Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves Southampton Verdict

djmikeydickens

Reaction score
Was a grind but think we just about deserved it. In future got to get Neto on the left and Nunes alongside Neves. Game passed Moutinho by, he's been brilliant for us but the time has come for more a sub role. As a short cameo fair play to Hwang, up top did a better job than anyone else after Sasa went off. Jonny was much improved after an indifferent start to the game he was very good second half. Kilman...how he isn't in the England squad is beyond me..

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa - 4 - Flapped at that cross rather than punching it, so lucky.
Jonny - 6 - Probably his best performance this season, hopefully he's growing into it. Still worry about him greatly 1v1 anyone with pace.
Collins - 7 - Solid.
Kilman - 7 - Solid, unlucky to not have an assist as well.
RAN - 7 - Much better today, and really gives us a threat down this left hand side, terrific link up with Podence at times.
Neves - 7 - Unbelievable block on Aribo to avoid a tap in, vintage as usual.
Moutinho - 5 - I just think he's a bit of a passenger right now because he doesn't have the legs for it any more, did well defensively but I'd love for us to go with a two man midfield of Nunes-Neves.
Nunes - 9 - MotM, what a performance. When the game opened up, he really comes into his own. Press resistant, won clever fouls, at the center of all of our counter attacks, and a fantastic ball for the goal. He needs space to thrive.
Podence - 8 - I've criticised him in the first few games, but he was quality today. Wish he could be more consistent.
Neto - 6 - Still feel he's very hit and miss, the Arsenal interest I think turned his head, hopefully he'll improve to the level we know he can.
Koladzjic - 5 - Didn't really do a great deal to be honest, but he hasn't even trained yet, just hope his injury isn't serious.

Guedes - Still feel he's adjusting to the physicality and speed of the Premier League, but I do have faith in him. It'll come.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Got a bit lucky and weren't particularly convincing... Played well for first 10-15 mins, then it was pretty even. Southampton shaded second half and perhaps a bit unlucky not to equalise, but at the same time we were obviously unlucky with the injuries and could have got a 2nd goal. I guess we got what we needed in the end, which is the most important thing. Think that was the best I've seen RAN play for 90mins, others were a little inconsistent.
If only we'd got that 2nd CF in the window...!

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was what we needed. A hard fought and a scrappy win.

Enjoyable game and end to end at times. Think we deserved the win in the end.

Signs are there that we can be a top team once we click.

Still too tame with the attacking play and a few wrong choices made at times.

Plusses for me is we have conceded 4 in 6 with Max and Collins looking like a great fit in the middle. Jonny MOTM for me and RAN also excellent. Midfield was fairly solid. Thought Nunes looked a bit dissintetested at times early on but that assist was superb and he was immense second half, bossed it. Podence was fantastic first half.

What I will say, and probably be shot for it but hey ho, is Neto needs to be much better. Poor choices, keeps the ball too long and a bad end product today. He hasn’t got a right foot and needs to be on the left if he plays. The chance he missed from the first half I need to see again because from where I was there were 2 players there for a tap in if he passed. A belter of a player there for sure though.

Very happy with the win me ****ing babbies.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa 6
Still looks shaky at times

Jonny 6
Did OK, gave the ball away a fair clip but also had some nice forays forward. Bit of a traffic cone 1v1 but their winger was hopeless so didn't hurt and he made a few good last ditch blocks. Much better 2nd half after a bit of a beast in the 1st.
Motm shouts hilarious
Still shouldn't start

Collins 6
Wobbly again in possession at times but also progressed the ball well. Got shunted around by Adams a bit.

Kilman 8
Was excellent all game. So good on the ball.

RAN 8
Fantastic going forwards, constantly running and making things happen. Joao could have played him in 3 times but obviously ignored him and played it sideways

Neves 7
Didn't really get into the game, was workman like but contributed.

Moutinho 6
Not great, such scared passing. RAN clean through on the left and he just checks back constantly

Nunes 9
Ran the show. Dribbling, winning ball back and passing. The whole lot. What a player. Also was calling the shots towards the end, dictating where ball went.

Neto 5
Sheesh. Butchered so many chances to score. Hasn't got the quality to play on the right. Works really hard though providing cover.

Sasa 6
Some nice touches, very isolated but actually got into the box which I'd forgotten was allowed to happen. Some promise there.

Podence 8
Made us tick, opened them up and was very intelligent with the ball.

Guedes 4
Ooff

Fans who booed Hwang 0. ****s who should feel ashamed of themselves.

Fans who responded supporting him 10

Subs too late, but some lovely football.

Some promising signs
Agree in the main, but think Jonny did better than a 6. Some great runs 2nd half and looked mostly solid.

Not sure how Nunes gets a 9. Feel he still wants to play the game far too slowly and dribbles into blind alleys. Large portions of the game passed him by. Loads of potential but a 7 at most for me. Maybe I’ll feel different when I watch it back.

Totally agree on Guedes. Is he fully fit? Looks really slow and unable to change pace.

Anyone booing a Wolves player onto the pitch can get ****ed.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
We bloody needed that. We played better at times this season and didn’t win so we’ll take it. Nunes and Jonny outstanding. Things suddenly ain’t perfect but it’s nice to enjoy a Saturday night.

Wolf Pack leader

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just about deserved it

Kilman is the best left footed English centre half bar none

Collins also did well
Jonny was better
Neves and Joao not at their best

Neto very very poor - no lack of effort but execution terrible

Nunes - best player on the pitch by a mile - to see a Wolves midfielder running positively forward is a wonderful sight - he’s going to be fabulous for us if used in right way

Bruno - very poor, we need to play 4-2-3-1

With Nunes with Neves and Podence in the No 10

Substitutions far too late and has he not realised that Neto is far more comfortable on the left !!

I fear he is wasting the best squad we have ever had in the Premier league

ToastedWanderer

Groupie
Reaction score
Blimey, I must have watched a different game. Southampton had a couple of spells, the only one that hit the net was when they started playing basketball.

A good goal to see out the first half, some good performances, especially at the back again and a comfortable last 5 minutes for our first win against a team in form. Cheer up..

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Not sure how Nunes gets a 9. Feel he still wants to play the game far too slowly and dribbles into blind alleys. Large portions of the game passed him by. Loads of potential but a 7 at most for me. Maybe I’ll feel different when I watch it back.

Totally agree on Guedes. Is he fully fit? Looks really slow and unable to change pace.

Anyone booing a Wolves player onto the pitch can get ****ed.
3rd most touches, 3rd in tackles, 2nd in clearances and by far and away most yards dribbled. Assist and created another two big chances Neto butchered. Also won 4 free kicks.

Was miles better than other two in midfield. Streets ahead, not a chance we win without him.

He actually injects a bit of tempo into the game the other two (particularly Joao) desperately slow it down.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Well first of all I want to say a big well done to the crowd! At a time when negativity could have drained all the energy from the team, the crowd really got behind them and maybe the energy for the goal came from that. Also for those supporting Hwang after the pathetic booing of some so called fans.

In terms of the team, I said I didn't like the line up before KO and, although I'm delighted we won, I'm still not convinced it's right. Love Mouts, but not at all sure what he's contributing. Really think we'd be better with Nunes and Neves sitting in a 4231. Nunes was wonderful, not sure he lost the ball before the 93rd minute, takes it in difficult positions and just holds the opposition off, to get an assist as well is brilliant.

Kilman also immense, so good in the air and on the ground, physically dominant, just a colossus.

RAN also did well at both ends of the pitch, although I'm not sure why he doesn't understand that if we're defending a lead and his legs have gone he should just sit. Maybe lack of practice!

Neves superb defensively today if not as creative as usual.

Neto tried hard, feel he'd be so much better on the left. Podence battled away, did OK, let's hope he's not top scorer for long! Collins made a couple of mistakes, but also some excellent defending, he'll only get better. Jonny, maybe starting to find some of his old form, could have had a brilliant goal. Kalajdzic, well let's just leave any judgement for now.

So very much a work in progress, but at least we're going the right way today, so let's be grateful.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We weren't great. Thought we were probably better in the first half and didn't come out throwing the game away in the second at least, but certainly didn't double down after taking the lead.

Defence did alright but Collins needs to be a little sharper with his passing. Jonny and RAN much improved. Midfield still looks disjointed to me - Nunes far too far forward to make the impact we know he can (although even out of position he had a very good game.) Moutinho or Neves is always too deep and the opposition always seem to be in the right place to counter or pick up second balls. We also rarely seem to overload even when we are chasing the game - I counted three times in the second half where the ball went to a player out wide and nobody went with them - if you have Sasa in the centre, fine, but at the time we had Podence playing the false nine and over 20 minutes to play. As a result cut backs drifted unchallenged through the area and launched an opposition counter.

It is all a little disjointed - hopefully time will bring a more cohesive style and improved performances, but today was very scrappy. Still, I guess Bruno will take the three points and wax lyrical about how we controlled the game, even if deep down he will know there's a long way to go.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8455jwf

3 points but still totally underwhelmed. No identity, too many tippy tappy players, no runners from midfield for our 'maestro midfield' to pass to, rubbish game management again. Feels strange not to be buzzing after a victory.
No runners from midfield?
Did you see the goal, the Neto miss, the 2x crosses Neto butchered which would have been tap ins. All from midfield running from Nunes.

Wolf of Wall Heath

Reaction score
Thought Jonny and RAN were outstanding today. Neto worked hard but wasteful. We deserved the three points though. It’s lovely to come home and see us just south of mid table.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa - 5.5 not at his best
Jonny - 6.5 a shaky first 10 mins but he grew into the game, easily his best performance this season. Gives me hope he's not shot
Collins - 7 really solid. Love him
Kilman - 8 aw he's a beaut of a player
RAN - 7 sooo much talent, played alright
Neves - 7 - good but not at his best
Moutinho - 7 good
Nunes - 8 read the game well; really impressive attacking performance
Pod - 8 at his best, MOTM for me, if this was his standard level he'd be one our top players
Neto - 5 I was annoyed by the numpties in front of me who hated Traore last year but were singing his name every time Neto ****ed up... however, he wasn't great again. Plenty of effort though
Koladzjic - 6.5 looked alright tbf, offers something different

Traore - 7.5 love him. He was a bit cack first couple of touches but then won a few headers and played well
Hwang - 7 got stuck in, played alright

Happy with that. The support for the lads and Lage today, considering recent performances, was really classy. Us in the Bully were great; and it was nice hearing the South Bank really getting behind us. The Neanderthals in front of me can **** off... they tried to hide it but I know they were ****ed off we won today.

P.S. what's the point of Southampton? The Derby County of the South. A nothing town with an identikit ground and crap support. Imagine always getting done in your derby, I'd give up football.

Wolf Pack leader

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Would it work playing 4-2-3-1

With neves and new Traore as the 2 and Nunes middle of the three ?

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
3rd most touches, 3rd in tackles, 2nd in clearances and by far and away most yards dribbled. Assist and created another two big chances Neto butchered. Also won 4 free kicks.

Was miles better than other two in midfield. Streets ahead, not a chance we win without him.

He actually injects a bit of tempo into the game the other two (particularly Joao) desperately slow it down.
Not making a case he was bad or that Neves & Moutinho were better, I thought he played well. Just not as blown away as some and didn’t really see it as a 9/10.
Like I said when I watch it back maybe I’ll see it differently.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was what we needed. A hard fought and a scrappy win.

Enjoyable game and end to end at times. Think we deserved the win in the end.

Signs are there that we can be a top team once we click.

Still too tame with the attacking play and a few wrong choices made at times.

Plusses for me is we have conceded 4 in 6 with Max and Collins looking like a great fit in the middle. Jonny MOTM for me and RAN also excellent. Midfield was fairly solid. Thought Nunes looked a bit dissintetested at times early on but that assist was superb and he was immense second half, bossed it. Podence was fantastic first half.

What I will say, and probably be shot for it but hey ho, is Neto needs to be much better. Poor choices, keeps the ball too long and a bad end product today. He hasn’t got a right foot and needs to be on the left if he plays. The chance he missed from the first half I need to see again because from where I was there were 2 players there for a tap in if he passed. A belter of a player there for sure though.

Very happy with the win me ****ing babbies.
I think I just saw you walking your dog. Not that I’m stalking you.

I just happened to be hiding in that bush holding binoculars.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Blimey, we needed that win even if it was somewhat unconvincing at times.

There were moments again where with better decision making we could have scored more. You can't blame Lage for that. I do think there are things Lage should have changed earlier. Neto just never looked really comfortable on the right. I'm surprised Lage didn't change it. I don't think it would make much difference where you play Podence & Guedes, but Neto would be better on the left in my opinion.

I think Nunes looked good and performed well, but I'm not convinced that's the best position for him long-term. He seemed too far forward at times and looked his best when he was deeper and able to run at the Southampton defence.

We were fortunate. If Che Adams could time his jump better he would have had a goal instead of using his arm. A bit of luck for us but Saints will be kicking themselves that they didn't get a goal

My Man of the Match was Otto. I thought he had his best game of the season so far. Maybe the competition with Semedo is bringing the best out of him again.

And the goal music is still ****.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were ok, perhaps lucky with a win when a draw a fairer result. And boy did we need those 3 points as it's likely we'll get none in the next 4 games. Hope I'm wrong but our progress could be severely set back in the next few games. Looking at our first 6 fixtures we really should be on around 12/13 pts now so well down.
I was on a right high after getting 3 points, now I’m suicidal, have a great night

colincameron

Reaction score
Well first of all I want to say a big well done to the crowd! At a time when negativity could have drained all the energy from the team, the crowd really got behind them and maybe the energy for the goal came from that. Also for those supporting Hwang after the pathetic booing of some so called fans.

In terms of the team, I said I didn't like the line up before KO and, although I'm delighted we won, I'm still not convinced it's right. Love Mouts, but not at all sure what he's contributing. Really think we'd be better with Nunes and Neves sitting in a 4231. Nunes was wonderful, not sure he lost the ball before the 93rd minute, takes it in difficult positions and just holds the opposition off, to get an assist as well is brilliant.

Kilman also immense, so good in the air and on the ground, physically dominant, just a colossus.

RAN also did well at both ends of the pitch, although I'm not sure why he doesn't understand that if we're defending a lead and his legs have gone he should just sit. Maybe lack of practice!

Neves superb defensively today if not as creative as usual.

Neto tried hard, feel he'd be so much better on the left. Podence battled away, did OK, let's hope he's not top scorer for long! Collins made a couple of mistakes, but also some excellent defending, he'll only get better. Jonny, maybe starting to find some of his old form, could have had a brilliant goal. Kalajdzic, well let's just leave any judgement for now.

So very much a work in progress, but at least we're going the right way today, so let's be grateful.
Multiple nails on multiple heads, great post

Ditton Wolf

Reaction score
A win and 3 points most important for today.
The new players are quality and perhaps they need a bit of time to settle and get used to the intensity of the league and playing regularly together.

Only concern I have is the intensity of our play sometimes and not being quick to the second ball.

Listened to a few comments around Raul not playing from groin to fatigue. Hope it’s not a fall out with the manager through non selection and he was effectively dropped ’.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were marginally the better team but struggled to turn possession into real chances. That said, we did have a number of breaks where I felt Neto and Nunes linked well. Unfortunately Neto just can't play on the right as he's so left footed - at least if he's effectively playing as a winger. Checking the stats, we hardly had any shots and again failed to work the keeper. Saints did more but couldn't make them pay.

Plus points - Podence had an excellent day. Neto worked super hard, defence, and Nunes who is going to be a wonderful signing. Pleased to see Hwang played down the middle when he came on. 3 points.

Minus points - multiple times we failed to support whoever was breaking forwards in the second half, embarrassingly so sometimes. Subs too late again and we were very lucky we didn't concede.

Not sure we looked any different to the other games this season except that Nunes did what Dendoncker didn't - looked forwards! Except for once and he apologised for that. Nothing against Doncks but we really missed that.

Lage saved his job today I suspect. He'll get until the world cup now unless things turn bad.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agree. He's the player we've been crying out for for years now. Instead of the midfield looking like treacle he gets it and looks to drive forward. He's the player that's gonna make the difference this season. Him and Collins are the exact right players we needed... well done Wolves. I was a bit gutted about MGW leaving, and I think him staying and no Guedes would've been better, but this transfer window has been a total success.

Before the game in the Hogs watching the Merseyside derby it was great seeing Coady do well, but he's better off there and we're better off with what we've got. UTW

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Imagine always getting done in your derby, I'd give up football.
I don't think we need much of a stretch of the imagination there sadly. Good job we haven't all given up.

Ratings sound about right though.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho just cannot pass a ball other than sideways or back, Neto needs dropping was generally poor today (has the transfer speculation got to him)
Nunes was excellent, Guedes was nothing special, Kilman perfect as always, Collins will improve still makes a few un called for errors.
Ran was ok so was Jonny and Neves, Podence should play every game.
Kaleidoscope was ok although we may not see much of him.
Lage is out of his depth especially with his reluctance to sub.

Balti Pie

Reaction score
Steady performance with not a great deal between both teams.

Jonny my Motm closely followed by Nunes who I thought was excellent. Podence was very good also. Neto kept pushing although nothing really came off for him. We didn't get Neves in the game enough. Max & Collins working well together.

Bit concerned about Moutinho's form. Just not impacting games enough for me at the minute. He's tidy enough, but not imposing himself. Hope he picks up.

Back
Top Bottom