Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Young and Hungry Policy... Again...

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have to point out that Man Utd did this long before McCarthy came to the club!

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Poor Alex. He was throwing money at players like confetti up to a few years ago and didnt see a problem. Now that others are doing it and he has no money he thinks its wrong.

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have to point out that Man Utd did this long before McCarthy came to the club!

I read this as slightly different... They got very lucky about 15-20 years ago (although due in no small parts to excellent management) with a crop of excellent players coming through all at the same time... I think what he's talking about now is investing in / paying less for young players (like Hernandez) and then bringing them through the first team... and actually using this as your main policy - as opposed to spending lots of money on stars, then hoping that one or two of your youth team come through once every few years to compliment the team...

Sounds like a direct change in policy to me - probably forced on him due to the fact that the Glaziers have no money and are billions in debt...

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely Wenger has been doing this at Arsenal for years? Great to watch but hasn't won anything for ages!

W

wolvo_boi

He is having a moan but his record purchase was £30.7m for Dimitar Berbatov :eek:

Ulver

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I read this as slightly different... They got very lucky about 15-20 years ago (although due in no small parts to excellent management) with a crop of excellent players coming through all at the same time... I think what he's talking about now is investing in / paying less for young players (like Hernandez) and then bringing them through the first team... and actually using this as your main policy - as opposed to spending lots of money on stars, then hoping that one or two of your youth team come through once every few years to compliment the team...

Sounds like a direct change in policy to me - probably forced on him due to the fact that the Glaziers have no money and are billions in debt...

Still paid more for Hernandez then we have ever paid for a player. How much was Smalling? 7-8m?

Ferdinand £30m, Rooney £20-25m, Berbatov £30m, Nani & Anderson in excess of £10m each, Carrick £18m, Hargreaves £16-20m... even those kids Ljajic and ... (I forget the name) cost over £10m for the pair... How much was Veron? £25m?

Man City are only doing to United what they have been doing to everyone else. Most of Utd's top players earn 3-4 times what ours earn. If Man City pay Zlaatan £500k a week then that's about 4 times Utd's top earners.

At least Man City's money is coming from genuine personal/commercial wealth with a pedigree in sporting investment and not a bunch of over-leveraged rednecks.

(I don't like what Man City are doing personally but in perspective it's nothing new).

A wanderer from Bristol

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still paid more for Hernandez then we have ever paid for a player. How much was Smalling? 7-8m?

Ferdinand £30m, Rooney £20-25m, Berbatov £30m, Nani & Anderson in excess of £10m each, Carrick £18m, Hargreaves £16-20m... even those kids Ljajic and ... (I forget the name) cost over £10m for the pair... How much was Veron? £25m?

Man City are only doing to United what they have been doing to everyone else. Most of Utd's top players earn 3-4 times what ours earn. If Man City pay Zlaatan £500k a week then that's about 4 times Utd's top earners.

At least Man City's money is coming from genuine personal/commercial wealth with a pedigree in sporting investment and not a bunch of over-leveraged rednecks.

(I don't like what Man City are doing personally but in perspective it's nothing new).

Not sure about that. City's spending is a step up from Utd and Chelsea IMHO. Not only are they spending ridiculously big they are spending on quantity and then refusing to loan or sell to their premiership rivals. They are conrnering the market in available players - seemingly sometimes just to stop others signing players.

Or if they do loan players to the bottom half clubs they may end up strengthening 8-10 teams against every other team other than themselves as their loaned players won't be able to play against CIty. I've always hated that rule BTW

bigbluewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst Ferguson may have spent a lot of money in the past, its been spread over a few years with usually only one big signing per season. City have spent £125m this close season alone which is far in excess of what Man Utd or Chelsea have ever done.

And Ferguson has always had a youth policy of sorts, whether this is through the Academy or buying young players. Ronaldo was 18/19 when he signed, Nani was about the same and I imagine there are others as well but I can't be bothered to research.

A wanderer from Bristol

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst Ferguson may have spent a lot of money in the past, its been spread over a few years with usually only one big signing per season. City have spent £125m this close season alone which is far in excess of what Man Utd or Chelsea have ever done.

And Ferguson has always had a youth policy of sorts, whether this is through the Academy or buying young players. Ronaldo was 18/19 when he signed, Nani was about the same and I imagine there are others as well but I can't be bothered to research.

Agreed. Ferguson has brought through Scholes Giggs, Beckham, the Nevs and Brown, O'Shea and Fletcher too.

At City the likes of Johnson, Onouha and Ireland have been ousted and Richards looks likely to follow suit

Ulver

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He still paid £12m for Ronaldo. My point was not that Man City are spending like Man Utd/Chelsea but that the excess has been the equivalent to how it was with Utd/Chelsea versus the rest of us.

The changing of managers at City has played a large part though. Mancini clearly doesn't fancy a lot of Hughes' signings as Hughes didn't like Sven's.

And regarding young players, what about taking Adam Johnson from the championship and throwing him straight in to first team football or siging super Mario from Inter who could either turn into a superstar or a complete liability.

I suspect that City have found it hard to shift fringe players due to the large contracts that they are on and that every other club (including Wolves) have had to trim their squads to comply with regulations. The only issue this pre-season has been regarding Bellamy to Tottenham. Would be very silly to sell him to Spurs. If it had been Sunderland/Blackburn/fulham then I'm sure they would have welcomed a deal. Utd did the same when refusing to sell Heinze to Liverpool.

If they fail to deal with the players properly then the top players will never go there anyway..

Ulver

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed. Ferguson has brought through Scholes Giggs, Beckham, the Nevs and Brown, O'Shea and Fletcher too.

At City the likes of Johnson, Onouha and Ireland have been ousted and Richards looks likely to follow suit

You can't place the blame solely on the club. Most of those Utd players had a great drive and attitude unlike Richards for example who has openly admitted that for a time his mind wasn't on the game. None of those you listed were ever good enough for a team aspiring for the top whereas Joe Hart is and he has ousted the 'bigname' signing in Shay Given..

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have heard Ferguson, Giggs, Scholes recently having a go at City about the money they are spending and saying that they wont win the title. If it didnt bother them they wouldnt be saying anything. Sour grapes dont taste good ( not that i've ever tasted them). I have no great love of what City are doing but obviously the closed shop that was the top 4 doesn't want any unwelcome customers.

Just get the funny feeling that Man U, and particularly Alex, are a little scared of what might happen this season.

A wanderer from Bristol

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can't place the blame solely on the club. Most of those Utd players had a great drive and attitude unlike Richards for example who has openly admitted that for a time his mind wasn't on the game. None of those you listed were ever good enough for a team aspiring for the top whereas Joe Hart is and he has ousted the 'bigname' signing in Shay Given..

Fair points although I'm not sure Ireland was ever given a fair crack of the whip under Mancini. But I take your point about the other young City players, and Hart by comparison.

Scholes and Giggs etc were/are made or exceptional stuff. See those two last night? Combined age of 71!!

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good points all round.

Fergie has, as per usual, just come across as a huge hypocrite

D

Dewolf

Good points all round.

Fergie has, as per usual, just come across as a huge hypocrite

Completely agree! How they can moan about the monster that is Man City when they were at the begining of the whole charade beggers belief.

No one should ever forget it was them that were the first club to take 'football club' off the badge because they wanted to be a global brand!!

F

FLEET WOLF

I think that is a fair summary of the situation. My guess is that City will struggling by Christmas-when I say struggling, I mean perhaps only fifth and Mancini will get sacked and replaced by someone else who will spend again in the next window.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that is a fair summary of the situation. My guess is that City will struggling by Christmas-when I say struggling, I mean perhaps only fifth and Mancini will get sacked and replaced by someone else who will spend again in the next window.

I think a few people are hoping for this, (the struggling bit, rather than the spend again bit).

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some good points made - I guess where I was coming from is I firmly believe that clubs are looking hard and long at how "successful" Wolves have been to date since they turned to their "buy young, homegrown players with supposed potential, and nurture them into top players" policy...

Newcastle may as well have taken Jez's statement from 4 years ago, and pasted that onto their website this summer, word-for-word

And now, United are saying it would appear, that they are no longer looking to 30M purchases every year or so (cos they can't!), but are now looking to adopt a similar policy - Smalling and Hernandez being good examples. Given that El Chicharito's signed for approximately the same money as Fletcher and he's young, and one they can nurture and bring through the team indoctrinating the Man United and Sir Alex playing ethos in the process - reaping the rewards over the next few years...

Having a good academy is one thing - bringing young players in from other clubs who tend to be still young, but slightly older, non-academy and who normally come for a reasonably small fee - but who show the potential to be "nurtured"

A good example being Michael Kightly... :)

And hopefully Jake Cassidy... ;)

My bet is Albion will be the next to follow suit... <<rolls eyes>>

Last edited by a moderator:

albell

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yes, Man U have spent a lot of money and bought big players over the years but I find it hard to even compare the way they did it and the way City are doing it.

I'm not a big Ferguson fan but I despise the way City have done things. I would love it if they fell flat on their faces.

I'm not a big Wenger fan either but out of all the 'big' teams I'd probably be happiest if they finished 2nd behind Wolves....

westside wolf

Reaction score
I read a City fan somewhere saying Milner was a player with great potential and City was a great place for this potential to grow. As far as i can tell its an absolute graveyard for "potential", especially if you're young and british.

Edmund Dantes

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I wonder what must be on the mind of any of Man City's academy players?

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
we should scrap the youth team as we dont produce players to a decent standard.we let mark little and dj leave for nothing and pay them god knows how many thousand a week.we prefer to buy players from other teams.it costs a million a year to run.i have had enough as hennessey and mark davies last real players that have contributed to team.

Chiswick_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hardly Sir Alex Frugal-son

http://www.footbo.com/Teams/Manchester_United/Transfers

Player From Fee[40][43] Date
1 Dimitar Berbatov Tottenham Hotspur£30.75 million September 2008
2 Rio Ferdinand Leeds United £29.1 million July 2002
3 Juan Sebastián Verón Lazio £28.1 million July 2001
4 Wayne Rooney Everton £27 million August 2004
5 Ruud van Nistelrooy PSV Eindhoven £19 million June 2001
6 Anderson Porto £17.3 million July 2007
7 Owen Hargreaves Bayern Munich £17 million May 2007
8 Antonio Valencia Wigan Athletic £16 million June 2009[44]
9 Nani Sporting CP £14.7 million July 2007
10 Michael Carrick Tottenham Hotspur £14 million July 2006

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair points although I'm not sure Ireland was ever given a fair crack of the whip under Mancini. But I take your point about the other young City players, and Hart by comparison.

Scholes and Giggs etc were/are made or exceptional stuff. See those two last night? Combined age of 71!!

Wow! I`m younger than both of them put together. :D

Back
Top Bottom