Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Your England team for Euro 2012

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Just a bit of a distraction from the gloom of this season. What would your England side be for this Summer's European Championships?

Now that Wilshere is confirmed to miss out, I'd be trying everything to persuade Paul Scholes to come out of international retirement. If he did, I'd go with:

Joe Hart
Kyle Walker, Phil Jones, Rio Ferdinand, Ashley Cole
Scott Parker, Paul Scholes
Daniel Sturridge, Wayne Rooney, Ashley Young
Danny Welbeck

Subs: Robert Green, Micah Richards, Michael Carrick, Steven Gerrard, Tom Cleverley, Adam Johnson, Theo Walcott

If Scholes doesn't want to play, I'd play Michael Carrick. And I'd play Steven Gerrard instead of Rooney whilst he is suspended.

What would everyone else go for?

M

Mancwolf

Just a bit of a distraction from the gloom of this season. What would your England side be for this Summer's European Championships?

Now that Wilshere is confirmed to miss out, I'd be trying everything to persuade Paul Scholes to come out of international retirement. If he did, I'd go with:

Joe Hart
Kyle Walker, Phil Jones, Rio Ferdinand, Ashley Cole
Scott Parker, Paul Scholes
Daniel Sturridge, Wayne Rooney, Ashley Young
Danny Welbeck

Subs: Robert Green, Micah Richards, Michael Carrick, Steven Gerrard, Tom Cleverley, Adam Johnson, Theo Walcott

If Scholes doesn't want to play, I'd play Michael Carrick. And I'd play Steven Gerrard instead of Rooney whilst he is suspended.

What would everyone else go for?

I'd play the same system as you, but with Walcott instead of Sturridge. And although I hate the man, if it was purely for football reasons, I'd play Terry alongside Ferdinand.

Tring Wolf

Reaction score
I'd play the same system as you, but with Walcott instead of Sturridge. And although I hate the man, if it was purely for football reasons, I'd play Terry alongside Ferdinand.

Yeah, my hardest decision was Walcott or Sturridge. And agree on Terry, I just couldn't bring myself to pick him.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd play a 433

Hart
Richards
Terry
Ferdinand
Cole
Gerrard
Parker
Scholes or Lampard
Walcott (purely for pace)
Rooney
Young

worc.wolves

Groupie
Reaction score
Hart
Richards terry Ferdinand cole
Parker Carrick (scholes if possible)
Walcott gerrard young
Rooney (welbeck in his absence)

Subs: Green, jones, lescott, Johnson, clev, Sturridge, crouch

Probably forgot someone for subs but hey. Not the worst team In the world. Not the best either. Happy with quarters tbh.

Last edited by a moderator:

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't want Young anywhere near the side because he is a disgusting cheat.

W

wanderer24

Hart

Richards. Jagielka. Lescott. Cole

Walcott. Wilshere(Milner). Barry. Young

Bent. Sturridge

worc.wolves

Groupie
Reaction score
Don't want Young anywhere near the side because he is a disgusting cheat.

Half the Spanish team are disgusting cheats. Would you not take them either? Part and parcel of the game in afraid as crap as it is. If you're going to get anywhere in a tournament you need your best players. No matter how much of a little $$$$ they are...

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Half the Spanish team are disgusting cheats. Would you not take them either? Part and parcel of the game in afraid as crap as it is. If you're going to get anywhere in a tournament you need your best players. No matter how much of a little $$$$ they are...

Do it in the Premier League you're a cheat

Do it for your country with the same result and you're a hero!

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I just fear for his safety if we play one of the host nations.

Chiswick_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can Terry and Ferdinand be in the same team together after what happened earlier in the season? I'm not so sure...

--------------HART--------------

-WALKER--CAHILL--TERRY--COLE-

------------PARKER--------------

-------LAMPARD--SCHOLES------

--LENNON---------------YOUNG-

------------ROONEY------------

That team could easily accomodate Walcott for Lennon, A Johnson for Young, Gerrard for Lampard etc. Centre Back is a tough one. My heart says - do away with Terry and Ferdinand and start thinking about 2 years time as well - and go for Lescott and Cahill. By my head says - no manager will be forward thinking enough to do that and will probably go for Ferdinand and Terry.

W

wanderer24

Glad you're not in charge!
It's about picking a team, not a bunch of individuals. Big name players have consistently failed and particularly at the highest level and we haven't exactly had a glut of successful management of the England team from any aspect; so in conclusion to dismiss my team selection in such a way is rude and ignorant.

We should take a leaf out of Stuart Lancasters book in rugby union, he has more or less ignored the big name players who have been at the core of the team over the part four or five years and took a blend of players and particularly young talent and given those players an opportunity to shine. As a a result they have looked like a TEAM for the first time since 2003.

When was the last time we had a football TEAM? Under Hoddle 98? Venables 96? A supposed cream of talent has let us down time and time again. Players such as Ferdinand, Terry, Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney have all failed when it really counted.

I can still remember the last world cup.....can't you?

Wolf in Cradley

Groupie
Reaction score
..................Hart

Richards...Terry...Lescott...Cole

............Parker..Scholes

Walcott.......Gerrard.......Young

.............Rooney(Wellbeck while WR is suspended)

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's about picking a team, not a bunch of individuals. Big name players have consistently failed and particularly at the highest level and we haven't exactly had a glut of successful management of the England team from any aspect; so in conclusion to dismiss my team selection in such a way is rude and ignorant.

We should take a leaf out of Stuart Lancasters book in rugby union, he has more or less ignored the big name players who have been at the core of the team over the part four or five years and took a blend of players and particularly young talent and given those players an opportunity to shine. As a a result they have looked like a TEAM for the first time since 2003.

When was the last time we had a football TEAM? Under Hoddle 98? Venables 96? A supposed cream of talent has let us down time and time again. Players such as Ferdinand, Terry, Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney have all failed when it really counted.

I can still remember the last world cup.....can't you?

Well for a start 2 of your team are injured..........

F

FLEET WOLF

Walcott instead of Sturridge-there is no way I would take Terry or Ferdinand (and they clearly cannot play together now because of this nonsense with Anton).

F

FLEET WOLF

Carrick has been excellent.

He is still too slow and ponderous for International football for me. Now that we have lost Wilshere in midfield, we are stuck with the likes of a past it Gerrard (who has never been that good for England), Parker (who is good and should have been playing for England for years) and various wide people.

We haven't even got a manager and the thing starts in under 2 months-typical crappy England and personally I am far more interested in the England/South Africa test series this summer.

W

wolvo_boi

NWW you don't make it easy for yourself with your biased towards Man Utd

Tring Wolf

Reaction score
NWW you don't make it easy for yourself with your biased towards Man Utd

I'm anything but a United fan but agree with NWW's points. Ferdinand will be a lot less divisive a presence in the squad than Terry and Carrick has been excellent this season.

Referring to the earlier point that it is about a team rather than a group of individuals. Surely in that case, it would make sense to take as many of United's English players as possible and then supplement this with the best players from other clubs. United are the best attacking side in the country so why wouldn't you want to get as many of their front six playing together in the same side?

You could end up with a team of:

Hart
Walker, Jones, Ferdinand, A.Cole
Carrick, Scholes
Walcott, Rooney, Young
Welbeck

Basically their first choice front six with the exception of Walcott for Valencia/Nani.

The best argument against this is probably their failure in Europe this season but considering they had reached 2 of the last 3 Champions League finals that may not carry too much weight either.

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
------------------HART-------------------
------------------------------------------
RICHARDS----TERRY-- LESCOTT------COLE
------------PARKER---GERRARD-----------
A.JOHNSON------------------------MILNER
-----------------ROONEY-----------------
------------------DEFOE------------------

(Gerrard behind Defoe whilst Rooney is suspended, with Carrick filling Gerrard's position)

Subs:

Foster
Jones
Cahill
Smalling
Walker
Carrick
Barry
Lampard
Young
Walcott
Sturridge
Welbeck

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And for those picking bad influence and injured John Terry over Ferdinand???

Nuts

Terry has had a more impressive season than Rio in my opinion. In fact I've always thought that Terry is the more assured defender even with both of them at their peak. Rio at International level has been a liability for me. I'm not saying he's crap as he clearly isn't, I just do not rate him in the same mould as some do.

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm anything but a United fan but agree with NWW's points. Ferdinand will be a lot less divisive a presence in the squad than Terry and Carrick has been excellent this season.

Referring to the earlier point that it is about a team rather than a group of individuals. Surely in that case, it would make sense to take as many of United's English players as possible and then supplement this with the best players from other clubs. United are the best attacking side in the country so why wouldn't you want to get as many of their front six playing together in the same side?

Hart
Carrick, Scholes
Walcott, Rooney, Young
Welbeck

Basically their first choice front six with the exception of Walcott for Valencia/Nani.

The best argument against this is probably their failure in Europe this season but considering they had reached 2 of the last 3 Champions League finals that may not carry too much weight either.

Very justifiable post!

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Hart
Carrick, Scholes
Walcott, Rooney, Young
Welbeck

Good point TW. I only don't rate Young aka Bambi on ice (but on the other hand who's better for the left side?) and I would still play Terry instead of Jones. I agree English clubs' failure in Europe this season may be a blessing in disguise. A number of games played per season has grown so much that at the biggest international tournaments often players who were injured for half a season or only used as fringe ones in their clubs emerge as stars. So less games at the club, better for country. And in case of United players we're talking about very top players from a very top club.

Btw. Carrick >> Barry all the time.

One more point about Walcott. His decision making has vastly improved this season. He's grown some football brain and he's now a very effective player (goals and assists). Possible star of the tournament if he's not too tired (see above).

Although I'm not English I always wish England very well. I for one hope you can win the whole thing!

Back
Top Bottom