Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Solbakken or Saunders

Milijas

Reaction score
With the possible upcoming fixture against Copenhagen (very very very very unlikely) let's talk about our old boss. (As i can't cope with anymore pant wetting over nunos contract etc).

If my memory serves me right (which could be wrong) wernt we 18th when stale got the boot? And I vaguely remember the cup exit, showing was abysmal which led to him getting the boot.

Whilst Stales tactics were not suited to the championship and he was asking the likes of Karl Henry to try and play football, do you think he would have got us relegated that year?

Where did it go wrong for Stale? I remember us actually being in a good position early on but one big turning point was when Peszcko went out of the team was he injured? I thought he was briefly but then didnt we not play him after as there was a clause if he played so many games we had to sign him and in typical moxey/morgan ways he was dropped? Clarification please.

Another odd one was the signing of Georg Margreitter came in and never played.

On to Saunders a man I really didnt enjoy being wolves boss. The only good thing he did was get sylvain firing but watching that man in interviews was painful he came with a certain arrogance that he could work wonders but in fact he was ****

Whilst I know everyone will say both were not good enough. Would you have sacked Stale for Saunders.. I probably wouldn't have.

Its along the same lines as sacking Mick and replacing with TC.. Fairplay morgan was hopeless.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stale was dreadful but should have been better, saunders was massively out of his depth, we got what we ordered!

Stale was the worst for me based on expectation and sadly what we got!

*bit like your forum name really haha! An addition that promised so much but was awful!

D

Deleted member 4436

I felt sorry for Stale. He joined a dressing room with massive player power. Player power from Karl Henry... Jesus!

Didn’t Karl admit that the players just didn’t buy into his methods and so did their own thing? I’m sure I didn’t dream that.

He’s clearly a very capable Head Coach.

North Bank

Reaction score
I actually thought Solbakken could have done a lot better given a different squad. He was too stubborn with his tactics of trying to play out from the back with a squad that wasn’t capable of doing it and a fan base that wasn’t used to it after the McCarthy era. Remember many shouts from people around me of ‘get it up there’ ‘what you doing fannying around at the back’ ... and yet now we have the capable players it’s exactly the tactics we all know and love. By no means comparing Solbakken and Nuno but I think at the time he was dealt a bad hand and did his best with the tools. Saunders was just a muppet.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Solbakken’s football was boring, and after a decent start just fell apart. I remember over Christmas we lost 0-3 at home to Peterborough ffs, then two days later Mick’s Ipswich played us off the park and won 0-2 I think? He signed some good players but they weren’t really players we needed.

Saunders was just a *******. A poor manager, tactically inept.

Ive said before but as bad as Saunders was, if Ikeme, Sako and SEB weren’t injured during the run in we might have scraped survival. Then again in hindsight that would have been a bad thing?

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Solbakken never seemed to win over the squad in his tactics.I struggled to understand it towards the end.Remember him coming onto the pitch after beating Weds in a tight game really pumped up but then Palace away a few months later when we lost 3-1 he just stood on touch line like a statue. I believed he thought he would be given time to adjust the squad but i don't think he helped himself.
Its a strange one about Saunders as i can remember him getting alot of praise at certain games vs Blues and Millwall away from supporters and he at least showed abit of emotion on the sidelines and i think he would of kept us up if SEB didnt break his leg vs Blues away.
But he will always be tainted with our relegation.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Solbakken’s football was boring, and after a decent start just fell apart. I remember over Christmas we lost 0-3 at home to Peterborough ffs, then two days later Mick’s Ipswich played us off the park and won 0-2 I think? He signed some good players but they weren’t really players we needed.

Saunders was just a *******. A poor manager, tactically inept.

Ive said before but as bad as Saunders was, if Ikeme, Sako and SEB weren’t injured during the run in we might have scraped survival. Then again in hindsight that would have been a bad thing?
Solbakken ended up with a strange mixture of Mick's old, change-resistant, squad minus most of the quality (sold after the season started) and what appeared to be a rather random mix of foreign players (who chose them?) brought in late (Jizz at his finest) defeating any sensible pre-season planning.
Clownders dropped most of the foreign players, basically doing exactly what Shamberk did a few years later, i.e. relying on "English graft and putting a shift in". Any resemblance to football was purely coincidental.
I wonder what Nuno, had he come then, would have done with that shower of ****e? Probably looked to offload most of them as quickly as possible!

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Decent manager. Wrong squad. Wrong owner and CEO.

Given time and a decent budget he would probably have been ok but he was starting with such a low base compared with how he wanted to play. Morgan wanted to overhaul the playing style but wasn't prepared to invest enough to make it happen.

Saunders was a complete clot.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Solbakken wanted to completely change how the club played but didn't have the p;layers at the time, his big mistake was believing he'd be given the time to do that and that it wouldn't matter if results deteriorated during that time. He got the balance wrong between getting the best out of the squad he had, and trying to change them to play the way he wanted. Saunders maybe went back to playing how the players wanted, but still couldn't improved results. for me Saunders was probably worse

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Solbakken 26 games - w9, d4, l13 - points 31
Saunders 20 games - w5, d5, l10 - points 20.

Been said earlier, there is a manager in Solbakken - wrong place, wrong time. Saunders - nope.

Dean Saunders
TEAMFROMTOGAMESWONDRAWNLOST
Chesterfield13 May, 201504 Dec, 2015238213
Crawley27 Dec, 201412 May, 2015248412
Wolves07 Jan, 201307 May, 2013205510
Doncaster23 Sep, 201107 Jan, 201373261829
Wrexham02 Oct, 200822 Sep, 2011155644447
Only games with a date in the database counted here

Stale Solbakken
TEAMFROMTOGAMESWONDRAWNLOST
FC Copenhagen21 Aug, 2013Present3281847272
Wolves01 Jul, 201206 Jan, 20133010515
Cologne01 Jul, 201112 Apr, 2012318518
FC Copenhagen01 Jan, 200614 May, 20112391454846
Only games with a date in the database counted here

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Solbakken was ****ing useless. Should have gone after we got outplayed by millwall. Also, Karl Henry is exactly his kind of central midfielder. And our set up at the time was depressingly negative. Would I have sacked him for Dean Saunders? No, but we were going down make no mistake about it. We were completely uncompetitive by christmas time and he increasingly came across as a desperate man.

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
In general: no contest.
One is a successful manager, who has a decent record in Europe with a team from an unfashionable league.
The other is a clown who would struggle in a non-league football management.

In terms of their times at Wolves it is closer though, still I preferred Solbakken and thought he wasn't given a fair chance.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would Dean Saunders be able to win the Danish league with FC Copenhagen?
I'm gonna say yes.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would Dean Saunders be able to win the Danish league with FC Copenhagen?
I'm gonna say yes.
BS! Your irrational hatred of Solbakken has completely clouded your judgement. Karl Henry his type of midfielder indeed. Where is there any evidence that the contract extension was something which Stale as opposed to the club wanted (and pse don't quote Moxey-era Goebbels-esque club press releases)?

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The main thing solbakken done wrong was to let it be known that we needed to get rid of most of the squad and that he wanted to change how we played at the time, and those unwilling or unable to change would be shown the door. The cosy club made sure he was the one to go first.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The main thing solbakken done wrong was to let it be known that we needed to get rid of most of the squad and that he wanted to change how we played at the time, and those unwilling or unable to change would be shown the door. The cosy club made sure he was the one to go first.
We had a low quality (with the "stars" sold) squad put together cheaply by Mick based on effort not skill (which the 2Ms still naively seemed to believe was PL quality). Those players knew damn well how likely they were to get into a proper footballing team.... On top of that we had a few foreign players who hadn't, because of the timing of their purchases, been properly integrated....

Last edited:

WetheralWolf

Reaction score
Saunders irritates me the most out of all past managers. His tactic ( if it was indeed thought through) of hoofing it down the line to get an attacking throw in almost finished me off.

No contest at all. Would have liked to have seen what Solbakken could have done with more skillful players.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saunders irritates me the most out of all past managers. His tactic ( if it was indeed thought through) of hoofing it down the line to get an attacking throw in almost finished me off.

No contest at all. Would have liked to have seen what Solbakken could have done with more skillful players.
Re your first para. The Welsh know all about kicking for touch....

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
You could see at the start what Solbakken was trying to achieve. Get us to be patient, press at certain times. Given time and maybe a few more transfer windows I think he could of improved us and been successful.

At the time though, you could see as the season went on the old guard were not buying into his methods for multiple reasons and it was him or them.

Saunders was a strange appointment. When he was appointed until he was sacked I hated every minute. God forbid if we survived and had to endure anymore of him.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Solbakken is a football coach, Saunders is a baffoon its like comparing apples and oranges
Is he really a football coach?
Outside of denmark which is mostly league one standard his record says otherwise.

Black Coffee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's like asking if you want to saw off my left testicle or right testicle with a rusty saw...

Saunders was a complete moron but did get SEB firing on all cylinders (if he didn't get injured at Biffaham City we probably would of stayed up) apart from that he was awful and what would you expect when Morgan hired one of his golfing buddies.

Solbakken was just awful he gave us **** football, under trained players (including dreadfully inadequate training sessions ) and was in charge at the embarrassing defeat to non-league Luton.

My choice is...

Just shoot me already:tearsofjoy:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You could see at the start what Solbakken was trying to achieve. Get us to be patient, press at certain times. Given time and maybe a few more transfer windows I think he could of improved us and been successful.

At the time though, you could see as the season went on the old guard were not buying into his methods for multiple reasons and it was him or them.

Saunders was a strange appointment. When he was appointed until he was sacked I hated every minute. God forbid if we survived and honad to endure anymore of him.
The one benefit of Clownders was that it finally convinced the 2Ms that Mick's detritus was not PL quality (not even Chump quality) and had to go....

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Solbakken was the emperors new clothes, we thought we were getting Pep with his interviews and snazzy jumper/shirt combo but ultimately he was all style and no substance. For all the talk of "he didnt have his players, he didnt have time" anyone who watched games in his last month will remember we were less than dreadful.

Saunders was like the antidote to the above, old school Mike Bassett football dinosaur, centre backs at full back and lamping the ball up top to a big lump in Jake Cassidy (who was so far away from that level it was unreal).

Basically we needed someone between the two.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Electrocution or hanging
Toothache or back pain
Westlife or boyzone
Sambuca or aftershock
West Brom or Villa
Hitler or Stalin
Syphillis or gonorrhea....

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't happy with either but at least Solbakken didn't come out with BS about "eye of the tiger" and didn't look like he'd never make a manager while he had a hole in his ass.....

luiandlui

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Solbakken was awful and I'm 90% sure we would have been relegated had he stayed so I think we had to act. Having said that, he is 10x the manager Dean Saunders will ever be.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You get the picture.
solbakken was... in fact my views have been shared often enough so I’ll refrain.
I still think, rather like Hoddle, that in a different time/circumstances Solbakken might have been successful. Perhaps, by the time we got Nuno, the fans were prepared to be a little more patient and he had full backing from the board.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still think, rather like Hoddle, that in a different time/circumstances Solbakken might have been successful. Perhaps, by the time we got Nuno, the fans were prepared to be a little more patient and he had full backing from the board.
I’ll try and be fair. He was the wrong man at the wrong time.
However I still maintain some of the stuff that came out the club that I was privy to made my blood boil.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Solbakken was awful and I'm 90% sure we would have been relegated had he stayed so I think we had to act. Having said that, he is 10x the manager Dean Saunders will ever be.
What is unforgivable is promising the guy time to rebuild then sacking him within half a season. Then compounding that by appointing a replacement in the January transfer window but giving him no resources (although truthfully with the exception of Dicko the loan signings - Gorkss for God sake - make me think that wasn't all bad). Even so, God forbid that a struggling team might need strengthening, huh, Jizz...

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ll try and be fair. He was the wrong man at the wrong time.
However I still maintain some of the stuff that came out the club that I was privy to made my blood boil.
I'm not sure what you heard but, from the way that you put that, it doesn't sound great.

Back
Top Bottom