Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nuno not happy with squad

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think some people are getting confused. We arent really in a transitional year, we are just trying to evolve as a squad. Yep, i think we have made some mistakes, and we have been unlucky with Raul, but i really dont get the doom and gloom. Its going to take time. Silva, RAN and Vitinha are going to be massive assets in 3 years imo. I know that doesnt sit well with some of you impatient buggers, but i believe its true. Its exactly the type of business as a club we need to involve ourselves in. I've been saying it for years now, we have to sign the De Bruyne's and the Mo Salah's before they become the finished article because we dont have the pulling power or finances to sign the finished article.

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
I think some people are getting confused. We arent really in a transitional year, we are just trying to evolve as a squad. Yep, i think we have made some mistakes, and we have been unlucky with Raul, but i really dont get the doom and gloom. Its going to take time. Silva, RAN and Vitinha are going to be massive assets in 3 years imo. I know that doesnt sit well with some of you impatient buggers, but i believe its true. Its exactly the type of business as a club we need to involve ourselves in. I've been saying it for years now, we have to sign the De Bruyne's and the Mo Salah's before they become the finished article because we dont have the pulling power or finances to sign the finished article.
Most of which I agree with. There are absolutely no guarantees though with young players. Whichever way you look at it, it is a gamble to some degree.

I really am glad for future planning and think the club is going the right way in the future. However, for this season we have left ourselves with a worse playing squad than the last 2 seasons. The results on the field are similar but nobody can deny that the performances and entertainment have been far less. We have regressed, let's hope it is temporary.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think people are reading far too much into things, especially the Nuno in charge of/complaining about the squad so he either must have been completely happy after the last window and it's all his fault or he wasn't happy, wasn't telling the truth and is going to walk.

For me a perfect window in the summer would have seen a powerful midfielder come in and another centre half. But then when you see what's happened over the past three months, we've seen Boly nowhere near his dominant best, Dendoncker unable to perform the attacking side of the box to box midfield role, a serious injury to our best player and now rumours of a rift with Traore. These weren't issues three months ago, now there's potentially four things which just need a few tweaks. This is what I take from the comment about rebalancing the squad. A few things haven't worked out as hoped for so it's an opportunity to just alter things slightly

Priority is short term cover for Raúl and support for Silva, also if the stories of Adama being unhappy and perhaps on his way are true then the likes of Origi or King fit the bill perfectly

The midfield, Dendoncker needs to be a destroyer, we still need someone to break forward though. Otasowie seems to have the raw ingredients but is nowhere near ready yet, not having someone performing in the attacking sense is hurting us

And would anyone object to bringing in a top class centre half?

A few issues that have arisen since the start of the season, but were by no means a desperate situation at the close of the window. It is quite possible that Nuno has full control, was happy with how he'd got the squad but things haven't quite worked out as he hoped so now he wants to rebalance things

I don't think there's the need for panic stations or assumptions that Nuno has never been happy with the squad he had

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

I don’t think Nuno ever said it was anybody else’s fault - just that he wasn’t happy with the squad?

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think Nuno ever said it was anybody else’s fault - just that he wasn’t happy with the squad?
Has he ever said he's not happy with the squad? Or just the squad needs rebalancing? The quote in the article at the head of this thread just says he's not happy with the balance of the squad after the injury to Raúl, but read through the thread... and that's not what's implied on the whole!

(Which I realise renders most of my own speculation redundant!)

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

Has he ever said he's not happy with the squad? Or just the squad needs rebalancing? The quote in the article at the head of this thread just says he's not happy with the balance of the squad after the injury to Raúl, but read through the thread... and that's not what's implied on the whole!

(Which I realise renders most of my own speculation redundant!)
You’re splitting hairs now - if he thinks the squad needs rebalancing, then surely he’s not completely happy with it?

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You’re splitting hairs now - if he thinks the squad needs rebalancing, then surely he’s not completely happy with it?
No, it suggests he was pretty happy with the balance of the squad until Raúl's injury. That's not splitting hairs, that's a completely different thing to not being happy with the squad per se

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You car keep buying young players for future if there's no incoming players for now.Jeff Shi said they want to improve every year,well they'd better get their fingers out and buy first teamers that we need.NOW.Well in a weeks time.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You car keep buying young players for future if there's no incoming players for now.Jeff Shi said they want to improve every year,well they'd better get their fingers out and buy first teamers that we need.NOW.Well in a weeks time.

You can balance it out better than we have, but its still important for a club like ours to develop young talent to compete.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How well balanced a squad is will depend on the playing style. We need a completely different balance if we are going to play four at the back rather than five. The only defenders we currently have suited to four at the back are Marcal and Jonny. Of late Boly needs the security Coady covering, Coady isn't that strong in the air nor is he quick, a bit of both the issues that apply to Boly and Coady apply to Saiss, Semedo and RAN look more wing backs than full backs though I think RAN could easily adapt given time. Kilman I'm not sure but to date he’s looked much better in a back five.

Up front we obviously need a centre forward and if he wants to start with Neto and Podence weaned some better options off the bench that can play similarly, Traore doesn't suit that role and the alternatives are inexperienced kids.

Nuno needs to decide how he wants to play going forwards because until he does he'll never have a balanced squad unless he expands it by a few players.

Last edited:

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry but I disagree. We should have got another striker along with Silva with some more experience, possibly a loan player. To have Silva as the only back up in the entire 1st team and u23 squad was a huge risk that may have backfired. Dont get me wrong. I rate Silva but it is unfair to expect him to play every game whilst Raul is out. It was a major error not to invest in another striker in the summer to enable Silva to bed in more easily without pressure of having to replace Raul if he picked up a knock. I dont wish to knock Semedo but on current showings he does not look like an upgrade to Doc. He is clearly a player with some quality but dont think we can say he has upgraded on Doc just yet going by the season so far. We yet again did not address the central midfield area. Vitinha clearly isnt ready yet as he has hardly figured and we needed a ready made central midfield option to go in there and compete with the players we have from the off. I would also argue we again failed to sign a right sided centre half that was ready to go. We are lopsided in the squad with left footed centre backs and not many right sided ones.
I think it is a bit off to tell people to stop with ' hysterical overreacting' to be honest. We are having a fairly civil discussion on this Wolves forum about our concerns with the squad and the concerns some of us had in the summer which have actually started to look reality.
Fair play if you have no issues with our summer transfer business and I have no issue with you whatsoever. You post some good stuff on here. But to say some of us are being hysterical is a bit OTT in my opinion.

We have, off the top of my head, 2 left footed cbs (saiss & Kilman) & 2 right footed cbs (Coady n Boly)in our first team squad. Where are we lopsided?

Again, as I said in previous post which you didn't respond to, say that you were happy with our business at the end of the window? If I've got it wrong, sound. But I'm like 99% sure you were happy and wouldn't even look to buy in the Jan window.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes but unfortunately by the time theyve reached the DeBruyne/ Salah level we'll have sold them on for some other teams benefit....... sure for a profit but not any more silverware.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have, off the top of my head, 2 left footed cbs (saiss & Kilman) & 2 right footed cbs (Coady n Boly)in our first team squad. Where are we lopsided?

Again, as I said in previous post which you didn't respond to, say that you were happy with our business at the end of the window? If I've got it wrong, sound. But I'm like 99% sure you were happy and wouldn't even look to buy in the Jan window.

Both Coady and Boly prefer playing on the left if you are playing with a back 4.

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Fabio is under-rated on here for me. I think we’ll add depth up front in January, but he’s done nothing to warrant being dropped for an incoming unless we go big (which I don’t think we’ll do).

He’a mature head on his shoulders and is unlucky not to have 3 goals in 2 starts.

Point I’m trying to make is it seems Silva is growing into his opportunity. I’d be gutted to see someone like Rondon slow that down.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes but unfortunately by the time theyve reached the DeBruyne/ Salah level we'll have sold them on for some other teams benefit....... sure for a profit but not any more silverware.

Possibly, but then we can reinvest sensibly.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I was never totally convinced with our business in the summer and most certainly think we need at least 3 additions in January. I think you must have me confused with someone else. With regard to the centre backs Boly is more left footed than right unless I am mistaken. That leaves us with Saiss, Kilman, Boly all as left footers with Coady as right footed. Add Marcal who can play centre back but is also left footed. Quite a few of the u23's also left footed centre backs.

D

Deleted member 4008

I love the current squad of player but there is no sentiment in football. Anyone really thinking killman and Saiss are good enough to challenge for top six really must have tinted glasses on . Marcal and semedo I see average players and no better than we had . Silva tough for him but why did nuno sign an 18 year old for backup if going to try and push top six and sell Jota. Traore has been poor along with neves and dendoncker . That's is me being brutally honest rather than all these players are like messi and pele and can do no wrong . Everyone has an opinion but we were meant to be going for top six not nearer bottom six .

Big window coming up but I doubt the transfer philosophy will change so expect a sale or two and a couple of young unproven players . Then nuno saying again he needs more quality once the window closes . I fear for nuno if this window is **** poor as he will be gone . As fosun won't **** about if they want top 6 and we finish 12th .

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio is under-rated on here for me. I think we’ll add depth up front in January, but he’s done nothing to warrant being dropped for an incoming unless we go big (which I don’t think we’ll do).

He’a mature head on his shoulders and is unlucky not to have 3 goals in 2 starts.

Point I’m trying to make is it seems Silva is growing into his opportunity. I’d be gutted to see someone like Rondon slow that down.
Unfortunately there is a lot of folk who made their decision very early on with fabio silva.. Was more than happy to immediately rule him out....and they wanted his progression blocked with another striker signing.... The reason we tempted fabio was cause he could see a path into our first team set up...wouldnt have signed for us without this...

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Re Nuno and transfers:

Has anyone actually heard him say that he has final say?
We have heard him say many times he has a "short" squad, and follow it with some positive comments, but has anyone heard him say it is his preference?
I am not "in the know" but by chance have 100% certainty that he asked for 6 players in summer 2019.
He is no more likely to be happy with his squad than any other Manager at any time.
There is always room for improvement, and at any one time the manager has to work with what he has.
Does anyone really think he said "Hey there is this great up and coming Portuguese kid, we should spend £35m on him and I will happily go without a more experienced replacement for Jota" ?
He has to do the best with what he has. So far he has proven he can do that exceptionally well.
When you have finished seventh in the Premier League two seasons running and are optimistic it is easy to forget the history.
If you watched it you will know, if you are too young read the stats.

yes, it's a bit up and down, but right now i can't think of any other manager i would prefer, on our budget

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Fosun are more bothered about top 6 and above in two years time and they will judge Nuno on that not where we finish this season. He's done enough to earn the time to take backward steps with the aim of more forward steps to follow.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Boly has never looked as good on RHS as he does on LHS

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semedo has been a massive disappointment for me. Big money for a right back and no doubt on wages to match the fee but he looks bang average at best so IMO he will be unsaleable and un-offloadable.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

No, it suggests he was pretty happy with the balance of the squad until Raúl's injury. That's not splitting hairs, that's a completely different thing to not being happy with the squad per se
I’m really sorry, but in your words ‘he was pretty happy with the balance of the squad until Raúl's injury’ imply that after Raul’s injury he is now not happy.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semedo has been a massive disappointment for me. Big money for a right back and no doubt on wages to match the fee but he looks bang average at best so IMO he will be unsaleable and un-offloadable.

Playing wing back surely you have to have a defender to cover his place ,if he's bombing down the wing.It's got to be the hardest position to fill.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m really sorry, but in your words ‘he was pretty happy with the balance of the squad until Raúl's injury’ imply that after Raul’s injury he is now not happy.
And the implications throughout this thread are that he hasn't been happy with the squad full stop

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was never totally convinced with our business in the summer and most certainly think we need at least 3 additions in January. I think you must have me confused with someone else. With regard to the centre backs Boly is more left footed than right unless I am mistaken. That leaves us with Saiss, Kilman, Boly all as left footers with Coady as right footed. Add Marcal who can play centre back but is also left footed. Quite a few of the u23's also left footed centre backs.

Boly is right footed. Just played lcb for us more often than not.

Also doesn't look like I was confusing you with anyone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201224_153322_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201224_153322_com.android.chrome.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20201224_153313_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201224_153313_com.android.chrome.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 48
D

Deleted member 8123

A lot of posters assume Fosun will do this that and the other. Surely they will be more than happy for , at least , another two seasons , away from the bottom end of the table.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Boly is right footed. Just played lcb for us more often than not.

Also doesn't look like I was confusing you with anyone.

I was fairly happy at the time I made those two points but thought Vitinha would be involved more and the likes of Hoever. Both have hardly been seen. If you actually look at a lot of what I was saying in the summer, rather than picking out two comments, I wasnt totally convinced on the whole.
Boly is also a lot better on the left than right hence my concern at lack of comfortable options in the squad on the right side of central defence.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was fairly happy at the time I made those two points but thought Vitinha would be involved more and the likes of Hoever. Both have hardly been seen. If you actually look at a lot of what I was saying in the summer, rather than picking out two comments, I wasnt totally convinced on the whole.

I mean the you definitely were convinced. Infact only 2 months ago you were "quite happy".

Keep backtracking though lad.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Playing wing back surely you have to have a defender to cover his place ,if he's bombing down the wing.It's got to be the hardest position to fill.

Wing backs need to get forward and provide an attacking threat and then get back and defend effectively. The problem with Semedo is that attacking wise he offers pretty much nothing and defensively he is poor. Compare him with Johnny who cost a third of the price. Defensively Jonny is solid, attacking wise Jonny is fairly average (better than Semedo though) but overall Jonny is a great player.
Unless Semedo can step up and quickly he is probably proving to be the overall worst signing of the Fosun era so far. Sure Fosun have signed some worse players than Semedo but on low fees so were mostly not big mistakes but Semedo has drained a lot of funding from the project.

Back
Top Bottom