Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Solbakken or Saunders

GY Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Henry.......Guediora.......Milijas.............................................................Ohara.................................................................................................................................................................Davis...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Jonsson
I remember Norwich away and our midfield two being Dave Edwards and Eggert Jonsson... in the PREMIER LEAGUE

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From where I sat - in the stands.

Solbakken was **** on by players . Saunders a clown.

But the real culprits were the employers .

And the more that management disappears in the rear view mirror the more I feel that opinion is being endorsed.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting question. Both were huge flops here. No doubt that Solbakken is the much better manager. It's a low bar, though, because Saunders is not and never actually has been a football manager. There are many who have only played Football Manager PC game who would could genuinely manage a team better than Saunders.

I used to believe Solbakken was probably a decent manager who was let down by the bad attitude of many of our players at that time. However, he's not done well anywhere other than Copenhagen. He's not all that good, basically. Despite that, he could probably cope in our current set up, without moving us forward. Saunders would take this team to the bottom 3 within weeks.

Having said that, I gather fans there are getting a bit fed up with Solbakken by now. Maybe this Europa League is his big chance? Would be tempting fate, but there is nearly always a shock along the way and wouldn't be too surprised if they beat Manure.

Black Coffee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From where I sat - in the stands.

Solbakken was **** on by players . Saunders a clown.

But the real culprits were the employers .

And the more that management disappears in the rear view mirror the more I feel that opinion is being endorsed.

Solbakken was rightly '**** on' by players having first hand information on this his laid back management style it was never going to work in a top european league it was beyond amateurish.

A brisk Jog, light stretching and a little bit of non contact training was the daily regime. Many of the lads had personal trainers for the afternoon as even they thought his methods were amateurish and not good enough.

It says something when that muppet Saunders could actually train and motivate players better. :screamcat:

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Solbakken got off to a very decent start (19points in his first 10 Championship games) and we were actually playing decent stuff in the first few months. Sako and Doumbia both looked useful additions from the off, Ebanks-Blake was getting his old confidence back and there was optimism (false it transpired) about super-sub Sigurdarson. For whatever reason, the wheels fell off and we didn't win any of our next 9 games. 3 wins in 4 in December proved a false dawn and were followed by rancid home capitulations against Peterborough and Ipswich and then away losses against Palace and Luton in the FA Cup. For those last 4 games, performances got worse and worse and it was clear time was running out.

From afar, it seemed to be a combination of player power, the new and old players not integrating brilliantly on and off the pitch and Solbakken trying to impose his system and philosophy without bringing in the right supporting staff (I remember there were some issues and staff turnover here) and without the older players fully buying in. I think whoever came in after Mick was onto a bit of a hiding to nothing as the core of the squad was long on loyalty to Mick but shortish on quality, especially after Fletcher, Jarvis and Kightly all moved on. To be fair, I don't think it was all down to player power as Solbakken suffered a similar fate at FC Koln the year before.

The narrative that Solbakken was useless seems to have stuck though similar to with Glenn Hoddle. Both are wrong in my opinion. Solbakken has proved he's a good manager at Copenhagen over the years and they've consistently out-performed in Europe. Now Dean Saunders I'll give you...

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
Solbakken got off to a very decent start (19points in his first 10 Championship games) and we were actually playing decent stuff in the first few months. Sako and Doumbia both looked useful additions from the off, Ebanks-Blake was getting his old confidence back and there was optimism (false it transpired) about super-sub Sigurdarson. For whatever reason, the wheels fell off and we didn't win any of our next 9 games. 3 wins in 4 in December proved a false dawn and were followed by rancid home capitulations against Peterborough and Ipswich and then away losses against Palace and Luton in the FA Cup. For those last 4 games, performances got worse and worse and it was clear time was running out.

From afar, it seemed to be a combination of player power, the new and old players not integrating brilliantly on and off the pitch and Solbakken trying to impose his system and philosophy without bringing in the right supporting staff (I remember there were some issues and staff turnover here) and without the older players fully buying in. I think whoever came in after Mick was onto a bit of a hiding to nothing as the core of the squad was long on loyalty to Mick but shortish on quality, especially after Fletcher, Jarvis and Kightly all moved on. To be fair, I don't think it was all down to player power as Solbakken suffered a similar fate at FC Koln the year before.

The narrative that Solbakken was useless seems to have stuck though similar to with Glenn Hoddle. Both are wrong in my opinion. Solbakken has proved he's a good manager at Copenhagen over the years and they've consistently out-performed in Europe. Now Dean Saunders I'll give you...
i heard that some of the old guard coaches were causing issues in the background too.

the mistake made was that the top sided with the old guard and players, rather than the manager they brought in to instigate change.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
i heard that some of the old guard coaches were causing issues in the background too.

the mistake made was that the top sided with the old guard and players, rather than the manager they brought in to instigate change.

Yep. Solbakken brought in Johan Lange and Patrick Weiser and they struggled to get their message across to the old guard.
Lange joined with Solbakken in August and Weiser joined in mid October after Terry Connor left to team back up with Mick at Ipswich. I don't think it was any coincidence that results nose-dived from that point on. Connor was well-liked by all the players and Solbakken had probably been leaving Connor to do a fair bit of the training up until that point.

Interestingly, Johan Lange left Copenhagen last week to become Villa's new Sporting Director so we'll see how that goes.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep. Solbakken brought in Johan Lange and Patrick Weiser and they struggled to get their message across to the old guard.
Lange joined with Solbakken in August and Weiser joined in mid October after Terry Connor left to team back up with Mick at Ipswich. I don't think it was any coincidence that results nose-dived from that point on. Connor was well-liked by all the players and Solbakken had probably been leaving Connor to do a fair bit of the training up until that point.

Interestingly, Johan Lange left Copenhagen last week to become Villa's new Sporting Director so we'll see how that goes.
I look forward to villa signing twelve Bjorn sigurdsson's and playing dinosaur football.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Solbakken was rightly '**** on' by players having first hand information on this his laid back management style it was never going to work in a top european league it was beyond amateurish.

A brisk Jog, light stretching and a little bit of non contact training was the daily regime. Many of the lads had personal trainers for the afternoon as even they thought his methods were amateurish and not good enough.

It says something when that muppet Saunders could actually train and motivate players better. :screamcat:

Can you explain why Solbakken has got his team through to the quarter finals of The Europa League?

This seen as our crowning glory in last 50 years - yet our Championship players couldn't respect his methods and give it a go.

You call him an amateur not capable of work in a top European league - but Roy Hodgson recommended him.

I admit it was a mismatch but which party was not fit for top European football our players or Solbakken ?

But as I said its the employers fault for the mismatch of what turned out to be bog standard championship losers - having power over their new manager.

Last edited:

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think the mistake was not listening to them earlier. Should have fired him after the 1-0 defeat to millwall, when it was clear that the style of football he was implementing was not only woeful, but also completely ineffective.

Both saunders and solbakken lost half the games that season. A wolves side in the championship losing half their games shouldn't ever happen. A testament to Morgan and co's woeful managerial choices.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I actually thought Solbakken could have done a lot better given a different squad. He was too stubborn with his tactics of trying to play out from the back with a squad that wasn’t capable of doing it and a fan base that wasn’t used to it after the McCarthy era. Remember many shouts from people around me of ‘get it up there’ ‘what you doing fannying around at the back’ ... and yet now we have the capable players it’s exactly the tactics we all know and love. By no means comparing Solbakken and Nuno but I think at the time he was dealt a bad hand and did his best with the tools. Saunders was just a muppet.
North Bank you are right , can I add that today we employ Professional Football players , men that I support and are proud of - these men want to learn and get better and respect the boss. In return those players respect us !

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves ...Moutinho
Henry.......Guediora.......Milijas.............................................................Ohara.................................................................................................................................................................Davis...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Jonsson
Added a couple more to the list.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Hello Karl, what you up to these days?

Black Coffee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can you explain why Solbakken has got his team through to the quarter finals of The Europa League?

This seen as our crowning glory in last 50 years - yet our Championship players couldn't respect his methods and give it a go.

You call him an amateur not capable of work in a top European league - but Roy Hodgson recommended him.

I admit it was a mismatch but which party was not fit for top European football our players or Solbakken ?

But as I said its the employers fault for the mismatch of what turned out to be bog standard championship losers - having power over their new manager.

Maybe he has learnt from his mistakes after failing in England & Germany or maybe he is thriving in an environment of being a big fish in a small pond.

It's irrelevant what he is doing now considering the damage he and drongo Dean did to my club that season is what I'm basing this on.

Hello Karl, what you up to these days?

I imagine Karl is alright I haven't spoke to him for a while though... even the new recruits had no respect for The Stalester :tearsofjoy:

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Hated Dean ****ing Saunders' smug face from the moment he drove through the gates and Sky News got a shot of him grinning like a cheshire cat!!!! He was an absolute ****ing oxygen thief and deserved to get sent down for his drink driving escapades!!!!! The fact he is also a bit of a Villa legend makes me detest him even more.

Stale on the other hand wasn't great, but I have no lasting dislike for. I wouldn't cross the road to **** on Saunders if he was burning to death!!!!
Bit harsh mate. o_O

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Because the danish league is bobbins. And he is manager of the biggest team over there.
It isn't exactly a miracle now is it? There are plenty of Celtic managers that I wouldn't touch with a bargepole too.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Solbakken oh oh oh,
Solbakken oh oh oh,
He’s Scandinavian,
He hates the Albion.

Miss his song more than him tbf.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Solbakken has proved he's a good manager at Copenhagen over the years and they've consistently out-performed in Europe.
I disagree. You look at his record in europe and the best you can say is that he's done okay.
You look at his record at us and cologne and it says he's not up to the job anywhere else. Some of you fellas bought the "best young manager in europe" glib, and he hasn't got the record to show for it. He's hardly pep guardiola, yet was treated by some as though he was reinventing football here. In reality he was just trying to get us to slow down and play in two rows of four. And he got us to slow down and play in two rows of four tbf. We had a rigidity in shape when we were going forward that I'd never seen from a footballing side. Sometimes it looked so rigid that the players were stuck on a pole, table football style. Occasionally we played a few nice passes together but when teams pressed us we didn't know wtf to do. No movement. No-one making a run.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hav
Maybe he has learnt from his mistakes after failing in England & Germany or maybe he is thriving in an environment of being a big fish in a small pond.

It's irrelevant what he is doing now considering the damage he and drongo Dean did to my club that season is what I'm basing this on.

I imagine Karl is alright I haven't spoke to him for a while though... even the new recruits had no respect for The Stalester :tearsofjoy:
Have you noticed that some peoples attitude was that it was a privilege for Wolves to have him as a manager, rather than it being a privilege for him to be managing wolves?

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Just remembered Stale punching a hole in the dugout, remember that?!

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just for context in terms of positions, losing to Luton in the cup was a worse result than losing to Chorley!

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's like asking if you want to saw off my left testicle or right testicle with a rusty saw...

Saunders was a complete moron but did get SEB firing on all cylinders (if he didn't get injured at Biffaham City we probably would of stayed up) apart from that he was awful and what would you expect when Morgan hired one of his golfing buddies.

Solbakken was just awful he gave us **** football, under trained players (including dreadfully inadequate training sessions ) and was in charge at the embarrassing defeat to non-league Luton.

My choice is...

Just shoot me already:tearsofjoy:
Before or after your testicle removal?

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Solbakken set the wheels in motion for relegation and Saunders finished off the job.

Solbakken blew what, half? of the Steven Fletcher transfer fee on dross (Sako aside) which Saunders wasn't afforded the opportunity to do.

Both terrible, Solbakken the bigger culprit for me.

Last edited:

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'd take Solbakken over Saunders every single time, personally. But it's also worth noting that's not a ringing endorsement, he made a lot of mistakes and treated some good players like garbage. It's easy to talk about needing a long term project, but a coach needs to earn that long term by making some smart decisions early on and some clear progress. Nuno came in needing a similar scale of culture and tactical change, and it wasn't easy going for players in those first few weeks of training as they adjusted, but he also managed to install confidence and a clear vision and people bought into it. On a man-management level, Solbakken made a bad first impression and never really inspired confidence or loyalty in the players.

But I have to repeat, for ever and ever, I would take Solbakken over Saunders every single time.

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Solbakken will (imo) get probably everyone's vote as Saunders was about as useful as a chocolate teapot. You could see from day one that Saunders needing ****ing with a rag man's trumpet. Inept, delusional, sanctimonious and downright bloody thick.

I actually think that Solbakken could do OK with the players we have now, I think he'd keep us mid table possibly at best.

I actually met Saunders possibly 12 months after his sacking, yes he was drinking (and so was I) and it was very difficult being at the bar by him and not saying anything derogatory to him. He actually said 'Hi' as I walked past him with the drinks and I smile to myself now when I think of the grunt I gave him.
I spent many hours going over what I should have said to him, and if I'd had more beer in me what I would have said.
Wifey dislikes any confrontation so I have to behave when I'm on the lead.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I disagree. You look at his record in europe and the best you can say is that he's done okay.
You look at his record at us and cologne and it says he's not up to the job anywhere else. Some of you fellas bought the "best young manager in europe" glib, and he hasn't got the record to show for it. He's hardly pep guardiola, yet was treated by some as though he was reinventing football here. In reality he was just trying to get us to slow down and play in two rows of four. And he got us to slow down and play in two rows of four tbf. We had a rigidity in shape when we were going forward that I'd never seen from a footballing side. Sometimes it looked so rigid that the players were stuck on a pole, table football style. Occasionally we played a few nice passes together but when teams pressed us we didn't know wtf to do. No movement. No-one making a run.

Solbakken's record in Europe with Copenhagen is pretty solid for a team consistently ranked well outside the top 100 in world football
Copenhagen in Europe
They've hacked through qualification to reach the group stages of the CL or EL in 4 of the last 5 years and they've picked up decent scalps along the way like Atalanta and Ajax. They've made it out of the group stages in 3 of the last 5 years too.

After a promising start at Wolves, he was poor/bordering on dire for various reasons but I disagree with the narrative that he is a useless manager. You don't manage the top team in Denmark for over a decade if that's the case. That said, I also don't think he's a leader by any stretch and that showed at FC Koln as well as Wolves where he wasn't able to get buy in from key players and staff to help turn the club around and deliver on his promises in any shape or form.

Last edited:

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bit harsh mate. o_O

SGW my friend,
After the vile Saunders attempted to take the **** out of the late, great Mr Brian Clough at an after-dinner function I dont think that the comments made by @Aurum Lupus above were anywhere near harsh enough!
The unpleasant and incompetent Deano even managed to make "Clipboard" seem on par with Nuno in comparison.
I was almost embarassed to admit to loving our wonderful club when Saunders was at the helm.
Definitely not our finest moment....
:(:oops::confused:

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How dare you insult our saviour, lord, Nenad!

To be fair he was a mediocre player at best but was he any worse than Henry or Ohara. I would have played him over OHara on the sheer basis he wasnt a ****
Even on 40 cigs a day he was a better option than David Davis or Eggert Jonsson.

Please could you rate the following from best to worst: Henry, Guedioura, Milijas, Ohara, Davis, Jonsson
Dave Jones completely outshone him and nenad was brought in to be an upgrade

Best for wolves or my opinion on how technically gifted each is??

Back
Top Bottom