Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves V Nottm Forest – League Cup Final Wembley Stadium in London on 15 March 1980

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was at Uni in Birmingham. On the Friday night stayed at my mate Andy’s house in Darlaston. Went out on the town on the Friday and got to bed after about 10 pints of Banks’s and a Ruby Murray. The pubs were all full of Wolves fans talking about nothing but the game. Even the waiters in the Indian were wishing us luck.

After Andy’s mum had cooked us breakfast we got on the bus with two big plastic bottles of beer each. I had one of those silk scarves wrapped around my head that day for luck plus two other wool scarves and my replica Wolves Shirt on with the three leaping wolves on the front. I used to wear that thing almost all the time – they weren’t so easy to get in those days ..

I remember I wasn’t at all optimistic about the game given the fact Forest had won the trophy for the previous two years and were current European Champions. They were hot favourites. I remember how painful the bus journey down to Wembley was – too much beer – not enough ‘P’ stops. The plastic bottles came in handy after the beer was drunk. We got to Wembley and took our places in the terrace behind the goal, half way up and to the left of the goal as we watched.

To be honest I don’t remember much about the game …. The first half disappeared in what seemed like 5 minutes. Forest were all over us from what I can remember but we held out. Despite our status as underdogs Barnwell played a 4-3-3 with King John, Andy Gray and Mel Eves up front. I remember the atmosphere was super-charged at half time and we were very noisy. Things changed in the second half and I can still see Peter Daniel playing that speculative ball through from the right [left as I watched] and Needham and Shilton collided and lost the ball leaving a very simple tap in for Andy Gray. I just couldn’t believe it – we were winning in a Cup Final and I was there at Wembley seeing it …. The final twenty minutes were nailbiters and we did well to hold out. We had one chance near the end to go two up.

I’ll never forget Emlyn lifting the trophy and the players celebrating with the cup after the game. Bradshaw, Palmer, Parkin, Hughes, Berry, Hibbitt, Daniel, Carr plus the three forwards. It was at the time the League Cup was still considered an important tropy.

The coach journey back was quite an anticlimax to be honest. Everyone was tired and there was no beer. There was a bloke at the back endlessly repeating Two-seven-five and Two-eight-five: …. Wand-er-ers have won the Cup …. [Radio 1 jingle of the day]. We got back to Wolves just in time for a few more pints before closing time and another curry with the same waiters now celebrating with us. A magical day that I’ll never forget even though the details are a bit sketchy now.

Would love to hear other memories of the day …

Last edited by a moderator:

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was 12 and I went down with my season ticket holding uncle and his daughter. We went down on the train from Wolvo and I didn't really know what to expect. At this point in my Wolves supporting life I had never seen the team lose so I expected nothing else. Forest didn't worry me because I didn't really know much about them. We got there before the gates opened and I saw a bit of a running battle outside - just normal for those days. We had seats opposite the Royal Box and I remember the vast amount of steps I had to cvkimb to get the right level - very different the old Molineux St stand.

The game passed in a blur but I remember the goal and then Bradshaw sitting on the ball at some point. Emlyn lifting the trophy, the walk back to the crowded tube station and then getting on the train and some ****y Palace fans asking how we'd got on. I couldn't believe the world didn't know the score.

The following day I remember sitting in front of the fire with my scarf and flag watching Star Soccer with the rest of the family who didn't go. What a $$$$ing weekend for 12 yr old. I thought we'd cracked it that season especially when we finished sixth.

Oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RedFlagWolf

Ginger, I too was 12 years old and this day is absolutely etched in my memory...I can recall every event as if it was yesterday.

Weeks before the game, although 2 of us had tickets we were 1 ticket short (2 season ticket holders one each). Fortunately my uncle was a union representative at M&B breweries and negotiated a ticket to ensure regular beer delivery (maybe this is why I later became a full time union official).

We drove down and parked miles away before 12 noon and walked up Wembley Way. I insisted on a flag before the game to prove that I was there (still have it proudly displayed on pole...the ones from Sherpa Van and Play-Offs next to them ...even though the Play Off one stated we played at Moulinex!!).

Stood near the front to the right of where Andy Gray scored and after the game was hoisted up by a 16ft Notts Forest Fan so I could see Emlyn lift the trophy. After game I had Rump Steak Chips and mushrooms at a Berni Inn!!! Extra Brown Sauce.

To this day my dad and me talk regularly about the occasion and reminisce. It may be just me but its only football that gives me so many fantastic family memories with my old man, although the football game is always secondary...the train trip to Manchester, the pint at Highbury, the singing and dancing at Notts Forest...god I love football!!

B

Beowulf

The journey that ended with Wolves winning the League Cup began, for me, under the deep blue sky of the South of France and finished under the dull grey sky of North London. I was on holiday in the French Riviera and indulging in the usual beach activities beloved of any 10 year-old, when I picked up a two day old copy of my dad’s Daily Mail and noticed with great interest the score from back home; Burnley 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1. Along with the hardy 6,103 present at Turf Moor for that 2nd Round encounter, I could never have imagined the triumph that was to follow for Wolves.

My resultant recollections of that cold March day are a series of snapshots and brief vignettes that form into a loosely assembled picture. I suppose it’s expected when you consider my tender youth at that time and the blurring effect of a thirty year-old march of time. I recall, for instance, my completely contrasting emotions: joy at receiving a ticket for the final, an early present for a match that took place just a few days before my 11th birthday, and a later fear of the day itself - a fear that Wolves would lose.

March 15th 1980 began with a hasty, early morning photograph of my good self, nattily attired in a green parka coat and, of course, gold and black scarf and bobble hat. My dad and I then joined the convoy of coaches that left Faulkland Street Coach Station for the journey south. I have just a couple of abiding memories of the trip itself. Firstly, reading a couple of the tabloid newspapers with its pre-match coverage including, I seem to recall, a photo in one of the newspapers of half a dozen or so Wolves players (Norman Bell being one, I’m sure) pictured with a snarling Wolf! Finally, as our coach negotiated through the grey concrete plains of North London, I recall the traditional English hand gestures occasionally directed towards us from the earthy citizens of London. I was too young and naïve to respond but that certainly wasn’t the case when I made the same journey for the Sherpa Van Trophy Final several years later and was given the same welcome!

Safely ensconced in Row 27 Seat 258 of the North Terrace I awaited the arrival of the two teams. Although my previous apprehension at the thought of my gold and black heroes being defeated hadn’t abated, the sight and sound of the massed ranks of Wolves fans, their sea of gold and black flags and frequent chants of “Wanderers!†was warmly reassuring.

It’s possible to confuse my actual memories of the final with the full match coverage DVD that I’ve watched on several occasions. However, I’m able to separate the two as I distinctly recall moments of the match itself. I remember a second-half run down the Wolves left from John Richards, a very brief, unimportant passage of play that was captured for posterity by my cheap Instamatic camera. I recall a few nervy moments in the Wolves penalty area, King John’s disallowed goal and, more importantly, Andy Gray’s winner and the unadulterated elation that immediately followed. I remember too, just before the end of the game, the welcome sight of Paul Bradshaw leaping high above a mass of bodies to catch the ball. And I remember, above all else, the sweet taste of victory.

Re-watching the DVD recently reminded me of the magnificent defensive performance from Wolves, in particular from George Berry and Emlyn Hughes. John Barnwell and Richie Barker were justifiably keen to avoid an open game against the European Champions and so masterminded an ultra-defensive game plan. And through great commitment and discipline, it was executed to perfection by the entire Wolves team. Whilst watching the DVD of Emlyn raising the League Cup, a suitable reward for his team’s efforts that day, I found it grimly ironic that the commentator Brian Moore announced confidently that “Wolves are back in business!†Just a couple of years later from that League Cup Final glory, Wolves were very nearly out of business. But back then, on that March day, as we cheered our team on their lap of honour, we thought those days would never end.

M

MonkeySpanner

I was 22 and just started working for a wine bar company in London having just moved in with my girlfriend at the time.

Friends of my parents had got me a ticket which on arrival to Wembley was in the Wolves end but down in the seats, or benches as they were in those days. I think we were in the opposite end from the tunnel as we were for the Man City cup final which I also went to. I remember looking up behind me at the gathering Wolves fans higher up which was all standing and decided that that is where I wanted to be. I went back into the stand but found that there were gates to the stairs to take you into the standing area and people checking tickets. I showed my ticket to the steward and asked if I could go through and he just smiled and let me through. I got myself into the middle of the Wolves fans who were already in full voice.

I actually don't remember much of the game more of the atmosphere and of course that warm fuzzy feeling down my leg that turned out to be a Wolves fan that was so $$$$ed that he just whipped the old man out there and then and decided to have a lash! He hit a few of us but none of us really cared.

Wolves fans never stopped singing and I remember Andy Grey's:
Hark I hear the South Bank sing a new king born today
And he has come to Molineux
And his name is Andy Grey.
being pretty popular.

At the end of the game as the players and manager paraded round with the cup everyone was singing:
John Barnwell and Richie Barker over and over again.

The next day at work I was still buzzing and completely horse from singing and shouting. Brilliant!

tiggerkev

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Was living in Pompey at the time. My mum managed to get a ticket from her sister in Preston who had something to do with PNE. Travelled up from Pompey the morning of the cup. A few beers on the train.

The match as a whole was a blur, but when we scored me and the girl next to me hugged each other. Dont think her fella was a Wolves fan as he did'nt seem to impressed at the goal or me and his woman.

G

goldenballs

i was 23 remember gary newbon your a wa*ker sung by all the wolves fans as he had said we had no chance

R

reanswolf

As a young lad I was there, magnificent day. Lady luck was on our side no doubt though we defended magnificently. Really was a great achievement when you think how special that Forest side was.

Hark thou hear the South bank sing was a great song for Andy Gray, and could now be adopted for Kevin Doyle as it was for Bully.

Getting back the the game in question, our support was immense that day (as it was in 74 and 88), the sea of Wolves flags was a great sight and the caption of that was used for Tiswas song if I recall.

The League Cup was always a poorer relation of the FA Cup but that day (as was 74) was a hugely immense day for everyone connected at Wolves.

G

goldenballs

As a young lad I was there, magnificent day. Lady luck was on our side no doubt though we defended magnificently. Really was a great achievement when you think how special that Forest side was.

Hark thou hear the South bank sing was a great song for Andy Gray, and could now be adopted for Kevin Doyle as it was for Bully.

Getting back the the game in question, our support was immense that day (as it was in 74 and 88), the sea of Wolves flags was a great sight and the caption of that was used for Tiswas song if I recall.

The League Cup was always a poorer relation of the FA Cup but that day (as was 74) was a hugely immense day for everyone connected at Wolves.

cracking day but can remember thinking how did we win that

GeoffPalmersLeftBoot

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Those were the days my friend...

I was about 16 years old at the time and travelled with mates of a similar age from Willenhall on ‘Pathfinders’ coaches (I think that’s what they were called).
Had a small bottle of whiskey with me (though I hated the stuff!!).
Sang all the way to Wembley, bouncing up and down on the back seat of the coach, causing the rear end to bounce in tandem. Don’t think the driver was impressed, especially as we had an air horn with us which we blasted out all the time.

I remember looking at Wembley stadium and the twin tower (why they never saved them and placed them on Wembley walk, I will never know) and being a wee bit let down.
Inside, under the stands where the refreshment stalls were, was a total pig style. Water dripping from the roof and hardly any light down there. I was totally shocked and disappointed and was glad to get on the terraces.

Wolves fans did themselves proud that day. Singing and cheering the lads onto victory.

After the match, as we left on the coaches, I remember seeing one lone copper, standing at a vehicle exit. He was wearing a Old Gold and Black Wolves scarf, tied smartly around his neck. It was such a surreal moment, that we all just stared.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom