Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves v Crusaders verdict.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
No away goal conceded - tick, decent enough lead that should see us through - tick, no injuries - tick. Our struggles to break down stubborn defences is likely to continue unless we bring in a couple of players to specifically address this. I'm hugely optimistic for the season ahead but have a little niggling concern that this could be an issue if we don't take as many points off the top teams.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No away goal conceded - tick, decent enough lead that should see us through - tick, no injuries - tick. Our struggles to break down stubborn defences is likely to continue unless we bring in a couple of players to specifically address this. I'm hugely optimistic for the season ahead but have a little niggling concern that this could be an issue if we don't take as many points off the top teams.

Neves got injured so no tick

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a forum, get used to it or get over it.
Many thanks for that SA W, much appreciated and I'll definitely take note.
I'm well aware that it's an open Forum and recognised that in my post, hence my comments to that effect.

Wolves ONLY Wolves!

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bring in a quality No.10/attacking midfielder plus an alternative striker and most of the complaints above would disappear. But it seems we are looking for defensive midfielders which I just do not understand.

cookey

In Memory
Reaction score
Lets face it - the match was in effect our 3rd first team friendly & we've won them all :) but have to say how impressed with Crusaders I was, made it much harder for us than Newcastle did in China & their Goalie was excellent, positioned himself really well for almost every shot, when I think Liverpool took Lonigan on tour, they would have been better off with him! - OK they came to park the bus a bit but also tried some breaks, a bit like us against Man City really - now lets go on & win the Cup

Last edited:

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haven’t read a single thing above but it was absolutely ****e. Completely lacking in any sort of flare or creativity apart from hope Adama can run past 2 players. He lacks any sort of ability to whip in or place a ball to someone yet he’s our only hope.

Nuno gets a 2/10 because that was a joke, same old same old. Take a defender off & change it up, what the **** did the midfield 3 do? If your playing Traore get the Donk on the left instead of Moutinho so he can charge into the box & get onto a cross you ****ing idiot.

Should have left Neves & Mout in the middle with Dendoncker breaking forward. Instead nothing but a defensive load of ****e.
I think by now we know what kind of manager Nuno is and it is two sides to the coin. What has made him successful is also about his weaknesses. He will basically stick to a plan rigidly and make it work. He is not the kind of manager who looks at the opposition and wildly changes his whole formation match by match to beat the opposition. Under his system we are improving as a team all the time but some matches will leave us in awe and others frustrated.

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our formation doesnt suit this style of play. Why have three defenders if there attacking threat is sat on our six yard box. Boly and Bennett pushed up towards the end but I would ask for more
Adama had a good game, the rest were just going through a pre season so I take the performance with a pinch of salt. No way Leicester play like this
Morgan Gibbs Wide as I have now nicknamed him was pretty poor everyone else solid 6/10
We won thats the main thing and if Neves is ok everyone got minutes

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is knockout football, it's not a league game. We are playing like we did because if you want to progress to the groups we need to.

Step 1 for success in Europe.
Do. Not. Concede. An. Away. Goal.

Another similar performance in Belfast will see us through. Very happy, to me, showed great intent to take the competition seriously, if you wanted us to go out and smash them by playing some ridiculous formation then give your heads a wobble, this is knockout football and the margins count.

It's why we have seen in the CL the likes of Barcelona **** 4-0 leads twice, not playing tactically but playing gung-ho because of some farfetched notion that they must attack. Nuno got it correct.
Yeah, but we weren't playing a team in the Champions League. The opposition was about Conference level. We didn't need to go gung-ho to beat that lot by 4 or 5, just use the players we already have in an appropriate, more attacking formation.

M

Mr Wolf

Bring in a quality No.10/attacking midfielder plus an alternative striker and most of the complaints above would disappear. But it seems we are looking for defensive midfielders which I just do not understand.
The teams around us who we want to finish ahead of again have players like Sigguardson, Gomes, Maddison, Tielemans who can make a difference in the final 3rd. We’ve got 2 weeks left to address that.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Haven’t read a single thing above but it was absolutely ****e. Completely lacking in any sort of flare or creativity apart from hope Adama can run past 2 players. He lacks any sort of ability to whip in or place a ball to someone yet he’s our only hope.

Nuno gets a 2/10 because that was a joke, same old same old. Take a defender off & change it up, what the **** did the midfield 3 do? If your playing Traore get the Donk on the left instead of Moutinho so he can charge into the box & get onto a cross you ****ing idiot.

Should have left Neves & Mout in the middle with Dendoncker breaking forward. Instead nothing but a defensive load of ****e.
Nuno (in pretty much every press conference in the last 2 years): We don't change how we play, we have our system, our way to play.

Mr Wolf: Change things around Nuno you ****ing idiot.

I think there is a ****ing idiot here, but it's not Nuno...

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, but we weren't playing a team in the Champions League. The opposition was about Conference level. We didn't need to go gung-ho to beat that lot by 4 or 5, just use the players we already have in an appropriate, more attacking formation.
Yeah and then when we turn up against a top opposition we just flick the switch and turn it on?

Old saying, practice makes perfect. Chances are we get to the groups and then we are up against CL level opposition, I'd like us to prepared for that and frankly it was our finishing that was an issue, not the way we played.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The teams around us who we want to finish ahead of again have players like Sigguardson, Gomes, Maddison, Tielemans who can make a difference in the final 3rd. We’ve got 2 weeks left to address that.
See, this I agree with. But, can only assume we are getting them in.

SallyWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Nuno (in pretty much every press conference in the last 2 years): We don't change how we play, we have our system, our way to play.

Don't think you need to be abusive, ...

Anyway i agree with Mr Wolf, you can't set up against a non league team at home like you do if playing Barcelona away.

Need to mix it up, and thats been proven last season with his inability to be a "tactical genius" against the poor teams ie Shrewsbury, Bristol, Huddersfield, Cardiff away etc

Last edited by a moderator:

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really don't want to be critical because in most ways it was job done. However, can't we change it up just a bit? When you're playing against two banks of five, surely you play with more than just one person in the penalty box?

This happens too often and Nuno needs to seriously think about this. If you put two or three men in the box aganist tactics like this, surely the odds are the ball will fall to one of them at least some of the time? The tactic of having just one in the centre is a modern day one and it relies on pace and movement, neither of which we had tonight if we take Traore out of the equation.

And, Traore was the only attacking threat we had for most of the game IMO... but he has very very few options open to him once he's beat his full back. We should have one attacker going near post, one in the middle and one at the far post.. and in a perfect world one on the penalty spot and two others either side either just inside or on the edge of the box. When we play Prem. opposition I get we are worried about the transition and being opened up but surely when you are playing against two banks of five, you have to take something of a gamble and say, "let's score goals?"

Not going to say I was disappointed in the result but the end product tonight matched a lot of the games where we failed to break down teams last season. It's worrying because a lot of teams outside the top six will know exactly how to come to Mol and play based on this. Time for something different in these circumstances Nuno.
I hope that some others may see the other side of what they see as a weakness in Traore. Yes he may not be the best passer of a ball but that works two ways in the the attacking players have to make themselves available. Thanks for pointing this out as I have net seen other posters acknowledge this.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Nonsense. Nuno does change the way he plays. After our 'dip' last autumn when we went 5 or 6 without a win and looked ****e, he went to a three-man midfield (which lots on here were calling for) and turned our form round. I don't get your blind faith: he's a good manager but he doesn't have all the answers all the time, and he would be the first to recognise that.

D

Deleted member 5910

You have to temper your disappointment by accepting it was a pre-season game for us with the typical slow tempo and wont to protect oneself from injury, while the Crusaders players were fighting hard in the biggest game of their lives. Still, this is a team of butchers and accountants and postmen, who presumably can only train a couple of times a week in the evenings. There were Crues players on that pitch with bigger paunches than me! We should absolutely be murdering this lot, in terms of movement alone. But our approach in this kind of game is always so ponderous that you feel opposition defences could play another 90 minutes against us. Apart from Traore (who ran the poor left back ragged), we never really move players around. That's the problem that Nuno is yet to crack: how do we make this defensive block tire and get sloppy?

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Contrary to my mates I thought penetration wasn't the problem last night but finishing. We spurned a fair few good chances and with better finishing we'd have had 6.

All credit to Vinagre for anticipating and seizing a scoring opportunity. We cannot expect goals on a plate they need to be worked for. The Jota goal was quality build-up and finish.

Looking forward to the second leg. Could be a very different game in our favour!

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Nonsense. Nuno does change the way he plays. After our 'dip' last autumn when we went 5 or 6 without a win and looked ****e, he went to a three-man midfield (which lots on here were calling for) and turned our form round. I don't get your blind faith: he's a good manager but he doesn't have all the answers all the time, and he would be the first to recognise that.
We won the game. And if I was gonna have blind faith in ANY manager we've had in recent years, it would be Nuno. I don't think there was a lot wrong with how we played tbf, better, sharper finishing and we could easily have had 4 or 5 goals (missing 3 free headers inside the six yard box doesn't help either). Certainly not worthy of calling Nuno a ****ing idiot.

S

Salopian

Nuno out then?

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cow's Aye We?

On another point: the training tops, No not good at all. No need to make the players feel like fat ruminator's just before the game.

The Wolf Of Wombourne

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
All credit to Vinagre for anticipating and seizing a scoring opportunity. We cannot expect goals on a plate they need to be worked for. The Jota goal was quality build-up and finish.

Looking forward to the second leg. Could be a very different game in our favour!

Jota had a couple of decent chances he should have scored with, MGW had 1 clear cut chance. Few headers as well, could have been a very different scoreline but as you say credit to Vinagre, thought he tried to do a little too much to impress with the tricks but exciting none the less.

As you say will be a very different game next week, not the complete performance tonight but this is preseason and those criticising Nuno harshly have fairly short memories I think ...

S

ShropshireLad

Not a fan of Nuno, then?

lyechris

Groupie
Reaction score
I was privileged to some great seats right behind Nuno last night and he wasnt happy! When a team parks the bus and crusaders to their credit did that you can't counter, you can't stretch the game. We saw last season we don't adapt quick enough to teams who sit in.
It's not about new players, it's about players learning. Movement is key, Jota did it in phases, mgw got himself lost in fairness it's just game time for him. If I'm honest it's that midfield three, one word shots! They all strike great balls, take responsibility. Too many times we over played it. If you shoot teams will get drawn out to prevent those shots and your gaps will come! You could see Nuno willing the strike.

M

Mr Wolf

Well he has changed it hasn’t he when it wasn’t working. Gone from having 3 up top with wide players to 3 narrow midfielders with 2 up top so we can press more & hit teams on the break.

He needs to do something similar again against teams that sit back who will be much more drilled & better prepared than a semi pro Irish team.

M

Mr Wolf

Not a fan of Nuno, then?
Not of fan of the same old thing when we know we’ll struggle. Could have at least left a CM in the hole instead of chasing back & played Vinagre who although erratic can at least go past a player.

He brought bloody Saiss on when we needed a goal which says it all about the squad currently.

portugamerifinn

Groupie
Reaction score
Not surprised it was so difficult for Wolves to find the net considering the way Crusaders lined up and Wolves' penchant for struggling against just that type of defense. No counter opportunities is a great way to give Wolves a hard time.

It's also worth noting that Wolves flew seven time zones away for the Asia Trophy, was in Shanghai for a week, and played its second and last match there just last Saturday night. Then it flew seven time zones back and had three days of training before the match. That type of travel is destined to be followed by some sluggishness.

Crusaders quite literally had a seven-man back line when Wolves was in possession, so it's not shocking to see a 2-0 scoreline. I've seen the same when Portugal plays a qualifier against Andorra, and that's with Ronaldo and Bernardo Silva leading the lineup. Credit to Crusaders for its effectiveness, though.

Kevin Dandy

Reaction score
2 0 . No away goal conceded. It was a preseason game in all but name. Nuno will learn from it and team will improve. It was Crusaders biggest game and they came to frustrate us and fair play to them. All that matters is we get through and get match fit. Job done.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
not much to add to all the summaries so far, just to say that effectiely this was just our 3rd pre season game so not entirely surprising we're not quite at our sharpest yet,
Main thing we won 2 goals for and none conceeded, at 1-0 still apotential banana skin in the second leg, with a 2-0 lead it should be more than enough. They can't park the bus for the 90 nmins in the second leg

S

Salopian

Not of fan of the same old thing when we know we’ll struggle. Could have at least left a CM in the hole instead of chasing back & played Vinagre who although erratic can at least go past a player.

He brought bloody Saiss on when we needed a goal which says it all about the squad currently.

Sephiroth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A frustrating evening but it was just great to be back in Europe.

Rui - 6 - had sod all to do

Coady - 6 - also had pretty much sod all to do
Boly - 8 - simply did what big Willy does
Bennett - 7 - decent showing

Jonny - 6.5 - Up and down, getting involved but not doing too much at the same time.

Adama - 8 - the main danger, lots of good work but still lacking that end product consistently.

Neves - 6 - did alright, nothing spectacular
Moutinho - 7 - lots of endeavour but just lacking a little bit of sharpness
Dendoncker - 6 - same as Neves really.

Gibbs-White - 4 - didnt do his Premier League cause much good at all.

Jota - 7 - lovely finish and lots of endeavour.

Subs:
Raul - 6 - didnt really do much to be honest
Vinagre - 6 - wasnt going to get a 6 but popped up in the right place at the end.
Saiss - N/A

Benny78

Reaction score
Nuno called it a special night.. clearly he hasn’t read this thread.

Back
Top Bottom