Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Youth Team

H

howlin wolf

Do we have a youth team at Molineux? and how are they doing?
Reason I ask is that I was reliving the past with my grandson and we got onto the topic of youth teams. I informed him that during the fifties and early sixties we had a fairly succesful youth team and that they could attract anything between 20,000 and 40,000 crowds, which he found hard to believe. I do remember the cup matches , especially against United , certainly attracted big crowds.
So, do we have a youth team as such and are they succesful?

J

Jungleee

Yes and they're not too bad. Some decent prospects in McAlinden, Doherty and Ismail.

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They're having one of their best seasons in many many years....could be their best ever season in the FA Academy league if they can continue with the good results they've got this year.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do we have a youth team at Molineux? and how are they doing?
Reason I ask is that I was reliving the past with my grandson and we got onto the topic of youth teams. I informed him that during the fifties and early sixties we had a fairly succesful youth team and that they could attract anything between 20,000 and 40,000 crowds, which he found hard to believe. I do remember the cup matches , especially against United , certainly attracted big crowds.
So, do we have a youth team as such and are they succesful?

I know the memory fades but I don't think we ever got crowds between 20 and 40k.
I remember being at the 1958 youth cup final 2nd leg against Chelsea when we overturned a 5-1 deficit from the first leg and won 6-1. Ted Farmer 4 goals, Cliff Durandt 2 against 1 from Jimmy Greaves. A lovely sunny evening at the Mol, crowd around 15,000.

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When we signed Doherty he was young enough to play for the Academy teams. I don't know if he ever did. I was surprised when he turned up in the Irish Under 18 team last year. I have a suspicion he played for the Youth team in one of the cup matches. Can't comment on whether he played for the Academy team, perhaps she wolf or Cannock would know.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doherty doesn't play for the academy mate
If Cullis was still our manager most of the underperforming first team players would be playing in the Academy team.:eek:
Kenny mentioned that youth team with Ted Farmer. Farmer would play one match for the first eleven and then could find himself in the third the next match.

H

howlin wolf

Just been informed the first final v Man united had 21000 for the first leg and 15000 for the second, so I wasnt too far out. We lost 9 - 3 on aggregate.Mind you Duncan Edwards was playing for them, also Pegg and Whelan. We had the great Eddie Clamp in our defence.

D

Deleted member LP 3925

:bebored::banghead: Anyone heard how that Zele kid is doing?

Back
Top Bottom