Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wrexham…… promotion done and dusted April 22 nd?

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Ha ha. It's only cause I watch a lot of Notts and it's tedious is the love in
I hope Notts County go up in the playoffs because they deserve it . Not really a fan of them though for the reasons outlined in this earlier post.

I watch Gateshead regularly and it was the front pairing of Macaulay Langstaff and Cedwyn Scott who completely tore up the National League North and propelled Gateshead to promotion and champions last season. Langstaff was amazing. Great speed and can score all types of goals. Watching him all last season reminded me so much of Bully. Not sure he could do it at the top level but possibly. Definitely think he would get goals in the Championship. He also has a fantastic never say die attitude and always seems to enjoy his football.

Interestingly, all the posters talking about Wrexham buying the league, there are two sides to every story. Notts County swooped in and signed both of that Gateshead strike force on the eve of this season's National League season (Langstaff and Scott), paying money that Gateshead could turn down, but leaving them in a pickle before the season started. They messed about with the club and the players for weeks before finally paying what they were worth and completely unsettled the pre-season preparation for Gateshead. Thanks to a storming late season run, Gateshead have managed to survive relegation this season and reach the FA Trophy final, but losing those two so close to the start of the season set them back hugely.

When Gateshead played Notts County at Gateshead at the beginning of the season the Notts County fans were waving bank notes at them and were singing, "We bought your team and now you're ****, we bought your team and now you're ****." Gateshead actually managed to draw that game and Langstaff was subbed off as he was out of sorts (he had a great relationship with the Gateshead fans). Hopefully that draw will contribute to Wrexham pipping them to the title. Personally, I hope both Wrexham and Notts County go up, as they both deserve it, but if only one of them ends up promoted I hope it's Wrexham. They have a tough game today against Boreham Wood, but if they fail to win that they should beat already relegated Torquay next week. Would like to see them do it this week at home though.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love how even a feel good story like this has people finding ways to try and tarnish it and complain about it. Some folks were just born miserable.
Not really when you've followed Notts as a second team for a while and the constant media attention on Wrexham is rather disrespectful to the other teams.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not really when you've followed Notts as a second team for a while and the constant media attention on Wrexham is rather disrespectful to the other teams.

Certainly can't blame Reynolds for that, he has bigged up Notts County at every single opportunity. Hopefully they win the play offs.

As for the media attention, I don't think it is hard to fathom why Wrexham are getting it...

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Certainly can't blame Reynolds for that, he has bigged up Notts County at every single opportunity. Hopefully they win the play offs.

As for the media attention, I don't think it is hard to fathom why Wrexham are getting it...
It's not him that's the issue it's the media. Really disrespectful to the other teams

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whats odd about supporting the club where I am from and grew up and the team my family support?
Maybe that's a question for the floor?

How many of us claim to support two teams?

I watch out for Orients results, I'm interested in how Basingstoke are doing but I only love one team.

If you wanna support two teams, then knock yourself out. Be prepared to be considered a weirdo by your peers though.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I watch out for Orients results, I'm interested in how Basingstoke are doing but I only love one team.

If you wanna support two teams, then knock yourself out. Be prepared to be considered a weirdo by your peers though.
Guilty!
But all things considered understandable.

Forza Inter!

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Guilty!
But all things considered understandable.

Forza Inter!
Little bit different. Culturally with ties to England and Italy, the Maltese support English and/or Italian clubs.

I'm assuming many chose Italian clubs, not just because of ancestral links but because Italian TV was viewable on the Islands?

I don't know when the first English match was broadcast live, but I'm sure recorded matches and highlights were shown on TV before live feeds were a thing?

I also reckon that before TV was widespread, English football was listened to on the BBC World service and followed in newspapers?

Culturally very different to here in England. I dare say if I lived abroad I would adopt a local team, but again that's very different.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Little bit different. Culturally with ties to England and Italy, the Maltese support English and/or Italian clubs.

I'm assuming many chose Italian clubs, not just because of ancestral links but because Italian TV was viewable on the Islands?

I don't know when the first English match was broadcast live, but I'm sure recorded matches and highlights were shown on TV before live feeds were a thing?

I also reckon that before TV was widespread, English football was listened to on the BBC World service and followed in newspapers?

Culturally very different to here in England. I dare say if I lived abroad I would adopt a local team, but again that's very different.
1. Yes, at a certain point in time it was easier to watch Italian football than English. And unless one invests in more expensive subs, it probably still is. Unless of course one goes the unspoken of route. The "match of the day" equivalent was/is called "Novantesimo Minuto" translates as 90th minute. Since before live televised games all games were played on Sunday afternoon (the equivalent of Saturday you brits pine for so much), Sunday 6.30 PM was an unmissable time on RAI (the Italian state Station, also the equivalent of the BBC).
2. For English football we used to get Star Soccer. But that would be a week delayed. And to think.... we complain now if a stream has a 30 seconds delay to the real action.
3. No actually. No need for BBC world service. Here is a bit of nostalgia... we had Rediffusion. Britain's gift to the colonies in the form of cable radio. 2 channels, one with local crapola and the other with.... tada.... BFBS. For the uninformed that stood for British Forces Broadcasting Services. It remained until the late 70's whereas, sadly you colonisers left us without defence. Just kidding. We got tourists to defend us. For football it carried the BBC world service, and yes one could follow the unfolding of what the BBC wanted us to hear unfold. In the 90's the country got cable television and hence league televised matches became available. In the 2000's we got broadband and needed nothing else, thank you very much.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1. Yes, at a certain point in time it was easier to watch Italian football than English. And unless one invests in more expensive subs, it probably still is. Unless of course one goes the unspoken of route. The "match of the day" equivalent was/is called "Novantesimo Minuto" translates as 90th minute. Since before live televised games all games were played on Sunday afternoon (the equivalent of Saturday you brits pine for so much), Sunday 6.30 PM was an unmissable time on RAI (the Italian state Station, also the equivalent of the BBC).
2. For English football we used to get Star Soccer. But that would be a week delayed. And to think.... we complain now if a stream has a 30 seconds delay to the real action.
3. No actually. No need for BBC world service. Here is a bit of nostalgia... we had Rediffusion. Britain's gift to the colonies in the form of cable radio. 2 channels, one with local crapola and the other with.... tada.... BFBS. For the uninformed that stood for British Forces Broadcasting Services. It remained until the late 70's whereas, sadly you colonisers left us without defence. Just kidding. We got tourists to defend us. For football it carried the BBC world service, and yes one could follow the unfolding of what the BBC wanted us to hear unfold. In the 90's the country got cable television and hence league televised matches became available. In the 2000's we got broadband and needed nothing else, thank you very much.
I love your history lessons.

My original response was much longer but too political to escape deletion lol. Can't be bothered to type it again.

Yamalroite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The other side of the table. Yeovil, S****horpe and Torquay relegated to 2nd tier of Non League. Footballs brutul.

Them stadiums in that League crazy. Weren't so long ago we were playing them in league games was it.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

not as strange as you might think.
a lot of Scottish have an English team for sure. i’m not brave enough to have ascottish team apart from the junior football side i’ve watched a few times.
i was brought up a fan of a very unpopular club on here, but have had a season ticket at Wolves for the last 15 years, even though i live in a different country now.
Don’t judge everyone by your own standards and circumstances.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Supporting and being a fan are 2 different things
If your a supporter you go to games and pay your money to support the club
If your a fan you dont go but still are loyal to the team and tend to watch on tv rather than go to games
You can obviously still like other teams and have interest in their results but thats not being a supporter really

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
not as strange as you might think.
a lot of Scottish have an English team for sure. i’m not brave enough to have ascottish team apart from the junior football side i’ve watched a few times.
Again very different.
i was brought up a fan of a very unpopular club on here, but have had a season ticket at Wolves for the last 15 years, even though i live in a different country now.
Don’t judge everyone by your own standards and circumstances.
You are very much in the minority.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Supporting and being a fan are 2 different things
If your a supporter you go to games and pay your money to support the club
If your a fan you dont go but still are loyal to the team and tend to watch on tv rather than go to games
You can obviously still like other teams and have interest in their results but thats not being a supporter really
Some "fans" by that logic are bigger "supporters" than regular attendees.

My brother and nephews in America probably all spend more money on Wolves merchandise than I do in my ST.

The club are lucky if they get a further £20 off me every season - half time beers aside.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Again very different.

You are very much in the minority.
nope you’re judging people by your standards and your circumstances. it’s not my fault i wasn’t born into a Wolves family, and it doesn’t make me any less of a fan.
i agree with the vast majority of what you post but feel you’re dead wrong here. but then perhaps i’m judging you by your circumstances!

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
nope you’re judging people by your standards and your circumstances. it’s not my fault i wasn’t born into a Wolves family, and it doesn’t make me any less of a fan.
i agree with the vast majority of what you post but feel you’re dead wrong here. but then perhaps i’m judging you by your circumstances!
You don't feel you're in minority? When you attend a match, you feel a large percentage of people in the pub and stands have divided loyalties?

There's a group of about twenty of us who regularly meet before/after a match in the pub. Unless some of them are harbouring dirty secrets, I'm pretty sure they're all 100% Wolf.

I live in the south, I know loads of fans of south coast and London clubs, they're all monoclubbers. I see no evidence in my circumstances or the circumstances of those around me to suggest your situation is widespread or normal.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You don't feel you're in minority? When you attend a match, you feel a large percentage of people in the pub and stands have divided loyalties?

There's a group of about twenty of us who regularly meet before/after a match in the pub. Unless some of them are harbouring dirty secrets, I'm pretty sure they're all 100% Wolf.

I live in the south, I know loads of fans of south coast and London clubs, they're all monoclubbers. I see no evidence in my circumstances or the circumstances of those around me to suggest your situation is widespread or normal.
i haven’t said anywhere that i actively support two clubs as i don’t.
i’ve said it is more widespread than you think imo and each to their own

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not if you meet a certain BRIGHT fellow who is also very fussy and hot. Some say he screams veeeeeela when he's been naughty.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i haven’t said anywhere that i actively support two clubs as i don’t.
i’ve said it is more widespread than you think imo and each to their own
It's not. Not at Wolves, not anywhere.

I know a villa fan from Walsall, he went to Wembley to watch the saddlers in what I assume was the Johnstone's paint trophy final, he's not watched them since - that doesn't equate to supporting Walsall.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I know a villa fan from Walsall, he went to Wembley to watch the saddlers in what I assume was the Johnstone's paint trophy final, he's not watched them since - that doesn't equate to supporting Walsall.

we’ll have to agree to disagree

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
However can not stand the Wrexham fans
I recall meeting a Wrexham fan some years ago when over to support the Wolves. He was bringing his son to see league football, though adamant he was from and supported Wrexham, he noted that Wolves were one of those clubs nearest to Wrexham. Always felt it was a pleasant treat for his young lad and that other Wrexham fans might also lend support to Wolves while they were outside of the football league.

I also note Anthony Forde who started his career at Wolves has finished off at Wrexham.

Best of luck and every success to the club now that they are back in the football league.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Getting back on topic, an interesting read...

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally would deny them entry to the EFL and suggest they enter the Welsh league, the anti-English attitude I've experienced travelling with their fans makes me wonder why they would want to be in an English league

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Their promotion parade is live now on YouTube. My wife is a fan, ( and me to a lesser extent).

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally would deny them entry to the EFL and suggest they enter the Welsh league, the anti-English attitude I've experienced travelling with their fans makes me wonder why they would want to be in an English league
Maybe the Wrexham fans might agree with you provided they have their country back. They might think you can’t have it both ways…….just saying, is all.
Anyway, this is not the Political thread.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe the Wrexham fans might agree with you provided they have their country back. They might think you can’t have it both ways…….just saying, is all.
Anyway, this is not the Political thread.
Congratulations you win the most hilarious post I've ever read on here :) :) :) :) and I live in Wales!

Back
Top Bottom