Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nuno’s gone

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
How long has the club known this was on the cards? It seems weird that these t-shirts as part of a new range were released just this week. All very odd.

Screenshot_20210521-190039.png

Glass ankles

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have real mixed feelings about this. It feels very surreal.

Obviously gutted he's going. Such a genuine bloke who's given us great times over the last 4 seasons but you can tell something wasn't quite 100% with the fella and I put this down to covid and being away from family. So if he's leaving for these reasons, I totally understand, thank him for all the memories and wish him well for the future. Really hope Fosun havent pulled the trigger or he's left for spurs though.

On another note, Nunos hard work has helped put Wolves back in the spotlight. Should Fosun want to progress we could theoretically sign a very good manager as a replacement, so time will tell as to their ambition.

Top memories for me has to be Sheff United and cup game against United. Hope the fans that go on Sunday give him a huge send off.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still nothing from the players on social media

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A sad if not entirely unsurprising conclusion to a season that went off the rails with the transfer business last summer.

It's disappointing he isn't giving us one more season under "normal circumstances" and with a chance to see what the team could do after some corrective surgery in the summer.

Signing a new three-year contract and then departing a season later says something's gone awry behind the scenes along the way. I really hope he's not simply pitching up at Tottenham...

Yes, that makes sense to me - other than that last part about Spurs! Mentioned it here several times, something has looked "off" since the early part of this season. A lot of the visible decline this season makes sense now that Nuno has left. Even if he hadn't declared it, or even decided it, he must have been seriously considering it for months - or problems in the club management were filtering through to the staff and players.

It all seemed very positive around that contract signing time. The season started OK, it all seemed to go very awry a few weeks after the Raul injury. Maybe Nuno hadn't got the general injury cover he asked for? Maybe he hadn't bothered with injury cover and the owners blamed him for our injury problems? Seems strange that he's delivered what Fosun asked for this season - a mid table finish. There may be more disagreement behind the scenes, on how the club should be progressing, than just dropping 5 places in the league would imply. We'll probably never know the details. All professions tend to not rock the boat and not criticise their own field. They'll all want future careers so will keep quiet and move on.

Though doubtful at times, I also though the best manager for us next season would be Nuno, was keen for him to have one more season, too. I really can't see him going to Spurs though! Too many people know that Nuno's tactical style is very similar to Mourinho's.

Amsterdam Wolf

Reaction score
Absolutely gutted. Nuno was very much responsible for the positive culture at the club in recent years. The pack mentality , stronger together, the importance of club to the city of Wolverhampton, giving back to the community out of his own pocket etc. A fine individual and human being, a very good football manager and a leader who led his team with natural grace and style. Very very big shoes to fill.
I wish the successor well and he will have my full support yet Nuno for me shall always be the special one for Wolves.

wolveslegend

Groupie
Reaction score
Nuno is a great bloke and has truly done his job brilliantly and given us memories that will last forever and for this he deserves full respect but the last 12 months have been a slow decline, ok we weren't relegated but the football has been utterly atrocious at times and this along with poor transfers which have wasted a lot of money . The transfers are not all Nunos fault and fosun really need to look at their record on a lot of buys since they took over. Football is a results game but also its now about entertaining and selling us to the world and the style we have ended up playing for the last 6 months isn't selling a thing, the players have given up and Nuno was clearly lost at times.
A fresh breeze blowing through the club is what is needed but also is the correct decisions.

love and respect to Nuno, a dignified man and role model to all.

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why would we release him to go to Spurs? We can get compensation as he's under contract.
Probably a question for the bookies mate. Though judging by recent threads on here, a sizeable minority would have driven him to White Hart Lane for free

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's hope we're not All unhappy this time next year. That won't be at all funny.
Precisely! We are all Wolves fans and in our own way, believe we know what's best for Wolves. Whether that is right for Wolves, no-one knows. What grates, is that those of us who wanted change are already being blamed by some who wanted Nuno to stay, for the bleak future that they're seeing in their hazy crystal balls! This isn't the time or place to start going down that road, hence my response. This thread is to celebrate Nuno's achievements, re-live wonderful memories (e.g. BCFC away last minute Benno goal and Nuno's mad celebrations high up in an executive box!!) and of course wish Nuno well. I wanted change but I love Nuno! Anyone who questions that can thank their lucky stars (or me mine cos you never know) they're doing it from the safety of their laptops/mobile phones.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's something that doesn't sit right with the time frame reported today.

Top Fox Wolf stated on here (what, three weeks ago?) that he'd been told Nuno was leaving this summer. This isn't a random poster taking a lucky punt, other posters have vouched for him and said that he has club connections. So, the club had decided this maybe a month ago, maybe even more. Johnny Phillips says there's been friction for months. Nuno is no mug, he will have known this was on the cards, and Mendes would, and likely the players would too, which would explain some of the gloom and apathy.

We don't know (yet; maybe we never will) where the friction started, maybe it was the January transfer window where it was obvious what was needed and instead Nuno got MGW and Cutrone back off loan, and the loan of Jose, which turned out to be poor. It may be he asked for funds and was told No, or it may be he was the one who said he was happy with the squad, and that turned out wrong. Maybe there was a fuss about funds not being available in the summer.

Nuno has used the royal 'we' in all his quoted comments about the summer, pre-season and next season, not once has he spoken in the way that he would be definitively in charge. He has just said 'Wolves' plan', not 'his' plan. There's no way, in my mind, this wasn't decided weeks ago, and that everyone involved kinda knew, even if it was only officially confirmed today.

This suggests that Fosun - unless they're bloody fools - already know who they want next. Money is down on Lage because of what Romano has reported on twitter, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if this sees us moving away from the Portuguese model (especially if Patricio, Moutinho and Neves are mooted to leave) and we now appoint a British manager (though I admit Lage or Fonseca seem more obvious; and, if this was decided last month, that coincides with Fonseca stepping down at Roma).

It hurts to see Nuno leave, but the hope now is that this wasn't knee-jerk in any way, and that Fosun still have the best interests of the club at heart and will invest in a top manager and players this summer. The fly in the ointment is that tweet (Leah, was it?) which stated that the money isn't there any more and that it will be transfers out, not transfers in; if that's the case, then we're screwed, and it's a pretty definitive statement that Fosun are pulling away, despite what Shi said in April.

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A few things I find a little strange....

“We have all the plans ready for pre-season; the date that we start, where we’re going to go, who we’re going to face, there’s only one small detail missing, but everything is planned"

This was 3 days ago, it seems very strange that he would say such a thing.... however was that "one small detail" himself?

I wish he was able to have a full pre season and get the players he wants however I'm grateful that some fans will at least be able to give him a send off,

I'm unsure on what I think of Bruno Lage to me it seems like a zenga type appointment to me, I feel as though with the players we have and they are Nunos players we need someone with a bit of experience to come in.
Been looking for that statement. Very intriguing

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gutted, I think he'd have turned it round next season if his lovely bearded head was in the right place. I was just thinking about his massive donation some months ago: as if it were ever needed this demonstrates that it was in no way tokenistic or insincere, that just isn't the great man's way.

If he goes to Spurs (I think he's got more sense than that tbh) I'd be hurt but wish him luck. Hope he heads home, is content and finds a good job there or Spain.

One silver lining in all this: at least we're all saved the ignominy of a separation on bad terms? Nah, **** that, it's gutting!
Yep and I was guilty of insinuating that it was. That's why I'm a grade A **** (sometimes) and Nuno's not! I hate this bloody pandemic for stopping 1000s from saying a proper goodbye to the great man! Would defo be a pitch invasion to carry him around Molineux!

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There's something that doesn't sit right with the time frame reported today.

Top Fox Wolf stated on here (what, three weeks ago?) that he'd been told Nuno was leaving this summer. This isn't a random poster taking a lucky punt, other posters have vouched for him and said that he has club connections. So, the club had decided this maybe a month ago, maybe even more. Johnny Phillips says there's been friction for months. Nuno is no mug, he will have known this was on the cards, and Mendes would, and likely the players would too, which would explain some of the gloom and apathy.

We don't know (yet; maybe we never will) where the friction started, maybe it was the January transfer window where it was obvious what was needed and instead Nuno got MGW and Cutrone back off loan, and the loan of Jose, which turned out to be poor. It may be he asked for funds and was told No, or it may be he was the one who said he was happy with the squad, and that turned out wrong. Maybe there was a fuss about funds not being available in the summer.

Nuno has used the royal 'we' in all his quoted comments about the summer, pre-season and next season, not once has he spoken in the way that he would be definitively in charge. He has just said 'Wolves' plan', not 'his' plan. There's no way, in my mind, this wasn't decided weeks ago, and that everyone involved kinda knew, even if it was only officially confirmed today.

This suggests that Fosun - unless they're bloody fools - already know who they want next. Money is down on Lage because of what Romano has reported on twitter, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if this sees us moving away from the Portuguese model (especially if Patricio, Moutinho and Neves are mooted to leave) and we now appoint a British manager (though I admit Lage or Fonseca seem more obvious; and, if this was decided last month, that coincides with Fonseca stepping down at Roma).

It hurts to see Nuno leave, but the hope now is that this wasn't knee-jerk in any way, and that Fosun still have the best interests of the club at heart and will invest in a top manager and players this summer. The fly in the ointment is that tweet (Leah, was it?) which stated that the money isn't there any more and that it will be transfers out, not transfers in; if that's the case, then we're screwed, and it's a pretty definitive statement that Fosun are pulling away, despite what Shi said in April.
If they'd given up to that extent, why would they sack Nuno and therefore have to pay compensation? I wonder if there's some Chinese whispers here, in that we need to sell to buy, which has been interpreted as no incomings.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep and I was guilty of insinuating that it was. That's why I'm a grade A **** (sometimes) and Nuno's not! I hate this bloody pandemic for stopping 1000s from saying a proper goodbye to the great man! Would defo be a pitch invasion to carry him around Molineux!
That's not how you spell ****.

Agreed, I'm gutted I can't be there.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just listened to a discussion about Nuno and Spurs on Talksport.

Surprised Nuno has gone given that he recently signed a new contract. They think there is more to it which might come out over the next few weeks. Wolves say they are ambitious but we’ll find out how ambitious with their next appointment. If Wolves don’t get right, they fear for them next season.

Spurs fans think he may be going there. Mixed reception but general feeling is that it would be a step up for him and he’s not the manager for them. As much as some Wolves fans might disagree Spurs are a bigger club than Wolves at this time.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Somebody posted pre the last few days they knew he was gone, I’m not surprised, but still shocked, if I’m honest I’m quite emotional about this, l know it’s only football and context and all that, but I’ve literally got tears in my eye

Somebody posted pre the last few days they knew he was gone, I’m not surprised, but still shocked, if I’m honest I’m quite emotional about this, l know it’s only football and context and all that, but I’ve literally got tears in my eyes.
Feels like the end of an era. So so disappointed I can't be there to see him off and show my appreciation.
If he's been shown the door it's a shockingly ruthless decision. It can only be that IMO as I believed him when he said only a few weeks ago that he knew what he was doing signing his contract and he would honour it. That was the reveal right there.
The news has also been followed by the information that no other vacancy is linked to the decision.
We can only back Fosun though and pray they get the next appointment right again.

Lycaon

Reaction score
Sorry guys, but surely you could have seen this coming, couldn’t you?
Didn’t quite expect it before the last game but not a surprise if I’m being honest!?

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The more I think about it the more angry I get.

Never mind all this “mutual” *******s, he was forced out or sacked in some way.

If ever I wanted to see a manager take a break, come back hungry and turn things around - this was it.

Looking at the options we are linked with and I’m not seeing anything that makes me ok with this decision.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry guys, but surely you could have seen this coming, couldn’t you?
Didn’t quite expect it before the last game but not a surprise if I’m being honest!?
Yes. Been coming for ages. Only happened now so fans can give him a respectful send off.

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Nuno had run out of ideas. Done amazing things for the club, goes with my best wishes. Hopefully he gets to spend some time with his family and recharge.

Coshamwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have real mixed feelings about this. It feels very surreal.

Obviously gutted he's going. Such a genuine bloke who's given us great times over the last 4 seasons but you can tell something wasn't quite 100% with the fella and I put this down to covid and being away from family. So if he's leaving for these reasons, I totally understand, thank him for all the memories and wish him well for the future. Really hope Fosun havent pulled the trigger or he's left for spurs though.

On another note, Nunos hard work has helped put Wolves back in the spotlight. Should Fosun want to progress we could theoretically sign a very good manager as a replacement, so time will tell as to their ambition.

Top memories for me has to be Sheff United and cup game against United. Hope the fans that go on Sunday give him a huge send off.
He signed a new contract under Covid and signed a new contract last September. Fosun sacked him.

Reactions: Ned
Back
Top Bottom