Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves Matchday Pub Adviser

S

Shifnal Wolf

The electric club in chapel ash is worth a try.
Pros
It's an old MEB working mans club, large bar area that holds around 200 folk, large snooker area with two tables and seats all the way round, a cosy couple of rooms, easy accessibility from room to room, served within 5 mins, usually packed, good atmosphere, hot and cold food, cheap beer due to it being a social club, and the beer is top notch due to the old uns that use it 7 days a week, plenty of tables, as close to the ground as anywhere good in town, large smoking area, proper glasses, some are even proper Mon hondled glasses for your ale, dont have to walk passed the beggars on the way into the ground, and steps if ya got bad knees.

Cons

It costs 50pence to enter if you ain't a member.

I’ve had many a good pre match drink in here, not too far to walk either

S

Shifnal Wolf

Jaspers locally for a couple (driving) then a couple after the game.

Like I posted last year, it’s time for Fosun to buy a large venue in town and open a wolves themed sports bar, guest appearances from ex players etc it would do a roaring trade.

Discounted prices for STH on none match-days.

K

Kirky

Got off the train and went straight in the Moon about 12.45, got a table for 6 no problem, got served and ordered food, had a couple more pints then walked to the Billy Wright. No problem getting served in there, but only stayed for one, then went to the Tap. It was busy as we walked in but found a bit of room half way down the bar, stayed for a couple then made our way to Mcghees which was packed inside but plenty of room outside. Even though it was busy it didn't take long to get served.
After the game it was back to Mcghees then finished off in the Tap before getting the train at 22.15. Good day out.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There was meant to be a big development opposite bohemians/ next door to the theatre. New music venue and a few other things, not sure what their progress is or how it'll end up? But would be good to open up on matchdays.
The Britannia bar is full on matchdays ffs!

Shirtliffs shinpads

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I popped in the Posada first Saturday, not as many in as I'd expected but it was only half twoish, trouble was they only had 2 bar staff behind the bar at any one time that made it take a lot longer than it should to shift a few wanting customers. all in all though it remains one of my fave pubs in wolves on none matchdays.

D

Deleted member 4023

I popped in the Posada first Saturday, not as many in as I'd expected but it was only half twoish, trouble was they only had 2 bar staff behind the bar at any one time that made it take a lot longer than it should to shift a few wanting customers. all in all though it remains one of my fave pubs in wolves on none matchdays.

Did you sample one of their famous cheese or cheese & onion cobs - they go well with the beers?

W

WasStefan

Hogs every time for me. I will never understand people who enter a pub, look at how busy it is and leave. Just plain impatience. If it takes u 10 mins to get served just double up.

Pros: good atmosphere, double pints, nice bar staff (attractive, not friendly). Massive beer garden with outside teles, outside (quiet-ish) bar during summer

Cons: does get rammed

Last edited by a moderator:
W

WasStefan

Hogs was rammed, one in one out from about 3pm.

Only good thing was you can get a few drinks from the little outside bar and two-pint cups. Otherwise, it's a 20-30 minute wait at the bar as it was towards end of last season.
I drink in there before and after every game and its never taken me that long to get served

W

WasStefan

Isn't there a new bar opening up? Opposite Natwest where Slaters used to be? Not a massive space but surely can't hurt, especially if it's half decent.
Yes ****tail bar like Bohemian / Grainstore.

Same owner for all of them in fact.

Shirtliffs shinpads

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Did you sample one of their famous cheese or cheese & onion cobs - they go well with the beers?
I didn't, I held out til the leccy club but will try one after the city game if I can get in there.
I'm a big fan of the cob, payed many a visit to the Anchor in Caunsall, the Park Tavern in Kingswinford and Pardoes in Netherton for a good bit of scran, bumble hole and enville require a good cob as does a scrumpy cider, thanks for the advice.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saturday I tried to get in the Posada, Cuban, and Lych Gate, had to queue to get in all of them so sacked it off and tried the North Bank bar, which was too busy for a soft lad like me so I just drank in the concourse. After the game the Posada was okay but again too busy for me. Might go up Chapel Ash after the City game.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn't, I held out til the leccy club but will try one after the city game if I can get in there.
I'm a big fan of the cob, payed many a visit to the Anchor in Caunsall, the Park Tavern in Kingswinford and Pardoes in Netherton for a good bit of scran, bumble hole and enville require a good cob as does a scrumpy cider, thanks for the advice.
The cobs in the Great Western are decent too. I took a friend from London the season before last and she loved the Wolverhampton pubs - the atmosphere, the prices and the cobs!

LL57SB

Groupie
Reaction score
Duke of York
Brilliant epically at 10 am with no one in there, people who turn up 3 hours before kick the pubs are going to full, get there earlier
Simples

Shirtliffs shinpads

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm sure you told your friend they weren't called anything other than cobs, Iv had some pretty long drawn out debates with bap balm out of towners, it's a cob, end of, loffin.

D

Deleted member 3518

Went Stafford pre game as was with a load of Everton fans. Yates, Sun Inn, one I forget the name of and then the coach and horses. Might start stopping there more often after reading what Wolves centre was like.

I found the the Royal Albert was the quietest pub in town last season (from the ones we tried) so we went there most weeks, anyone go there on Saturday?

Ah the Sun inn was one of our regulars in the late 60's/early 70's along with the Sheridan, used to back onto the cattle market, great days!!

D

Deleted member 4257

Anyone check out the new bar thats took over from Slaters?
I couldn't be ***** to queue for beer Saturday so we got some cans and drank them near the subway.

Shirtliffs shinpads

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Anyone check out the new bar thats took over from Slaters?
I couldn't be ***** to queue for beer Saturday so we got some cans and drank them near the subway.
Was that you with the Staffordshire bull terrier and no top on? only joking pal, we've done it ourselves when short of time on the way from the bus station, steer clear of the subway though, the loons will expect ya to join them sitting on the bench shouting at the pigeons.

Titch

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems the biggest problem is getting served. Hopefully the pubs get there arses in gear and take on more staff on matchdays, surely the extra beer sold would cover the wages!?

Shirtliffs shinpads

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Ya can usually tell the wolves fans from the rogues by spotting wether its a 2litre bottle of White star cider or a tin of proper mons brew!

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hogs every time for me. I will never understand people who enter a pub, look at how busy it is and leave. Just plain impatience. If it takes u 10 mins to get served just double up.

Pros: good atmosphere, double pints, nice bar staff (attractive, not friendly). Massive beer garden with outside teles, outside (quiet-ish) bar during summer

Cons: does get rammed

It's the pub i use none match days wen I'm up town,which is most days.Match days it's the one I usually avoid.I have mentioned it before but the staff Dow know the pulls so it's that,that makes being served tek longer.I have bin trying to get used to ales so that's why I pop in wen I'm in town.Don't think I am succeeding to tell ya the truth,to me some are bloody disgusting.:( Do like the pub though.;)

W

WasStefan

It's the pub i use none match days wen I'm up town,which is most days.Match days it's the one I usually avoid.I have mentioned it before but the staff Dow know the pulls so it's that,that makes being served tek longer.I have bin trying to get used to ales so that's why I pop in wen I'm in town.Don't think I am succeeding to tell ya the truth,to me some are bloody disgusting.:( Do like the pub though.;)
They had loads of bar staff in Saturday it was better

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Before the smoking ban and subsequently all the closures, the halfway house' mixed grill, a pint of kronenberg and a few games of pool was the order of the day before making our way up to one of the pubs in chapel ash. Nowadays it's the newhampton for a cob and a game of pool with my son, drive up to central baths, leave the car there and a short walk up to the ground.

Shirtliffs shinpads

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Central baths always been a good spot for parking, used to be a frequent user to there or the park then onto the Alex or the Clarendon, chapel ash is ideal for parking, having a pint and short walk, cor believe how it's stayed so hidden from the majority since the late 90s when drinking in town became the fashion, I remember when half the places wouldn't let ya in up there with colours on.

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The cobs in the Great Western are decent too. I took a friend from London the season before last and she loved the Wolverhampton pubs - the atmosphere, the prices and the cobs!

I can’t agree more! I’ve taken many a non-Wolves friend into the pubs in Wolvo and they all enjoyed them, especially the GW. Fantastic pub.

YamYamWolf

Reaction score
Okay my Saturday was:

The tap
Pros- it's the tap. Best atmosphere before a match. It's got that rough edge lol.
Cons - it gets tighter than a ducks ******** in there.

Hooded ram
Pros - mixes grill is banging. Was pretty quiet when in there around 2. Us and another group of lads eating. No problem getting served.
Cons - budvar is a fiver a pint.

Mcghees
Pros - well it's hard to think of any yet I always end up there.
Cons - It's mcghees.

Hogs
Pros - nice place. Good outside bit.
Cons - heaving!

IANWILSON

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Was in Grain Store. After 1.30 got pretty rammed. There goes another matchday haunt. Try Giffard next match.

cowshed

Reaction score
Spoons was ok suprisingly, wasnt too busy at all. Hooded Ram and Goose were absolutely rammed. Magees was busy and a bit of a que but still managed a beer ok. Went to London after the game, rammed for the first 20 mins then thinned out a bit.

All the way to London to get a drink?

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Off the 559 and popped into The Tatt for a quick one, then meandered up to Princess St for a healthy cheese and onion cob and a mickey mouse in The Wheatsheaf. Fortified and ready for the day up the stairs to the Gondolier surveying the throng of shoppers spewing out of C&A busying about there business in The Wulfrun Centre with a bottle of Lamot Pils in hand.

Once that was swiftly downed we skipped through The Mander Centre looking fine in our Pringles, Lois cords and Stan Smiths, deciding to check in with the rockers in The Giffard and put Haircut 100 on the jukebox just for the laugh. Then we go and bed in at Moriarty's for a few before heading over to Kipps en route for a final couple in Brannigans ahead of making our way under the subway to the match.

Pro's - was the early 80's and we were young and hadn't a care in the world, and it was easy enough to get served.

Con's - you only had a choice of the "house" bitter, mild and lager (maybe Guiness and/or Strongbow) and if the lager was Skol you were shafted, oh and we were about to go through the divisions like a dose of epsom salts.

cowshed

Reaction score
Pros
It's an old MEB working mans club, large bar area that holds around 200 folk, large snooker area with two tables and seats all the way round, a cosy couple of rooms, easy accessibility from room to room, served within 5 mins, usually packed, good atmosphere, hot and cold food, cheap beer due to it being a social club, and the beer is top notch due to the old uns that use it 7 days a week, plenty of tables, as close to the ground as anywhere good in town, large smoking area, proper glasses, some are even proper Mon hondled glasses for your ale, dont have to walk passed the beggars on the way into the ground, and steps if ya got bad knees.

Cons

Used to go there in the 60's didn't realise it was still open. Pint of bitter (Butlers from Springfield Road 1 and 6 pence a pint. Old money. No breathalysers in those days drove home as the newt.

D

Deleted member 4594

Pros

Cons

Iv been through chapel ash at least 5000 times, drunk regularly in the Clarendon, Oak and the old Alexandra for years so how have I never seen or heard of this place?!

blakenhall wolf

Reaction score
Iv been through chapel ash at least 5000 times, drunk regularly in the Clarendon, Oak and the old Alexandra for years so how have I never seen or heard of this place?!

Down side road near funeral directors if I recall??

Clarendon Hotel.
Get in at 12 to get a table. Good food reasonably priced beer. Banks on tap. Lovely pint of Sunbeam. Guest ales. Superb cobs.
Double up on pints around 1pm as it gets rammed. 10 mins max to get served.
Loads of tellies for the football as well.

D

Deleted member 4382

Odd one, but a request for advice!!

It isn’t often that we get down in time for breakfast, but we will be for the City game.

My son has decided he wants Eggs Royale. There is a place in Penkridge that we pass on the way down that does then, but is there anywhere in the centre?

Odd request I know, and it is accompanied by a very long very boring story. Help is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom