Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Worst pitch in the Prem?

Hrothgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Daily Telegraph today whilst giving us begrudging praise for our efforts v Liverpool goes on to say "neither side appeared able to string passes on a pitch challenging to be the worst in the league" I find that hard to believe but what do others think?

Big Mack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Gerrard placed some blame on the pitch for the lack of passing in his post match inteview too. If our pitch suits then that's great... do they really expect us to prepare the pitch so they can ping the ball about as they would have liked? In my view the pitch made the game better as we saw some real challenges - see ref thread praising him for allowing a real game of football.

W

wolvo_boi

Always thought our pitch has looked brilliant.

All this has probably come from Gerrard saying 'the ball was bobbling everywhere'.......... It probably bobbled once when he put a poor cross in when in space to the right of our area. They will never admit without Torres and a fully fit Gerrard they are a mid table side.

J

Jack

One of my mate's dad is part of the groundstaff and I can tell you now there is not a more committed and passionate team in the League.

When a game gets called off, he's virtually in tears in the pub.

In regards to the pitch, I didn't think it looked too bad and has consistently been of an excellent standard.

Hrothgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yea I thought it smacked of sour grapes somehow-whenever I've been to the Mol the pitch has looked immaculate and certainly isnt a quagmire or noticeably any bumpier than most other grounds Ive been to-infact I'd say it was one of the better ones really. Guess they couldnt think of anything else to blame/criticise.

W

wolvo_boi

One of my mate's dad is part of the groundstaff and I can tell you now there is not a more committed and passionate team in the League.

When a game gets called off, he's virtually in tears in the pub.

In regards to the pitch, I didn't think it looked too bad and has consistently been of an excellent standard.

I know the head groundsman Wayne and he takes great pride in his work.

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always thought our pitch has looked brilliant.

All this has probably come from Gerrard saying 'the ball was bobbling everywhere'.......... It probably bobbled once when he put a poor cross in when in space to the right of our area. They will never admit without Torres and a fully fit Gerrard they are a mid table side.

Spot on, was going to post the same thing. All come about because of that scouse gob$$$$e spouting off yesterday.

I

itsonlyagame

Come on guys, they are Liverpool, the mighty reds!! When things don't go to plan, it can't possibly be them! It MUST therefore be the pitch, or the air temperature, or air quality, or length of the turf, or width of the pitch, or...or... or........

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pathetic! You would never have heard Liverpool players like Tommy Smith whining on about the pitch -- they just got on with it. Pity Gerrard couldn't be transported nack in time 30 years, when by January there wasn't a blade of grass on the pitch down the middle from one goal-mouth to the other, and that was true of every top division ground.

P

Penk wolf

Someone comment to me today how bad the pitch looked (He wasn't a Liverpool fan). I said I never noticed.

Scott.Cooper

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watched Football First and to be fair the pitch looked terrible (for Premiership Standards). Personally I think it always looks good but considering the players had two weeks on/off training on the pitch they have done a good job - perhaps it looks different in real life.

W

Westport Wolf

Unfortunately the Irish Independent buys in it's football reports from the Daily Telegraph, so I read the same $$$$e myself this morning. I couldn't believe it. I've always believed that we have one of the best pitches in football, let alone the premiership. As 'Itsonlyagame' says, they're the mighty reds. They couldn't have played badly, it must've been the pitch. A red mate of mine text me last night to say the game was a poor advert for the premiership... Is that because Liverpool didn't win by anychance? I have to admit, I absolutely loved watching Matt Jarvis tear that $$$$ Carragher to shreds down the left. It almost made up for the loss of 2 points.

T

Toon Wolf

Hasn't our pitch won awards in recent years? I'm sure it hasn't deteriorated that much, has it?

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had the Grass virus/fungi a few years ago and that really destroyed what had been a good pitch. But has been made good from the games I`ve seen

Gerard actually made a back hand compliment when he said a point gained rather than 3 lost!

The worst I see are the ones who allow rugby to be played on them..

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was shocked to see how much it had deteriorated since the City game. The explanation is of course that the team have been training at Molineux throughout the big freeze. If you look closely you can see their running circuits all around tha apron of the pitch . . . no fault of the ground staff!!

J

Jameswwfc

I always thought it looked nice from where i sit but after watching football first this morning i was quite surprised how bad it actually looked.

K

Kent_wolves_29

I think it looked muddy in patches with the floodlights making the surface glisten. Was it watered much before the game do we know? West Mids have wet weather yesterday? I was suprised with the condition of it, I must admit.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm surprised Liverpool noticed the pitch with the amount of time they were heading or hoofing the ball skywards!

Chiswick_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It didn't look great from my lofty perch in the Billy Wright but I don't think the groundstaff have any blame. It's normally great but I guess having to train at Molineux during the cold spell hasn't helped.

That said, maybe it might be worth trying to keep the pitch in that sort of condition for the rest of the season? Certainly limits the passing game of the top teams whilst if anything helping our, to coin Stan Cullis, "Kick-and-Rush" style. Mourinho did something similar at Chelsea a few years ago.

Reaction score
Yeah because playing rugby on Wigan's pitch keeps it in great knick doesn't it...

People can handle that Liverpool aren't playing well, but when a relegation threatened side have the best of a game against them they look for excuses. Liverpool, minus Gerrard and Torres, are an upper midtable side. Add two of the best players in the world to any side and they'd look good.

Back
Top Bottom