Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves Southampton Verdict

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had one guy slagging off I think it was Podence for not going straight for goal after we had a load of pressure against, about 35 passes later pressure eased and everything back under control

Also don’t see the point off any fans slagging off players what good does it do to there confidence??

Sasa will need to bulk up a bit otherwise he will get battered every game
Was that midway through the second half when we had a two on two or two on three situation, but kept the ball and finally managed to calm it down and take some of the sting out of what had become a basketball game?

That ninety seconds or so (that's how long it felt) was really important and something that feels like it's been sorely missing for a long time

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Btw how **** are Southampton fans. Got to be up there with Fulham for the worst in the league
I lived in Southampton for a bit in the 90s. It's a proper town, docks, proper estates etc.; it surprises me that they get done by Pompey whenever they play. But the fans they take away... absolutely useless. They were giving it the biggun in the station but you could see them melting as they walked towards the ground. One Wolves lad shouted at them and they shut the **** up. In the ground they might as well not bothered...

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Moutinho is better when he doesn't have the ball and harries and shields. He is slow and lacks creativity on the ball. It's a part of the reason why our win percentage has always been awful when we have 60% of the ball. Dunno how you watch him and think he excels in games like that.

On Neves:

Bottom 40% shot creating, good but not great progressive passing numbers. He's a defensive midfielder. Who cares about long passes? They rarely consistently create stuff.

Dunno why it is bad to be a defensive mid though. With Matheus next to him would give great balance.

Tbh it’s more about limiting Moutinho’s weaknesses and playing to his strengths rather than him being a game changer at this stage of his career. Ironically with Nunes in I actually thought Dendoncker would work well as the third mid. Hopefully Boubacar is the answer.

Re Neves I don’t think a DLM should be creating open chances but just starting the attack which he does. He’s also an excellent defensive midfielder but has much more to his game than your average player in that position, like a (poor man’s) Xabi Alonso or Pirlo

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Southampton probably felt a bit hard done by but on balance we deserved 3 points from a game after all the close matches, especially after putting in a shift as Mick used to say. Really enjoyed the performances of Nunes, Jonny and RAN. Podence cut out the silly mistakes that have plagued his start to the season and took the goal well, he is undoubtably the best finisher we have especially with Raul and Sasa off the pitch.
The centre backs and Sa were pretty much unflappable too. Neto frustrates but it will turn for him soon if he keeps working like that, I suspect the positive Adama will get more game time as well though.
I would say today is proof, if there was any doubt at all, Bruno has not lost the dressing room. Its going to be a difficult couple of games coming up but we certainly are good on the counter and if we have a fit striker or two I think we may well put some of those chances away with increasing frequency.
It was also proof that we as fans can still make some noise and make a difference. Great to see the key men enjoying the well deserved plaudits at the end, thats what we need, all in it together. UTW.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Tbh it’s more about limiting Moutinho’s weaknesses and playing to his strengths rather than him being a game changer at this stage of his career. Ironically with Nunes in I actually thought Dendoncker would work well as the third mid. Hopefully Boubacar is the answer.

Re Neves I don’t think a DLM should be creating open chances but just starting the attack which he does. He’s also an excellent defensive midfielder but has much more to his game than your average player in that position, like a (poor man’s) Xabi Alonso or Pirlo
I think Neves tempo is still too slow and sideways for a player of his talents, although he has improved it somewhat.

To me Joao has no starting role anymore other than perhaps games we will be under siege a bit (so maybe next 2). He really really limits us against teams who'll defend all game.

wolfinaguernsey

Reaction score
That was it just keep the ball as you say it was like a basketball match and we were able to slow it down

Was that midway through the second half when we had a two on two or two on three situation, but kept the ball and finally
managed to calm it down and take some of the sting out of what had become a basketball game?

That ninety seconds or so (that's how long it felt) was really important and something that feels like it's been sorely missing for a long time

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Neves tempo is still too slow and sideways for a player of his talents, although he has improved it somewhat.

To me Joao has no starting role anymore other than perhaps games we will be under siege a bit (so maybe next 2). He really really limits us against teams who'll defend all game.
Agree re Moutinho. Needs to be a carefully managed weapon at this stage.

Await Boubacar with baited breath I haven’t seen much of him play. But if he is an all rounder and with athleticism I think we’re on our way back to the 50s (probably not but ‘dreaming is for free’ as the great man said :) )

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just got home after a great day!
Absolutely ****ing buzzing!!!
Well done lads and fair play to Bruno, love the fact that;
a) We won and b) Bruno went round after and acknowledged all the fans. Brilliant!!!
Now time for bed, as well oiled!!! :tearsofjoy:

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just got home after a great day!
Absolutely ****ing buzzing!!!
Well done lads and fair play to Bruno, love the fact that;
a) We won and b) Bruno went round after and acknowledged all the fans. Brilliant!!!
Now time for bed, as well oiled!!! :tearsofjoy:
Would just like to add, thought most of the lads did well today but Jonny was my MOTM, thought he was immense!!!

L78

Reaction score
Podence 2 scuffs 2 goals keep on scuffing its working

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score
Would just like to add, thought most of the lads did well today but Jonny was my MOTM, thought he was immense!!!
Indeed, he has found the mojo again, a few really good performances now during the last matches.
We really need him to perform now, as we have only three fullbacks to use.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was on a right high after getting 3 points, now I’m suicidal, have a great night
I'm glad you enjoyed that today Ercall. I write it as I see it. It was an average performance BUT we got the win. Whatever you might think there is little from our performances so far to suggest we will get anything from Liverpool, City, Chelsea and WHU.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Deserved three points based on the first half, yet couldn't complain if we'd just taken one after allowing Southampton back into it. However, for once, we held on. Huge points considering the games coming up.

There are negatives, not least Guedes looking cumbersome and strangely disinterested when he came on at half time, but not the day to dwell on that. Better instead to see Nunes grow into the game and taking up dangerous forward positions while showing flashes of a nascent understanding with Neto, and also a long-overdue show of confidence from Podence.

Losing two strikers in the first 45 minutes when one of them didn't even play is the most Wolves thing ever, but hopefully the new lad won't be out for long. A relieved win.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The support today was brilliant. The South Bank were at it. We were our usual brilliant best in J10 ;) and I noticed the lower quadrant singing a few times.
But Bruno and/or the team were booed on Wed.
So that can’t be good or undone.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm glad you enjoyed that today Ercall. I write it as I see it. It was an average performance BUT we got the win. Whatever you might think there is little from our performances so far to suggest we will get anything from Liverpool, City, Chelsea and WHU.
Say you are correct (which I doubt) and we don't get anything, will you be ready to sack Bruno Norfolk?
I personally think will pick up 4 points from those but alot does rest on the fitness of Sasa and Raul

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What does this even mean?
I’ve seen a few posts that said the support was great but I also said that they were booed on Wed.

I would imagine that the players didn’t forget the booing and criticism is too easily remembered.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are playing them inverted but asking them to get on the outside and get crosses in. Crazy.

Reactions: Ian

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could we try Podence in midfield in place of Moutinho ? He's a tenacious so and so.
This would free up Adama to start.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got up at 03.45 to watch the match. Some observations;

Jonny and RAN played well. In fact the whole back 4 was sound.
Neto, for all that little came off for him, never hid.
Podence looked better, but not sure whether the goal was a shot, a dink or a pass, but not really bothered.
Sa had some nervy moments, but on the whole was fine.
Nunes, some moments of class.
Sasa did little. Obviously hope the injury is not too serious.
Guedes???
Mouts not as bad as some of the comments in the match thread or this thread - thought he did OK.

Obviously it's easier and more relaxing to watch the match when the result is already known, but overall I think Wolves played well and it was a step-up from the Bournemouth game.

Last edited:

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Strangely nervous about Sa. He looks a little shaky this season. Neto has still to find top form but maybe playing on the wrong side. Sasa was a handful and will keep opposition defenders busy. We can play off him. Hope he isnt seriously injured. My big concern was Guedes. Slow reactions, no signs of being fast and direct yet. Hope he comes good
Others played well but we do need to control games better. Southampton were all over us at times and we were a tad lucky in the end to win.

Madmalc

Reaction score
Now convinced Nunes is an upgrade, MOTM, for me this was his breakthrough game, now looking forward to watching him play every week.
Next one to shine will be Guedes really looking forward to watching his break through game.
Question is will Sasa get his break through game before him?
Then there's the yet to be seen Boubacar Traore.
Almost failed to mention Collins, he just shows how important completing transfers before a preseason is, plus the fact he's formed a brilliant partnership in defence.
So many individual future performances to look forward too.
As for the team, Bruno needs a breakthrough game, where he plays the individuals to their strengths, not their weaknesses, has a game plan and executes it with timely game changing substitutions.

It's amazing what a win can do.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reminded me a little of the Spurs away game. Really tight and just one goal in it but overall I felt we just did enough to deserve it.
Johnny Otto turned that game for me in second half his driving runs and overall positivity were so good to see. Nunes is starting to show his class as he adjusts to pace of the Premier league what a great signing.
Lastly the new striker going to need plenty of time to bed in.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I thought we played well most of the game, had a threat. With us desperate for a win I totally get why we dropped deep towards the end just to try and get over the line, it’s not good for the heart though! Especially after being stung by Newcastle last week.

Thought Nunes was outstanding, he’s so strong, surprisingly quick and has lovely passes. I do think him and Neves could become a real dynamic partnership. I’m not sure playing him further forward is his best place.

Special shout-out for Jonny too, not been anywhere near his best this season but he was very good yesterday.

We’re still not quite clicking in attack, we’re getting into some great areas but the final ball is poor or too slow or just don’t come at all. If we can start firing up front we’ll be a very good team.

Knew exactly what to expect from Southampton, they’re physical and aggressive but I thought we stood up to it pretty well. Couple of times we went down a bit softly but otherwise it was a very competitive performance.

Crowd was fantastic, stuck with the players all the way.

4 unbeaten and another clean sheet if you wanna take the positives, but the big one is the win, just takes some pressure off the whole club and we can go into this tricky run of games with a little more belief and confidence.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could we try Podence in midfield in place of Moutinho ? He's a tenacious so and so.
This would free up Adama to start.
Hell no. Pod doesn't get stuck in and gives the ball away far too much to play there. He's at his best when able to unlock defences from wide as he's capable of a lovely ball into the box.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Somehow Neto looks uncomfortable on the right, maybe he’s just not on top form yet, or maybe he’d be better on the left?

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Somehow Neto looks uncomfortable on the right, maybe he’s just not on top form yet, or maybe he’d be better on the left?
I’m a little concerned that the Arsenal interest has unsettled him.

Reaction score
I’m a little concerned that the Arsenal interest has unsettled him.

I’m not sure he’s thinking about arsenal when he’s dragging shots wide or slicing crosses out of play. Think he needs to concentrate on his game a bit more and go back to doing what he’s best at.

Reaction score
I’m hoping the introduction of a big lad up top encourages the full backs to put some early crosses in! RAN is the master of getting into the final third with a nice run then cruyff turn and play backwards.

Hugh Jarse

Reaction score
I thought it was a good win and solid performance for us when we were really feeling the pressure. There's plenty more to come from this side.

Nunes is finding his feet but Guedes needs to adapt to this league. Be interesting to see how big a part Moutinho plays when B Traore is around the squad as Traore should give extra energy.

Was worried when Sasa hit the deck and hope he's ok for next week. Jonny was massively improved.

Yes, Southampton had chances but you're not going to boss any team for 90 minutes in this league. Remember that they came out on top against a big spending Chelsea team last week.

There were scattered boos in the Steve Bull yesterday and it shocked me. We all know his limitations but that's bang out of order for our player. We needed him to fight for us yesterday and he grafted. Fair play to the South Bank.

There's points for us in the next 4 games if we continue to work hard.

Back
Top Bottom