Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves style under Jackett

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Much criticism has been made of the Wolves game this season. I only manage to attend a small number of games and the one I got to two seasons ago was the away game against Brentford. My recollection of that game was one in which we defended in depth in the first half, were fortunate to grab a lead goal just before half time and then caught them on the break twice in the second half while continuing to defend deeply for much of that half.
Similarly the games I saw last year were of a team that defended for large portions of games and then caught the opposition with quick breaks. This represents to me the Jackett style and I am surprised at the level of criticism of it now. True the defence seems a lot more suspect this season - which as many have said begs the question why Steerman was sold and the team does not appear to be able to break with the speed that they could last season, hence far fewer goals. This may be more down to the loss of Dicko through injury that to the loss of 'the special one' as I think Graham a more than adequate replacement.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were still playing poorly with Dicko in the side earlier this season, I'm not saying we wouldn't be better off without him but he looked like he was missing Sako too.

The biggest difference this season for me is our inability to play out from the back.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were still playing poorly with Dicko in the side earlier this season, I'm not saying we wouldn't be better off without him but he looked like he was missing Sako too.

The biggest difference this season for me is our inability to play out from the back.

To be fair at the start of the season we were experimenting with that narrow formation $$$$e with Dave on the left.

I think Dicko, well a player like Dicko, is key as we miss his ability to stretch the opposition and allow our team to play higher up the pitch, we saw it last season when we were without him how much we missed him.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair at the start of the season we were experimenting with that narrow formation $$$$e with Dave on the left.

I think Dicko, well a player like Dicko, is key as we miss his ability to stretch the opposition and allow our team to play higher up the pitch, we saw it last season when we were without him how much we missed him.

That's true, still think Sako was a massive loss and the amount of time it has taken for Kenny to realise Graham was our best option was ridiculous. A proper number 10 would help us play higher up the pitch as well.

Solve one problem though and another chink appears, how to protect a shaky defence and still threaten at the other end?

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
People have already touched upon it but the three biggest problems have been:

1. The loss of genuine quality in Sako and his ability to get us up the pitch.
2. The loss of Dicko whose pace and ability to occupy defenders enabled us to play higher up the pitch (and conversely didn't allow the opposition to play such a high defensive line).
3. Stearman's ability to bring the ball out of defence. Without him, our distribution has been poor which immediately invites pressure back onto us.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There isn't any style. The football is utter dross of the highest order.

D

Deleted member 4023

Quite simply - Jacketts 'Style of Football' is painful on the eye & about as entertaining as watching paint dry. (Guaranteed to get the early birds flying of the shelves next season)

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There isn't any style. The football is utter dross of the highest order.

+1, I think a lot more fans, myself included, would be a lot more patient if we could see the team working towards a certain philosophy/style of play.

However, we have tactically been all over the place this season and show no evidence of working to an end goal.

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We used to play at a higher tempo than what we do now.. We also used to press the opposition far better than what we do now.

Clifton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very similar to his interviews - dire, dull and lacking character.

P

Paul76

2. The loss of Dicko whose pace and ability to occupy defenders enabled us to play higher up the pitch (and conversely didn't allow the opposition to play such a high defensive line).
3. Stearman's ability to bring the ball out of defence. Without him, our distribution has been poor which immediately invites pressure back onto us.

Voice of reason.

With the 3 above players our team would be transformed.

bigbadwolftoo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We used to play at a higher tempo than what we do now.. We also used to press the opposition far better than what we do now.

We did play some football once. Not seen much of it for awhile now. JK has lost the plot.

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
+1, I think a lot more fans, myself included, would be a lot more patient if we could see the team working towards a certain philosophy/style of play.

However, we have tactically been all over the place this season and show no evidence of working to an end goal.

Bring back Staale

D

Deleted member 4023

Might be boring/dull as dishwater - but we'll all take the three points (again).

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Negative and deep, wing play and predictable

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Most that needs to be said has already been said above - but the one thing that baffles me is that when Kenny came to the club, he said that he wanted to deliver "attractive, attacking football".

What we've been playing is anything but attacking and attractive.

It's been the complete opposite - Defensive and dull.

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We play with such fear these days. Don't forget last season at home against Ipswich in a must win game, and we set out to avoid losing.

The_Blade

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We played from the back in the 3rd tier. This season is hoof ball and it's dreadful to watch. Take a look at any team near the top and they play football!

D

Deleted member 4456

Our football, frankly, sucks at the moment. Long balls down the channels and a distinct lack of technical ability, Graham aside. This situation needs to change.

D

Deleted member 3545

Football under KJ reminds me of football under Hoddle

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was paying attention to how the Premier League sides were set up on Match of the Day yesterday and a lot of them do play 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 or variations of one up top, very few were playing with 2 strikers so the initial set up Jackett plays isn't too different to what the more successful sides do, the difference is in the type of players he selects to play in those forward positions.

I don't hate Dave Edwards, I just don't think he fits into a side, any side that tries to play a possession based game, especially in the pivotal #10 role, or attacking midfield/inside forward call it what you will, he is totally the wrong kind of player. Just looking at the type of players the Prem sides picked for that role or a similar one yesterday

Cabaye at Palace
Emnes then Sigurdsson for Swansea
Barkley for Everton
Affelay for Stoke
Hoolahan for Norwich
Alli and Lamela for Spurs - They went old school with 2 Inside Forwards!
Morrison at West Brom
Ayoze Perez at Newcastle
Ozil at Arsenal
Arter at Bournemouth
Herrera at Man U
Oscar at Chelsea

None of those players in those roles have the same game about them as Edwards, they are mostly technical, tricky, intelligent, can pass, can score, can go passed players. Yes they cost more but it's the type of player selected in those roles that is key not how much they cost, Edwards is not that player and isn't suited to that role.

Then you can look at the wider roles, we all love a winger at Wolves and Graham has started really well and Henry despite the stick he gets is still decent at this level, but the personnel aren't right for wingers. Afobe is not the kind of forward to get on the end of crosses, he needs to play off through balls, off the shoulder of the last defender, he needs someone to link with, maybe if we had that more technical #10 we could play more through the middle of teams and not rely so much on getting it wide and whipping balls in.

Watching the highlights of the Everton and Stoke game showed me how far behind we have fallen in comparison to 2 sides who we were trying to emulate just a few short years ago, Bojan, Shaqiri and Arnautovic on one side, Lukaku, Kone and Deulofeu on the other, none of those wide players are traditional wingers, the centre forwards aren't just heading machines, the game was packed with exciting play and some tremendous goals, we are so far away from that it is untrue. It isn't just about the money it's about how we aren't progressive as a club and seem to be stuck in the traditional British way of playing which is out dated, you need more than just hard workers, you need skilled workers and I don't think Jackett is prepared to give players license and is too rigid.

E

Essex Wolf

Summed up nicely.

P

Paul76

I think Kenny Jackett is restricted at the moment with the players he's got at his disposal.

If adequate replacements are bought into the club to replace the quality we've lost, then I'd expect us to revert to the kind of football we saw in league one and large parts of last season.

E

Essex Wolf

I think Kenny Jackett is restricted at the moment with the players he's got at his disposal.

If adequate replacements are bought into the club to replace the quality we've lost, then I'd expect us to revert to the kind of football we saw in league one and large parts of last season.

Whilst I sort of get your point Paul what about the vast number of players Jackett has signed that have been pushed out or hardly featured? Coady has only just started to feature properly as such whilst Byrne is still it seems a bit part player. Saville and Rowe have been unloaded, Holt a total waste of a signing and Ojo has almost become a will he won't he player. Wallace, what exactly was the point of his signing? It's Jackett that's wasted time and money in many cases so is any restriction partly a case of his own doing?

Said a few days back, as I've been saying a long while now and still maintain it the case that quality over quantity each and every time. As such if Jackett has a limited budget surely it's better to spend it on quality as opposed to the way he's gone about things?

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was paying attention to how the Premier League sides were set up on Match of the Day yesterday and a lot of them do play 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 or variations of one up top, very few were playing with 2 strikers so the initial set up Jackett plays isn't too different to what the more successful sides do, the difference is in the type of players he selects to play in those forward positions.

I don't hate Dave Edwards, I just don't think he fits into a side, any side that tries to play a possession based game, especially in the pivotal #10 role, or attacking midfield/inside forward call it what you will, he is totally the wrong kind of player. Just looking at the type of players the Prem sides picked for that role or a similar one yesterday

Cabaye at Palace
Barkley for Everton
Affelay for Stoke
Hoolahan for Norwich
Morrison at West Brom
Ayoze Perez at Newcastle
Ozil at Arsenal
Arter at Bournemouth
Herrera at Man U
Oscar at Chelsea

None of those players in those roles have the same game about them as Edwards, they are mostly technical, tricky, intelligent, can pass, can score, can go passed players. Yes they cost more but it's the type of player selected in those roles that is key not how much they cost, Edwards is not that player and isn't suited to that role.

Then you can look at the wider roles, we all love a winger at Wolves and Graham has started really well and Henry despite the stick he gets is still decent at this level, but the personnel aren't right for wingers. Afobe is not the kind of forward to get on the end of crosses, he needs to play off through balls, off the shoulder of the last defender, he needs someone to link with, maybe if we had that more technical #10 we could play more through the middle of teams and not rely so much on getting it wide and whipping balls in.

Watching the highlights of the Everton and Stoke game showed me how far behind we have fallen in comparison to 2 sides who we were trying to emulate just a few short years ago, Bojan, Shaqiri and Arnautovic on one side, Lukaku, Kone and Deulofeu on the other, none of those wide players are traditional wingers, the centre forwards aren't just heading machines, the game was packed with exciting play and some tremendous goals, we are so far away from that it is untrue. It isn't just about the money it's about how we aren't progressive as a club and seem to be stuck in the traditional British way of playing which is out dated, you need more than just hard workers, you need skilled workers and I don't think Jackett is prepared to give players license and is too rigid.

This pretty much sums it up. But could Wallace, Byrne or Ojo fulfill this role? We will never know.

E

Essex Wolf

This pretty much sums it up. But could Wallace, Byrne or Ojo fulfill this role? We will never know.

But is it a case of never knowing PW because Jackett doesn't play them that often or in the case of Wallace virtually at all?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think this is fair comment. We played some nice football last season when we had the likes of Sako available, and with Graham starting to shine, there are signs of this in spells now. The first half against Leeds was excellent until they equalised, and could not be said to be turgid.

For me the issue remains the defence, and as someone noted earlier, the confidence and ability to play the ball out. This allows time for the team to push up and support the forwards. Trouble is with the current players, we have been caught on the break, conceded a goal and the lack of confidence and experience has seen us fall apart.

P

Paul76

Whilst I sort of get your point Paul what about the vast number of players Jackett has signed that have been pushed out or hardly featured? Coady has only just started to feature properly as such whilst Byrne is still it seems a bit part player. Saville and Rowe have been unloaded, Holt a total waste of a signing and Ojo has almost become a will he won't he player. Wallace, what exactly was the point of his signing? It's Jackett that's wasted time and money in many cases so is any restriction partly a case of his own doing?

Said a few days back, as I've been saying a long while now and still maintain it the case that quality over quantity each and every time. As such if Jackett has a limited budget surely it's better to spend it on quality as opposed to the way he's gone about things?

Coady has been around the match day squad since day one. It was only the form of Jack that kept him out after Coady got sent off. We needed another CM for cover. Price is now injured and Coady has come in and played well.

Byrne has also been around the squad and he's been kept out. People may not agree with him being left out but that's the managers choice. Bryne is now beginning to get involved more and I'd expect to see him more of him from now on. I think he'll be a good signing.

Wallace was bought from League two and he's still young. You can't always expect these young players to come from lower divisions and hit the ground running. I'm sure with further development we'll see Wallace in the future. Maybe we won't, he was bought for his potential.

Holt was bought for cover. Simple as that.

Saville is like Wallace I suppose. He's young and still learning his trade. We bought him for his potential. It's not too late for him.

Rowe was a free transfer. Hampered by injury from the start. It's a shame with him but no big loss. We'll get a transfer fee for him no doubt in the future.

All the above players except Coady have been bought for very low transfer fees. We're shopping at Aldi, buying young players with potential.

KJ now needs proven quality with experience to help the youngsters.

He's stated this twice in the last ten days.

Me Babbies

Reaction score

I think we are also missing the defending from the front that Dicko gave us. Afobe simply doesn't do it which means the opposing defenders can bring the ball out to press our midfield which can leave us short if the ball is moved quick enough.

P

Phys Ed Wolf

Pretty much everything has been touched upon so far but I'd just like to add that not once in the second half against Reading did Ikeme even look to bowl the ball out to his full backs. In fact, I'd be pretty certain to add the full backs didn't even look to pull wide to receive the ball.
Every single time the ball was kicked long to Afobe for a less than 50/50 chance of retention which meant the ball came straight back with Reading in possession.
Not the basis from which to build an attacking side imo.

W

wolfofwolvesstreet

Noticed this too. And the lofted balls from our defenders, often to Henry, which he has little chance doomg anything with.

Games can be won or lost by margins, simple thing that could be addressed - have to wonder why it's not been picked up by the coaching staff though.

P

Paul76

We've reverted to the way Mick used to play.

The only problem is, we ain't got that sort of player to win the 50/50 balls.

Chiswick_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Cabaye at Palace
Barkley for Everton
Affelay for Stoke
Hoolahan for Norwich
Morrison at West Brom
Ayoze Perez at Newcastle
Ozil at Arsenal
Arter at Bournemouth
Herrera at Man U
Oscar at Chelsea

Very well put. I think you missed from your list the player that absolutely epitomises the number 10 role...David Silva. Sadly, Edwards is miles from that sort of standard.

Kenny is definitely in the cautious camp of management. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. After all, Mourinho, Van Gaal etc are very successful exponents of that type of strategy.

I think Wolves situation is very similar to that of Liverpool. When Liverpool were a Gerrard slip away from the title, they had a rampant front three of Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling. Similarly, for us it was Dicko, Sako and Afobe.
With such a strong attacking unit, that are great on the break, you can afford to have a back 7 that sit deep, break up play and then get it forward to your attackers. The likes of McDonald and Price are great in this sort of system.

However, remove that front 3, and you really don't have much else. They ARE your goal threat and creativity in one. The problem this season for me is that we have been unable to either, a) continue with the same style but adequately replace Dicko and Sako (which has the knock on effect of rendering Afobe ineffective at best and almost obsolete at worst) b) we haven't been able to evolve the way of playing into an effective style that gets the best out of the personnel, formation or strategy we pick.

We're really between a rock and a hard place. Kenny quickly needs to decide what it's going to be 2014 MKII, or a completely new model otherwise I fear we'll continue to witness these inconsistent performances.

E

Essex Wolf

Coady has been around the match day squad since day one. It was only the form of Jack that kept him out after Coady got sent off. We needed another CM for cover. Price is now injured and Coady has come in and played well.

Byrne has also been around the squad and he's been kept out. People may not agree with him being left out but that's the managers choice. Bryne is now beginning to get involved more and I'd expect to see him more of him from now on. I think he'll be a good signing.

Wallace was bought from League two and he's still young. You can't always expect these young players to come from lower divisions and hit the ground running. I'm sure with further development we'll see Wallace in the future. Maybe we won't, he was bought for his potential.

Holt was bought for cover. Simple as that.

Saville is like Wallace I suppose. He's young and still learning his trade. We bought him for his potential. It's not too late for him.

Rowe was a free transfer. Hampered by injury from the start. It's a shame with him but no big loss. We'll get a transfer fee for him no doubt in the future.

All the above players except Coady have been bought for very low transfer fees. We're shopping at Aldi, buying young players with potential.

KJ now needs proven quality with experience to help the youngsters.

He's stated this twice in the last ten days.

I agree and accept some of the players mentioned have been in and around the squad but Coady was a big signing in the grand scheme of things but hardly used at all other than when Jackett seemed to have little choice.

Byrne when he played at blouse looked a very good player who caused all sorts of problems yet was then given just 45 minutes the next game before dropped for no apparent reason. Managers choice it may be Paul but with the way Jackett has gone about his job much of this season I'd say he's got a great deal wrong.

As for Wallace. I don't blame him at all but he was signed with many positives being spoken yet he has barely featured. I always said I felt his signing was a waste voicing concern that looking a good player in L2 counted for little in the championship. He may well yet become a cracking player for Wolves and hope he does but for me he is just another of the far too many Jackett has signed and for no positive gain at all in the here and now which is when it was needed this season after the loss of Sako.

Holt, total waste of a signing with how Jackett has, or should I say hasn't, utilised him.

Saville, another waste of money as it stands. Unlike some though I don't have a downer on Saville but just feel he wasn't given much chance and Jackett unloaded him like a hot potato because he didn't know what else to do. Onto Rowe, yes injuries took their toll but even when he was available Jackett played him as a FB which he most certainly is not. Case of trying to fit a round peg in a square hole.

And I fully agree re Jackett needing proven quality with experience which is what I and many others have been saying a long while now and that quality over quantity every time. The loss of Sako and the comments from the club indicated quite clearly what was needed, Wolves just failed to achieve what was needed.

Back
Top Bottom