Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves v Arsenal verdict thread.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Is a great achievement we didn’t see anyone sent off…..

Felt like he was itching to….
We did some nasties though, kilman in the first half and hwang before he went off. There was a lot of fake fouls, the ref probably couldn't work out what was a real foul or not. A lot of Arsenal players lying in a heap whenever we got the ball back, made my blood boil. Something arteta learned off guardiolla I suspect.

Sirstancullis

Reaction score
Thought Doyle was great in our half. However when he crossed the half way line he continued to slow things down when we had players making runs and his final ball and crosses were awful. I'm one of his biggest fans and think he's a great player, but thought he was poor at times last night.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chirewa looked quite good yesterday considering the massive step up for him. He obviously needs a fair bit of beefing up as he's lightweight and won't stand up to the rigours of the game if he stays as he is. He's already in front of Fraser.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought swapping Kilman and Bueno round worked really well last night and we looked better as a back 3 with Kilman in the centre of the defence.

They’ve been that way round for a few games now. I agree it works better. Makes it more natural when morphs into a back 4.

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Knives out for Doc again I see. Just lost to one of the best sides in Europe with a depleted side, conceded a miskick and.a late late second but defensively Doc was terrible apparently. Doesn't say a lot for their attackers then does it?
Having watched the game I didn't think he was as bad as many are saying. He deserves criticism for the first goal but to my eyes a solid performance, a 6 from me.

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
They’ve been that way round for a few games now. I agree it works better. Makes it more natural when morphs into a back 4.
I had noticed but think it was much more evident yesterday. Suits them much better allows Bueno to come out with the ball more and Kilman to use his passing.

djmikeydickens

Reaction score
Doherty is just too slow in every thing he does now to have any positive impact on the game. No pace and ponders on the ball too long. Ok for the bench for emergencies in the squad but we can't have him playing too much next season.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Players out:

Cunha
Neto
Bellegarde
Semedo
Dawson

Players able to play 45 or less

Hwang
Sarabia
Ran
Lemina

First team players able to complete 90 mins

Sa
Toti
Kilman
Gomes

Given that choice, merci a Fosun, it was an extraordinarily good performance against a brilliant side. Oneil set them up tactically very
well, with great fluidity between defending deep, and making the most of counter attacks.

If Gomes' goes in off the post and Gollum's stays out of the post, then we maybe win, maybe draw that game.

Really heartened by the game, and a special mention to a fantastic crowd backing too. Very loud on TV.

Of the players who came in to cover, only Santi, Doyle and Traore really made the grade, and can be considered proper backup
for a team of Wolves' standing. The others, Chirewa, Doherty and Bueno, all weaken the team considerably, although they are all
whole-hearted triers. Chirewa showed the most promise, but looks positionally very raw.

A game like this shows up where the club needs to act:

two attackers
a centre back
and two full backs, (one first pick on the left to give RAN chance to develop as an attacking player, which seems to be where his future lies). Bueno, Fraser and Chirewa all need at least half a season on loan to see if they have a chance of making it.

With these additions, and holding on to what we have got, and for me it is a top 6 team.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Knives out for Doc again I see. Just lost to one of the best sides in Europe with a depleted side, conceded a miskick and.a late late second but defensively Doc was terrible apparently. Doesn't say a lot for their attackers then does it?

With our current issues up top, why are we not playing up there?

He has good movement in final third and can finish.

With so few games left it is defo worth a go…..

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He also made some good forward runs and got in to decent positions but wasnt picked out.
I think this is my one frustration from yesterday - the gameplan of staying in the game and utilising the only fresh legs we'd got late on was actually a decent shout but there were a number of times when players made runs (Doc most notably) and pointed for the ball when we turned back and took the safe option. I get that we were keeping it tight and hoping for that one chance but I think we were a tiny bit too timid at times.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought we played well. The effort was 120% think we played better first half

The goal probably took it out of us. Apart from Joao Gomes hitting the post did we really ever look threatening?? If we got to half time 0-0 we could of maybe made more of game of it. Easy to say now

Thought Chirewa played well. For his debut. Maybe could of took a lot more risks. For me Boubacar Traore was very impressive. He did very well. Same for Joao Gomes

Hwang & RAN looked nowhere near fit.

Proud of the lads and fans we put up a decent-ish fight. Many wrote us off to lose 0-6 when seeing the line up calling for Fosun out. The application from the lads was terrific, another day we may of snatched a draw. I feel we do need more physical players like Toti though. Especially upfront an outlet

wolfinexile

Reaction score
Not a chance Cunha plays on Wednesday!

I mean, Max on Havertz is as blatant a red card as you’re likely to see, no idea how he got away with it!

But yes, the little niggly ones were infuriating, and I can remember two occasions where Arsenal players pretended they’d been kicked in the face.
I don't know why Max is being castigated for this foul. He goes to play the ball but Arsenal player comes up on blind side and is too quick. Max catches him without any intent.

wolfinexile

Reaction score
Having watched the game I didn't think he was as bad as many are saying. He deserves criticism for the first goal but to my eyes a solid performance, a 6 from me.
Doherty was even worse than usual. Gave the ball away three times early in game with terrible passes and was generally poor afterwards apart from popping up in dangerous forward positions a couple of times.

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought Traore's performance showed why GON could have safely rotated him in midfield all season instead of exhausting Lemina and Gomes.

Thought Boubacar Traore was very good last night. Would like to see him get a bit of a run for the last few games ahead of next season.

He was excellent last night. Agree he needs a run of games now.

GON really needs to work on Bouba in the Summer. There is a hell of a player in there somewhere.
I have to say I agree with everything posted here, I can't understand why GON has so far failed to improve Bouba, he has a motor, has a good shot on him, and to my mind is another Gomes type player, The only reason that I can think of is that Bouba does not have the discipline to play in a fixed role, he certainly covers acres of ground whenever he plays, I think this game has proven that he has the ability for the Premiership alongside Gomes and Lemina or instead of either, I can see him being the replacement for Gomes when he is sold on, I was disappointed with Hugo Bueno he seems to have taken a massive step backwards attacking wise, but still better than Doc on the left.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know why Max is being castigated for this foul. He goes to play the ball but Arsenal player comes up on blind side and is too quick. Max catches him without any intent.
Intent isn’t a part of the rules, he dives in recklessly and could easily have broken his leg.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only reason that I can think of is that Bouba does not have the discipline to play in a fixed role, he certainly covers acres of ground whenever he plays,
I was disappointed with Hugo Bueno he seems to have taken a massive step backwards attacking wise, but still better than Doc on the left.
He doesn't have the full skill-set yet, but Boubacar could be our pound -shop Vieira.
Hugo seems to have caught a bad case of Vinagre-itis - gets into forward positions only to resort to continuous step-overs.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Intent isn’t a part of the rules, he dives in recklessly and could easily have broken his leg.

I thought it was really bad at the ground and was expecting a red from VAR, but on the highlights it was lower than I thought, so I think yellow was fair.

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
Loaded up twitter and did my usual hashtag search in the morning to see if any wolves news. Greeted with an Arsenal fan still giving it the big one. Said Arsenal fan, is from Mexico and only started supporting Arsenal in 2015 after trying out Liverpool, Spurs, Newcastle, Chelsea and found Arsenal on Fifa 2015

Sums the Arsenal fan base up and he was having the cheek to kick off about us as a club and our history haha

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
With our current issues up top, why are we not playing up there?

He has good movement in final third and can finish.

With so few games left it is defo worth a go…..
He can’t run, so can’t press, has no pace over a distance, and no dribbling skills to get him somewhere.

We can stick him at the far post and aim crosses at him, but that’s about it.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Far too many are accepting this poor run of results, I don't get it.

It comes back to the January window/Fosun.

The reason for the poor run of results is obvious - the injuries. I would argue we have a relegation side right now, so it's not really a surprise that we're on a poor run. So, that's why people accept it.

But, too many people don't want to criticise the board, or don't like others criticising them, so it's played down.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He can’t run, so can’t press, has no pace over a distance, and no dribbling skills to get him somewhere.

We can stick him at the far post and aim crosses at him, but that’s about it.

He can run….. he made some very good forward runs into space that weren’t given. Instead the player looked sideways or backwards.

Who needs pace over the distance in every forward role? It shows the limitations in how our main threat is to pass to a fast lad and sprint from deep m most of the time and has been for a fair while if you look at most of netos goals this season.

Why can’t we just have a player who is useful inside the last 20/25m of the pitch? Leave him up top and have a link player who when we lump it long or when our players get to the by-line there is an option in the box who can win a header. But he can also finish.

We do need a couple of plan b type players for late stages of a game

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Far too many are accepting this poor run of results, I don't get it.
It's understandable considering the injuries we've had, our starting XI has often been more akin to that of a Championship side as of late.

Got to hope we can beat Luton because I'm struggling to see where the wins are going to come from the rest of the way.

Back
Top Bottom