Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves v Blackpool. EFL (Carabao) Cup. Rd. 2. comms thread.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let’s be fair, this is the sort of fixture we have struggled to impose ourselves on in the recent past, so to score 5 is fantastic. Hope it gives the whole squad confidence for Sunday.
Like Gillingham? We huffed and we puffed but it was pretty dire.
5 goals, most of them scruffy, is still nothing to be sneezed at.

ManSolo

Reaction score
I am all for it if we can sign another centre back capable of playing that way.

Still remember that Southampton match away, trailing 2-0 at the break. Nuno had to do something, went from 343 in the first half to 3412 in the second with Neto behind Traore and Raul - won 3-2.

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On Matt Doherty starting in the back three tonight, how did he play in the position, indeed how did Jonny perform in the position in the second half. Is it a case of Matt being competent in the position but more valuable as a wing back? Yes I know, it was Blackpool but I seem to recall Nuno experimenting with him in the back three also.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I couldn't watch the game, but followed the scoring on the BBC Sport site. One of the most-pleasing things apart from scoring 5 and winning comfortably was the first 8 attempts were all on target. We finished with 9 attempts on target from 13, so quite a high degree of putting the Blackpool defence under pressure.
Yes, it was only a L1 side, but these are the matches we generally lose when confidence is low. Confidence will be high after that, especially for Sasa and Silva.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's nice to actually demolish a lower-league team for a change. Usually, it's a hard-fought win or even a poor defeat. Goals and wins breed confidence. Kalajdzic and Silva will get a boost, and hopefully the first of many for young Fraser. There's something about him that is different from other academy strikers we've had over the years. I think he's going to be a good one.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's nice to actually demolish a lower-league team for a change. Usually, it's a hard-fought win or even a poor defeat. Goals and wins breed confidence. Kalajdzic and Silva will get a boost, and hopefully the first of many for young Fraser. There's something about him that is different from other academy strikers we've had over the years. I think he's going to be a good one.
This! Under previous managers we would have struggled, the game finish a draw and we win on penalties etc. yet under GON it’s a comfortable win where we put a team to the sword. Appreciate its Round Two of the League Cup against Blackpool, but, as you say, wins breed confidence, especially 5-0. Sasa and Fabio get a goal each to help their confidence too. Pleasing result.

Last edited:

Wolf616

Groupie
Reaction score
This might sound ridiculous considering the score line, but watching extended highlights just now has left me even more worried for Wolves' prospects this season. No real strategy to our play, a very, very poor opponent and at least 4 very scruffy goals... Against a premier league team playing like that we would have been utterly annihilated.

Regardless, good to get some confidence in the side and always nice to score a few even against a bad opponent. But if this is the best GON has to offer, I am really worried.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This might sound ridiculous considering the score line, but watching extended highlights just now has left me even more worried for Wolves' prospects this season. No real strategy to our play, a very, very poor opponent and at least 4 very scruffy goals... Against a premier league team playing like that we would have been utterly annihilated.

Regardless, good to get some confidence in the side and always nice to score a few even against a bad opponent. But if this is the best GON has to offer, I am really worried.
I agree, that's ridiculous!

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
But if this is the best GON has to offer, I am really worried.
I don't think it's being too charitable to suggest the manager was experimenting in a cup tie, and that based on the result and the performance, at the very least he didn't get it terribly wrong there.

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score

*sigh.

Wolf616

Groupie
Reaction score
Well, we'll see I guess. I hope I am wrong. I really, really hope I am wrong. But if that was a sign of the style of play to come, we are in trouble.

Wswolf

Reaction score
Im liking everything im seeing from gary. These type of fixtures are usually dull nil nil straight to penalties.

We put them to the sword scored 5 with a cleansheet and squad players got a run out.

It could be worse we could be leeds or spurs and be out of the tournament

Brian Law’s buses

Reaction score
Lot of thinking to do after that performance for GON
Good performance I know the opposition was third tier and quite poor but…….
Do we now go to a back 5, playing Doherty as the wing back
Do we start Sasa and put Fabio on the bench
Two big things for GON to consider now
Great to see Jonny start although I would have preferred Jonny and Doherty to swap places from the start, when did swap Doherty made such a big difference with his clever runs both inside and out
Gutted for Hodge to go down with a hamstring thought he did very well and had a really good game as did Sarabia
Not convinced with Traore his second touch tends be a tackle and a little dissapointed with Fabio everyone had good games IMO
I agree, I though Hodge was superb last night, always wanted the ball, made some intelligent runs. I went looking forward to seeing how a Traore would get on, but I think he was trying to hard, a few missed placed passes and poor choices in dangerous areas.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lot of thinking to do after that performance for GON
Good performance I know the opposition was third tier and quite poor but…….
Do we now go to a back 5, playing Doherty as the wing back
Do we start Sasa and put Fabio on the bench
Two big things for GON to consider now
Great to see Jonny start although I would have preferred Jonny and Doherty to swap places from the start, when did swap Doherty made such a big difference with his clever runs both inside and out
Gutted for Hodge to go down with a hamstring thought he did very well and had a really good game as did Sarabia
Not convinced with Traore his second touch tends be a tackle and a little dissapointed with Fabio everyone had good games IMO
I would definitely start Fabio, he needs time and confidence, particularly after the rough start he had when he arrived.

bigbluewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It does sound ridiculous.

And do goals only count if they are beautiful?

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I won't shoot you down for your thoughts.

Wolves did last night what they've always struggled to do against a lowly and plucky opposition in a cup game, and that's to put the tie to bed in relatively short time.
Coupled with the fact that there were wholesale changes, I wasn't disappointed with what I saw but know the gulf between League 1 and the PL is massive (Not sure we needed to sing "you're ****ing ****" to a lower league opposition but hey ho, whatever).

A positive for me was that the likes of Bentley, Griffiths, Pond, Fraser and co had the opportunity to play whilst Dawson, Lemina, Gomes, Neto and Cunha etc could rest up for Selhurst Park on Sunday.

Very early days to say how things will go but I'll take a win anytime of the day, and at the moment we're on a two game roll with none conceded. Happy days, almost...........

Back
Top Bottom