Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Brighton verdict

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Played really well first half but conceded another awful goal.

Game was completely dead and buried and all we had to do was take the sting out of any fast start they would have been aiming for at the start of the second half. Complete brain fade from a player who should know better absolutely changed the whole momentum of the game.

I’m obviously in the minority but I actually agreed with the Kilman change. The momentum had changed and we were looking hugely susceptible from set pieces so I can understand going back to the 3-4-3 and adding Kilman in there.

We still should have managed the game better but it all swings on that decision from Joao.

Special word for Adama. Simply brilliant and actually showed more fight and workrate than any of our other players.

Patricio 5
Semedo 7
Coady 5
Saiss 6
Ait-Nouri 5
Neves 7
Moutinho 4
Traore 8
Vitinha 6
Neto 6
Silva 5

Unforgivable to not pick up the win from that position.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did we learn nothing from the Man Utd match about surrendering midfield and sitting back? Ridiculous.

Also, we’d be ranting if that goal for Brighton was disallowed for us. Should have been all three points to them.
Nuno will never learn. He can’t resist going defensive and sitting back and it is costing us.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Classic Nuno I'm afraid. Within 18 minutes of being 3-1 up at halftime and comfortable, we had gone to 5 at the back and our defensive line was positioned deeper than the Titanic.

He never learns. Appreciate what he's done for us but the harsh truth is that if we want to "transition" to a more front foot, attacking style of play then he's not the man to oversee it. His mindset is inherently defensive/negative and that will always betray him.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love Nuno but my word it is the same damn thing time and time and time again. Rather than take the initiative he reverts to the hold em an hope tactic.

No idea why but tonight has absolutely rattled me this. I'd say it now and might well regret it but there has got to be something switching because there has got to be a point where he realises that it isnt working.

Forza Wolves

Groupie
Reaction score
The lack of options available from the bench is a damning indictment of our transfer policy, at some point we need to invest in having a bigger squad to allow us to compete, and that time probably should have been last summer. Got a lot of work to do, but Nuno will know will know better than anyone where we need to strengthen. It's a marathon, not a sprint, Nuno will get things right

k-dog

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Bringing on Kilman to defend a win against Brighton m sums it up. Semedo for Hoever next game, 3 at the back from the start, silva needs to do more, don’t care if he’s 12, if he’s good enough he’s old enough

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Substituting Vitinha for kilman at 3-2 confirms in my head that Nuno is too defensive to take us further.
Absolutely. Against a team like Brighton, keep trying to attack

D

Deleted member 11332

Moutinho cost us that

You can blame the manager all you like but the players have to show a bit of bottle

We are 12th without the majority of our best players and especially without a striker

He sent a centre half on and we concede from a corner. They are both on the manager.

We won't finish 12th we will be 16/17th this year on the basis of what I've seen.

DPE

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know we have some injuries but something really wrong. Poor across the entire team really. Gutted.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Positives
  • Semedo was strong defensively and offered plenty going forwards. Good he got an assist too.
  • Traore was superb, though should have passed to Semedo on more than one occasion.
  • Saiss gives us so much more presence from attacking set pieces. Great goal.
Negatives
  • Abysmal second half.
  • In an inexperienced team you expect more than that stupid challenge from Moutinho.
  • Silva looked a little boy lost tonight.
  • Left side was very poor. Ait-Nouri was defensively very poor again after a solid game at Old Trafford, and flattered to deceive going forwards. Neto did little other than the shot for the second goal. Not a lot of experience if Neto and Ait Nouri team up: that's a worry.
  • We cannot defend set pieces. We're missing Jimenez here, but I cannot understand why we have Traore back trying to win headers.
  • We're vulnerable to balls in behind full backs. Semedo did ok tonight but it gives every team we play against an out ball at worst and often a chance or two a game.
Other observations
  • We're like a budget Spurs at the moment. Park the bus and hope some individual brilliance from forwards will suffice. Even the switching between a back 3 and a back 4 mirrors them.
  • Vitinha looked neat and tidy but doesn't attack the box. Just prior to the near post chance he had blocked there was an opportunity to make a late dart in but he hung back on the edge of the box. He needs to make a dart in.
  • Players look knackered. I know Brighton played more recently than us, but the Spurs-Man Utd turnaround followed by another away game really had an effect I think.
  • That was very much a game for Dendoncker.

Last edited:

Mel Eves on a bike

Reaction score
Just haven't got the quality at the moment. Silva looks ponderous, one for the future we hear which is fine but he's not ready yet. Neither are Ait Nouri or Vitna imo. But weve little options but to play them at the moment.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2nd half was so poor. Started awful and never recovered, and there's no excuse for that.

Adama was class and Owen has to win it for us there.

Fuming that we've thrown that away, but Brighton fully deserved it. I've got no issues with the subs as hands were tied and we were getting exposed down that left hand side, which did tighten up after Max came on.

D

Deleted member 4184

Rui - 7
Semedo - 7
Coady - 7
Saiss - 6
Ait Nouri - 5
Neves - 9
Moutinho - 3
Traore - 8
Silva - 4 { zero service
Neto - 6

Has_Talisca_Signed

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yup. Safe to say, MOUTINHO lost us that game. Never looked like anything after they scored that. Silly from Nuno too. Gutted. Needed the 3 points to be fair.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The complaint of late has been the lack of goals yet today we score 3 and still only manage a draw. Not really sure what the answer is.

Penalty within seconds of the 2nd half starting set the tone for the rest of the game.

Subs were negative but really what options did Nuno have? Kilman coming on made sense at the time and I though Otasowie did well. Another missed header, same as Silva late on v Spurs, but not exactly a sitter.

Feels like a loss. Hey, at least we’re not Sheffield United.
Kilman didn’t make sense because it was us sitting back inviting pressure for 20+ mins yet again

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Played well first half apart from the defending for the brighton first goal.

Second half was disastrous it really was. Did we get complacent? We could of easily lost that game.

I will say it again we need investment a right sided centre half, strikers and someone who can put a foot on the ball in the middle we lack that snotter!

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shocking second half - we didnt get a man into their box until the last second.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno's risk averse mindset has cost us yet again. This lot were there for the taking and what do we do? Try to hold on to what we have got rather than go for the jugular and bury a very poor team. When you look at the quality we have in this team which is full of quality internationals, we have seriously under performed this season and I put a lot of the blame at Nuno's door.

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
Awful Awful 2nd half. Poor penalty to give away from our experienced player. Wrong subs and tactics for me from nuno, needed an extra cm not cb.

A lot of these young players look good players but need to physically bulk up. Nouri, silva especially

Adama best player for me. Neto poor second half.

Neto and moutinho looked knackered. Saiss should have done better for 1st and 3rd goals. Lost ball twice.

Big month ahead we need a win from somewhere

D

Deleted member 4184

He sent a centre half on and we concede from a corner. They are both on the manager.

We won't finish 12th we will be 16/17th this year on the basis of what I've seen.

The corner is Nuno's fault? Saiss lost his man (imagine my shock) and we conceded

Moutinho makes a stupid tackle in the area, that's nuno fault as well?

Did you see our bench? Have you seen the squad he has to work with???

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
we gave away a handed 3-1 they gave us 3 points on a plate whats happened to us is it the effect of covid and change of world or is it something else we seem average not up for things we are toothless in attack silva cant lead us we need a veteran man , costa would be great wont happen though. We can't be so negative .. what on earth are we working on in the training pitch. We will be a bottom half team this year, im disappointed and angry at that we will be 13th after arsenal best the baggies

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Masters of our own downfall today. Poor defending for all of their goals. Did well to get back in first half much the better team for the rest of the first half after the goal. Then a moment of madness from Mouts let's them back in. And from then on Brighton the better team and we were hanging on at the end. Defending second half I was worried every time Brighton went forward. Even so could have (undeservedly) won it with the last touch of the game

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho cost us the points. Noone else.
This guy used to have a football brain, but it has gone to pieces. He is not good enough anymore and it is getting painful watching him, as he is not controlling games, and making costly **** ups.
Seriously, why did he put his foot in for the penalty?

silverwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Unfortunately starting to get incredibly frustrated.

I know Nuno builds from the back and we are defensive in our approach (interestingly we can’t defend set prices however) but we are and have been incredibly dull to watch for a considerable period of time now.

Non of our attacking players seem to want to get hold of the ball and attack. It’s move it wide....stop and then play it back. Or it’s given to Traore who slows play down making any kind of forward run into the box by our attackers almost impossible to judge. And or he kicks it out. Tonight’s result however in no way traores fault...our best player today.

Just so poor. Even with 3 goals today, 1 an own goal, 1 a penalty and 1 a corner. Not a lot happening from open play. I know I have to have patience but I’m running out with such boring fare on offer.

Hopefully we start actually attempting to keep a ball and use if meaningfully in the near future.

All in all an incredibly disappointing result against a side who haven’t won at home. We were happy to concede possession and any attacking territory, make defensive substitutions and then as a result surrender our two goal lead.

Super NES

Groupie
Reaction score
Disgusting second half - 2 points dropped and we were lucky Alt Nouri got away with one. If we did score at the end it would have masked over the fact we were second best after we scored the third.

Our mentality and approach has to be questioned. Most teams would go out in the second half for the kill against a team on the ropes. We aim to sit back and defend, invite pressure and try to cling on. This mentality is ingrained in this squad at the moment which is not healthy. If we want to progress we need to switch from safety first and letting our players express themselves.

Also Moutinho needs to show his experience and leadership in this team. Giving away a pen 11 seconds in is something I would expect Alt Nouri, Kilman, Hoever etc to do - not our most experienced player.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kilman substitution was completely wrong. We lost midfield control completely.

We had no control in there from the minute we started the 2nd half and we're getting exposed down our left, so can see why he went for it.

Maybe Owen for Vitinha (who I'm struggling to see what he brings atm) would have been better in hindsight.

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hate what we have become.
I hate watching us.
I hate what I have written above.

Angry doesn't tell half the story.

Much how I feel were so bad at times I can't believe what I'm watching.

That 2nd half was a disgrace.

We are probably 4 players short of stopping in the division this transfer window will shape our season.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho cost us that

You can blame the manager all you like but the players have to show a bit of bottle

We are 12th without the majority of our best players and especially without a striker
Sorry but players showing they haven't got the bottle is down to the manager. He chooses the players, the tactics and the training.

Back
Top Bottom