Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

World Series.

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
San Francisco Giants are winning the series 2-1 against the Texas Rangers, game 4 has just started.

For those of you who don't know much about the San Francisco Giants, they play in Orange and Black and in other similarities to our very own Wolves side are made up of a bunch of really tight knit team mates, none of whom are really big names.

We've spent most of the season at AT&T park waving 'it's torture' banners as the Giants have a tendance to make things a lot more exciting than needs be. Also remind you of anyone?

The Giants last won the word series in 1953.

For those of you who remember what it was like before the game against Sheff Utd at Cardiff, the scenes before first two games of the World Series in San Francisco have been very similar. AT&T Park holds 45,000 and they could have sold it out 3 times over.

Last edited by a moderator:

leedswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many countries compete in this 'world' series?

S

Shifnal Wolf

I'm actually a fan of the SF Giants after visiting the city twice and also have some friends there. Always look out for their results and happy they are close to winning it! Also the 49ers won last night so a good day all round for San Francisco

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Giants won 4-0 to go 3-1 up in the series. Hopefully they can clinch it tonight. Their star pitcher Tim Lincecum goes up against the Rangers top man Lee. When the same 2 started in game one Giants smacked Lee all over the place, but I guess things might be different back in Arlington.

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
Its bedlam in San Francisco, the Giants have won the world series for the first time since 1953. Given the team wasn't given a prayer at the start of the season, it's probably the biggest sporting win the city has ever experienced. There are going to be a lot of people pulling sick days tomorrow. There's a full scale party going on.

WestChiltingtonwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For all those knocking the "world series" what about the "Champions league". Arsenal haven't won the league for 7 years - Liverpool haven't won the title for 20 years yet both have been happily competing in the competition.

Theres no doubt that with the possible exception of the Japanese and the Cubans, historically no-one is really good enough to challenge them anyway. Is it arrogance if you are the best?

I am sure if one Japanese club team got good enough to join they would be given the opportunity - especially if the money was right.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For all those knocking the "world series" what about the "Champions league". Arsenal haven't won the league for 7 years - Liverpool haven't won the title for 20 years yet both have been happily competing in the competition.

Theres no doubt that with the possible exception of the Japanese and the Cubans, historically no-one is really good enough to challenge them anyway. Is it arrogance if you are the best?

I am sure if one Japanese club team got good enough to join they would be given the opportunity - especially if the money was right.

Not sure I catch your drift here Roffey. I am knocking the world series as its just involves the yanks. How is the champions league the same?

S

Shifnal Wolf

I think he ws referring to the name of the competition as the Champions League involves teams like Arsenal and Liverpool who haven't won the title in years so technically they are not champions.

WestChiltingtonwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure I catch your drift here Roffey. I am knocking the world series as its just involves the yanks. How is the champions league the same?

Its just another nonsense really. Its easy to knock the yanks but we have just as many problems with our own competitions. It started over a hundred years ago so I'm not sure the "world series" is arrogant, now its just historic and origanally they would have been the best in the world as they were the only ones playing!

Also I believe the Canadians are involved too - North American but not yanks as such.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its just another nonsense really. Its easy to knock the yanks but we have just as many problems with our own competitions. It started over a hundred years ago so I'm not sure the "world series" is arrogant, now its just historic and origanally they would have been the best in the world as they were the only ones playing!

Also I believe the Canadians are involved too - North American but not yanks as such.

Fair comment mate, maybe they shouldnt call it the world series. Change the name and stever doesnt have a problem!!
;)

D

dieman

The game of "Baseball" in N America does indeed have an international flavour! .... The Toronto Blue Jays is a Major League Team playing in the American League and incidentally has won the "Fall Classic" World Series Competition twice back to back 1992/93 and yes it has had Canadians playing on the team.

The present teams franchise started in 1977 but the Baseball Team "The Blue Jays" originated in England during WW2 by Canadian Servicemen stationed there! ... so how much more World do you want?......... :D

Just could not resist this snippet! ..

"One milestone of baseball in the United Kingdom was the 1938 victory of Great Britain over the United States to win the inaugural World Cup of Baseball."

Last edited by a moderator:
M

markb

The game of "Baseball" in N America does indeed have an international flavour! .... The Toronto Blue Jays is a Major League Team playing in the American League and incidentally has won the "Fall Classic" World Series Competition twice back to back 1992/93 and yes it has had Canadians playing on the team.
Last time I checked my atlas, Canada was in N America. Has it been towed away?

D

dieman

Then you had better look a little beyond your Atlas and perhaps you will discover that Canada is a Sovereign Nation with it's very own Border! .. you know Customs and all that! ....... :p

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think I own a SF Giants cap which I bought [in SF] about 12 years ago but it's somewhere in England - I think the reason I bought it was because it was kind of 'old gold' [actually more orange] and black. Am I imagining this ?

Anyway I though it was New York Giants - unless I'm mixing up my sports I think I saw them in about 2000 - [are they the ones that play near the Bronx zoo ?] but I'm probably getting my American rounders' teams mixed up with some other sport.

On that subject is the 'Heartbreak Kid' Shawn Michaels still the WWF World Champion - or has he now slipped to Intercontinental Champion [whatever that meant] ? Or am I 20 years out of date ?

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry - I think it's the Yankees that play near the zoo. Go on the Old Gold Giants [did they win ?[ sportinglife.com don't cover pseudosports like these [like WWF wrestling and Australian AFL [Aussie Rules to you boys]]

I think it's time I got some sleep - goodnight !

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Then you had better look a little beyond your Atlas and perhaps you will discover that Canada is a Sovereign Nation with it's very own Border! .. you know Customs and all that! ....... :p

Ahem. Canada and the USA are both part of North America. It's the same as Brazil, Argentina and Chile being part of South America. So he was right !!

D

dieman

Ahem! .... North America is a Continent on which are two separate Sovereign Nations divided by an international Border! ... try crossing that border without a Passport and a Visa and see how far you get! .. the last time the Citizens of The USA tried to annex Canada they got their clock dusted! ............ :rolleyes:

I

itsonlyagame

I think you'll find that the "World Series" refers to the Series of the "Baseball World" which in essence is USA and (a bit of) Canada. Not arrogance just fact. Misleading though it may be.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ahem! .... North America is a Continent on which are two separate Sovereign Nations divided by an international Border! ... try crossing that border without a Passport and a Visa and see how far you get! .. the last time the Citizens of The USA tried to annex Canada they got their clock dusted! ............ :rolleyes:

Exactly. Canada is in N America like the man said.

D

dieman

So who's arguing? .... the inference was that "Baseball as played in "North America" does not have an international flavour! ... my posts were meant to illustrate that indeed it does have an international flavour! .. Aw! ... what the heck lets just "Play Ball" ....... :playingball:

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ah, I see now. Having re-read the posts (twice to be fair) I now understand what you're saying. That'll learn me to read proper.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back on topic,I was in San Fran last Wednesday and it was madness.I missed the main parade due to doing the touristy thing on Alcatraz,but when we got back the atmosphere was still great,akin to our 2003 play off parade.I was walking around the place in my Wolves shirt so mixed in well with their team colours.Felt priveleged to witness a great occasion

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back on topic,I was in San Fran last Wednesday and it was madness.I missed the main parade due to doing the touristy thing on Alcatraz,but when we got back the atmosphere was still great,akin to our 2003 play off parade.I was walking around the place in my Wolves shirt so mixed in well with their team colours.Felt priveleged to witness a great occasion

Nice one San Fran a great place Alcatraz good too. I must admit to a soft spot for the NY Metz but glad The Giants won

Back
Top Bottom