Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bbc coverage

Gold Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Terrible coverage for the reasons already stated above, makes me realise actually how decent Sky and BT (and Amazon Prime too) are at putting together the match on screen. I have not seen such poor camera work or commentary in a game for a while. May not always enjoy the punditry on Sky/BT with a couple of the individuals on there but nowhere near as bad as that was this evening.

Haggstone

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It was poor but to be honest, BT and Sky have also developed a similar annoying habit of showing replays and/or close ups of players/managers at inappropriate times. Nowhere near as frequently as in today’s game but it’s something that has bugged me for a while. I tend to notice it more when Wolves are playing as I’m more invested in the action.

I don’t know if modern producers are maybe trying to be a little too clever at times. Just show us what is going on on the pitch. Only show replays/close ups when the ball is dead. It seems pretty simple to me.

Last edited:

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It took me less than 5 seconds to type 'why does patricio wear 11' into Google and be provided with this:

Patrício opted to wear the No.11 shirt for Wolves as opposed to the habitual No.1, in honour of Carl Ikeme, who had just retired following treatment for acute leukaemia. He made his league debut on 11 August 2018, in a 2–2 home draw against Everton.

absolutely inexcusable shoddy preparation

Lupo Italiano

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not knowing or researching why Rui wears 11

Dublin raving about our set pieces when Joao failed to beat the first man twice with corner kicks

Describing Rui as a 'natural footballer' seemed an odd thing to say about a keeper!

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dreadful - from the poor build up, to commentators being awful, to the cameraman missing half the match

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“They do like to use their subs, Wolves”

After in the build up they literally showed a graphic saying how few subs we’ve used.

The player cam following Tarkowski around for a full minute while Burnley were attacking.

Shambles.

Yamalroite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After the game when they went back to the studio they seemed very subdued.
Almost they realise what's going on.
A dodgy penalty given and final whistle frantically blown when keeper took a dodgy touch that god forbid we got a winner and rocked the top 4. Man Utd not to make champions league would rock the money men.

Henry Palfrey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dublin berating Traore for his ‘naughty’ challenge on Pieters when the former had been kicked round the pitch by the latter since he came on. Clearly a tactic of Burnley.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How about Dions comment re the water!

’I don’t want it on me coz I’m freezing’ or words to that effect!

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was poor but to be honest, BT and Sky have also developed a similar annoying habit of showing replays and/or close ups of players/managers at inappropriate times. Nowhere near as frequently as in today’s game but it’s something that has bugged me for a while. I tend to notice it more when Wolves are playing as I’m more invested in the action.

I don’t know if modern producers are maybe trying to be a little too clever at times. Just show us what is going on on the pitch. Only show replays/close ups when the ball is dead. It seems pretty simple to me.
I know when BT started their Premier League coverage a few seasons ago the producers were under strict instructions not to miss any significant live action by showing replays. An acquaintance in the business told me that, can't say I've noticed it much with BT, but the difference in quality last night was massive.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rarely watch the channel - like nearly all of them they are a willing mouthpiece for liars. Turn off the television and you'll be a lot happier as your head clears from the constant bombardment of nonsense.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In addition to all the rubbish of their coverage quoted already, can we also ask why the hell they decided to show one half on one channel and the other on another channel? It’s not the ****ing Olympics where you’re switching between loads of different events, it’s a bloody football game! Put it on BBC2 and leave there if you don’t want to disturb the news.

It was a car crash by amateurs from start to finish.

Air Wolf 90

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The BBC are desperately trying to save money at the moment. This is leading to cutting corners and the amateurish production values we saw yesterday. They clearly didn't get the A-Team out to cover 'only' Burnley vs Wolves and it showed.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The BBC are desperately trying to save money at the moment. This is leading to cutting corners and the amateurish production values we saw yesterday. They clearly didn't get the A-Team out to cover 'only' Burnley vs Wolves and it showed.
Not the "A-team"... More like the ZZ-team. Dion came over as a less skilled, less knowledgeable Garth Crooks.

Haggstone

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I know when BT started their Premier League coverage a few seasons ago the producers were under strict instructions not to miss any significant live action by showing replays. An acquaintance in the business told me that, can't say I've noticed it much with BT, but the difference in quality last night was massive.

That’s interesting. Thanks.

In fairness, with the other channels it’s usually throw ins or goal kicks that get missed so more often than not, we are not usually talking significant action here. Never the less I want to watch the game in its entirety, I’m not particularly interested in the expressions on a managers face or watching a third replay of a tame shot go wide while there is live action happening on the field.

It’s the worst thing about watching football on TV IMO, rubbish commentators don’t tend to bother me so much. Each to their own I suppose.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Early on they showed a flag whilst the game was going on and seemed obsessed with close up shots so you had no idea what was really happening. It went downhill from then with a number of shots of the Pennines and Sean Dyche. Utterly pathetic.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
The best summarisers interject at specific/telling moments.The modern trend is that they feel they have to talk incessantly and they think they are a comedy duo.
Motson was always accused of being full of hyperbole but he could never be accused of not knowing his stuff ala the Number 11 shirt comment
Barry Davies and Brian Moore at their best were very good on TV as were Peter Jones and Bryon Butler on the radio .They all had distinctive voices ,knew their stuff knew when to be quiet and didn’t treat us like idiots
Not football but Richie Benaud was the greatest commentator of all time for the above reasons .

Last edited:

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did I hear Dublin say something to the effect of Patricio is like having an extra man on the pitch the way he plays the ball out from the back? I may have misheard him, or perhaps he was trying to reconcile the fact he is number eleven...

Air Wolf 90

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The best summarisers interject at specific/telling moments.The modern trend is that they feel they have to talk incessantly and they think they are a comedy duo.
Motson was always accused of being full of hyperbole but he could never be excused of not knowing his stuff ala the Number 11 shirt comment
Barry Davies and Brian Moore at their best were very good on TV as were Peter Jones and Bryon Butler on the radio .They all had distinctive voices ,knew their stuff knew when to be quiet and didn’t treat us like idiots
Not football but Richie Benaud was the greatest commentator of all time for the above reasons .

Agree Benaud was fantastic. Whole overs could go by and if there was nothing to say he just kept quiet. I've noticed the same with the old Wimbledon highlights this year; Dan Maskell never gave a running commentary on every point but spoke with authority when he had to. David Coleman (who talked a lot) knew his stuff and of course was a big friend to the Wolves in our darkest hour.

Maybe the upshot of all of this turning fake crowd noise on and off is that we will have the opportunity to watch without commentators in the future. That would be a real improvement.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Agree Benaud was fantastic. Whole overs could go by and if there was nothing to say he just kept quiet. I've noticed the same with the old Wimbledon highlights this year; Dan Maskell never gave a running commentary on every point but spoke with authority when he had to. David Coleman (who talked a lot) knew his stuff and of course was a big friend to the Wolves in our darkest hour.

Maybe the upshot of all of this turning fake crowd noise on and off is that we will have the opportunity to watch without commentators in the future. That would be a real improvement.
You can throw in Bill McClaren ,Nigel Starmer-Smith,David Vine and Harry Carpenter too.
In cricket we have lost greats like Christopher Martin-Jenkins,Brian Johnston and Henry Blofeld on the radio all of whom added to the feel of the game .Boycott had his faults but he added something to your listening experience.Jonathan Agnew is excellent on the radio as are Nasser, Atherton and Bumble on Sky for different reasons .The modern trend is to have reporter types covering sport on the BBC.They all have similar voices and when Simon Mann is covering cricket or Alastair Bruce-Ball covering the football they all sound the same .

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn't mind Mowbray and Dublin, quite jovial rather than analytical, but meh, it's Burnley vs Wolves. There's not many worse games on paper for a neutral, so fine with them trying to make light of it.

However, the amount of times we missed actual live footage due to constant replays or the camera focusing on one player, when the ball had gone, was infuriating.

Also the commentators mocking Patricio for wearing the number 11 shirt, clearly not understanding why he's not wearing the number one, was shambolic. I know we're Wolves fans so we know the Club inside out but the reasoning behind it is pretty common knowledge isn't it?

Lineker also asked the same questions of Keane and Walters for the second part of half time, when the channel switched from BBC2 to BBC1, as if it wasn't the exact same people tuning in to hear a repeat of what's already been discussed five mins ago?

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was really impressed with the build up, as for a change it wasn’t the usual sky Liverpool/Yanited **** fest, about Wolves and Burnley, story so far, all good.
Then I realised that Walters and Keane had all the charm and insight between them of my latest dump.
Then dramatically downhill. Absolutely woeful camera work.

Dublin called Neves a natural footballer, fair enough. The same for Patrício? Then implied we use him regularly as a possession outlet? Err, wut?
Managed to not notice we have a sweeper that does that?
Jota/Podence mix ups really grated. 6 inches height difference, a curly mop versus a gingerish buzz cut really shouldn’t be that difficult.

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was ****e I hope we never grace that channel again.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another of Dublins gems was him saying Traore should stick out wide as he was ineffective coming through the middle.
Literally a 90 second highlights clip of Traore since the restart would show how wrong this comment is.

The White Mouse

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
dont ever remember having to switch channels at half time before either....

Also, whats going on with Robbie KEane's teeth? looks like hes started on the smack...

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What got me about the commentary was just how many times they confused Podence and Jota. A few times Podence made good runs and even while watching the slow motion replays they were talking about Jota.

Not sure why they kept saying how good Patricio is with his feet, Wolves probably play some of the least football out from the keeper due to Coady playing so deep and doing that role instead, really didn't get it. Normally a fan of the BBC coverage too.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another of Dublins gems was him saying Traore should stick out wide as he was ineffective coming through the middle.
Literally a 90 second highlights clip of Traore since the restart would show how wrong this comment is.

I know . That’s the last thing you want him to do

I also liked it when he gave neves shooting advice

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mowbrays insistence on calling Raul 'He-main-ez' got me bubbling. Even Doctor Dublin managed to get it right.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not the "A-team"... More like the ZZ-team. Dion came over as a less skilled, less knowledgeable Garth Crooks.

As much as I disliked his commentary thats a bit strong, Garth wouldnt have even known who was playing!!!!!

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mowbrays insistence on calling Raul 'He-main-ez' got me bubbling. Even Doctor Dublin managed to get it right.
Pronouncing Vinagre like a medicine for erectile dysfunction was the highlight for me

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The comms for all matches are a joke and the sooner we can turn them off and just listen to the fans the better imo.

I think they nearly always show a shot of the Pennines when at live Burnley (not very often) but even MotD quite often squeeze it in.

The producer needs to go back to producer school and pass the exams this time.

I'm surprised the BBC didn't even attempt an apology. Again I've heard this done on MotD in the past when something has gone tits up.

Something very strange went on last night .

D

Deleted member 4436

It took me less than 5 seconds to type 'why does patricio wear 11' into Google and be provided with this:

Patrício opted to wear the No.11 shirt for Wolves as opposed to the habitual No.1, in honour of Carl Ikeme, who had just retired following treatment for acute leukaemia. He made his league debut on 11 August 2018, in a 2–2 home draw against Everton.

absolutely inexcusable shoddy preparation

“Sticks in a lot of people’s throats”

Absolutely disgraceful.

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Getting flashbacks now.

"Oh let's have a look at Dyche's face, oh we can't as a match is happening.

OK now we can go back to Dyches face. HAHA lol look he smiled wryly. Haha. OK back to the match oh someone scored".

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They must have mentioned at least 10 times how cold it was.

a) pretty sure we all only need telling once
b) Its in the north, have they never been before? Go to blackpool in August, still need to wear a parka
c) Surely they had better things to discuss

Back
Top Bottom