Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Watford Verdict

• Thread starter Deleted member 4184
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8455jwf

A common tactic this season for some reason. Great to get the 3 points but it could all be put back into terrible perspective against Man City if we try the same thing, sitting so deep. Although I don't think they will put 8 past us!
It was our tactic all of last year as well.

M

Mr Wolf

Anyone who watched the game knows we were the only team in it. They had a few late long range shots and we let teams have the ball. Yet more clueless posting.
Not really, that own goal came completely against the run of play. The first 15 mins of the second half we were under the cosh then thankfully got a lucky breakaway goal.

I think the fact Jonny, Saiss then probably Boly were our man of the matches show the balance of the game really.

Felt we could have controlled the ball much better especially 2nd half & created more, for example a slipped in ball behind Hollebas for Traore to run onto was on about 10 times but he always came deep.

Still a good 3 points & clean sheet to boot with hopefully the confidence growing.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was our tactic all of last year as well.

As I understand it, last season we were not sitting so deep, were a lot more aggressive pressing teams, had better ball retention and also looked far better going forward. Also, the team as a collective seemed to have a lot more confidence helped, no doubt, by being an unknown quantity. The lack of these elements would explain why we started our PL season so poorly.

Not sure we will be continually successful with such tactics as it does ingrain a defensive mentality, which is exacerbated when the team looks so poor up front due in no small part to a midfield sitting so far back. Even though yesterday did look a battle between the two worst teams in the PL to date, we have our first win and are no longer in the bottom three!

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Not really, that own goal came completely against the run of play. The first 15 mins of the second half we were under the cosh then thankfully got a lucky breakaway goal.

I think the fact Jonny, Saiss then probably Boly were our man of the matches show the balance of the game really.

Felt we could have controlled the ball much better especially 2nd half & created more, for example a slipped in ball behind Hollebas for Traore to run onto was on about 10 times but he always came deep.

Still a good 3 points & clean sheet to boot with hopefully the confidence growing.
They had one header during that period, we had a counter attack shot from Neto prior to it. Watford toothless, reading their fans saying the possession was just their back 4 playing it around and that is 100% correct.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

As I understand it, last season we were not sitting so deep, were a lot more aggressive pressing teams, had better ball retention and also looked far better going forward. Additionally, the team as a collective seemed to have lost form and confidence. Which would explain why we have started our PL season so poorly.

Not sure we will be continually successful with such tactics as it does ingrain a defensive mentality, which is exacerbated when the team looks so poor up front due in no small part to a midfield sitting so far back. Even though yesterday did look a battle between the two worst teams in the PL to date, we have our first win and are no longer in the bottom three!
We've never consistently pressed the ball high, we press the first ball into the final 3rd as our CMs sit deep and we want to counter attack. Don't think we have the current squad to press, not enough athleticism in the midfield.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've never consistently pressed the ball high, we press the first ball into the final 3rd as our CMs sit deep and we want to counter attack. Don't think we have the current squad to press, not enough athleticism in the midfield.

I'd agree with that but we were more positive in pressing higher up the pitch than we are doing now. This season, we seem happy to invite pressure and surrender possession. And the squad is the same as last season pretty much.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I'd agree with that but we were more positive in pressing higher up the pitch than we are doing now. This season, we seem happy to invite pressure and surrender possession. And the squad is the same as last season pretty much.
Yeah we probably have dropped off 5% more than last year as our form dipped. I maintain the biggest problem we've had this year is turning the ball over though. Even yesterday we gave ball away a lot unforced.

M

Mr Wolf

They had one header during that period, we had a counter attack shot from Neto prior to it. Watford toothless, reading their fans saying the possession was just their back 4 playing it around and that is 100% correct.
Well exactly, it was more about them lacking Deeney than us controlling the game denying them. I think we did just about enough & never felt in real danger but there was plenty of room for improvement.

Pessimistic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Delighted with 3 points and a clean sheet. However, and this might be a touch of nominative determinism, but I thought it was a poor watch and our victory owes more to how awful Watford were than how good we were.

Let's be clear, it is to our credit that we defended robustly and created chances. The win is very positive psychologically, but this wasn't a particularly impressive performance.

Rui had very little to do but did well when called upon.

Saiss played well. Some well timed challenges, strong in the air and a good attitude. Some agricultural passing, but that's what we expect.

Coady was much improved and shepherded Welbeck quite well, especially as the Watford striker has him beaten for pace, reaction and technique. Passed the ball out from the back with more composure and even managed a few 40 yard rakes of old.

Boly was immense and this was an excellent performance of his. Some of his passes when he brought the ball out were delicious, and I want to see more of that.

Doc was steady if unspectacular. He didn't bomb forward in the way he used to, although that might be because we were playing with width in the forward positions, meaning advanced wingbacks aren't that necessary. A goal and possibly an assist (or would the OG credit MGW with the assist?)

Jonny, much like Doc was defensively steady. Had more to his game in terms of ball retention and technique, and got into some formidable positions, but lacked the ability to turn those positions into good chances.

Donck played with a good level of industry and broke down play well. His passing was a little askew and I hope there's more to come from him.

Moutinho was, as ever, a class act. Great passing of the ball, calm movement and some very swish turns. I like him in the deeper role more than Neves.

Neto looked good, especially when he consider he's the same age as MGW and has probably played less senior football. Reasonable pace, positive attitude and clearly attuned to passing movements.

Traore is such an exciting player that he can frustrate when he doesn't deliver. In the first half in particular, he didn't do much, largely because he didn't get the ball in useful positions. A lot of it was back to goal, holding it deep. I'm not sure he was totally suited to this type of game.

Jimenez worked his socks off as usual and played some outstanding passes, but unfortunately didn't look like threatening in the box. I have no anxieties about this - I am sure he will find his goalscoring boots soon. He's too good not to.

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I felt sorry for Raul when everybody started singing that stupid Cutrone song as he left the pitch, he looked crest-fallen; at least they righted the wrong by singing his song next, but it should have been the other way round and gave the wrong message in my opinion.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought overall we were poor. We lack confidence, too many players off form and not performing as they did last season. Why do we give the worst team in the league 60% possession at Molineux? I thought they would equalise before we got our 2nd goal which thankfully killed the game. Not sure what Nuno's thinking is but we need to step up and play a more controlling game like we did most of last season. I said before the game I'd take a scrappy 1-0, I'm delighted with a scrappy 2-0. We needed that win with City next week and the break coming up.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looked so much better for most of the game
Yes we dropped too deep after the first goal,and it was a beautifully worked goal too
Got lucky with the own goal, but deserved to be at least 2 up by then anyway
Just about everyone raised their game,still not 100% but much better
Back 3 look better,but also getting much better cover from Jonny and Doc
Doc is getting there, and we so need him back at his best,when he is we always play well
Neto looks the real deal,still learning ,but great to have him as cover for Jota
Probably Traore's best game for us,starting to prove the doubters,myself included,wrong
Better from Donk but still not back to his best
Be interesting to see the team for the EL,oh and Man City next lol,well we have to play them sometime i guess

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My morning after verdict! :)

Relieved to get that first league win but I think actually over the 90 minutes it was a very deserved win. Reminded me a lot of a few of our wins last year, where the other team had more shots, possession etc but actually it was a comfortable win. I never really felt like Watford were going to hurt us, they had little spells of pressure but I can only think of one tricky save for Rui.

I thought defensively that was back to where we were last year, very strong, very compact. All the back three played well, and I thought Jonny was brilliant defensively.

Impressed by Neto shame he went off injured, he’s definitely got something about him! Him and Traore caused problems whenever they got the ball our problem was probably not getting the mall out wide quick enough or early enough. Still a bit worried about Raul think he’s looked off the pace for a while, wouldn’t mind seeing Cutrone start the next couple.

I ain’t saying all our problems are fixed but the last two performances have been a big step in the right direction. Things look a bit better, more positive anyway. Still things to work on and improve but I think that first win is huge. Bring on Besiktas!

Ratings:
:hearteyes:- Boly, Saiss, Jonny, Moutinho
:blush:- Patricio, Doherty, Coady, Neto, Traore
:expressionless:- Dendoncker, Jimenez, Gibbs-White, Neves, Cutrone
:worried:-
:weary:-
The only thing I would comment on is I think a number of fans are not fully taking into account what the threat of Doc and Traore has on the opposition that allows some of our other players to gain advantage. The oppos know they can be hit and quickly by this duo and have to cater for this limiting their resources against dominating in other areas.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While I like the balance of right footed Boly on the right and left footed Saiss on the left, and Coady between, there is a major pace problem on the left of those three, as even I could outpace Coady and Saiss!!!

Any coach worth his salt would target that area and Pep won’t have missed it for sure!
So could I if her husband came in unexpectedly.:eek:

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think those criticising us not being as positive/free-flowing as we can be are forgetting how importance confidence is. We're slowly getting it back after a tough start. Expansive play comes with confidence.

R

reanswolf

I thought overall we were poor. We lack confidence, too many players off form and not performing as they did last season. Why do we give the worst team in the league 60% possession at Molineux? I thought they would equalise before we got our 2nd goal which thankfully killed the game. Not sure what Nuno's thinking is but we need to step up and play a more controlling game like we did most of last season. I said before the game I'd take a scrappy 1-0, I'm delighted with a scrappy 2-0. We needed that win with City next week and the break coming up.
I honestly don't view them as the worse team in the League. Yes they are off form, but its the same team by and large as last season.

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Last season this opposition would have caused us an upset, so we at least we dismissed that ghost.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only thing I would comment on is I think a number of fans are not fully taking into account what the threat of Doc and Traore has on the opposition that allows some of our other players to gain advantage. The oppos know they can be hit and quickly by this duo and have to cater for this limiting their resources against dominating in other areas.

Just to add, I thought the interplay between Doc and Traore yesterday was the best we've seen from them. Easily. Because last season, when Traore was in that forward role in the 3-4-3, there was virtually zero between them. It shows how much Adama has improved as a footballer, that he is now making much better decisions on when to run and when to pass e.g. his excellent pass that led to our second. No way would he have done that last season. His positioning has improved a bit, too, although when are defending corners, I would rather him be the upfield player as the outlet, rather than back in our own area. Seems a no brainer to me, but then I'm not the manager. :)

There's still room for improvement, however I much prefer him as a wide forward with Doc behind than as a wing back. Even though he has also improved a lot in that position, I see Traore as basically an emergency wing back rather than as his future being there.

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think those criticising us not being as positive/free-flowing as we can be are forgetting how importance confidence is. We're slowly getting it back after a tough start. Expansive play comes with confidence.

Absolutely. This is why it is an extremely important moment of the season or even more than a season for this club. We must get behind the team now and show our support.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Sako Scores are as follows

Patricio - 7 - Dodnt have a lot to do really but made a very good save from I think Welbeck that he usually gets beat from so well done him

Boly - 6 - Played a nice through ball but still looks weirdly shaky for him

Coady - 7 - Back to being his usual regular self, never spectacular but clean and tidy

Saiss - 7 - Not a lot came down his side and seemed to cope so much better this week

Doherty - 8 - We’ve really missed him

Moutinho - 6 - Would’ve been higher but he seems to have a blind spot to his right that means he doesn’t seem to pass to Traore it’s really weird

Dendoncker - 6 - Ran around a bit I guess can’t really remember him doing much with the ball

Jonny - 7 - Was as much out of form as any of them but looking much better

Traore - 9 - Our most effective and threatening player this season

Jimenez - 6 - Can we please give him a rest he looks knackered

Neto - 6 - Did ok but decision making has a lot to improve

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Patricio - 7 - Dodnt have a lot to do really but made a very good save from I think Welbeck that he usually gets beat from so well done him

Coady - 7 - Back to being his usual regular self, never spectacular but clean and tidy

Saiss - 7 - Not a lot came down his side and seemed to cope so much better this week

Moutinho - 6 - Would’ve been higher but he seems to have a blind spot to his right that means he doesn’t seem to pass to Traore it’s really weird

Dendoncker - 6 - Ran around a bit I guess can’t really remember him doing much with the ball

Sako I normally like your posts, but you think Donk and Boly were the same? I’m actually astounded anyone saw it that way

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I honestly don't view them as the worse team in the League. Yes they are off form, but its the same team by and large as last season.

At the moment they are a shadow of last season's team. Watford may not be the worst team in the league - I've just watched the first half of Newcastle at Leicester and they are woeful - but they aren't far off.

Rufio

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
but we need to step up and play a more controlling game like we did most of last season

Don’t know what you were watching last season, but almost all of our matches saw us with less possession than the opposition. Nunos game is all about controlling the game without the ball and destroying teams on the counter when they are unbalanced.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hi Reans, made that comment simply because they were the bottom team. Actually I think any home team v any opposition should at least aim for 50% possession tbh?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t know what you were watching last season, but almost all of our matches saw us with less possession than the opposition. Nunos game is all about controlling the game without the ball and destroying teams on the counter when they are unbalanced.
There's less possession and there's less possession! Yesterday they had 61% possession which in my view is a joke. It's always going to be a struggle if you let the opposition have that much of the ball. We can't allow that again against virtually any other side in this league. A better side yesterday would have scored at least 1, possibly 2 goals.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hi Reans, made that comment simply because they were the bottom team. Actually I think any home team v any opposition should at least aim for 50% possession tbh?

Why? Possession doesn't mean anything, whoever you're against.

The only issue we did have is after the goal we did our usual thing of going too deep but that wasn't about possession. Almost all of Watford's possession was completely pointless. When we've failed to break lower teams down, it's usually been despite dominating possession for long periods.

We haven't played possession football at any time under Nuno, and barely any game have we both dominated possession and won (even in the Chump we had a set way of playing but our quality helped us keep the ball more).

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First live game for a long while for me. A few observations -
Boly "did bestride the narrow pitch like a Colossus" to mis-quote Shakespeare.
Moutinho is the nearest thing to a perpetual motion machine that I have seen. What an engine, but also what a footballing brain.
Neto is only a young lad and has a lot to learn about his own game and his role in the side, but he looks to have something there. Only time will tell if he kicks on from a useful start.
How do you solve a problem like Adama, how do you hold a moonbeam in your hand? I'm confident that the coaches are working really hard to bring out the best in him.
Young Patrick hustles and bustles, but just like Neto has a lot to learn about how we play and how he fits into that. So hopefully more to come.
Saiss had a very good game, but I wonder how his game might have been affected if he had picked up a yellow for that"enthusiastic" tackle early on.

R

reanswolf

I do agree NNW, I think our counter-attacking style looks terrible when we are not doing well.
I agree we ought to move more through midfield, but our CMs just do not have the required level of mobility IMO.
Watford outplayed us generally but we defended superbly & they created very little.
Still, I think they will bounce back and later in the season it will be viewed as a far better result than beating a bottom team.
But I might be wrong.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Did you watch the same game as me? Moutinho ran the game? Traore 9?!

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did you watch the same game as me? Moutinho ran the game? Traore 9?!

Moutinho shouldn’t get 6 and Adama shouldn’t get 9 but he’s right about him not passing to Traore. It happend yesterday where Adama was in a great position and the north bank were screaming for him to pass but he turned and passed to his left. It did seem a bit weird.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho shouldn’t get 6 and Adama shouldn’t get 9 but he’s right about him not passing to Traore. It happend yesterday where Adama was in a great position and the north bank were screaming for him to pass but he turned and passed to his left. It did seem a bit weird.

Thankyou. Was the same at Palace last week.

For everyone else commenting, I thought Moutinho was good first half but he and Dendoncker were pretty ineffective second half when our only real constant threat came from Doherty and Traore. So for me Traore gets motm and I marked Moutinho down, just my view.

Back
Top Bottom