Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves v. Leeds Title Decider 1972

jackfieldwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I posted this a while back but I thought it might be worth another view in light of this thread

Recently I was working in Hampshire and whilst clearing an attic space I discovered a Daily Mirror newspaper dated Monday 18th September 1972. The sport pages are dominated by three stories.

The inside page under the banner headline 'Wolves tear United apart' reports on Wolves 2-0 Saturday victory over Man Utd. For the record Dougan and Richards scored the goals.

However, the back page makes the most intriguing reading. The main headline reads; Leeds: 'Find these Men'. The article describes how 'Leeds are to probe allegations of attempts to fix last seasons final match against Wolves that cost them the Championship'. It goes onto say that they would be investigating The Sunday People allegation that they had statements from Dave Wagstaffe and Frank Munro claiming they were offered bribes to "throw" the game. Two Leeds players 'famous internationals' were said to know that some Wolves men received £1000.00 bribe offers. The article then quotes the Leeds chairman Manny Cousins saying 'That it would be up to our manager Don Revie to find out who the two players are.

The other headline is entitled "I warned my players they would be out for life - McGarry" The story describes how rumours of an attempted fix were rife in Wolverhampton on the day of the match. Frank Munro, Phil Parkes, Mike Bailey and Dave Wagstaffe denied that they had been approached to throw the game.

For those supporters not familiar with the game behind the story. Leeds United beat Arsenal in the F.A. cup final on the Saturday before the following Monday title decider at Wolves. The title finale for 1972 was a four-horse race . Liverpool who could have taken the title with a good win, drew at Arsenal. Man City, Liverpool, and Leeds were locked on 57 points, whilst Derby sat precariously on top of the league on 58 points awaiting the Wolves v Leeds result. In fact Cloughie took his Derby team on holiday to sweat it out on Majorca. Meanwhile the media, and most neutral football fans believed that Leeds would achieve the double with the minimum requirement of a draw at Molineux. Besides, surely Wolves would be saving themselves for their crucial 2nd leg EUFA Cup final at Whit Hart Lane nine days later?

My memories of the match are three fold. Firstly the official attendance of 53,000 was clearly inaccurate as thousands of fans had forced their way into the South bank just after kick off. Having been present at a number of 50,000 plus games in the late sixties this game was clearly different. For a start I had never seen so many people watching the game from the floodlights, they sought vantage points right up to the highest level, no mean feat as Wolves Floodlights were considered to the highest in England. Secondly, the wing of the South bank on the Molineux street side was a swaying seething mass of bedlam. This part of Molinieux as most older fans will recall could look quite sparse even with a 38, 000 plus crowd in Molineux. Indeed I believe that scores of supporters were injured in that part of the ground when a number of crash barriers buckled under the strain.

Finally the match itself, played in a cauldron of deafening noise, quickly went Wolves way with Munro and Dougan putting Wolves 2-0 up, then if I remember correctly Dougan had what appeared to be a good second goal ruled out. Then the nail biting finale. Bremner pulled one back and it was backs to the South bank as Wolves survived a Leeds onslaught. With the benefit of hindsight, in that the referee was aware of the 'bribe controversy' I wonder what it would have taken for Leeds to 'win' a penalty. I can clearly remember Wolves full back Bernard Shaw swiping away the ball with his hand in the Wolves six-yard box in front of a stunned North Bank. There was footage of another 'hand ball' [can't remember the Wolves player] that came under severe media scrutiny in the weeks that followed. I am in no way suggesting that any of the Wolves players were 'got at' but there were plenty of allegations in the world of football over the following months.

Finally, I vaguely remember a TV. Expose on World in Action or Panorama that heavily implicated Don Revie in the approaches allegedly made to Wolves players before the game.

This particular game is undoubtably one of the greatest memories of a life supporting Wolves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have very similar memories of this game. I stood on the N Bank, though 'stood' is hardly the right word, as my feet were off the ground for a large part of the game in a mass of swaying humanity. Dougan's goal was in the 2nd half at the N Bank end. I saw JR split the Leeds defence with a fantastic through ball, and the Doog run onto it. He shot low but at that point I couldn't see what happened, as the crowd came cascading down and virtually buried me. But the roar told me what I needed to know! I think the game was televised live on ITV -- unusual back then -- such was the level of national interest. I'd guess the real attendance at around 60,000.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder what it would have taken for Leeds to 'win' a penalty. I can clearly remember Wolves full back Bernard Shaw swiping away the ball with his hand in the Wolves six-yard box in front of a stunned North Bank. There was footage of another 'hand ball' [can't remember the Wolves player] that came under severe media scrutiny in the weeks that followed.

It was Shaw both times.

I think the game was televised live on ITV -- unusual back then -- such was the level of national interest.

No league games ever appeared live on TV until the early 1980s.

Few match facts:

Wolves were Parkes, Shaw, Taylor, Hegan, Munro, McAlle, McCalliog, Hibbitt, Richards, Dougan, Wagstaffe
Leeds were Harvey, Reaney, Madeley, Bremner, Charlton, Hunter, Lorimer, Clarke (went off injured for Yorath), Bates, Giles, Gray

Goals: Munro 41, Dougan 65, Bremner 67

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was Shaw both times.

No league games ever appeared live on TV until the early 1980s.

Few match facts:

Wolves were Parkes, Shaw, Taylor, Hegan, Munro, McAlle, McCalliog, Hibbitt, Richards, Dougan, Wagstaffe
Leeds were Harvey, Reaney, Madeley, Bremner, Charlton, Hunter, Lorimer, Clarke (went off injured for Yorath), Bates, Giles, Gray

Think you are wrong there, pal. The second half at least was live on ITV, commentator Brian Moore.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was in the South Bank for that game and got pressed against a crush barrier for what seemed forever, unable to breathe, (probably only 15 seconds) when the pressure relieved I ducked under the barrier into a space in front.
Unofficial reports were an attendance of 60,000+, the official capacity those days was 53,500

M

MK Panther

I was fortunate enough to attend the Arsenal v Leeds Centenary Cup Final I sat rivetted through my first Wembley final and remember Bremner and Ball chasing and kicking each other across the wembley pitch. Super Leeds were simply awesome and I feared for Wolves for the game the following Monday night at Molineux.

At Molineux Leeds were definitely jaded and Wolves destroyed them that night some scary moment but we were up to them in all departments and games like that has spoilt my enjoyment of what I am being served up today but never mind one day it may come back...Super Wolves!!

jackfieldwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It was Shaw both times.

No league games ever appeared live on TV untilea the rly 1980s.

Few match facts:

I think you are right in regards to SKy BSB era, but I've a strong feeling that some games were shown with a 'time delay' during the 60's and 70's For example wasn't some of the 'Floodlit friendlies' shown live. I seem to remember reading that the Wolves v Honved game was shown 'live' due to 'national interest?

One game in particualar I remember is the Spurs v Wolves away leg League Cup semi 1973. I don't know if the whole game was shown but I'm fairly convinced the extra time was screened 'live' after the division results had been given out on either ITV or the Beeb.

I may be wrong, but I have a vivid image of my Dad sat in his armchair groaning at the final whistle, 'Should have been bloody played at a neutral venue'

B

Brinsley

What great memories come flooding back.
I was a programme seller then, and even though we got free admittance, it was a struggle to get a place - ended up on the South Bank with a terrible view- but the night was unforgettable. Remember the noise? And all those Derby supporters in the seats on the Molineux Street side? They were all committed Wolves fans that the night. Oh for a time machine.......

W

Wolfgang Wolf

I climbed the wall at the bottom of Molineux Alley, with scores of others, to get in.
Something I remember well was Bobby Charlton on TV after the Cup Final saying that there was no way Wolves would stop Leeds winning the Double. The Wolves players said after beating Leeds how much that needled them.

thehistorymakers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I crept under the north bank turnstile with my dad.silk scalves and all.So mant people got in with out paying it was unreal.

I

It's Mixu Paatelainen

The Damned United by David Peace said:
"Just think about it," I tell him. "All those bloody times Leeds 'just' missed out on a league title or 'just' lost a cup final, you know why? I'll tell you why, shall I? Because every team they met, in every bloody match they ever played, they hated Leeds, they despised them. That Monday night at Molineux, that night in front of fifty-odd-thousand of their own supporters, there was no way Wolves were going to go easy on Leeds, no way they were going to throw the match; no way because they hated Leeds United, they despised Leeds United. Their keeper Parkes, players like Munro and Dougan, these players had the game of their lives and I'll tell you why, shall I? Because there's not a team in the country, not a team in Europe, who does not want to beat Don Revie and Leeds United. Not one. That's all they dream about, playing Don Revie and Leeds United and beating Don Revie and Leeds United. That's all I dream about, playing Don Revie and Leeds United, beating Don Revie and Leeds United -
You'd be the bloody same, Mehmet, if you were me."
Mehmet the waiter looks confused. Mehmet the waiter shakes his head and says, "But you're the manager of Leeds United now, aren't you, Mr Clough?"

K

KiwiWolf

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArJjYAqxiHc"]Wolves v Leeds United, 8th May 1972 - YouTube[/nomedia]

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was only talking in The Stile on Tuesday about this game with Dewsbury. About how I got on the coach with all the Leeds team and the FA Cup on Tettenhall Green, it was the Sunday before the game and the day after they had beaten Arsenal.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of my favourite Molineux memories. A great night and I have never seen Molineux so full. Wolves v Leeds was a big game back then, and it was nice to beat them and hand the title to Derby County. And big Frank scored. !!

Rusty Staples

Groupie
Reaction score
Took my then girlfriend to that game -- her first ever game of professional football. What a baptism of fire!
I was at thistgame travtravel from my home in Liverpool one of first in ground opopeningates at around 5pm.❤️

Back
Top Bottom