that supposed to achieve ?
I am beginning to wonder more and more about his transfer .I am desperate for him to succeed but he hardly gets any game time and hardly ever gets a run out with the U23’s .
I wish I could see into the future to see if he will actually have pushed on or whether he was confined to the drawer ‘Expensive mistake ‘?

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some match attendees said Gallagher was a bit sly but I wish we could find that type of midfield player .He has boundless enthusiasm and energy,gets around the pitch and can actually score goals from midfield
He's had a terrific start to the season. If he carries on like that I can see him getting into the Chelsea squad next season.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I was sat near the Wolves fans in the Palace section and have to say that it’s such a strange atmosphere at Selhurst. Yes it’s loud and pretty constant but it feels almost manufactured. There doesn’t seem to be any off the cuff passion, it’s not an intimidating atmosphere - it’s a bloke with a drum and a hundred or so people around him, a few flags and almost forced noise trying to pretend that they’re “ultra” fans from the continent.

It’s just a bit strange and doesn’t feel right even though it’s quite loud at times.
It was silent at 0-0.

Reactions: Ned

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The first goal we conceded yesterday was a shocker.

What on earth are Sa and Semedo doing?!

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some match attendees said Gallagher was a bit sly but I wish we could find that type of midfield player .He has boundless enthusiasm and energy,gets around the pitch and can actually score goals from midfield
He gets a lot of yellow cards (deserved a few yesterday) but he didn’t stop running. He did the dirty work (a lot) but also ran beyond the forwards and was good on the ball.

He’s got the freedom because of having a Kouyate and McArthur shaped safety net behind him.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some wild comments on here as usual
It certainly wasnt the worst performance ive ever seen,or anywhere near it tbh,but it was poor
We struggle against fast paced, high press teams
Brentford, Leeds, Everton [second half] now Palace

With that said there were some poor individual performances from us
Raul ,Trincao ,Semedo ,Coady all way below what they can do
Throw in no better than average from Mouts, Hwang, Saiss and its easy to see why we lost

Even though Semedo was poor yesterday, i dont get Traore going there
Since the window closed he has done absolutely nothing,he doesnt seem to want to be here to me,but fgs at least play him up front if your going to use him Bruno

I dont see any easy ways out of where we are,we dont have the players to alter our style,so we just need the ones that are here to perform,its that simple,we know they can do it but they have to do it consistently

We sadly need to upgrade Mouts,we need a strong CB,we need another strong CMF,and another striker
Things we all know we need, but doubt we will get until next summer

Its a do the best you can season for me, and hope we dont drop too much by christmas

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
The drum didn’t stop but a few hundred weirdos trying to make noise didn’t really do much.

It’s just a strange atmosphere, I can’t put my finger on it but it doesn’t seem like the atmosphere is actually real. I dunno.
It’s almost like they’ve been bigged up as having a good atmosphere when they’ve not, so their fans feel obliged to do something to make noise.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can’t believe what I’ve just seen on the highlights. Watch coady and saiss on the first goal . What the **** are they doing

Bob Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Common theme…

When teams let us play we look good - problem is that the teams that tend to do that are better than us and therefore we tend to lose - see beginning of the season.

When teams pressure us we look pretty poor in possession and lack ideas like last year. These teams are not so good man to man so we can still get decent results.

No coincidence best combination of a win and performance was against Everton who didn’t work very hard and man for man are probably similar standard.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I actually couldn't believe how bad the atmosphere was.

I know sometimes the noise doesn't travel as I sit in the Steve Bull and we'll come out and say it was great by us but a mate in the North Bank will say he couldn't really hear, so we were along way from behind the Palace goal but it was nothing. Perhaps it was expectation from them hyping themselves but it's just like any other ground. Very poor.

We weren't great either. Rowdy away end from the people I could see but we didn't really get going as people just wanted to sing one song for the whole game...

Also, their stewards were pathetic. Real jobsworths determined to cause a fuss when one wasn't really needed.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To me thats tactical and something the manager could deal with. He is a sweeper, he shouldnt be left to mark Benteke.
Agreed. Putting our smallest defender on their biggest striker was daft. I actually think playing a 4-2-3-1 yesterday would have really shocked palace and might have set us up better. But retrospect is easy isn't it!

R

reanswolf

Totally agree, based on yesterday's experience anyway. Ok they drum away for long spells but there was only about 100 singing along for the most part, but when they scored everyone sang along to the manufactured music songs bit like we do.

Im not knocking Palace, I found them to be decent fans, and I am sure it could be really loud when they play local games or the big boys but yesterday didnt really overly impress me. Its just so easy to create a good atmosphere in closed-in stadiums, hence for years I have hoped we would build a new Steve Bull stand at Molineux rather than in Park Village..

Last edited by a moderator:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed. Putting our smallest defender on their biggest striker was daft. I actually think playing a 4-2-3-1 yesterday would have really shocked palace and might have set us up better. But retrospect is easy isn't it!
Yes, we seem to have gone back to being inflexible again, same formation, only forced changes each match. Unlikely we'd have done any worse with 4-2-3-1 than we actually did and as you say, would have given them something they were unprepared for.

For some perspective, Palace have lost only 2 matches this season. And they were to Chelsea and Man City - the top two. Winning there was always a tall order and it's no disgrace to lose.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d pay 30m for him he’s worth every penny ran the show for Crystal Palace

Back
Top Bottom